Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting SU! clear mounts to stick to the acrylic stampingblock

Well shoot! someone was asking that question and now I can't find the thread. personally, I have a strip or two of double sided adhesive on one side of all my blocks, but I saw this and thought it might be helpful (and now that I've found it, I'm way too stubborn to just walk away and not share it, just because I can't find the original post. lol!)

Stamp & Scrap with Frenchie: Tip For Clear Mount Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for posting this link! I was applying a light layer of Tombow liquid glue to the sticker side of my clear stamps. This tip you shared is going to save me a lot of time!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh good! A while ago, I got on the Aileen's TIOO wagon (similar to your Tombow project) but was frustrated with the residue it always left behind. Thank goodness I had only gotten as far as my background stamps before I ditched that project. I hope Frenchie's trick works well for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have finally abandoned trying to make the stickered stamps cling to the block. I don't use the stickers anymore, I leave them on the sheet. I slip the sheet inside the back inside of the case and mount the stamps in the case in the same order as the sticker sheet shows. Does that make sense?? They are pretty easy to tell apart from one another and if they are in the same order as the sheet shows, it's not hard to tell what is what.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I just use a little bit of monoadhesive. It's not permanent, but I wouldn't think the burtsbees is permanent either. Is there a drawback to using mono?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I have finally abandoned trying to make the stickered stamps cling to the block. I don't use the stickers anymore, I leave them on the sheet. I slip the sheet inside the back inside of the case and mount the stamps in the case in the same order as the sticker sheet shows. Does that make sense?? They are pretty easy to tell apart from one another and if they are in the same order as the sheet shows, it's not hard to tell what is what.
I do this too, but go one step further and draw an ink line across the foam that shows it level so I know I'm straight. Especially the new Floral Statements stamps because the words are not straight in that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I do this too, but go one step further and draw an ink line across the foam that shows it level so I know I'm straight. Especially the new Floral Statements stamps because the words are not straight in that.
What a good idea! That's the one drawback to not having the sticker ... you only have the general outline of the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

well look what popped up in my 'YouTube thinks you might like this' section of YouTube ... lol!

(I still like my strip or two of double sided tape just left on the one side of the block ... when it gets too nasty, it's easy enough to rub off and start fresh. But the best part of this mad hobby of ours is that there are many, many creative people and part of the journey is finding the tips and tricks that fit for you, right?)

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 08-14-2017 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: 'look' not 'looked'... no idea how that happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Makes one wonder why SU hasn't fixed the sticker flaw.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 04:11 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
for me, it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons of whatever it is I'd like to add to my collection. I'm not aware of anything that's entirely perfect.

I'm going to guess for SU!, it's a matter of finding the best sweet spot between new-and-interesting product, quality, and price point. I don't work for SU! and there are plenty of items they have that don't match my needs for the above, but I'd imagine when they look at the majority of what sells, they're looking at the big picture and the aforementioned sweet spot. Who knows, maybe that 'better sticker' pushes it beyond the desired price point, and the price point is already on the higher end. OR, they may be working on a solution, and hopefully it won't be similar to the ink pad remake of a few years ago. If throwing down a little extra sticky is what it takes, doesn't seem like a biggy to me. YMMV.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 08-15-2017 at 04:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I totally agree. Stamps stick just fine without sticker and that's how I use them. I've never had one fall off the block. Just need to make sure image straight.Speaking of straight.......I need a thing-a-ma jig for wood mounted. It is the answer for restsmping an image with wood block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post

If people are willing to pay high dollar for something that doesn't work "out of the gate", why improve the quality? ;):rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It really confuses me why SU sells their main products - the stamps - with a part of the set that doesn't work - the stickers. I too am guilty because 1. I buy them anyway and 2. I just do a workaround and stamp without the stickers. But it's odd - for a company that's superior in product, that their main product doesn't fully work as intended or advertised, is just a surprise. I'm going to call SU right now and find out if they are working on this. I'll get back to everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Good advice! Works every time! And this saves a bunch of time when you get a new stamp set - nothing to prep, just poke the stamp out of the sheet of stamps, pop it onto an acrylic block and use it. The stamp will cling securely to the block if the sticker isn't on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry for my delayed post... I called SU twice but the wait times were too long. So I decided to email them that day and they got back to me just a bit ago. Here was their reply... which says they are currently working on fixing it asap. Yay!

Hello Catherine,

Great question! We know that this is a problem that needs to be addressed and we are doing all we can to rectify this as quickly as possible. I'm not sure what that status is, but it is something that we are looking into as we speak.

If we can help you with anything else, please let us know.

Warmest regards,

Meagan
Stampin' Up! �
Inspire. Create. Share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Sorry for my delayed post... I called SU twice but the wait times were too long. So I decided to email them that day and they got back to me just a bit ago. Here was their reply... which says they are currently working on fixing it asap. Yay!

Hello Catherine,

Great question! We know that this is a problem that needs to be addressed and we are doing all we can to rectify this as quickly as possible. I'm not sure what that status is, but it is something that we are looking into as we speak.

If we can help you with anything else, please let us know.

Warmest regards,

Meagan
Stampin' Up! �
Inspire. Create. Share.
Ummmmm.....they know there is a problem and they are working on it?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:This has been a problem since they first introduced cling mount stamps many years ago. Perhaps I'm being unkind in my assessment, but why has it taken so long to address this issue? This is s totally unacceptable response in my opinion. That being said, I do thank you for sticking with it and getting a response, even if the response is lame beyond belief. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with every word you said, Susy. Like I said, they know their stamps don't perform as expected but as long as everyone keeps buying them, there is no need to work on fixing anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Ummmmm.....they know there is a problem and they are working on it?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:This has been a problem since they first introduced cling mount stamps many years ago. Perhaps I'm being unkind in my assessment, but why has it taken so long to address this issue? This is s totally unacceptable response in my opinion. That being said, I do thank you for sticking with it and getting a response, even if the response is lame beyond belief. :shock:
Well said! I completely agree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I take the time to trim around the stickers. I know, time consuming but I like having the image and it totally increases the exposure of the cling foam. I also use a swipe of tombow temporary adhesive on my larger stamps. Works great and it helps the stamps stay snug in the rubber weeding that I mount on the inside of the case for storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I would love if they would do them the way T Holtz does them - with the image printed right on to the cling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I would love if they would do them the way T Holtz does them - with the image printed right on to the cling.
me, too! I've wondered if there isn't a patent on it, tho. It sure would simplify everything, wouldn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
Yes, yes, yes - a thousand times yes! Love cling stamps that are made that way. 8-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Maybe I was being a little naive :( I think the words they used in their response to me... "we are working on this right now as we speak" is what gave me instant hope. But you are right, it's been years now that they have known about this problem with their product. I might have jumped the gun with optimism!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 455 Likes on 202 Posts

I agree with Susy...I've been buying SU product since 2009 and non-sticking cling has ALWAYS been a problem. I know several people who don't put the sticker on and then they stick just fine, but I NEED the sticker to know where I'm stamping...don't like them without stickers, AND we should be able to use them with stickers! SU NEEDS to fix the problem. I'm with the person who talked about the image embedded in the rubber like TH...great, great!

I tried the Aileen Tacky glue method that was being touted several years ago and decided that was just too much work for every stamp, plus they were way too sticky for my liking and it takes overnight to dry. Then I went to double stick Poster tape on the stamp that was being suggested...that was better than glue, but expensive...$7.xx per roll from JoAnns. Then, I went to cheap double stick tape (from $Tree) on my stamps but it didn't always stay adhered. Then, a happy accident...a piece of the tape from the stamp stuck on the block, and voila a happy accident was the best solution so far and I didn't have to stick tape on every stamp!

Now, I have a MISTI, so I use cheap double stick tape on the stamp itself...just a bit and that works. And, I replace another bit when I need to. I have actual never tried the two-way glue...probably works just fine and would dry faster. Now, I've heard of using chat stick...so I think I'll try that on the stamp with my MISTI just to see if it works as good as the video by Frances Martin.
Carlene aka Chatterbox-1--My BLOG; My Pinterest; My SCS Gallery; FAVORITES Team Member; 2022 Christmas Card Challenge 75/105. My SCS Goal: Challenge Catch-up; Sketch Challenge Sample Card Team (August 2022--January 2023).

Last edited by Chatterbox-1; 08-28-2017 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes