Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pressure to buy matching dies...

Does anyone else feel pressure to buy the matching dies for everything? Most of the time I never even use them. But I have this mental battle every time I places orders... and I give in buy the dies for all the sets. But it's not because I will definitely use them.. it's because what if the moment strikes and I suddenly want to use one/them and I don't have it! It's just this crazy crafting pressure I feel! There are so many more stamp sets I could get if I stopped buying dies or bundles. Does anyone else do this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I rarely buy matching dies - I'm very happy with scissors or a scalpel and figure for the number of the times I'll cut something out the dies are by no means essential for the vast majority of things. I'll happily buy dies of things that are too intricate to cut out but I think all of those so far for me are not things that match stamps.

Everyone's different of course, if you were actually using the dies I'd say "good for you" but as you're not I would say buy yourself a decent pair of detail scissors and/or invest some time learning how to use a craft knife for detailed cuts (and have a good supply of blades so you can change just as soon as it starts to dull). Those skills will mean you can cut out the vast majority of stamped shapes and you can spend your pennies on more stamp sets or stand-alone dies.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few matching dies, and they are fun to use, but almost all of them I got as part of a larger kit. I can see why a person who has trouble fussy cutting would buy them, or someone with a larger budget than me. But when I see how much they add up to in my cart, it is easy to do without them. So that is how I avoid them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I often buy matching dies. Sometimes I don't use them, but I like that I have them if I need them. I'm not a great fussy cutter. Sometimes I use then as masks as in the Jennifer McGuire pumpkin video she did yesterday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I very rarely buy matching dies, because personally I'm not a big fan of the white halo they leave, I'd rather fussy-cut. Actually, the opposite holds true in my case - there have been a couple of instances where it was the dies I really wanted to use on their own, and only got the stamps because they were available as a bundle. Often when I use these stamps, I fussy-cut them anyway. Snowflakes excepted...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I think it depends, I like to cut things out by hand and I dislike the sticker look of the halo that most matching the stamps dies leave. so, those kind of matching dies I tend to skip. but, the ones I do like and use the most are when there is say a large sentiment that has several skinny sentences or starters with it and maybe they have come out with just the large word to POP as a die, those are the kind I tend to actually use and I do buy those.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love the addition of matching dies. I am terrible at fussy cutting and don't enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I don't feel pressured, certainly the matching dies are available and when bundled, you save a little bit. I like to fussy cut as well, so I don't usually buy those type. I do like the intricate ones though, no way to fussy cut all the teeny holes and spaces!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Good question Dies are expensive.

I don't feel pressured. If I can fussy it, I wont buy it. But I know myself well enough to know I can cut off heads, limbs, thin branches, etc. So sometimes I want them.

But it is the same rules I use for stamp sets. (aside from I rarely buy full price and bundle prices are still too high for me) If I am not using more than half of them in a set, I am not getting it. If I am not going to use most of the dies in the set, I am not getting it. (in sets, they don' always make dies for every stamp) If I need the dies to cut out the stamps but I am only going to use one...I am not getting that set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't feel pressured. If the images look difficult to cut out, I might buy the dies. That being said, I do feel pressured when I go to a particular scrapbook store to buy the stamps. If there is a matching die set, the owner bundles them together, and you can't buy the stamps without the dies. She does give a little discount, but she won't sell just the stamps. I think I've bought only one set from here, because I really wanted the stamps and dies. I don't like feelimg pressured.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I very rarely buy matching dies, because personally I'm not a big fan of the white halo they leave, I'd rather fussy-cut. .
Cook22, I was happy to read this, I thought I was pretty much alone in this. I'm not a fan of the white border either, so if I want an image cut out, then I'll fussy cut, much as I hate doing that too, lol. The only time I've bought matching dies was for the Bird Crazy stamps,& accessories and the mini Bird Crazy stamps, because I'd seen Tim use them, and they don't leave that halo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 05:32 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I pretty much never buy the dies. The only time I cave is if it's something really "fiddly" that I think I will be wanting to cut fairly regularly - like the Crazy Birds (Shaz and I think alike, obviously). Those legs are NOT going to get cut if I'm doing the fussy-cutting thing! The only other "dies that match" that I own are a set of snowflakes (like Sabrina, lol) from Sweet 'n Sassy stamps and the Daydream Medallions from Stampin' Up, which I got because I like the way they layered. Also like Sabrina, I will buy dies that I want to use as a stand-alone thing (although I only bought the accompanying stamps in one instance, and have since purged most of those).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I will add my name to the list of people who don't like the 'white halo' left when cutting with dies......and one of my justifications for getting my Cameo was so I didn't have to buy all those dies....and can you guess how many times I have used my Cameo to do this...:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 853 Likes on 510 Posts

