Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2017, 05:05 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dire Warning... Be very careful with you stamps!!

I make a huge mess while making cards (even if the card is designed and all components chosen). While cleaning up after a card making frenzy I discovered that the Llama stamp from Birthday Fiesta was gone. I looked Every where!!
Last year I "lost" the lion from Zoo Babies and it was gone for over a month before I found it stuck to the bottom of a stamp pad. I figured that where Mr
Llama was... stuck to something and would turn up. I never get rid of my trash
When something is missing until I find it. ( it's only paper for the recycle so it's fine to hold on to ). I had gone through the trash once, but it was trash day and
My basket was full... this time I looked in every waded up paper towel... guess who was hiding in a balled up paper towel!! I wash my photopolymer with soap and water and must have let him in the paper towel to dry and then balled it up and tossed it. Thought I was more careful than that!
So once again I lucked out!! I do vow to start cleaning and putting away stamps as I use them and being more careful with my stamps of all kinds.. Dies too!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Yikes! Glad you dodged that bullet... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 05:14 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

I too have misplaced stamps due to my messy "creative process"...but I have gotten into the habit of putting away my stamps after use because of this...glad you found your stamp before he ended up in the landfill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I laughed when I read that you hang on to your trash because I tend to do the same thing. DH emptied my card trash once to be helpful and he got an earful. Sometimes I need to retrieve a scrap that I had tossed earlier. I am currently missing a darling, stamped, watercolored and fussy cut dog. Hopefully I'll be lucky to find it in my trash like you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to me but with dies. I used my little star die and i lost it. I cleaned my desk good, sweep my floor and i still could not find it. (My trash bin was relatively empty as i just emptied it a couple days before) i finally got on my hands and knees and found it under my desk a little bit. I found my die and now i have a cleaner craft area. I am relived to have found it and now ready to to dirty it up again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Having to hunt for those tiny dies that seem to just walk away all the time was maddening. I finally got myself a big metal magnetized bowl which is next to my Big Shot and I toss my dies in if I'm not able to put them away right away. They don't seem to walk away anymore.

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 847 Likes on 280 Posts

Something I do to help reduce the odds of accidentally throwing away my photopolymer stamps is to keep a plastic basket on my workbench to toss my stamps in if I'm in a hurry or if I'm using stamps from multiple sets. It's easier for me to just clean everything and put it away after I'm done with a project.
As far as my dies go, I just bought some heavy duty magnet sheet off of Amazon to hold all my thinlits/framelits. They will be attached to my wall above my workbench. I plan on marking off a small area to put my dies that I'm using on a current project. Once my project is done I'll sort them back with their proper sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I keep and old clear block on my desk and put all my used stamps there. It's labeled "to be cleaned". It keeps them in one place until I am ready to put them away.

I want to get a Spellbinders "Main Attraction" for my dies, but for now I put a magnet sheet in a small frame and put my dies I've used there for safekeeping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

some great ideas...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Like Erin, I toss dies in a magnetic bowl by my die cutting machine. Mine is small, similar to this one for $5.00: https://smile.amazon.com/Capri-Tools...=Magnetic+bowl

I learned my lesson about stamps after almost losing one in a trash can with Chinese food containers and other glop. The stamp was clinging to the very top but I didn't notice until going through almost everything.

Now I quickly clean my stamps while still on the block/platform and place them on top of the plastic sheet that protects the set. I don't put them under the sheet and in the pocket since that's too much of an interruption, plus they may be wet from cleaning but stamps from different sets are on top of their own set and stuck well until the end of the session.

If I didn't clean them I'd still stick them there so they'd be safe on top of their set and ready to clean/put away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts
Thumbs up

Arrrggghhhhh .... I so understand your angst.

Thanks for the reminders/tips, Ladies. I have long-intended to get a couple of the magnet bowls ... just haven't remembered to "do it".

And yes ... have lost a couple of small photopolymer stamps in the recent years. Those little ones are patience-testers for sure ... especially if you're using them in class projects. I'll implement the baggie side for those pronto ... the acrylic block will be a helpful "tool" asap when I'm stamping by myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

This morning I discovered another missing stamp when I went to use it.
This one has probably been missing for months!!! It is the stamp that says
"You're How old?!?" In a word bubble. It's a Stampin Up retired set that coordinates
with a die set. At least I was able to type it up on the computer and die cut it.
Still makes me crazy that I am so careless!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Ugh...I'm agonizing over a "maybe lost" leaf die. I got a set of dies from China that is an exact match (i.e. Thievery) of SU Swirly Squiggles. I put the dies on a magnet card, did positive feedback on EBay and afterward discovered that one little leaf die was not there. :confused:

I dug through 2 different garbage cans before finding the original vinyl envelope from China. After shaking off the coffee grounds, I verified that the die was not in the package, nor was it in the sealed bag the set was packed in. So now the question is: did I lose the leaf die when I transferred the dies from the package to the magnet, or was it omitted when it was packaged in China? :(

The reality is that I will never miss this stupid leaf die, but I have so much time and emotional energy invested at this point that i will be on the lookout for this leaf die for the next few weeks, in the hopes that it magically appears on my work table, cleverly hiding beneath a scrap of paper. This is nuts, and I know it but I can't help myself! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I recently, within the span of 3-4 days, have found two different small dies on the carpet in front of my Big Shot station - I can't even figure out what die sets they belong to! I'm ordering one of those magnetic bowls today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Harbor Freight sells magnetic bowls for less than $5 and I once saw a free coupon for one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 05:06 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
I recently, within the span of 3-4 days, have found two different small dies on the carpet in front of my Big Shot station - I can't even figure out what die sets they belong to! I'm ordering one of those magnetic bowls today!
I found my magnetic bowl at Home Depot in the tool section, for $5.00...no postage that way ;)

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparcl77View Post
Harbor Freight sells magnetic bowls for less than $5 and I once saw a free coupon for one.
American Science and Surplus has them for about that price: https://www.sciplus.com/p/6-MAGNETIC...TEEL-DISH_1588 Beats the $15 Spellbinders wants for its Main Attractions!

American Science and Surplus sells a lot of magnets, as well; some might be good additions to a Misti. They also sell 2' x 2' magnetic sheets, with or without an adhesive backing, quite inexpensive. (Fun craft supplies there, too, sometimes!)

Last edited by LemurLover; 07-12-2017 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Harbor Freight or any local hardware store will have the magnetic bowls..less expensive for sure. My husband made me aware of them at my local Harbor Freight store. I love going through any hardware store to find things I can use in my craft room.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Amazon Prime - $5.00 - no shipping charges - and you save gas...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a magnetic round container with a lid for $1.00 at Dollar Tree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I have a different kind of a story about a lost die. I was clipping apart one of the die sets from a Hero Arts kit and the little flower pot went flying! My husband and I looked everywhere and could not find it. I emailed HA my dilemma and my new "cyberfriend" told me she would see what she could do for me, but that it would take a while. About two weeks later, the young ladies who clean for us had to clean the porch (craft room) and I told them about it. All of a sudden I hear this: "Gramma, is this it?" Woohoo I was happy. This is what I think happened: I cut it, it flew, hit the floor and zoomed under the work table which is really a large chest of drawers (made by my dear husband) and bounced and landed right behind the left front short leg! I was SO happy.

Unfortunately last summer three of us were cutting out thousands of letters and images and one of my little tiny leaf dies probably landed in the trash! :( So glad you were able to find your lost little stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default 1 year later

I lost the clear piece to my stampamajig several times... It took me a year to find it!!! It had slide in an old catalog!!! I wrote my name on the clear piece in permanent marker. And have not lost it since ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in the process of putting away my new dies. I have a set of stamps and dies that I got from Hero Arts. It is the Layering Goldfish. I have had them for several months and have used them several times. I even have a die cut piece of card stock with one of the fish cut out so that I can die cut it evenly. Well, while going through my stuff, I noticed the the larger fishdie is missing. I am really upset because it is one of my favorite sets and it would be very difficult to fussy cut it out. I am really hoping that when I finally get my new dies in order, I will be able to find it! That's what I get for trying to be organized! 😕
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobarb26View Post
I am in the process of putting away my new dies. I have a set of stamps and dies that I got from Hero Arts. It is the Layering Goldfish. I have had them for several months and have used them several times. I even have a die cut piece of card stock with one of the fish cut out so that I can die cut it evenly. Well, while going through my stuff, I noticed the the larger fishdie is missing. I am really upset because it is one of my favorite sets and it would be very difficult to fussy cut it out. I am really hoping that when I finally get my new dies in order, I will be able to find it! That's what I get for trying to be organized! 😕
That's sad....I sure hope you find it. By chance do you have/use a MISTI? If so, check the underside of it to see if the die is magneted to it. I had a MISTI magnet disappear and I discovered it days later mooshed into the soft covering on the underside. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I am so glad that I am among so many who seem to loose stamps and whatever no matter how careful one is they seem to go missing, My craft room is in a spare bedroom and have a single bed in there. I clean my stamps set them on towel to dry then put away and one day had them on floor by stamping table and one of my dogs likes to crawl under the bed while in here and I happened to look at her when coming out from under the bed and saw one of my stamps was walking out the door on her, grabbed her, got my stamp and said wonder if that is where my one dragonfly stamp went as not find yet, needless to say my stamps now sit on the bed on the towel safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by efromhawaiiView Post
Having to hunt for those tiny dies that seem to just walk away all the time was maddening. I finally got myself a big metal magnetized bowl which is next to my Big Shot and I toss my dies in if I'm not able to put them away right away. They don't seem to walk away anymore.

erin
BRILLIANT!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

thank you all for the suggestions!!! Off to Home Depot!!!!
I did buy a really cheap acrylic picture frame to park my stamps on while working
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Like Erin, I toss dies in a magnetic bowl by my die cutting machine. Mine is small, similar to this one for $5.00: https://smile.amazon.com/Capri-Tools...=Magnetic+bowl

I learned my lesson about stamps after almost losing one in a trash can with Chinese food containers and other glop. The stamp was clinging to the very top but I didn't notice until going through almost everything.

Now I quickly clean my stamps while still on the block/platform and place them on top of the plastic sheet that protects the set. I don't put them under the sheet and in the pocket since that's too much of an interruption, plus they may be wet from cleaning but stamps from different sets are on top of their own set and stuck well until the end of the session.

If I didn't clean them I'd still stick them there so they'd be safe on top of their set and ready to clean/put away.
Quoting myself, weird! Interestingly, the bowl I linked to in the earlier post cost $5.00 with free shipping when I linked to it. Now it's a few dollars higher - maybe due to a sudden run on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

For my clear stamps, I have 12 x 12 sheet of mylar which I attached to foam poster board. I try to put my clear stamps away as I use them but sometimes when I'm working on a bunch of cards or need to use the stamp again it's frustrating and time consuming having to clean and put it back all the time so I stick it to the mylar sheet. I have a plastic container that I throw the set in and when I done I'll clean and sort it all out. Less stress for me which makes this hobby so much more enjoyable.

erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a bad habit of laying out all my layers, bellies etc including clear stamps (often sentiments) on my card where I want them to plan the card. Then I set them aside while I glue the layers down, die cut etc. Dang it if I haven't lost several stamps that way, especially the tiny ones!. I find most of them stuck to my ruler, ink pads, the back of a paper pad or on the floor but the triple dot image to compliment the berry image from a Wplus9 set is still missing! Fortunately I can just dip a stylus in ink or use a marker to replace the dots. But it taught me a valuable lesson. Now I stick them to the outer packaging of the stamp set or on top of the contact sheet while I think on my decision or create the rest of my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
That's sad....I sure hope you find it. By chance do you have/use a MISTI? If so, check the underside of it to see if the die is magneted to it. I had a MISTI magnet disappear and I discovered it days later mooshed into the soft covering on the underside. :confused:
Hi. I checked under there after reading your post but it is not there. I don't usually use one die without the other. My die cutting area is such a mess right now. (Actually my whole studio is a mess!) I am hoping it will turn up once I get organized again. I have been getting so many dies from China and I have been putting them in my magnetic dish but it is so full right now. I am planning on buying another one on Sunday at Harbor Freight. That way I can keep one on my desk and one in the closet counter just to be safe. Thanks for trying to help! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes