Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Bible Art Journaling 2017

Hi Everyone!! So thrilled that you found our Bible Art Journaling Challenge forum for 2017!

Instead of having a separate thread for each month, this year we will have just this one forum to post, chat and share our Bible Art Journaling (BAJ) :-)

If you are new to BAJ, please remember that there is no right or wrong way to journal in your Bible. Not everyone feels comfortable journaling in their Bible and prefer to use an art journal or notebook, or even a scrapbook.other book. Just please remember, BAJ is not about how great your artwork looks but it is a creative worship time between you and the Lord.

So let's grab our art supplies (gelatos, colored pencils, acrylic paints, markers, plain pencils, watercolors, inks, crayons- whatever your heart desires) and worship the Lord with our creativity!!

Just a reminder, if you are unable to actually journal at this time, we would love for you to join in and "chat" so we can encourage each other, share ideas as well as see your art in the gallery when you are able to create.

Also, please do not forget:

We have our own gallery to load our journal pages-
Once you enter the "Upload A Card" click on the arrows next to the windows under "Select Galleries"- in the first window select "Anything BUT a Card", in the second window choose "Books, Handmade Albums and Journals" , in the third window choose "Art Journal Pages" and then a 4th window should appear and choose "Bible Art Journal Pages" .

Also, please use these keywords when you post to the gallery- BAJ17, Bible Art Journaling (remember to separate each with a comma) and if you have time, link your gallery upload in this forum so we can be inspired by your work and encourage you with some "love" ...

I am looking forward to spending time in God's Word creatively this year and hope you will join me! Hugs and I hope you have a blessed 2017!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #2  

Last year it seemed as though everyone wanted a monthly theme with an optional technique/medium challenge so I thought we could continue that this year.

Even the monthly theme is optional since you may want to journal a different theme- so we are very "relaxed" in our requirements for this challenge- lol!

January 2017 Monthly Theme- "Peace" with an option of watercolor.

Thanks again and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Thanks for continuing this, Julie! I know you are busy, but appreciate it. I will try to do something! I have my journaling Bible; just have to get up my nerve do something in it! It is crazy, because I am afraid I will ruin it!! LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #4  

You know Sharon, I am the same way! I have several journaling Bibles now and have colored a bit in the Inspire Bible but have not done any original work yet.

My issue at this time, is that I am a bit over committed with a weekly Ladies Bible Study that is fairly in-depth and am on 7 different Design Teams...they are keeping me very busy!! I really want to start this year with BAJ so maybe we can keep each other motivated :-)

Hugs and remember, this is a no stress challenge and I am sure that the Lord will be pleased with our Creative Worship no matter what it looks like :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the encouragement in this forum Thanks for the reminder, Julie that it is a no stress challenge but a creative worship to spend time with the Lord and His word.

This is my first Bible journaling to kick off 2017, it is not base on the January theme, I hope it is okay, Julie.

Psalms 57:1-3 Find Refuge Under His Wings by byHelenG - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #6  

Oh Helen, this is fabulous! Yes, please share- it does not have to be the theme. We are here to encourage one another as we worship the Lord with our art! Thanks for sharing your wonderful page- hugs and have a blessed week, sweet "sis"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks a lot Julie!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie GearingerView Post
Oh Helen, this is fabulous! Yes, please share- it does not have to be the theme. We are here to encourage one another as we worship the Lord with our art! Thanks for sharing your wonderful page- hugs and have a blessed week, sweet "sis"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 329 Likes on 185 Posts

Oh, I am so excited to find this thread. I have been wondering why we didn't have a Bible Journaling challenge! Yay!!! I love Bible Journaling and facilitate a group at our church. I will play soon!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I am happy to find this as well. I have lots of my Bible journaling in my gallery as I started this last year. This Christmas I was given a journaling devotional book, so I am going to try to do some things in there as well.

I think it will make a great heirloom some day for my sons or grandchildren. A part of me I can leave behind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

So glad to have more join us! Waving, Nancy and Liz!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks Sharon. I did three Peace BAJ pages today after finding out about this challenge! Here is one of them:

BAJ17 - Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled by nwilliams6 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Seriously, I am so glad to find out about this today! Peace is a really special topic to me.

Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

So excited to have found this thread, will participate and being new to BAJ I appreciate this challenge to get it happening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Yay! Hi Joyce! I have took part in this in 2016, but haven't actually done any BJA yet.
So guess I am new to it too. I did finally get an art journaling Bible, to do something in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Julie, this is a wonderful idea. I'm so glad I found this too. I don't have a Journaling Bible, but... I do have a journal. I am beginning a book by American author, Shelly Miller, who has recently moved to England with her husband and family (she was living here in South Carolina). The name of the book is called, Rhythms of Rest, Finding the Spirit of Sabbath in a Busy World. A book for anyone who is weary. Sabbath is a gift from God to be embraced, not a spiritual hoop to jump through. ~ Shelly Miller.

I don't know about you, but, I'm weary. I have been for a long, long time. I have so much on my plate. I had the pleasure of meeting Shelly Miller this fall at our church and I was so touched by her peaceful nature. Her story was almost identical to mine growing up. I could feel the tears well and my throat tighten as I listened to her speak of Rhythms of Rest.

Years ago, a very dear friend of mine passed away. Her life and death touched my life more than I ever could have ever imagined. Before she passed away she said to a mutual friend, I'm just going to rest in the Lord.

Friends, maybe this is the year that I can actually find Sabbath rest with the Lord and still manage to find time for the art that I so love.

Blessings,
Susie ~

If you're interested in finding out more you can find Shelly Miller here:

ShellyMillerWriter.com;
Instagram and Twitter: @shellymillerwriter;
Facebook: Shelly Miller, Writer
#Sabbath-Society and #RhythmsOfRest
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #15  

Susie, so thrilled that you found us! Yes, Sabbath rest sounds perfect for my life right now- I will be checking out her book for sure!! Sorry to hear about your friend but it is so comforting to know that she is resting in the Lord now...

Thanks for the information and hopefully we can find both find some peace and rest this year- hugs sweet friend!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

My second Bible journaling this month...

Jesus Is My Treasure - Bible Art Journaling by byHelenG - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Thank tou Julie continuing on in 2017 ! It's always a blessing to find places to fellowship and craft in the same place has the combination of both is heartwarming ❤️ I love the theme for January - subscribing so I don't lose the thread again blessings all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #19  
My Pinkie is Inkie in Boxertown

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I am happy to see this thread. It has been a while since I have journaled in my Bible. I do want to get back to it. Life just gets in the way sometimes. I know you all can relate to that. I love doing the Bible journaling. It is a new year and I will make a new start working on my Bible pages.

Thanks, Julie, for starting the new thread.

My Pinkie is Inkie Blog

I design for Blue Knight Rubber Stamps.
F4A Hostess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #20  

Wow, not sure what happened to my notifications on this thread but I must have missed a few! Welcome Liz, Nancy, Joyce Ann, Karen and Shirley! I saw Susie's post but somehow the others slipped by!

So thrilled that all of you found us and we are looking forward to encouraging one another this year- hugs and I hope you have a blessed week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Sharon, thank you for sending me this thread. I hope to get some journaling done very soon. Hugs!
Kookzi the Rookzie Punchkateer
It is by the grace of God that we take our next breath.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #22  

Welcome Lesley and thanks Sharon!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have been working on a trial page. One of the intro pages) Looked at Youtube for applying gesso on BAJ page, and did it like they said. Very disappointed on how it worked. It does show on other side, and the side I did looks like a mess after I put on the water color. After it dries, I will stamp my verse and see how it looks.

I may not be cut out for the BAJ .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2017, 02:46 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sharon, you are definitely cut out for BAJ! I never use Gesso (don't tell anyone because people always look at me funny when I say that - I am far to lazy to spend that kind of time on a page). I try to use mediums I know won't be bleeding through too much - like distress inks applied with a sponge, several cheap watercolor pallets from Michaels, and water color pencils used without too much water). If I do decide to go heavy on the medium or color, I cut a strip of another paper the size of my space in my Bible and do my technique on it and then attach it to my Bible page. Alternately, I do it on a paper the size of my Bible and attach it as a completely new page in my Bible using score tape on the left side and carefully slipping it in the binding). If I do get completely lazy and do a page where it bleeds through, I turn to the next page and incorporate the bleed through in my design of that page - kind of a grunge look. Way more than you probably wanted to know but I want you to continue!!!

Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you Nancy! I will finish the page I am doing, then try it your way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #26  

I agree with Nancy, Sharon! Do not give up! There are many types of gesso and in the beginning most people were prepping their pages with clear gesso but now it seems as though the majority are doing what Nancy suggested.

I plan on trying both but did create a tip in type bookmark recently that I can share later this week.

I am sure that your page will look great when you are finished- hugs, sweet friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Here is my poor effort. At least it is on the monthly theme and watercolor!
I found a lot of stickers that I could use in the future.

The ink did go through to other side. What ink do you girls use?

The watercolor pencil did not go through. But you can see my dove and verse on the back.

BAJ17, Is. 26:3 sm by smadson - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 02:09 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sharon, I stamp my images with a light ink like SU! Sahara Sand or TH Distress Tea Stain and then go over it with a Micron pen. It seems to be a bit of extra work but it always works for me.

Here is my latest finished page. I had already sketched it out a few months ago, but I colored it and doodled on it and finished it up a few days ago.

When a Woman Listens to God... by nwilliams6 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 02:12 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sharon, I think your page came out well. I love your side notes on the verse and concept of peace. Great page!! Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2017, 05:44 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The month is almost over! Can't wait to see the new suggested theme! I did another page this morning using the Featured Stamper Challenge as inspiration:

SnowmanQueen Inspired BAJ by nwilliams6 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Feeling peaceful! Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Don't want anyone to miss this beauty:

Show Me Your Glory by mamaxsix - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Love how Mamasix used Dina's new technique on this page!

Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Had to do one more Peace page!!!

Psalms 72 Snow and Rain by nwilliams6 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Julie, have you decided on a Theme for Feb yet?

Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #33  

Nancy, love all of your Peace journal pages!! I created a tip-in regarding finding refuge in God and that definitely brings me peace :-)

The theme for February will be Love. I know that we did this theme last year but with Valentine's Day approaching, it seems appropriate :-)
There are so many ways that we could journal the theme of "Love" and I am looking forward to seeing your creative worship!

Hugs and have a blessed week, sweet "Sisters" in Christ!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #34  

Here is my "tip-in" for January :-) I have free step by step instructions on my blog (link is in the gallery post).

Very easy to do, just add a bit of depth on your tip in for scoring and attaching to the page with washi tape (Sharon, this could be how you could cover up the bleed thru on the back of your pages :-))

BAJ17_Ps 91:4 Find Refuge by Julie Gearinger - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a lap crafted hymnal page while at my daughter's swim meet. I was still on last month's theme of peace. The story of the page is in the details on my post. Even So
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

I used Micah 6:8 for this "love" challenge.
What is Required of Me? by AnniePanda - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did some stenciling and added Starbucks sleeve goodies to make another Love themed page.Share the Love
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Running behind this month - here is my first heart page:

IC584 Written on our Heart by nwilliams6 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Warning - don't look if you have an aversion to pink! Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

On a roll today - the Inspiration and Mix challenges are great ways to feel inspired to BAJ! Here is another one:

Inspired Heart Rose by nwilliams6 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hugz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

One of the newest members to SCS (just joined in the last few days) uploaded a fun BAJ page that you might all want to check out:

Treasures from the heart by withintheabyss - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes