Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:10 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purge paper or use it up?

I have so much cardstock. Most of it is SU and many of those are retired. I also have a complete line of Amuse Studio.

I find that I use certain colors over and over, and most colors rarely or never. Do I really need 5 shades of ocean blue? Or 6 shades of pale pink? A few colors I don't like at all.

Ideally, I'd like to pare down my stash to just the ones I love and rid myself of the excess similar shades. But I can't bring myself to do it. It's the usual excuses: "But I paid good money for it." "I might need it." "It's consumable - so use it up!". I've also added the excuse that selling it would be a pain (compared to selling stamps) because I would need to make sure it doesn't get dinged up in transit, plus it's heavy so people may not like the postage price.

If I did clear out entire colors, I would also sell the ink pad (and refill, since I have a full set of those).

Has anyone struggled with this? If you decided to keep, what did you do to ensure that you really used your supplies up? If you decided to sell, how did you decide which colors to keep, and how did you sell the ones you decided to purge?

To make it worse, I'm still interested in adding new colors. I'm on the quest for the perfect neutrals, plus some fun bright colors. Amuse Pebble is my go-to neutral non-white base. I'd love to add a cooler gray and just purchased a few MFT grays to test out. I have no more room for more cardstock, so I need to do something with the colors I already have.

My Pinterest Boards
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Singing from the same choir on the cardstock, but not the matching inks, I am right there with you!

So what if I have 26 shades of blue.....

I LOVE colour, it makes me happy

unless it is making you sad, why get rid of it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My vote is to purge everything you don't love and use.

Sell or donate, whatever makes the most sense. If you need to mail it, you can use a medium weight Priority box for shipping and it's not that expensive for what you can get in the box (I think up to 70 pounds).

Wasn't it you who started the Minimalism Doesn't Work With Stamping thread? That thread was a game-changer for me. I did a massive purge and got rid of loads of things that were just staring me in the face every time I walked into my studio and accusing me of not using them. Who needs that kind of negativity?

Yes, once I purged, I did begin buying new stuff. But the purge taught me a lot about what I do and don't like and want. So you don't have feel like a purge means that's the end of it, you get down to what you love and there you stay.

I'll bet a lot of that paper is paper you bought a while ago. You're a different person now. Your journey as a crafter has moved you along to a new place. You wouldn't keep clothes that don't suit or fit anymore. Think of it that way. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
My vote is to purge everything you don't love and use.

Sell or donate, whatever makes the most sense. If you need to mail it, you can use a medium weight Priority box for shipping and it's not that expensive for what you can get in the box (I think up to 70 pounds).

Wasn't it you who started the Minimalism Doesn't Work With Stamping thread? That thread was a game-changer for me. I did a massive purge and got rid of loads of things that were just staring me in the face every time I walked into my studio and accusing me of not using them. Who needs that kind of negativity?

Yes, once I purged, I did begin buying new stuff. But the purge taught me a lot about what I do and don't like and want. So you don't have feel like a purge means that's the end of it, you get down to what you love and there you stay.

I'll bet a lot of that paper is paper you bought a while ago. You're a different person now. Your journey as a crafter has moved you along to a new place. You wouldn't keep clothes that don't suit or fit anymore. Think of it that way. ;)!
That was me who started that post. 'I'm glad it inspired you.

I've been working on getting my craft supplies simplified, even if I can't go full minimalist. The stamps were easy - they're my style or they aren't. The tools and embellishments were also easy. The paper has proved difficult, so I left it alone at first. But now that I've purged everything else, the paper is a glaring omission.

You're right. Much of my paper is not my style the same way certain stamps were no longer my style. I have a much better handle on colors I love and use and colors I ignore, and I no longer have the desire to own a complete line of any brand. I'm branching away from SU and their constant removal and replacement of colors, many of which are oh-so-similar. I'm sure others would love the colors I'm ignoring.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Singing from the same choir on the cardstock, but not the matching inks, I am right there with you!

So what if I have 26 shades of blue.....

I LOVE colour, it makes me happy

unless it is making you sad, why get rid of it?
I doubt I'll get rid of any of my ocean blues. But I don't like cardstock that's muddy in tone. SU has a lot of those, so that's an easy place to start.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also say - and this is my personal preference, others will have their own - that I started with SU paper because my SIL was a demo and although I still keep some selected colors of their cardstock on hand, I find it too thin for a card base. That started me branching out. I don't keep a lot of colors in. And at this point most of them are PTI because I simply like their palette and the cardstock is heavy.

I understand the cardstock hesitancy. I had the same experience. My SIL had sent me several boxes of retired SU cardstock a few years ago (as though it were a gift, but I'll bet she was purging herself!), and it had been sitting and sitting in piles on my shelves. I'd purged everything else, and here was all this paper. I kept thinking I shouldn't get rid of it. That I would find some use for it. But I didn't like it. The colors didn't call to me. So I finally gave it away. And that was a relief.

Yes, your thread was a real wake-up call for me. I went and read Marie Kondo's book. I don't think I could be called a minimalist in any arena by any means. But I do like to think that I have begun to "curate" my possessions. No dead wood. Nothing that's not earning its keep. Not done yet (books are my downfall, although living here in the extremely hot and humid Keys it's easy to fall out of love with walls full of bookshelves, it's no fun battling the mildew and silverfish), but definitely her philosophy has become a creed of sorts for me.

Get rid of that paper, and get in the stuff you really love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,163 Likes on 497 Posts

That funny you should ask this.... Because I struggled with find the right 12x by12 pattern double sided paper. to go with right projects and right thickness for the projects. And Solid paper to much it. I have hard time find 12by12 pattern that is double sided paper. That I like for projects like these. And the paper that is double sided paper. I don't think will look good with these type of projects? Or I thinking is double sided paper is ugly. Here are the projects I was Ref. too. One is long videos, And the other one is done out of fabric. I wanted to make mine out of 12x12 is double sided paper. Can I ask a question here too? How do you pick out the right 12x12 double sided paper Pattern papers? It doesn't have be that paper in the videos. I am Just saying what I was trying to find the right 12x12 double sided paper Pattern for is all. thanks, Linda

here is first project.
And the second one here:
Card Clutch Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 02:05 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

hotwheels, I avoid patterned paper for that very reason.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

you should see all patterned paper I have that's not 12x12 Lol I get hard open 12x12 patterned paper that is double sided at Micheal's Hobby Lobby or Joanns too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
hotwheels, I avoid patterned paper for that very reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Ok...well how about this?

Fast ways to use up paper: make scrap cards. Either strips or squares or quilt dies....balloons, stars, sun rays, etc. You may not love the color as a whole layer but as part of a pattern, it could be ok?

Use it for envelope liner on any you feel are thin.

Make envelopes out of them.

In the very end...shred it for gifts packaging. The holidays are coming up fast now. If you have to ship gifts, you will be happy to have the shred. Or for ones you put in gift bags.

Dont keep it but you also dont have to ditch it.

Or offer to do a trade here. Or sell it. Other people might like those colors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I would never just ditch it. I would pass it along to someone who can appreciate it.

I'm going to spend some time tomorrow pulling out colors I don't want.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #12  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You received lits of grest ideas. When you're ready to donatd this thread might be helpful:

Where to donate? by Scrapjanny at Splitcoaststampers

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you have any 12x12 double you wanted donate I will glad it take I wanted church gifts or solid too!

Quote:

I would never just ditch it. I would pass it along to someone who can appreciate it.

I'm going to spend some time tomorrow pulling out colors I don't want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I didn't go to the thread referenced here, so it may already be recommended, but an elementary school is a great place to donate paper of all kinds. I donated mine to the art teacher and to say she was happy was an understatement. So much money has been cut out of their budget that these kinds of things are really a boost. And they can use it all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

What a great idea schools are! So many dont even have an art teacher anymore :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I just struggled through what you're talking about, Sue. I had this thought (it may not be based at all in anything resembling facts, but it helped me out) that IF SU were to get alcohol markers again, it would be sensible to have markers match paper in several coordinating shades.

So...on that whimsical notion :rolleyes: I decided to keep or purge based on sets of colors. Well, kind of. I won't get rid of ANY turquoises/ocean blues. Same with reds, although there aren't that many. But I had way too many greens...and way too many toned colors (the greyed ones that neither you nor I like). It was oppressive.

So I arranged sets of colors that I liked and would work together. I took almost 30 colors out of my collection, some of them current colors, and have 74 left. I could pare that down, but "my colors" run to turquoises and reds, and southwestern colors. I had to keep two greens for Christmas, and two groups of green because they coordinate. I HAD to keep some purples, because I have three granddaughters who are PASSIONATE about purple. I still have some iffy colors, but they can go if I don't use them. My color drawers look SO much lighter!

Good luck!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Diane, I knew someone posted recently about doing just that, and thought it might have been you but wasn't sure.

I did it! I purged not just my cardstock, but my inkpads and refills, too.

This is the pile of SU cardstock, inks & refills to sell:

This is the cardstock remaining. Notice the two empty bins. I've got the colors sorted ROYGBIV, plus a box for neutrals, and a box for patterned, shimmer, and other specialty paper.

Here's the shelf, after the purge. I had 6 boxes crammed in there before. I can fit these 4 here, and the other three on a shelf behind my desk.

I pulled out cardstock by color family and from there, it was easy to decide what I love and what to keep. I used to separate SU from Amuse, but now it's all mixed together by family. Matching ink pads and reinkers were pulled. I also found some other SU ink pads (older colors, plus some current colors that I didn't like enough to buy the paper) to add. My inks are now easier to see, as well.

I need to list all of this and get it out of the house and to new homes, but this is a big relief.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow Sue, You had a lot paper too. What colors did you keep? I Love brights Soft colors And pastels elegant paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
Wow Sue, You had a lot paper too. What colors did you keep? I Love brights Soft colors And pastels elegant paper
I kept all of my Amuse Studio papers because they have white backing which makes them great for cards. I also love their colors.

As for SU: I kept all but the ones that had gray or brown undertones. If I had colors that are almost identical (such as Tangelo Twist and Tangerine Tango), I kept the current one. I kept almost all of the ocean blues, except the ones like Lost Lagoon and Blue Bayou that have grey undertones. I love orange but only kept the pure, bright ones. The ones with muddy undertones, like Really Rust or Dusty Durango, were culled.

One thing I noticed - the older colors that have been long since retired are a noticeably thicker cardstock than the current cardstock.

I also had a lot of cheap, thin cardstock from my early days when I didn't know better. Almost all of that went, except a few colors that are perfect for my UglyDoll punch creations.

As for ink pads, I had a bunch of older linen pads in colors (like Green Galore and Yo-Yo Yellow) that I never had cardstock to match. I now have other ink pads in these primary and bright colors, so those were also culled. Now that I use the MISTI for most of my stamping, I find myself reaching for the smaller pads, like my Memento dewdrops.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I didn't go to the thread referenced here, so it may already be recommended, but an elementary school is a great place to donate paper of all kinds. I donated mine to the art teacher and to say she was happy was an understatement. So much money has been cut out of their budget that these kinds of things are really a boost. And they can use it all!
That's so nice! I called every elementary school near us at one time and got no takers. One person did explain that way back when, some people would donate stuff that wasn't worth saving, like dried paint. There was too much time spent sorting through rejects.

So most of my stuff goes to a lovely thrift store where proceeds go to an animal shelter/medical center. And a senior center accepts arts and craft supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey sue,
You said One thing I noticed - the older colors that have been long since retired are a noticeably thicker cardstock than the current cardstock.

1. So I have questions What year would you notice this happening with Cardstock?

2 Is the Patterned less thick too? if so what year this happen too? I am just wondering this. thanks Linda

Quote:

I kept all of my Amuse Studio papers because they have white backing which makes them great for cards. I also love their colors.

As for SU: I kept all but the ones that had gray or brown undertones. If I had colors that are almost identical (such as Tangelo Twist and Tangerine Tango), I kept the current one. I kept almost all of the ocean blues, except the ones like Lost Lagoon and Blue Bayou that have grey undertones. I love orange but only kept the pure, bright ones. The ones with muddy undertones, like Really Rust or Dusty Durango, were culled.

One thing I noticed - the older colors that have been long since retired are a noticeably thicker cardstock than the current cardstock.

I also had a lot of cheap, thin cardstock from my early days when I didn't know better. Almost all of that went, except a few colors that are perfect for my UglyDoll punch creations.

As for ink pads, I had a bunch of older linen pads in colors (like Green Galore and Yo-Yo Yellow) that I never had cardstock to match. I now have other ink pads in these primary and bright colors, so those were also culled. Now that I use the MISTI for most of my stamping, I find myself reaching for the smaller pads, like my Memento dewdrops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I will take the wanted stuff I donate cards too bunch of places too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
Hey sue,
You said One thing I noticed - the older colors that have been long since retired are a noticeably thicker cardstock than the current cardstock.

1. So I have questions What year would you notice this happening with Cardstock?

2 Is the Patterned less thick too? if so what year this happen too? I am just wondering this. thanks Linda
I don't know when it got thinner. I've got SU cardstock dating back 15 years, and the oldest colors are thicker.

I don't buy patterned paper, so I don't know if there was any change to that.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello Sue,

That okay maybe can answers questions I am just wondering about it! since you was talking about!

Quote:

I don't know when it got thinner. I've got SU cardstock dating back 15 years, and the oldest colors are thicker.

I don't buy patterned paper, so I don't know if there was any change to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 05:17 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got rid of a ton of SU papers, inks, markers stamp sets, etc. that either I wasn't using or just did not appeal to me. I wasn't using them and they were taking up space where other things could go. I used the money to buy things (paper etc) that I knew I would use.Good luck! It can be a daunting task :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 06:07 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

My colored cardstock is all SU. Being a Hobby demo caused that. My whites and off whites are from other companies because of base weight. My new favorite white is Strathmore Bristol

I have kept all my cardstock but didn't stock up before colors retired. Funny reading thread today because this morning I added a card to the gallery using retired colors.

This weekend I have been purging stamps ready for a garage sale. Now you've got me thinking some ink, cardstock and ribbon should go as well. I like the idea of if there are two similar colors go with the current. But my question is will Midnight Muse replace Night of Navy.:confused::confused:

My cardstock is filed SU style using a magazine file for each family. Then others for specialty and heavy base. The far end has all the retired colors.
Here is a picture of my cardstock storage.

Purge paper or use it up?-dsc00086.jpg

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
My colored cardstock is all SU. Being a Hobby demo caused that. My whites and off whites are from other companies because of base weight. My new favorite white is Strathmore Bristol

I have kept all my cardstock but didn't stock up before colors retired. Funny reading thread today because this morning I added a card to the gallery using retired colors.

This weekend I have been purging stamps ready for a garage sale. Now you've got me thinking some ink, cardstock and ribbon should go as well. I like the idea of if there are two similar colors go with the current. But my question is will Midnight Muse replace Night of Navy.:confused::confused:

My cardstock is filed SU style using a magazine file for each family. Then others for specialty and heavy base. The far end has all the retired colors.
Here is a picture of my cardstock storage.

Attachment 328093
I was a hobby demo briefly,too.

As for Night of Navy/Midnight Muse - I've gone through multiple packs of Night of Navy through the years. Midnight Muse is not the same. I like both and kept both, but if NoN retires, I will either stock up or look for a similar color in another brand. There are a limited number of colors I've had to refill: NoN, Real Red, Crumb Cake. I'm getting close to using up Soft Sky and Cherry Cobbler.

I've long since replaced Whisper White with other brands. In fact, I was using my remaining WW as scrap paper until a friend said she'd buy it from me. It's not a pure enough white for me.

I can't store my cardstock that way because it always ends up getting warped. It would be so much simpler for me if I didn't need to lay it flat.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's interesting to look at some of the professional stamp artists like Jennifer McGuire --- she never buys patterned paper or even colored cardstock. She makes her own patterned paper with stamps, and adds ink to white cardstock to get the colors she needs. Her cards are beautiful and well-done.

I got to the point that I felt overwhelmed every time I went in to my craft room because there was so much potential in everything I owned, and so little time to act on all of my own ideas. I just sold a bunch of older stamps and punches, and felt as though a great burden had been lifted. I am looking forward to getting my collection down to a manageable size so I can start enjoying the hobby again instead of dreading it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I didn't read ANY of the posts after the original question, so I apologize if I'm being redundant...

IF you have patterned papers that you still love, keep the cardstock that matches, just in case. IF you do not, get rid of it (and the ink, as well). IF you love the color and have no matching dp, go get some or figure out other ways to use it. Anything that does not fit into either of those two categories is not worthy of the real estate it is taking up, and has to go. Just my opinion, but there it is...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 06:33 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmyersView Post
I think it's interesting to look at some of the professional stamp artists like Jennifer McGuire --- she never buys patterned paper or even colored cardstock. She makes her own patterned paper with stamps, and adds ink to white cardstock to get the colors she needs. Her cards are beautiful and well-done.
Oh, but Jennifer buys and uses a lot of colored cardstock. Take a look at this video for her collection...

I guess I must add that her collection seems even larger now than it was then.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Rats. Lost the embed code when I tried to edit a word.

And it still won't embed in this post. Weird. Here's the link:
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Hate that. : ) Maybe this one?
Video: Paper Storage + Creative Spaces Vol. 3 Blog Hop + GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Hate that. : ) Maybe this one?
Video: Paper Storage + Creative Spaces Vol. 3 Blog Hop + GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Anyone know Ref. file that's listed all the 12x12 double sided patterned paper? That stampin'up every made? I just wanted 12x12 double sided patterned paper. With names so I can looking them up? thanks Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I'm due for a purge, but I'm going to wait until after the Dare To Get Dirty and Falliday Fest events - both of those events are coming up quickly, and they're great opportunities to use up supplies! If I make cards to donate, I don't worry about using the latest colors or patterned papers.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I'm due for a purge, but I'm going to wait until after the Dare To Get Dirty and Falliday Fest events - both of those events are coming up quickly, and they're great opportunities to use up supplies! If I make cards to donate, I don't worry about using the latest colors or patterned papers.
That's a great idea. The reinkers sold, but the cardstock and ink pads aren't moving. If they don't sell, I'll just use up the cardstock. I also have a friend that just got into cardmaking, so I can offer it to her at a discount.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

When dates For these events and time will started? and I am in central time zone? I am aired I wont about join very much events do the scheduled of Tulsa OK Mom comes first lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Dare To Get Dirty is scheduled for July 28-Aug. 4 ... for Falliday Fest I have Oct. 8-21.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 03:09 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I went thru similar experiences. I was an SU demo had a ton of CS, matching ink pads and reinkers. I stored all cs carefully labeled in their own folder and froze at making a card if I didn't have the matching ribbon, ink or whatever.
I was never creative anymore just copying stuff from catalog. I headed into scrapping because it was way more creative. I had paralyzed myself with this SU matching stuff.
My stuff sat for five years with me only using it to make Christmas cards. I would buy stamp set from Scrapbook.com and at CKC Lancaster from other companies and felt free to use them with any inks I had. I branched out and bought Distress inks and lawn Fawn inks. I finally realized that I never used my SU ink pads because I just didn't like opening them anymore.
I put the SU ink pads and the reinkers in a box and RAK to anyone willing to pay postage. I then went thru the cards stock and pulled out anything I didn't love .
I reorganized the file cabinet to say reds, blues, etc.....I mix all pinks and reds in one file. I no longer know there names and don't care. The cardstock was also RAK to anyone willing to pay postage.
The stamps were the hardest part. I put everything on the floor. I put back on shelf what I loved or thought I would use. I boxed all other stamps up and put in basement. Over the course of the following year I pulled out about a dozen sets or random stamps. After a year I took what was left and RAK the clear ones. The wood was too heavy and I pitched.

I have never regretted my decision....I have since purchased from SU two packs of asst cs of the In Colors. I have blended the packs into my file system. I am happy to say that I am now happy to stamp , I am not stressed about color anymore....I don't need to buy an entire collection of anything. Good luck on your color journey. I think color is very personal and I love it!

Last edited by Gabriella18; 07-05-2017 at 03:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Gabriella, that's quite the journey.

I had a much easier time with the stamps. All I needed to do was ask myself "do I want to create something with this right now?" If the answer was no, it went. My style has evolved, and a lot of my early purchases weren't right for me any more.

Cardstock was so much harder. I love color. I love having multiple options of similar shades, so I can find just the right one. I had to really think hard about what colors I use most often, and what type of colors I typically choose.

Ink pads were easier. I'm also tired of the SU pads. They're cumbersome to open, and cumbersome to use on the MISTI. If I purged cardstock, the ink pad also went. I also went through the pads that I didn't have matching cardstock, and most of those went as well.

I'm also not interested in SU much any more. I haven't bought In Colors in over two cycles now. I think part of it is that I get attached, then really upset when something retires, and I hoard it rather than use it because the supply is limited. I'd rather know I can restock whenever I want.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes