Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Die cut sample solution

I've finally started doing samples of my die cuts. I had it in my mind that I wanted small (5.5 X 8 inch) binders that I could sit on the shelf next to my worktable. I got a couple of those, and page protectors to fit. Then I got started.

But I found it was too easy for the samples to slip out of the top of the page protectors when I handled the binders. So I bought the large Avery Elle pockets and they slide perfectly into the page protectors! I can close the top flap to keep everything inside. Eureka.

Just sharing something that worked for me. Having die cut samples within easy reach has been a great addition to my creative process.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That's pretty cool. Do you keep extras to use or just one of each? Are they labeled to correspond to your dies?

I also keep samples in Avery Elle pockets, just not in binders. My dies are in Avery Elle pockets. Since each pocket has a piece of cardstock in it a la Jennifer McGuire, the dies are on one side of the CS and the samples on the other. Or a separate pocket is used behind the die pocket, if I happen to have a bunch of extra die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I just have one of each. I thought I was going to start with my basic shapes, but then I realized that I use them all the time, I didn't really need samples. It's the unusual ones I forget I have, or don't know know what they look like. All those over the top Spellbinders layering dies - Exquisite this and Majestic that. I have not used them because I don't know exactly what they look like. And also every lace die I own (and I own quite a few). That's where I started. Every so often I do a few more. Yes, I print out a label and stick it on the page protector. I was just delighted to find that the pockets fit so perfectly inside them.

I'm like you, usually I shy away from binders. But this is second-level organizing (first level being where you put things and second level being a method of knowing what you have, like a cardstock sample ring). So the small binders appealed to me for this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I like it. And second level organizing describes it well. How do you connect the binder and your bin? I mean, if you decide to use sample XYZlace, how do you know where XYZlace die is in the bin?

Or do you just know it's in the lace section - that you don't have so many gazillions of dies that you can't easily locate it? And the pockets are the 7-3/8 x 5.5?

Inquiring minds...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a page protector with compartments (scraprack, I think) and each had a flap. and put them in a ring binder and the binder just sat there and I hardly used it. The way My mind works is out of sight out of mind. I gave most all of my die cuts away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I like it. And second level organizing describes it well. How do you connect the binder and your bin? I mean, if you decide to use sample XYZlace, how do you know where XYZlace die is in the bin?

Or do you just know it's in the lace section - that you don't have so many gazillions of dies that you can't easily locate it? And the pockets are the 7-3/8 x 5.5?

Inquiring minds...
Yes, these:

Avery Elle Large Pockets

You would be surprised at how small my entire stamp and die collection is. I read about these gals who truly need something like Evernote to keep track and I can't imagine it.

My dies are all on panels in two plastic shoeboxes, one with the panels running longwise and the other with the panels cut in half and going the other way. And most of that half-panel storage box is Nesties only. I have the magnetic panels in heavyweight page protectors - in the case of the half panels, I cut the top of the PPs off so they end up 6 inches high and side-load them, and the ring tab at the top works perfectly as a place to put a label.

This doesn't count my small but ever-growing collection of steel rule dies. As I get into more mixed media stuff, I need to be able to cut chipboard and cardboard and the like and I've fallen in love with Bigz dies. Storage of those is still a work in progress.

Second level organizing is so key for me. Yes, I need a place to put everything, but if I can't stand at my worktable and make decisions based on what I have, I figure what's the point of having it neatly stored?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Second level organizing is so key for me. Yes, I need a place to put everything, but if I can't stand at my worktable and make decisions based on what I have, I figure what's the point of having it neatly stored?
Perfectly stated... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Yes, these:

Avery Elle Large Pockets

You would be surprised at how small my entire stamp and die collection is. I read about these gals who truly need something like Evernote to keep track and I can't imagine it.

My dies are all on panels in two plastic shoeboxes, one with the panels running longwise and the other with the panels cut in half and going the other way. And most of that half-panel storage box is Nesties only. I have the magnetic panels in heavyweight page protectors - in the case of the half panels, I cut the top of the PPs off so they end up 6 inches high and side-load them, and the ring tab at the top works perfectly as a place to put a label.

This doesn't count my small but ever-growing collection of steel rule dies. As I get into more mixed media stuff, I need to be able to cut chipboard and cardboard and the like and I've fallen in love with Bigz dies. Storage of those is still a work in progress.

Pretty much agree. There are some items stored in the closet or other places that make sense being there, but I don't want to spend much time gathering.

That's why I unconsciously put my Cuttlebug on my computer desk, with dies/plates, etc., to my right in an Expedit cube, and lesser used die cutting items to my left in a drawer. It's all right there with a bit of a bicep stretch.

So *stations* are a big piece of organizing, including a small but tall IKEA table for paper trimming.

It's not at all perfect: stamping platforms, envelope punch board, ScorPal mainly lean against a piece of furniture on the floor, but I just swivel to pick them up. Reachability.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-05-2017 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Ha, sounds a lot like my room. I completely agree with you about "stations". It makes everything flow so much more easily. And I am lacking the space for a few stations I'd like to have, like you. My Scor pal is leaning against my secondary worktable, too, along with a few other things.

Know what I'd love to have in a perfect world? A Gelli plate station. I have Gelli's in four sizes, including the giant one. But setting up my worktable to use them is such a to-do that I don't Gelli very often. Once I get started it takes over my life for days. But that's because I can't just walk away from it, I have to clean up all the parts and pieces - plate, newspaper underlayer, brayer and sketchbook to brayer off on, paint, extenders, glazing liquid, stencils, mark makers, on and on. In a perfect world I could mess with the plate for a while, throw stuff that needs it in water and walk back to my worktable to do something else.

Hey, not that I am not incredibly grateful that I have my very own 10 X 12 room to use as my studio. I know there are people stamping out of closets, bins under beds, and on their kitchen tables. But a gal can dream.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

How funny. I Gelli Plate (verb) in the kitchen - stainless steel kitchen table covered with a plastic disposable tablecloth from Michael's that I've used umpteen times, tile floors. Almost everything is kept in a Raskog, with a few things in a buffet in the sort of dining room. It would be too much of a ruckus in the office/craft room, though the ugh beige berber carpet would turn many fun colors.

The only real issue with it is those items that could go with the Gelli Plate paraphernalia and also the craft room - stencils, watercolors, etc. I should get dups of the really cheap stuff.

My office/craft room is maybe smaller. It has a vaulted ceiling and big window in front of the crafting table that looks onto a tiny lake below, so feels bigger, though I generally close the shade due to direct sun in the afternoon and too much daydreaming if open.

I almost bought the little Gelli Plate shapes this afternoon at an LSS going-out-of business sale : ( but got distracted and forgot.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-05-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Rachel, I hope you and everyone in Florida stays safe - here comes another terrible hurricane.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Yes, right now the track is crossing right over my house.

And I just spent a day listening to people shouting the number FIVE at me on the television.

And here I am nattering on about needing a Gelli plate station. If next week I still have a Gelli plate I will be blissfully happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is so great...finding what works well for you! I love organization too

I had the strangest vision while reading this...I suddenly saw all my die cuts up on the wall...all lined up along the very top of the wall...all the way around my room! LOL
Actually, I would love to just look up around the room and see them...all sets a different color...going rainbow order, over and over again. LOL
Ahhh, then I would want all my stamps on my walls too!

Oooo when we retire and move to our forever home and I build my craft room...Maybe a wall or two? Then I wouldn't have room for the built in shelves for open storage! Uhg.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

And I just spent a day listening to people shouting the number FIVE at me on the television.

And here I am nattering on about needing a Gelli plate station. If next week I still have a Gelli plate I will be blissfully happy.
You're staying? No, you'll leave, right? I worry about all the animals too - where can they go. : (
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My craft room/office is 10 x 11 and organization is important. I have a great workstation with built in computer corner and overheads on one wall, "L" shaped, with my workspace under the window..love the south facing light. I have created a couple of stations, portable & foldup 25 x 16 table for cutting, trimming, desk drawers hold MISTI and stamping materials. I like to stand when I trim, so I get up and move to it. My husband and I also created a standup movable island out of a couple of kitchen cabinets with a laminate top, beadboard on back side..that is where I do all my die cutting. I have it under some wall shelves that hold all my dies and cling or rubber stamps in cassette cases and Avery pockets stacked in baskets, sorted by subject and tagged for quick grab. It works for me. I also have a full sized closet in this room that has shelves now and places to store backup materials or projects under way. Small, cozy but thankful for this space.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Hi Rachelrose, I am watching the storm and see they are still shouting FIVE in your area!! I know Miami and the Keys are under a mandatory evacuation, and hope you will get to someplace safe even if you are not forced to leave your home. The local news this a.m. said this hurricane is projected to be much worse than Andrew in 1992, with higher winds and a storm surge that did not occur back then. I'm sure you are keeping an eye on the news and hope you will check in with your friends here on SCS! Hopefully everyone anywhere in the path of this storm will heed the warnings, especially after seeing all the devastation caused by Harvey in Texas. Stay safe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

I originally purchased a zip lock bag system for embroidery thread. That worked well for small pieces. I then began using larger zip lock bags. Punching a hole at the bottom corners of a stack of bags and added a heavy piece cardboard for stability of the entire unit. Then I used binder rings to keep them together. It works well for me. I like to make die cuts to have on hand when I know I will be making lots of cards using specific dies. I am thinking that I might add index tabs to the sides of the bags so I can flip to a specific die cut. If I am using a die set I keep all the die cuts together regardless of colors or shapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Robin, pack up that darn Gelli plate, get the heck out of Dodge, and then you can be blissfully happy next week. No kidding, hoping you will stay safe.

I have a tv, but no dish, antenna or cable with which to watch, so most of the time, I stay blissfully unaware of what's going on in the world.

My LSS has all the sample diecuts mounted on black boards (the cuts are white). I've been thinking... and oh good grief, here I go again, but thinking about doing something similar. Especially my word dies. I have my dies sorted by category, but if a word die has a coordinating stamp set, it's stored with that instead of the category. I would love to be able to look up at a board and see what I have. I have one space available, right above my desk. Well, way above my desk. I can imagine a trip to the chiropractor will be in order...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Rachel, can you post a picture. I am a visual girl. Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes