Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Attaching Vent Covers to Chipboard?

I have many of my dies on chipboard covered with those self-stick magnetic sheets. The magnetic sheets are okay, but not great, stuff slides off. I am thinking of redo-ing everything using vent covers because I am thinking they are stonger magnetically. But how would I best attach them to chipboard? Glue? What kind of glue? Something else?

And are they stronger than the peel and stick sheets I get from Oriental Trading?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

This is the tape that I attached my vent covers to the laminated sheets I use. (I put the die picture on one side of a piece of cardstock and laminate it, then tape on the magnet)

Elmer's Permanent Double Sided Tape | Double-Sided Tape

It STICKS! I used three strips of tape going across the magnet, top, middle, bottom. More isn't really needed.

And the magnetic vent covers do a really good job of holding the dies. As long as the whole thing is stiff (not bendy) they will stay put. My laminated cardstock with the magnets attached were very stiff.

PS...I looked up the OTC magnetic sheets, also available on Amazon, and Amazon had reviews. Looks like those are much thinner and much more flexible, and barely magnetic. Vent covers are much thicker (about 1/16 inch), much stiffer, and much more magnetic. I think you'll be pleased with them.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Sook wang or score tape. The red super sticky tape works good too;
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I haven't used it for the application you are describing, but E6000 has a spray adhesive (found it a Wal-mart) that I have used very successfully for adhering paper to metal to make little note boards out of step flashing. I think it would work well for the vent covers.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Oh, thank you all!

Now I am going to have to do this. I am sick of my dies sliding around. I've got my panels in PPs, but it's still annoying and every so often a small one towards the edge of the panel slides out and escapes completely. And gets lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet but I see she uses vent covers: &feature=em-uploademail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I just swipe a couple of strips from my ATG to hold mine...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I use my ATG. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Evidently I'm in the minority because I tried the vent covers and didn't like them. They added too much bulk to my storage system, and didn't hold all that well for me. I put my dies in plastic CD storage sleeves, and the larger ones in the Tim Holtz-type storage pockets from Hobby Lobby. Everything is stored upright so I can just flip through it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Food for thought.

I really just want to duplicate exactly what I already have, but with stronger magnetic sheets. Like when you buy dies, they sometimes come on a small, non-rigid but very magnetic sheet? I always wonder what that is.

The vent covers are only 8 inches wide. And my panels are 8.5X11. But I think I can work with them.

Those self adhesive sheets from Oriental Trader are weak.

I am going to think about all of this over the weekend while I am hopefully MAKING SOMETHING with my stuff instead of 1)buying more stuff or 2)organizing my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Food for thought.

I really just want to duplicate exactly what I already have, but with stronger magnetic sheets. Like when you buy dies, they sometimes come on a small, non-rigid but very magnetic sheet? I always wonder what that is.

The vent covers are only 8 inches wide. And my panels are 8.5X11. But I think I can work with them.

Those self adhesive sheets from Oriental Trader are weak.

I am going to think about all of this over the weekend while I am hopefully MAKING SOMETHING with my stuff instead of 1)buying more stuff or 2)organizing my stuff.
That's exactly where I'm at, too!

Also, it just occurred to me to wonder if you could paint chipboard with magnetic paint and that would work...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It depends on the manufacturer, but magnetic paint is relatively weak since it doesn't contain much iron dust. Multiple coats can increase strength - I vaguely remember reading that six coats doubled strength for one brand. (I specified paint in when consulting.)

Since most dies don't weigh much (with the exception of mostly solid background dies), it might work. Some is difficult to apply. If the time/effort/$$ is worth testing depends on the person I guess.

I use magnetic sheets only for sets with lots of tiny dies or nested dies a la JM. Sheets are attached to heavy CS with 1/2" or 5/8" ScorTape and it works well. Dies are in heavy pockets, though, so a different system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I have a separate system for my Nesties, because the sets are so heavy. Half sheets, actually small magnetic panels from Crafters Companion (which are pretty rigid, the full size ones are not) in PPs that I cut in half.

What I want to redo is all the other stuff. Which is on those chipboard sheets covered with self-stick magnetic stuff. I have a lot of long border dies, so the pocket idea really wouldn't work for me. I'd have to keep those dies separate, which I guess I could do.

I am overthinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

I have a separate system for my Nesties, because the sets are so heavy. Half sheets, actually small magnetic panels from Crafters Companion (which are pretty rigid, the full size ones are not) in PPs that I cut in half.

