View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
dini
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Default MIX240 - The Layered Look (9/1/2017)

Challenge Title:The Layered Look
Hostess: dini
Keyword: MIX240
VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE

Happy Mix-Ability day!
I've been spending several hours a week working on pet portrait commissions, and my favorite way to work is by laying down an underpainting with watercolor, and then adding details with colored pencil. The color of the underpainting is usually the highlight color of the area, and is what will show through between the pencil strokes. It's really helpful for darkening darker areas, too, where you don't want any white to show through.

The underpainting stage can be a bit of an ugly stage, but it builds a foundation, helps you to place colors correctly, and with a little work, the beauty will be in the details.

So for today's challenge, work with some underpainting. Use watercolor, ink, or markers to block in the colors of your image, then add details using colored pencils.

We have three site tutorials that may be helpful as you put your project together:

Blended Pencils Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Pencil Shaded Watercolor Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Alcohol markers with pencils Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

That's all I know! Remember, for your project to truly qualify as mixed media, you need to use at least 2 different types of art media. You can click HERE for a list of supplies you could choose from.

Please remember to put in the correct keyword (MIX240) when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos. Then come back to this thread and paste a link to the card in your gallery so we can all ooh and ahhh! Go forth and create!
Attached Thumbnails
img_6612.jpg   img_6614.jpg  

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 09-01-2017 at 02:07 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!