Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #1  
ck1
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many ink pads???

Hi all,

I'm still trying to downsize, done with CS, working on my stamp collection now, Thanks Sue, @gregzgurl.

My next question is; How many ink pads does one really need? I have ink pads that I haven't even opened in years.

If say, you could only have 12 ink pads, what color would you choose?

Really need to get rid of a lot of ink pads.

Looking forward to all the responses.

CK
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Black, versamark or similar, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, lime green, turquoise, blue, purple and blue (I really like blue

I downsized my ink pad collection last year. I stamped every single color on some scrap cardstock, similar colors together and got rid of any colors that I did not like, did not have any cardstock to match (really old stampin up ink pads) or duplicate colors; some of the ink pads are made by the same company so the colors are exact matches.

I still have a lot, but I invested in a wall organizer that I love and they are in rainbow order so I can easily find the color I want and I use them much more. I could still get rid of some, but that was a really good start for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #3  
ck1
Inking Addict

Thank you @staceylovespaper, I have so many ink pads that I really need to get rid of a lot. Waiting for more responses to try and figure out what to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I downsized to ink "spots", rather than getting rid of colors. I still have a few full-sized pads (no refill for those colors). More colors in a smaller footprint = happy stamper... ;)

Last edited by gregzgurl; 07-27-2017 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 04:13 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I don't think I'm alone, and know I've way too many!!! I'm not adding any additional brands or colors, and I'm sticking to my decision, with the exception of any new Oxide colors of course!;)
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it tell you anything when I just picked up another 100 slot cassette holder for just my SU ink pads. I must keep all the colors you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 AM   #7  
ck1
Inking Addict

@Annecards, @mycatbillybob, That's my problem, I want to keep all my ink pads, but I am seriously downsizing and need just the minimum number of things. I am one of these people that wants it all even if I don't use it. Need more ideas on which ink pads I SHOULD keep, not wish to keep LOL;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the big question is what you plan to use your inkpads for. It's a little different if you want to keep them strictly for stamping vs also wanting to use them for techniques (like sponging, coloring or layered stamps).

You could start by pulling out one pad of each color (one yellow, one pink, one green, etc) and make that your core set. Then take a look at your stamps to see what kind of stamps you own the most of. If you have a lot of flower stamps, for example, you might want to add more than one green. Or if you really like to color with different media, you might want to add a few extra black options (so you're covered for alcohol markers, watercolor and colored pencils).

From there, I think it depends on other factors - like whether the inkpads need to fit into a certain space or whether you've found your personal style. If you make modern and bright CAS cards, you might not need any of the muted colors, for example. But if your style is vintage, you won't need the super bright neon colors.

You also have the option of buying/keeping the re-inkers to use with something like this: ColorBox Un-Inked Petal Point Inkpad 8 Colors- | Jo-Ann
There are several companies that have un-inked pads and mini cubes that would fit a smaller space, while at the same time giving you the feeling that you have a complete palette. You can keep them un-inked until you need a color that's not in your core set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I'm thinking of going with the stampin spots. I forgot to order the Berry Burst ink pad but got the reinker. I inked up a spot and it worked wonderfully with my Misty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I'm thinking of going with the stampin spots. I forgot to order the Berry Burst ink pad but got the reinker. I inked up a spot and it worked wonderfully with my Misty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry dbl post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a clear regular size versa mark ink pad, an MFT hybrid black ink pad (for copic coloring), a black versa fine regular size ink pad (for watercolor and general stamping). I have a full set of Color Theory ink pads that I have used for several years now. I like the color choices - they're a little different than some of the other companies. That's definitely a personal preference and is gonna vary based on what you like! Something to think about: Do you like your ink to match your paper? If you do, go with a line that sells ink an paper. For example, Lawn Fawn and My Favorite Things are two companies that offer that and are very reputable, reliable companies. Good products. Another consideration: If you like to emboss, think about investing in different embossing powders instead of different ink pad colors.
Hope this helps!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2017, 06:54 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Elle - it's about what you use and what you use it for. I used to have a lot of colored dye ink pads, but I didn't use a lot of them. There are colors I reach for over and over again, and I know what they are.

Once Tim Holtz invented Distress Ink, I jumped both feet into that, and have never looked back. But I use them mostly for BG techniques, and that's worth it to me, since making BGs is one of my favorite things and a big feature on most of my cards. Yes, I bought the Oxides as well.

When I started working with paints, I found I wanted something that would reliably stamp over those, so I branched out into Archival Inks.

Versafine is an ink that is so completely without peer in terms of coverage and detail that I must have those. I couldn't live without the black, but I use all the (far too few) colors as well.

Really, if I had to pare down drastically, I'd probably end up with Versafine Onxy, Archival Black and my fav colors of Archivals, and my Distress Inks. I find I do a lot less colored stamped and a lot more outline and color-in stamping (watercolors are my happy place). That makes a big diff to what you need. Do you use lots of colored stamping in your work? Love layering stamps? Then you need colors. If you really do more outline stamping and coloring in, you need fewer.

Whatever you decide, always start by picking out the pads you love. What you love it what you will use, and it will never waste space in your stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ink Pads are my weakness... ok well I have many stamping weaknesses I did just recently downsize and sold off all my CTMH ink pads, my Colorbox pads, my VersaColor Ink pads, and the paisley shaped Papertrey Ink pads. Those are just awkward sized so I'm replenishing that line with the oval shaped pads. I may sell off my line of A Muse studio pigment ink pads too, I don't use pigment inks too often and they smear at times for me. I'm also thinking of selling my Distress ink pads because i have never once used them. I don't have a ton of those, I just keep them in storage in case i ever get the urge to try them out. I know the world loves them, I just never got into them for some reason. I just love how ink pads look all lined up, seeing all the colors just inspires me. I make a swatch and put in the one side of the ink pad along with the name to make it easy to grab the one I needed. It's like a rainbow of colors in front of my very eyes i still have a handful to open and label though. I couldn't get down to 10 I think... if I did I would end up shades of teal / aquas! My for sure keepers are: All the SU colors and cannot imagine parting with those ever, all the Lawn Fawn colors, all the Simon Says Stamp colors, and a handful of dew drops for chalk and brilliance colors. I don't have a ton of those dew drops though. Plus the basics... versa mark, versa fine black, white, and so on. So I definitely downsized, and may be downsizing even more, and ultimately just have the SU, Lawn Fawn, and Simon Says Stamps line. Here are a few pics of how I store/keep my ink pads... don't mind my little kitty Bella in the window She loves to hang with me when I'm crafting!
Attached Thumbnails
How many ink pads???-img_0572.jpg   How many ink pads???-img_0573.jpg   How many ink pads???-img_0574.jpg   How many ink pads???-img_0575.jpg   How many ink pads???-img_0576.jpg  

How many ink pads???-img_0577.jpg   How many ink pads???-img_0578.jpg  

Last edited by Catherine773; 07-30-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I agree with Elle - it's about what you use and what you use it for. I used to have a lot of colored dye ink pads, but I didn't use a lot of them. There are colors I reach for over and over again, and I know what they are.

Once Tim Holtz invented Distress Ink, I jumped both feet into that, and have never looked back. But I use them mostly for BG techniques, and that's worth it to me, since making BGs is one of my favorite things and a big feature on most of my cards. Yes, I bought the Oxides as well.

When I started working with paints, I found I wanted something that would reliably stamp over those, so I branched out into Archival Inks.

Versafine is an ink that is so completely without peer in terms of coverage and detail that I must have those. I couldn't live without the black, but I use all the (far too few) colors as well.

Really, if I had to pare down drastically, I'd probably end up with Versafine Onxy, Archival Black and my fav colors of Archivals, and my Distress Inks. I find I do a lot less colored stamped and a lot more outline and color-in stamping (watercolors are my happy place). That makes a big diff to what you need. Do you use lots of colored stamping in your work? Love layering stamps? Then you need colors. If you really do more outline stamping and coloring in, you need fewer.

Whatever you decide, always start by picking out the pads you love. What you love it what you will use, and it will never waste space in your stash.
I think that you've landed on the best advice so far, Robin! I don't use colored inks on a regular basis, so I may re-think even the spots. I could always do the baby wipe trick with reinkers if I needed colored ink for stamping (right now I pretty much use them for watercolor techniques)...

Based on that concept, my new-and-improved list would be:
  • Versafine ink in Onyx Black and Vintage Sepia
  • Memento ink in Tuxedo Black, Rich Cocoa and London Fog
  • Ranger Archival Black
  • A white pigment ink (I have CTMH, but some prefer others)
  • Versamark for embossing
  • A handful of Distress Inks in the most-used/most-loved colors
  • The retired colors that I have held onto through numerous purges because I love them so much (CTMH), of which there are four or five...
Other than that, I would probably just keep the refills for all of the other colors...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 07-31-2017 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have a good suggestion as I have all the SU inks in the colors of cardstock I own. I have never bought entire color families-just colors I absolutely love. I actually use all of them as I'm one to use colored ink almost all the time. I even use really old SU ink in a color I never owned cardstock to match like Sunner Sun.

Good luck in your downsize. I could never downsize my ink.

But I agree, if I wasn't using them I'd consider it!!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 08-05-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck on your heavy decisions. I downsized a couple of years and went the same exercise as others. If I had duplicate colors then it was a matter of how I use the ink. I still have close 300 stamp pads that includes about 100 cubes. As the inks dry out and I don't have a refill I'm tossing and not replacing. I did donate the colors I really didn't like so long as they weren't a "blendable" color.

I use a lot of colored inks but I don't stamp with them very much. I make backgrounds, scenes with blended skies, water, etc. and mixed media.

I don't think I pick just a few it would be too limiting for me. Like having oatmeal everyday - I need my fruit loops
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I have the majority of S.U. inkpads, about 15 Distress, and handful of other brands. I still have all the original S.U. spots and reinkers. If I were going to keep only 12, I would keep: Versafine/Memento Black, Versamark clear, and the rest S.U.: Cherry Cobbler, Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, Real Red, Garden Green, Chocolate Chip/Early Espresso, Night of Navy, and a few others I can't think of.
Reply With Quote Likes