What I want to redo is all the other stuff. Which is on those chipboard sheets covered with self-stick magnetic stuff. I have a lot of long border dies, so the pocket idea really wouldn't work for me. I'd have to keep those dies separate, which I guess I could do.

I am overthinking.
I do that well. PhD.

I have some long dies; they stick out over the square pockets. The pockets and bin don't care. But we all have our different no-way-on-earths that must be respected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, first post, long time lurker.

I bought magnetic sheets on amazon from Marietta Magnetic mills, I think in GA. They come already sized for the Avery Elle knock-off pockets, also from amazon. 5 x 7. They are sturdy as all get out. In fact, too sturdy, be sure to get just the 20-25 mill, anything higher - 30 - is way too heavy. No need for cardstock unless you want it. 25 sheets for $15, which works out to about .60 a sheet. Oriental Trading mag sheets are hokum compared to real magnetic sheets.

TTFN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by La.Petit.RocheView Post

I bought magnetic sheets on amazon from Marietta Magnetic mills,

I use these too. Much better than the Oriental Trading ones which I used previously. The ones I bought are adhesive on one side and I stick them to chipboard so they are nice and sturdy. I bought the 8 x 10 version here.

Last edited by jenmitchell; 06-14-2017 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: removed a line
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default I used to buy the 8 x 10 sheets too, but had to cut them down.

It just seemed like waste cutting the sheets, and I have no room to store dies on 8 x 10 sheets. I now have a box with 1/2" to 3" strips. I figure someday we'll need them. ;)

Who wouldn't want Jennifer McGuire's craft room/studio. (drooling) I have a very small bedroom with limited wall space. It wasn't something I noticed when house hunting, but the room has a really strange layout, which cuts down on storage and elbow room.

One day...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmitchellView Post
I use these too. Much better than the Oriental Trading ones which I used previously. The ones I bought are adhesive on one side and I stick them to chipboard so they are nice and sturdy. I bought the 8 x 10 version here.
These are also the ones I use. I store mine with stamp sets in plastic sleeves - like Avery Elle, and adhere them to the back of the card the stamps are on. Keeps everything together nice and neat. The adhesive is firm, I can use my TH small guillotine to cut them to size, and I'm good to go. Absolutely love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I bought magnetic sheets on amazon from Marietta Magnetic mills, I think in GA. They come already sized for the Avery Elle knock-off pockets, also from amazon. 5 x 7. They are sturdy as all get out. In fact, too sturdy, be sure to get just the 20-25 mill, anything higher - 30 - is way too heavy. No need for cardstock unless you want it. 25 sheets for $15, which works out to about .60 a sheet. Oriental Trading mag sheets are hokum compared to real magnetic sheets.

TTFN
Welcome to out of lurkdom status! Once you start chatting, you have to keep it up! Nice to meet you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

These Marietta Mills sheets look great. I would want the 8 X 10's. But I stand my panels up in a bin. My current bin fits 8.5X12 inch panels perfectly (landscape orientation). How do any of you store them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use the vent covers taped to a piece of lightweight cardboard.......like the backing piece on Stampin' Up DSP. I use some in Tim Holtz envelopes and some in small binders inside page protectors......I also use two pieces of magnet sheets per piece of cardboard when needed. So far it's all working well.

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

These Marietta Mills sheets look great. I would want the 8 X 10's. But I stand my panels up in a bin. My current bin fits 8.5X12 inch panels perfectly (landscape orientation). How do any of you store them?
I store mine standing up in refrigerator bins, so I don't think you will have a problem storing yours the way you have been. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut the 8 x 10 sheets into quarters and store each die set separately (so I can keep track of the name of the die and who makes it). Then I store each one in these CD sleeves.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I always buy the 4x6 self-adhesive sheets from Magnet Valley that I attach to chipboard or mat board. Every now and then, a die won't stick to the magnet and it makes me wonder about the variation of the metal in some dies and not the strength of the magnet. I just thought that dies were iron and would be magnetic but after a little research, I found that magnetic materials are a mix of products so it makes me wonder if some of the non-sticking dies are made of less magnetic materials and no matter what I do they are not going to stick.

OK I know kind of weird thoughts ....I need to get a life.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High jack topic

Quote:

TTFN
Sorry to high jack topic, but do the knock off pockets havevacsize that fits 6x6 stencils and background stamps, and larger dies that are not so tall as the large Avery Elle. No matter how I organize, there is never a size for the next thing I buy. Ugh!,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
Sorry to high jack topic, but do the knock off pockets havevacsize that fits 6x6 stencils and background stamps, and larger dies that are not so tall as the large Avery Elle. No matter how I organize, there is never a size for the next thing I buy. Ugh!,

Will these do?
https://www.totally-tiffany.com/product/6x6-file-pockets-paper...

I also think My Favorite Things has them, too...Not entirely certain, but I believe so. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I store all my dies in the CD cases, using the magnetic vent covers to hold the dies. And I sure the Scotch double sided tape to hold the magnetic vent cover to the CD case, and insert the cut photo from the die packaging in the front of the CD case. Works perfectly for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2017, 06:17 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I too use magnetic vent covers from Lowe's (cut each sheet into thirds, then trim a little to fit). Put them in CD cases which have a small tab that you can slide the vent cover under (no tape or glue needed to hold them in) , use the product name info. glued (with glue dots) on the inside front cover of the CD case. File them standing up in baskets on my shelf. Easy and quick to find the one I want to use and useful to bring the whole basket to my work area.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Also using vent covers I get at Ace hardware. 3/pack for 10. I get 3 to the pc plus extra and then at the end I frankenstein the extras into a 10th. So that works out to 1.00 ea if I dont have a coupon. I need to look at that place for 60 cents! I tried the mag pieces from stamp companies and none were either as strong sticking or thick.

Note: If I was willing to have a non solid/total cover magnetic...like only do strips attached to cardboard/chipboard-I could stretch out the vent covers much further. I have seen people do that. But as I may store a bunch of similar topic together..I want the flexiblity total coverage gives me.

I am using the knock off pockets, I pop the piece in with a piece of cardboard. If the die is a very solid large-like a solid cover die-I use average cardboard. If it is nesting or other delicates-I go with a heavy non bending cardboard. I dont stick to to the cardboard. I pop the image in the back and label the front with category like...branches.

Some people feel that this double layer that I do is too fat and takes up too much room. It's personal taste. I freely admit I find dies expensive and therefore may be over protective of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Lowes wont ship to my local store and the shipping makes it more expensive than the Ace. :( But I have to put that on my general "If I am around this store" list.

6 x 6 I got at SSS keep in mind if they are exact 6 x 6 it can be too tight for a 6 x 6 stamp.https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...6x6-65352/1100

(note-holy cow-SSS has really expanded their storage dept!)

tall: Avery elle has one that is 9 3/8 inches..not cheap but either wait for a sale or see it as you dont use them often so the pack will last?

Stamp Storage I Avery Elle

MFT has 8 tall.

Storage Supplies

I got my 5 1/2 x 9 3/8 from Ellen Hutson. They are very thick and durable. The medium 25 pack. On sale of course The three 12 inch ones I got by accident years ago just hang out between bins on my shelf.

https://www.ellenhutson.com/packaging-storage/

The good news is that the idea took off so a bunch of companies now carry them in various sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

I just reordered from Magnet valley and 100 sheets of 4x6 w/adhesive is 28.95 + 9.95 shipping - 38.90 works out to 39 cents each. I use 2 per storage base as they are 6 x 8 so my total cost is 78 cents each. I'm thinking this is a pretty good price and I don't have to add the adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I purchased self-adhesive magnetic sheets from Amazon and had trouble with sliding. Then I had a light bulb moment and placed the dies on the magentic sheets cutting edge up. No more sliding
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
I purchased self-adhesive magnetic sheets from Amazon and had trouble with sliding. Then I had a light bulb moment and placed the dies on the magentic sheets cutting edge up. No more sliding
Yep - that is how I store mine:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Our Lowe's never seems to have them but Home Depot does and they are probably the same thing.........plus they've always been in stock when I need them!

Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

To be honest ... I just use a plain o permanent glue stick to attach my magnetic sheets to the chip board ... started doing that several years ago ... have yet to have one fall part on me
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Subscribing, want to read later, TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2017, 06:59 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a stack of 25 8.5"x11" magnetic sheets from Amazon..not as strong as the ArtBin ones but about the same as the vent covers I tried. It is sticky on the back and sticks to my chipboard really well. I cut it to fit the ArtBins. And will use the leftover scraps and sheets to make frig magnets out of small paintings/card inserts. Easy to cut with my kitchen shears. About a dollar a sheet with Prime
Reply With Quote Likes