I don't buy the dies. I learned on here to use a pencil to trace a light line around the area before cutting, so I can get an even border, and then erase the line after cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I enjoy fussy cutting so I almost never buy dies. The times I have bought them, it has been a shock at how much they add to the total! I also find that many die sets have teeny tiny ones that I don't want to fuss with. I find it easier to just cut something that small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Sometimes I want the dies and not the stamp set. Most of the time the stamps are easy enough to fussy cut and I can't justify spending another $25 or more for the dies and the same is with a punch. I, too, like a closer cut than what most dies or punches will produce.
My big pet peeve is buying a hamburger. Most fast food places only have cheeseburgers. I don't like the "fake" cheese they put on them. If you order extra cheese they charge you extra, but if you order with no cheese they will not deduct the price of the cheese. I always feel like I am being forced to take their cheese. I have found a few places that have plain hamburgers and I try to always patron those and let them know that I appreciate not having to get cheese.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
Sometimes I want the dies and not the stamp set. Most of the time the stamps are easy enough to fussy cut and I can't justify spending another $25 or more for the dies and the same is with a punch. I, too, like a closer cut than what most dies or punches will produce.
My big pet peeve is buying a hamburger. Most fast food places only have cheeseburgers. I don't like the "fake" cheese they put on them. If you order extra cheese they charge you extra, but if you order with no cheese they will not deduct the price of the cheese. I always feel like I am being forced to take their cheese. I have found a few places that have plain hamburgers and I try to always patron those and let them know that I appreciate not having to get cheese.
Yes!! I totally agree about the cheese!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #18  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I swing almost to the other end of the spectrum: if a set doesn't have matching dies I am far, far, far less likely to buy it. I always buy the matching dies (and I do use them) because I hate fussy cutting.

A certain company I like and have patronized for many years recently stopped producing any dies for their stamps. With almost all of their new sets I think, "well I would have used them if I could have had dies to cut them out" and pass over buying them. I have to be over-the-top in love with the set to buy it without a matching die. Saves me money in the end, with that company anyway, because I buy so much less.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first got my Bigshot, I bought a whole bunch of matching dies for my stamp sets. I was convinced that I needed matching dies for everything, and let's face it... having a new tool means I needed to use it for everything.

But, then I got into digital stamps and they don't come with dies. Since I don't have a digital cutter, I got used to fussy-cutting really fast. I actually enjoy it, it's a pretty relaxing process for me and I like choosing whether I want a white outline or not.

So, now I have a question checklist to help me decide whether I should get the die:
1) Is it a limited release?
Some stamp/dies are released as a part of promotions and you only get the one chance to grab them. Though I generally try to avoid it, sometimes I really want the stamp and I will grab the die to go along with it.
2) Is it a stamp I'll use to mass-produce cards?
I generally don't mass-produce cards, but I like having the option to do so for a special occasion or a very special gift (wedding, thank you, birthday and Christmas, for example). Having a coordinating die would make it easier, so I consider it for certain sets.
3) Do I already have a die that could work?
With this, I don't mean a die that will cut around the stamp, but a die that fits the general size of the stamp. Maybe I have a circle or a square die that could fit that critter - and that's good enough for those quick-n-easy cards.
4) Will I be modifying the stamps?
By this, I mean things like putting a hat or a bow on a critter, putting an item in their hand or layering different objects together. I find that this works better with a little masking or without a white outline - so a die is no longer a "must have".

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you all for the advice! I've decided it's time to for me to stop buying dies. I see all these amazing samples of Lawn Fawn scenes and think... oh I could do that! But then I never do. Same w/ MFT, PTI, SU, and all our faves. I stick with my own style of cards. I am going to fight the urge! Unless like a lot of you said... it's something I can't fussy cut or that I'll know I'll be mass producing. And worst case, I can order it later if I end up really needing it. I will keep all of you mind when placing my orders as strength to resist!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

This thread made me go buy some more matching dies today-an alphabet set. No way am I cutting those out. As a left hander who had to learn to use right handed scissors dies are important. I like the idea of tracing the halo line off the stamp though. Might be able to pull that off with a set or two. Sometimes I don't buy a stamp set just because I don't want to have to spring for the dies. I agree; good fussy cutting looks best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 05:13 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I took a one person vote and the results are that I'm weird. And/or are missing something. I rarely buy matching dies because the look generally isn't my style. Others have said the same thing, so that's not too odd.

An exception would be a few geometric dies with stamps that make patterns in the cut out piece.

But I also rarely fussy cut a stamped image. I'm not sure why I would. That's weird.

OT Speaking of alpha dies (not stamps), Concord & 9th has an amazing "double cut alphabet dies" set for about $25 ($28 on their site) - half the cost of what some other bold die sets cost. Plus it's a two-for: a blocky letter plus a thin outline of the letter. Adore.

Last edited by bjeans; 08-22-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I happen to like the "halo" for some images. It gives a sense of depth I think. Seems I am in the minority in this regard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I happen to like the "halo" for some images. It gives a sense of depth I think. Seems I am in the minority in this regard.
You may be in the majority. Maybe I haven't looked at enough examples.

I remember liking it in this Jennifer McGuire guest video with Laurie Willison using Press 'n' Seal, since it's a simple, crisp look with a lot of white space.

Guest Video: Laurie Willison Crafting with Press 'n Seal - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

@Beth:
I fussy-cut the images I stamp when I color them with Copics. I like to use a Copic paper that works brilliantly with the markers, but it's not the kind of paper I would use for a panel/layer. The paper is a thin 70lbs with a special smooth coating to make blending easier - but that also makes it unsuitable for a lot of techniques I use for backgrounds.

If I'm making a one-layer card or a watercolor-only card, I'd probably use just masking instead of fussy-cutting. So, I guess it depends on what kind of card I'm making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
@Beth:
I fussy-cut the images I stamp when I color them with Copics. I like to use a Copic paper that works brilliantly with the markers, but it's not the kind of paper I would use for a panel/layer. The paper is a thin 70lbs with a special smooth coating to make blending easier - but that also makes it unsuitable for a lot of techniques I use for backgrounds.

If I'm making a one-layer card or a watercolor-only card, I'd probably use just masking instead of fussy-cutting. So, I guess it depends on what kind of card I'm making.

Thank you for the example - it makes perfect sense. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Wplus9 had a sale yesterday and I bought the Whimsey Alpha stamp and die set. Press and seal helps when I cut windows of letters. I only have a couple of alpha sets because they are pretty time consuming and fairly easy to screw up.
Yes on the fussy cutting with lighter weight cardstock. That's a new tip for me just this year and it really makes it easier. I've yet to discover the best scissors for fussy cutting.

I like the halo too for a lot of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Wplus9 had a sale yesterday and I bought the Whimsey Alpha stamp and die set. Press and seal helps when I cut windows of letters. I only have a couple of alpha sets because they are pretty time consuming and fairly easy to screw up.
Yes on the fussy cutting with lighter weight cardstock. That's a new tip for me just this year and it really makes it easier. I've yet to discover the best scissors for fussy cutting.

I like the halo too for a lot of things.
Everyone has their favorites, and so much depends on differences in our hands. I have a minor, permanent hand injury and a bit of arthritis but could cut with these for hours due to the reverse action. Jennifer McGuire recommended them, and I'd tried many others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C90WLGU/
I like that they cut all the way to the tip, and the non-stick coating means I don't need to worry about them gumming up if I'm quick trimming something with adhesive.

Just be very careful with them. They're super sharp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Everyone has their favorites, and so much depends on differences in our hands. I have a minor, permanent hand injury and a bit of arthritis but could cut with these for hours due to the reverse action. Jennifer McGuire recommended them, and I'd tried many others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mine are made by Tonic but they look identical, and they are my definitely my favourite scissors for cutting, with a little assistance from a scalpel where necessary because I do cut the Crazy Birds, feet and all, by hand from time to time.

For me, a scene like in this card ~ MIX237 Amazing ~, or this one ~ Owl Box (Front) ~ simply wouldn't work if there were a white halo around the birds. And then like Elle, I quite often fussy-cut something stamped on thinner card to add to a more complex background rather than masking. Here ~ DTGD17kiagcA Underwater Marvels ~ I fussy-cut Witzy because no way could I mask her and not have had problems with bleeding while doing the cling-wrap background. And again, a white halo would have spoilt the look of it for me. But each to their own! Maybe it suits a CAS look better and that's not something I often try for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

if you have something ( like the inside of a circle or legs on something) that you cannot get scissors open on, Lydia had a post about this tool a long time ago, and I picked one of these up and I do use this for tight spots.

https://www.amazon.com/Crafty-TGC131...ds=gyro+cutter

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Some good options out there. Clearly I am not in the know in terms of fussy cutting tools. Thanks, I'll give those a try. The pointy tips seem to be a good feature. For my sets that already have dies I might try die cutting and then fussy cutting to get into the centers. Less bulk around the edges might make it easier to be more accurate and eliminate the halo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate fussy cutting with a passion, I've got the precision scissors, I've seen all the tips, but it just doesn't look right when I do it. So I ALWAYS get the dies, and will avoid buying stamps without dies now, I have enough older ones already.

I actually like the white halo most of the time. And that's for me, where fussy cutting just doesn't do as smooth a job as the dies do. Mine always looks jagged and not even. If I do fussy cut on the odd occasion (where I'm building a scene and don't want the white border) it takes me ages as I want it to look perfect, and it hardly ever does.

So yes, I buy less stamps cos with each set I buy I factor in the cost of the matching dies. But I'd rather enjoy my time stamping and being able to get the perfect cut out, than have lots of stamps but absolutely hate the time I use trying to get the perfect cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to always buy the matching dies because I can't fussy cut worth a darn. I'm a lefty who uses right handed scissors and because of this I can't see exactly where the paper will cut and it never comes out even. Since I bought my Scan-N-Cut my die purchases have significantly decreased and I leave all the fussy cutting to my machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1View Post
But I'd rather enjoy my time stamping...
^ this is the key - do what makes you happy

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I got a scan n cut machine and it cuts my stamped images very well so no more dies for me unless it is a design I'll use a lot or it also embosses like the Local King dies do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 05:48 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I use my silhouette I can cut out any stamped image no dies needed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

When I bought my first set of matching dies, it was for a set that could have easily been fussy-cut. So I thought to myself, "Fussy cutting is perfectly fine. Don't get caught up in the matching dies frenzy." But then I got smaller and more intricate stamps that have dies available and realized that sometimes it would be nice to have the matching dies.

I don't mind the "halo" in most situations, since my card front is usually white and my image is usually on white. But even when the background is a color, I don't object to the halo. If it's a big problem, then I fussy cut.

To answer the OP's question, though. Sometimes I think that retailers push the matching dies. Either by bundling with a really good price or only making videos that use the dies. They don't even seem to promote stamping the image directly on the card.

That said, I have several sets that have matching dies. And I will probably go back and purchase a few dies. I particularly like the ones where the dies could also be used alone, like the new balloon set from Concord & 9th. Ask me how I know on that one. ;)
Save
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:33 AM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

I don't mind the halo either, in fact when I fussy cut, I tend to cut around with a smidgen of a halo As I have been following this thread, I have discovered that I mostly fussy cut flowers and leaves. Most of the dies I have are for shapes, flourishes or intricate dies that I could never cut in my own, and want badly enough to buy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I'm another one who dislikes the white halo around a lot of the matching dies, so for that reason, I don't buy them. I wonder why the companies who make matching dies don't make them to fit the stamped images properly.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes