Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stampin up's precision base plate

Hello! Ok, so I absolutely love the Stampin Up Botanical Blooms stamp set and the matching framelits from about a year ago. However, the largest flower is a pain in the neck to get out of the framelit. I use my piercing tool and always get tiny holes in the edges of the flower. One of the smaller flowers also is more intricate and hard also. I was wondering if this is something that the precision base plate would be helpful with. I have not purchased that plate because I didn't want to put out the $25.00 for it. I have the die brush which probably helps a little. I am using an electronic Big Shot now because I was having problems with my right hand with so many repetitions with the manual Big Shot.

My question is will the base plate solve my problems and is there any problem using it with an electronic Big Shot? I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I don't have anyone to ask and you are all so helpful! Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I feel like I say this every day - I need to take out online ads - LOL!

You do not need ANY special plates for intricate cuts. You need to follow this sandwich and they will all cut perfectly.

1. Normal platform
  2. Clean, NEVER used new plate.
  3. Die, cutting side UP (tape to your paper if necessary)
  4. Paper
  5. Grungy, cut up bent plate - make sure it's a mountain, not a valley.
This keeps the DIE from flexing - only the top plate flexes. Perfect cuts every time. Works great with any machine. Never cut into that bottom plate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've not tried Lydias system yet, but will next time I need to. I will repeat information I've seen regarding the Sizzix Precision Base plate, and I'm assuming the SU one is the same. Over time, the base plate WILL damage dies- You have the die facing down onto it, and it is a very solid surface, so I guess it will make the cutting edge duller, so any poor cut problems will be made even worse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I put the Precision Plate on top and have the die cut into a regular plate on the bottom. It works very well that way, and the dies don't become damaged over time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I feel like I say this every day - I need to take out online ads - LOL!

You do not need ANY special plates for intricate cuts. You need to follow this sandwich and they will all cut perfectly.

1. Normal platform
  2. Clean, NEVER used new plate.
  3. Die, cutting side UP (tape to your paper if necessary)
  4. Paper
  5. Grungy, cut up bent plate - make sure it's a mountain, not a valley.
This keeps the DIE from flexing - only the top plate flexes. Perfect cuts every time. Works great with any machine. Never cut into that bottom plate.
Yes! I followed this advice and I get a great cut every time! Sometimes I go through the big shot a couple times to be sure but it works. The biggest tip to add is the foam and die brush to get the bits out if needed. I use it a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Cardmaker2: What do you mean "add the foam?"
OP, you might also try putting waxed paper between your die and cardstock to help it release from the die.
I'm going to try Lydia's formula. I do have the metal base plate and use it only for intricate dies, With waxed paper. I made the mistake of using it with an open die and it bent it seriously...I should say smashed it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Cardmaker2: What do you mean "add the foam?"
OP, you might also try putting waxed paper between your die and cardstock to help it release from the die.
I'm going to try Lydia's formula. I do have the metal base plate and use it only for intricate dies, With waxed paper. I made the mistake of using it with an open die and it bent it seriously...I should say smashed it.
Stampinup sells a foam pad and brush that you use to get the tiny bits out of the intricate dies. You take the die with the cut out cardstock piece still in it. Lie it paper side down on the foam and roll th brush briskly over back and forth to get the tiny bits out of the die cut. Then take the die cut out of the die and brush the bits into the garbage.

I'm not near my catalog right now to give you the particulars but it is around 12.00 if I remember right. You may be able to improvise with something els but I figured it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttembyView Post
Hello! Ok, so I absolutely love the Stampin Up Botanical Blooms stamp set and the matching framelits from about a year ago. However, the largest flower is a pain in the neck to get out of the framelit. I use my piercing tool and always get tiny holes in the edges of the flower. One of the smaller flowers also is more intricate and hard also. I was wondering if this is something that the precision base plate would be helpful with. I have not purchased that plate because I didn't want to put out the $25.00 for it. I have the die brush which probably helps a little. I am using an electronic Big Shot now because I was having problems with my right hand with so many repetitions with the manual Big Shot.

My question is will the base plate solve my problems and is there any problem using it with an electronic Big Shot? I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I don't have anyone to ask and you are all so helpful! Thanks in advance!
It sounds like you'really not having problems getting a good cut, the problem is getting the paper out of the die later. Couture Creations makes a product called Quick Release Die Paper and the stuff is amazing. When I use it, most of my cuts pretty much fall out of the die. I have one die that it was impossible to get the paper out without tearing. The cut piece doesn't just fall out with the die paper, but I am able to remove what I've cut without mangling it. It isn't terribly expensive, and worth every penny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

I agree, the Couture Creations is fantastic. I can't believe how easy it is to do intricate dies now. No precision plate needed. I buy mine from here. Shipping is free, no minimum, even to Hawaii.

https://www.tupelodesignsllc.com/pro...ease-die-paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Waxed paper works well too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2017, 05:17 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
I agree, the Couture Creations is fantastic. I can't believe how easy it is to do intricate dies now. No precision plate needed. I buy mine from here. Shipping is free, no minimum, even to Hawaii.

https://www.tupelodesignsllc.com/pro...ease-die-paper
I also use this product and like how it works. I will say that I don't use a lot of super intricate dies though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used Lydia's tips for die-cutting in my April stamp club and it worked great. We die-cut the So Detailed flourish with no problem. I had used the Sizzix adhesive sheets on the back of a piece of whisper white so the ladies would not have to fiddle with glue. It die-cut easily in one pass. All the pieces just fell out. I also tried a piece of copper foil with the adhesive sheet on the back and die-cut the daisy oval image from the Timeless Tags and that also cut easily with only one pass. Thanks for the awesome tip, Lydia!

One thing I have done in the past (when a die-cut gets stuck in the die) is to run the die only on a dryer sheet - unscented. That has always helped for about 5-7 cuts to help the die fall out easier. Then I just run the die on the dryer sheet again for easier release.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have discovered (by accident) that if you run paper with Xyron on it (or sticker paper) you can pull the plastic lining off (sometimes the plastic lining just comes off) and then it sticks to your hand and pulls out of the die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for the suggestions. Appreciate your time and trouble. Everyone have a great day!
Reply With Quote Likes