Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,163 Likes on 497 Posts
Question I wanted knowwhat are favorite Stencils for card making What do you with your stenicl

Hello Everyone:

I never really used Stencils in fashion. And a specially for card making. What are you favorite types Stencils? meaning types or theme? What you like do them? Color them, Printed them? Embossing them? Watercolor them. foil them. Where do you get stencils? I am just starting collections Stencils. So anything anyone wood like share wood greatly appreciated. Thanks Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to use stenciled backgrounds using different mediums. Here are some examples for how I use them. Stars, stripes, dots, chevron, hearts, grunge, flowers, and similar stencils. I use then with sprays, different medium pastes, sponging, airbrushing, I guess the sky is the limit when thinking about stencils. I sometimes make my own using my SNC or dies, that fun.

DH is awaiting breakfast, have to keep this short. Please excuse typos, I can't seem to type today
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I like stencils to make backgrounds or pieces (rectangles/squares) to place on card fronts. This flower stencil is the newest and by Stencil Girl. It can be purchased as either outlined flowers like I bought (first link), or filled in flowers (second link).

Garden Flowers and Leaves Outlined Stencil

http://www.stencilgirlproducts.com/product-p/l218.htm

I don't have a photo of the card I made with it (bad!) but have my first quick try playing with it. When something is new I try to use it right away without thought or judgment. If I think too much I won't use it, and if I put it away I'll forget about it.

So I scribbled Zig Clean Color Brushes on my craft mat, misted with water, picked up the color with a little paint brush, and brushed through the holes. At least that's what I think I remember.

Last edited by bjeans; 05-29-2017 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You have perfect timing, by the way! One of my top few card designers, Laura Bassen, just emailed this blog entry using a stencil.

SSS-Star Medallion Stencil ? laurafadora

Last edited by bjeans; 05-29-2017 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Thought there was a video but there isn't
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I've made my own simple stencils by die cutting a design onto something thicker than cardstock- ceral box, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love this... What are these stencils
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...gs-SZIFB12/901

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
You have perfect timing, by the way! One of my top few card designers, Laura Bassen, just emailed this blog entry using a stencil.

SSS-Star Medallion Stencil ? laurafadora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
I love this... What are these stencils
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...gs-SZIFB12/901
No, those are not stencils. They're prints for you to color in.

The description says: Contains twelve unique high quality prints just waiting to be colored! Approximately 4.25 x 5.5 inch prints on Tim Holtz watercolor paper. The perfect size for an A2 card front. These cards contain fun, cute, and inspirational sentiments and hand drawn images by Suzy Plantamura!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=SkyNacho;21475904]No, those are not stencils. They're prints for you to color in.

So are the digital stamp save computer one you buy them?

The description says: Contains twelve unique high quality prints just waiting to be colored! Approximately 4.25 x 5.5 inch prints on Tim Holtz watercolor paper. The perfect size for an A2 card front. These cards contain fun, cute, and inspirational sentiments and hand drawn images by Suzy Plantamura!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

My favs are

https://www.google.com/#q=crafters+w...=1496113241746

Shop for Unique Artist-Designed Stencils | StencilGirl Products

Tim Holtz

The style really depends on what I want to do. Stencils with more open spaces are easier to work with when using pastes where as fine detail stamps are good for any technique. I mist, fill with paste, stencil, trace and then use frisket to fill in the spaces and then watercolor, apply ink to stencil, mist with water and press onto the paper, use with Pan Pastels (chalk). I'm sure there are other techniques I just can't think of them right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 07:48 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
No, those are not stencils. They're prints for you to color in.

So are the digital stamp save computer one you buy them?

No. They are already printed on watercolor paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

What you saw at SSS are pre printed images for coloring. Very popular now with the rise of coloring books....companies are doing smaller pieces too in sets like that one. You color it in and then use it like a panel on a card.

Very different from a stencil which is a cut out pattern or image...in metal, plastic...you could make your own using a die and thick paper.

I was first introduced to stencils years ago with the metal ones from Dreamweaver. I think they are being carried by Steampendous now. they are much more expensive....yes they are a little more durable but if you get a very detailed one-they bend easy. They are a little thicker in terms of applying paste.

Plastic are much cheaper.

I use mine for backgrounds also. I have a lot of them. All kinds of geometrics (circles, stripes, etc) elements like rain, flowers, etc.

I also like to use paste. There are many paste ideas.
You can do straight in a color like gold.

Or you can sponge a color ink in, then do a clear paste over that. If you want to really punch that up, while it is still wet, cover in clear glitter.

Or you can skip the ink step and just do clear and any color glitter.

They are very popular with mixed media artists who might do pieces of different patterns on the same card.

As said, very popular to use sprays on them. You can paint through them or use color pen or pencil. You can layer images. Lots that can be done.

But you probably have sponges already so start with that.

Stencils are everywhere nowadays! And like some embossing folders, when on sale can be just 2 bucks.

My warning: Be very careful about size. I try for 6 x 6 so I can cover a card front. But they can come as big as 12 x 12 for scrapbooking, or little like for tags or accents. So pay attention to that. Also...pay attentiuon to scale. The pattern could be too big if you go bigger than 6 x 6.

One source I like and is always running some kind of sale is Susana Custom art and card design-and very nice lady.

https://www.susanascustomartandcardd...ies.php?cat=78

I try to get the hard plastic kind (still bends). Some people make them in a very flexible material. I am too heavy handed to use those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Question is grunge? I heard of it. But, know and thing about that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I like to use stenciled backgrounds using different mediums. Here are some examples for how I use them. Stars, stripes, dots, chevron, hearts, grunge, flowers, and similar stencils. I use then with sprays, different medium pastes, sponging, airbrushing, I guess the sky is the limit when thinking about stencils. I sometimes make my own using my SNC or dies, that fun.

DH is awaiting breakfast, have to keep this short. Please excuse typos, I can't seem to type today
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Question is grunge? I heard of it. But, know and thing about that?
I've Tim Holtz grunge stencils, and haven't looked for others. Can't answer why I've not looked. I've purchased quite a few grunge stamps, because I really like the look for backgrounds. Here's a couple of photos of grunge stencils, I only have the Tim Holtz. I think they're still available in craft stores or online.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

that funny I called it stencils not grunge. Why are they called grunge stencils instead just stencils? Maybe I still don't understand the difference in them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I've Tim Holtz grunge stencils, and haven't looked for others. Can't answer why I've not looked. I've purchased quite a few grunge stamps, because I really like the look for backgrounds. Here's a couple of photos of grunge stencils, I only have the Tim Holtz. I think they're still available in craft stores or online.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

that funny I called it stencils not grunge. Why are they called grunge stencils instead just stencils? Maybe I still don't understand the difference in them?
So sorry I misunderstood your question. I was referring to the grunge pattern, not the stencil material.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Grunge is a style, not a material or pattern.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

see I told you I was dummy on things like this!
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Grunge is a style, not a material or pattern.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Grunge originated as a style of music and grew to other areas. Grunge doesn't fit with in "normal" confines and was considered a sort of rebellion. In art, grunge could be considered by some as messy. I think of it more as distressed - not perfect, coloring outside the lines, random and for me refreshing as I like things to be different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
I've made my own simple stencils by die cutting a design onto something thicker than cardstock- ceral box, etc. I have noticed because I die cut that there is a right side and a wrong side. If I use the side where the paper is pushed up, I cannot use the stencil as long because of exposed edges of uncharted paper.
I bought a deck of giant playing cards and make some of my own stencils. Because they are plastic coated I can use them over and over by wiping them off with a damp cloth. I have noticed that there is a right side and a wrong side because the paper pushed up and not coated which makes it fall apart easier.

Last edited by ShariW; 05-31-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello ShariW
Do you have YouTube video Showing how you made your own Stencils. I see a lot images online when searching for things. that would like in
Stencils. Can I make images online I see in a Stencils? If so how would do this! Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
I bought a deck of giant playing cards and make some of my own stencils. Because they are plastic coated I can use them over and over by wiping them off with a damp cloth. I have noticed that there is a right side and a wrong side because the paper pushed up and not coated which makes it fall apart easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Hello ShariW
Do you have YouTube video Showing how you made your own Stencils. I see a lot images online when searching for things. that would like in
Stencils. Can I make images online I see in a Stencils? If so how would do this! Thanks,

I don't do videos. However, it is very simple to do. I used a background die for this and simply die cut it with my Big Shot. I am planning on using more of my dies to make different backgrounds and also single images that have delicate designs - i.e. A butterfly that has a delicate design to be able to use different colors as the focal point of the card. I hope this is helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you are going to take, say, an intricate butterfly die and run it through your BS in a number of spots in order to create a BG stencil? That's an interesting idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
So you are going to take, say, an intricate butterfly die and run it through your BS in a number of spots in order to create a BG stencil? That's an interesting idea.
That is my ultimate plan. I first want to see what happens if I use a larger intricate die and use it as the focal point. Then I am thinking of using a smaller intricate die and do it several times on one of the playing cards. All in the experimental stage right now. The circle worked great! Now to get up my nerve - which is something I have to get up every time I get something new! Sigh!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like it would work well. Although there are a lot of materials that would hold up longer than your cards would. Why do you like using them so much, just curious?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Seems like it would work well. Although there are a lot of materials that would hold up longer than your cards would. Why do you like using them so much, just curious?
Wanted something cheap and these are. I think I actually saw someone using them and really liked the idea. They die cut really easy I learned after getting them which is nice and they are thick. Thank you for asking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 01:00 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

How do you cardstock is thick enough? Or cereal box is thick enough? Or how do you if you get to thick? I was told hard the plastic of regular stencils hold up. So how make sure that stencils your hand make is going hold up? If You using Texture paste? Where soap and water? And I have you ladies found images you like printer out or whatever and tried turn into stencils? How would do this is my question? Because I see images I like when searching google whatever. And would turn into stencil. But, so how do this? Or can it be done either. Thanks Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 01:09 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

How do the cards? I am guessing use like cardstock? and take you die cuts and run it thow BS And there stencils right? where do you get the big cards?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
Wanted something cheap and these are. I think I actually saw someone using them and really liked the idea. They die cut really easy I learned after getting them which is nice and they are thick. Thank you for asking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 03:39 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

How do the cards? I am guessing use like cardstock? and take you die cuts and run it thow BS And there stencils right? where do you get the big cards?
I believe I got the jumbo playing cards on Amazon - I've had them for a while. The stencil is made using a die. I do not use card stock as that wouldn't hold up and would be too costly for me. I've used the one I have about 4-5 times and it is still good to go as a stencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I got some stencil plastic in the stencil section either at acmoore, Walmart, or Michaels. I think you could cut dies with it. Then it would be a real stencil. It would last forever, or as long as plastic stencils last. Its just a sheet of the plastic with nothing cut on it. Its for making your own stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite way to use stencils is for adding a little design onto my backgrounds, like I did on this card. I use either distress inks or Stampin Up inks with an ink applicator tool or sponge. I've also used modeling paste but mainly on mixed media projects and I don't do those very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

If you eat bacon, the inner plastic piece is great for making stencils! Its a heavier plastic and free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by craneacresView Post
If you eat bacon, the inner plastic piece is great for making stencils! Its a heavier plastic and free.

I'd be worried I didn't get all the grease off. I might just give that a try and see if I can get it squeaky clean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #33  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I'd be worried I didn't get all the grease off. I might just give that a try and see if I can get it squeaky clean.
I haven't done this but whenever I need to get grease off something, my first thought is to use distilled white vinegar. It would also help with any lingering odor.

Please let us know what worked (or didn't) for you ... because free is a good price
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't have any bacon in the freezer so it might be a week or two until I give it a try but I'll let you know how it works. I'm thinking if I freeze the bacon first then maybe not so much grease will be on the plastic. Hmmm, bacon and crafting? Is there a better combination ever? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

An intricate die won't make a stencil, but you can use it for a mask.

Think, for example, of how your cardstock looks after you die cut your fancy butterfly to put on a page. Your butterfly that you've cut out is fancy, but it's separate from the cardstock you just cut it out of.

And your cardstock has one big blocky butterfly shaped hole in it.

Now, you can put repositionable adhesive on the back of your butterfly and sponge OVER it (which is what a mask is). But you will be left with sort of a reverse image-- where your butterfly was, the cardstock will show through, and the ink will be around it. (The reverse image of if you had a stencil.)

For the same reason, it would be hard to print an image and cut it out and have a stencil as the end result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

What is actual name off the plastic? Can you take picture of it? Dose it comes in different sized?

Quote:

I got some stencil plastic in the stencil section either at acmoore, Walmart, or Michaels. I think you could cut dies with it. Then it would be a real stencil. It would last forever, or as long as plastic stencils last. Its just a sheet of the plastic with nothing cut on it. Its for making your own stencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love bright colors on this card and the lovely flowers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
My favorite way to use stencils is for adding a little design onto my backgrounds, like I did on this card. I use either distress inks or Stampin Up inks with an ink applicator tool or sponge. I've also used modeling paste but mainly on mixed media projects and I don't do those very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

What is actual name off the plastic? Can you take picture of it? Dose it comes in different sized?
Try are just blank stencil sheets. I found mine hanging with all the other stencils. Its the same material but just a full sheet blank so you can cut it to whatever you want. I believe you can get it at Michaels, Joann's, and even office supply stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

okay... thanks you...

Quote:

Try are just blank stencil sheets. I found mine hanging with all the other stencils. Its the same material but just a full sheet blank so you can cut it to whatever you want. I believe you can get it at Michaels, Joann's, and even office supply stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I make stencils using dies on the plastic lids that come on the raw spinach we buy in the store. We have a spinach smoothie every morning, so I have a bunch of this stuff and have begun giving it away. Makes great stencils that are thin, but will last forever.
Reply With Quote Likes