Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enjoy your hobby rant

Be more kind to yourself.
What is wrong with so many of us? I read post after post of crafters lamenting their efforts did not get the reaction they hoped for, they spent too much on supplies, a card did not turn out well enough and on and on.
It is a hobby. Hobbies are to be enjoyed-- not judged in any way. It is a hobby; not a life comittment.
Spend as little or as much money and time as your life style affords and enjoy and live in the moment. People -you create kindness for others but deny it for yourselves.
Please enjoy your hobby and again, be more kind to yourself. Create for the sake of creating and make that the value.
Rant over.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

YES. Not really a rant - it's great advice. Find joy in creating. Sweet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So true and it isn't really a rant although I understand your thoughts behind it. And even agree! But it is an observation that we need to lighten up and enjoy the ride. Thank you for the reminder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

How about the other card maker next to you at a stamp class who tells you "that
isnt the right way to make it-----you have to follow the example."
Really? Talk about a stamp class crusher! You ruined my moment!
Was having joy and piece making my project.
(And had a demo once who went around and gave the same directions and watched
how things were made. If I am using the exact supplies you gave everyone else
and opt to alter it slightly, what difference does it make?).
This is why I don't attend classes. Lots of bossy bossy bossy.

I agree! Enjoy the moment! Seek joy and peace in your creations and worry
less about what others think or how they craft. You own the moment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
If I am using the exact supplies you gave everyone else
and opt to alter it slightly, what difference does it make?).
This is why I don't attend classes.
I agree! Enjoy the moment! Seek joy and peace in your creations and worry
less about what others think or how they craft. You own the moment!
That's sad - I teach twice a month and I LOVE what my cardmakers teach me. I love it when they don't make "my" card. YOU BE YOU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2017, 04:17 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny you should post this as yesterday a new journal page was running thru my head:

Pure Joy!
How long since I've allowed myself to experience it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you! I really needed to read this. I tend to overthink every project which sometimes leaves me with no time to finish or even get started!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Once a card leaves my home, I pretty much forget about it - other than maybe saying a silent prayer that it actually arrives at its destination! I had all the fun and joy of making it. I am a very slow cardmaker because I spend alot of time choosing an image & matching papers/cardstock and embellishments but really enjoy that side of creating plus it takes my mind off medical issues relating to my immediate family including myself. I rarely hear anything from anyone that they received my card but it doesn't bother me anymore. I don't care if they pull stuff off it to make another card, throw it at the TV, compost it or set fire to it.

One time, I was at a relative's home and they had bought a new wall unit and brought me over to it to have a look. Lo and behold, they had devoted one shelf to all my handmade cards! I had always assumed my cards were tossed once the occasion was over. One time, another relative posted a photo of my card on their Facebook page saying "my sister made this - isn't it amazing?!"

I guess my point is that you should never assume that someone isn't grateful or thankful for your handmade card - people forget to say thanks or time passes and they think it's too late to say thanks. Plus they have no idea of the amount of time & effort you put into your creation because they don't make cards. You just never know that one day your friend will tell you that they have saved every card that you ever made for them or that when they received your card in the mail, it was a bright spot in their day because their Dad had just been diagnosed with cancer.

I love this hobby for the friendships I have made and the extraordinary kindness and support I have had through many trials and heartache particularly since 2012. I feel blessed to have cardmaking friends from many parts of the world and I know how much I loved looking at all the beautiful cards in the Splitcoaststampers gallery when I was living at hospital helping to care for a loved one for almost all of 2012 & was only able to make a few cards that entire year. It helped me still feel connected to the outside world because I felt so alone & isolated & scared every day that my loved one wasn't going to make it & I felt (and still feel) so grateful for this community. I think if I stopped sending cards because people didn't thank me, I would probably only send 1 or 2 cards out a year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My job is stressful so my craft area is my refuge and my de-stressing place. Sometimes I create and make a mess and toss it in the trash, but I still had joy in the creating. I do the card ministry for my church. A friend and I make the cards and I send out all the birthday cards and another friend sends out the other cards needed. It's great for me because it gives me many reasons to make cards...and it's been cleaning out my stash for over a year now!

She's right, just enjoy. If you don't like it, toss it. But I never worry if someone will like my card - it's more about the fact that I remembered them than it is about what the card looks like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah636View Post
My job is stressful so my craft area is my refuge and my de-stressing place. Sometimes I create and make a mess and toss it in the trash, but I still had joy in the creating. I do the card ministry for my church. A friend and I make the cards and I send out all the birthday cards and another friend sends out the other cards needed. It's great for me because it gives me many reasons to make cards...and it's been cleaning out my stash for over a year now!

She's right, just enjoy. If you don't like it, toss it. But I never worry if someone will like my card - it's more about the fact that I remembered them than it is about what the card looks like.
Nicely said! I so agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2017, 05:34 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I was at a class at a local stamp/scrapbooking store the other day and we were all praised for the way we changed up the cards (or covered up our smears).

Didn't know if some of my family really liked my cards or what until my daughter-in-law pulled out a box of all the cards I sent over the past 12 + years. Made my heart glad to know they appreciated them. Did have a good laugh over some of them I made way back when. My abilities have grown.

I do it because I love making cards and try to make the cards specific to the recipient. Don't really care what they do with them after but I enjoyed making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I agree.

Approach it like a 4 y/o with fingerpaints. Splash around color. Get dirty. Laugh a lot. (you can laugh when you are alone-it is allowed) Dont over think it.

I always find a radio with music that makes me happy works. It automatically lifts my spirits. Sing along. Who cares if you cant sing? You are alone in your room. Kids hum to themselves all the time.

Make for yourself. Stick the best one on the fridge. Smile everyday with your coffee.

Otherwise you are spending good money to torture yourself ...I can do that all by myself without spending a dime, or wasting many hours watching teaching vids, cleaning up the room, etc.

Something isnt making you happy- stop doing it! Dont send out cards if it upsets you. Lightning isnt going to strike. Re-focus and send them where they WILL be appreciated. Lots of groups out there collect for all kinds of good causes.

My DH is not playing golf to solve world problems...he...likes...it. Period. Sometimes he is with friends and other times he isnt. I take my cue from that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Even good things - like being super inspired by a fellow crafter's idea, for example - can unknowingly end up putting pressure on us. We might feel tempted to start a new blog series, get into making Youtube videos or start making a dozen cards for each and every minor holiday... It starts out as motivated fun, but it can get overwhelming and end up causing all kinds of negative feelings that make the hobby into a monotonous chore.

Give yourself the permission to pursue all those things that make you feel fired up and motivated. But also, give yourself permission to drop them when they no longer give you joy. You might think "oh, no, I'm going to seem so flaky!" and that you'll disappoint others (your family/blog readers/YT subscribers, etc), but you'll disappoint them far more if you end up producing no content because you burned out.

With creativity, the journey matters far more than the destination.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get too upset about the praise ( or lack of praise) that I receive about my cards. If I give them to someone in person I can enjoy their reaction. If I send it in the mail - meh - sometimes I get feed back, sometimes I don't. BUT!!!! my sewing projects - - - that's a whole different story!!
I have made art quilts to be hung and displayed, costumes, curtains, sleep wear, blouses, entire sets of bedding, shower curtains, seasonal pot holders and table runners and fitted slip covers for cars. I've sewn everything imaginable for different people at different times. And after all of that time, effort and material if I don't feel it is appreciated - that will be the LAST time I sew for them. period. no exceptions.
I also have a firm rule - " NO, I will NOT hem your skirt, sew on your button, or patch your ripped jeans". Just no.

Sewing and paper crafting are both hobbies I enjoy. But honestly, I never really know if my cards are kept or tossed out at some point. But by God, if I have made curtains for you - I better see them hanging in your stupid kitchen!

Done ranting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
I don't get too upset about the praise ( or lack of praise) that I receive about my cards. If I give them to someone in person I can enjoy their reaction. If I send it in the mail - meh - sometimes I get feed back, sometimes I don't. BUT!!!! my sewing projects - - - that's a whole different story!!
I have made art quilts to be hung and displayed, costumes, curtains, sleep wear, blouses, entire sets of bedding, shower curtains, seasonal pot holders and table runners and fitted slip covers for cars. I've sewn everything imaginable for different people at different times. And after all of that time, effort and material if I don't feel it is appreciated - that will be the LAST time I sew for them. period. no exceptions.
I also have a firm rule - " NO, I will NOT hem your skirt, sew on your button, or patch your ripped jeans". Just no.

Sewing and paper crafting are both hobbies I enjoy. But honestly, I never really know if my cards are kept or tossed out at some point. But by God, if I have made curtains for you - I better see them hanging in your stupid kitchen!

Done ranting.
Haha I feel a bit that way about my buns!! I am a good baker. An award winning bun baker. And butter tarts. And a few other things. And you better suitably appreciate them

Seriously I do love to do it but yes appreciation is -ahem- appreciated
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Well....I have to put my 2 cents in!! I LOVE making cards. I LOVE my craft room. I LOVE SCS and the friends I've made here! I seldom sweat over a card. For what its worth.....cardmaking for me is nothing but pure joy.
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I was surprised when I visited my sister in Michigan and saw one of my cards on her counter, but when she pulled a scrapbook with every card I ever made her, was thrilled!! My nephew here in Vegas told me mine are the only cards he saves! Do I try extra hard to send them the best cards I make?? You bet!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen WeberView Post
I was surprised when I visited my sister in Michigan and saw one of my cards on her counter, but when she pulled a scrapbook with every card I ever made her, was thrilled!! My nephew here in Vegas told me mine are the only cards he saves! Do I try extra hard to send them the best cards I make?? You bet!!
I agree! Those are the only "pressure cards!" Lol. I have a few people who make the same comments. They get the A+++ cards! Ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I consider my cards to be "a paper visit" with the person for whom the card is being created. My most frequently used stamp happens to be: Thinking of you...works for nearly every card. I have a brother who never calls me, never writes, never visits. I choose to send birthday cards, holiday cards, etc...never expecting anything in return, just with the thought that keeping in touch is the right thing to do. I recently heard from another brother...and found out that brother #1 has saved every card or tag I've mailed his way, proudly displaying them on his fridge or on shelves. My knees about buckled!! My cards are always dimensional, so I buy bubble padded envelopes in bulk via ebay. I am definitely going to continue supporting my local post office!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post

Done ranting.
I can relate to so much of what you say. I also love to sew, and have made many, many things for family, and some for friends who've been so appreciative of my handmade items. Sewing requires more of an investment of both money and time than my cardmaking, so I consider the recipient carefully before I make something.

And like you, I say NO to requests to hem up pants, sew up rips, sew buttons, etc. My sewing is a creative outlet, and stuff like that is not fun. Heck, I don't even like to hem my OWN pants.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
Be more kind to yourself.
What is wrong with so many of us? I read post after post of crafters lamenting their efforts did not get the reaction they hoped for, they spent too much on supplies, a card did not turn out well enough and on and on.
It is a hobby. Hobbies are to be enjoyed-- not judged in any way. It is a hobby; not a life comittment.
Spend as little or as much money and time as your life style affords and enjoy and live in the moment. People -you create kindness for others but deny it for yourselves.
Please enjoy your hobby and again, be more kind to yourself. Create for the sake of creating and make that the value.
Rant over.
I love this post. My stamping friend and I are both nuts when it comes to our stamping (and shopping for stamping goodies) and sometimes we both feel guilty (that we aren't stamping enough to justify our goodies). But we always remind each other it's about having FUN! And that if not for our stamping addictions, we'd just be on Prozac.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Hmmmmm ... I must have missed the 'rant'!
It's just plain old skipping along the sidewalks of joy in creativity! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I love to stamp, learn new techniques and create cards to give away. I try to send the best I can do to everyone, regardless of what might happen to them. I know some are kept and some are thrown out soon after they arrive, but I have had the joy of seeing what I can make. It is simply the vehicle for my good wishes, and if that is all that remains, then I am satisfied. I've gotten what I need from creating and sending the card and that is enough
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 05:26 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I confess that when I first saw this thread, I misread it - not as "Enjoy Your Hobby" rant, but as Enjoy Your "Hobby Rant." Did I have a hobby rant to enjoy? I didn't. Maybe I needed one. Uh oh.

Then I read the thread, and of course I got it. But it made me feel discouraged, which is my own fault and also a familiar feeling. That's because I always operate on some level as if everyone else in the crafting world walks into their studio, and within moments knows exactly what they are going to make and how it's going to look. Or at least they have a pretty good idea. And I almost always take days to make a project. I work very slowly, and rarely know where I'm going to end up. I love to do challenges, but when I was doing them regularly every week, I often found them very stressful. I wanted to complete them in a day or two (like everyone else), and that usually made me feel like I was under a lot of pressure. After all, I have all the time in the world, I'm retired, I should be able to make a card in an afternoon. It got to the point where I gave up and stopped making cards for periods of time, convinced that I just wasn't suited to it. I wasn't a "natural" or else why would it take me so long? I don't have a lot of people I send cards to, so there was always a sufficient overflow to cover those fallow periods. I would stop for months. Then something would draw me back in. The images, the paper, the colors, the pondering and arranging and rearranging. This community.

So reading this thread made me revisit these feelings. To look at my creative anxiety, as it's called nowadays. I'm coming off a fallow period, and everything still feels fragile. I still don't have lots of people to send cards to. And I still work very slowly. But I had a moment recently - a few days after reading through this thread - where I thought that the only person who was making the word "slowly" into a pejorative was me. Could I reframe this? Maybe I work "meditatively". I actually like the process of trying someone, looking at it, and walking away for a while until the next step occurs to me. It doesn't actually bother me, if I'm truthful, that I take days to finish something. My negative feelings have always come from thinking it's wrong to do so, or signifies something lacking.

And I also realized that I function in all of my creative pursuits in exactly the same way: slowly. I don't produce anything without lots of downtime, pondering, and experimenting. Eureka moment.

So here's my "Enjoy Your Hobby" rant to myself: Be yourself. Or, rather, accept yourself. This is who you are, period, full stop. (There's little chance you are going to turn into someone else at this late stage.)

Thanks for posting this. I've now had my hobby rant. And enjoyed it. ;)!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-07-2017 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I confess that when I first saw this thread, I misread it - not as "Enjoy Your Hobby" rant, but as Enjoy Your "Hobby Rant." Did I have a hobby rant to enjoy? I didn't. Maybe I needed one. Uh oh.

Then I read the thread, and of course I got it. But it made me feel a discouraged, which is my own fault and also a familiar feeling. That's because I always operate on some level as if everyone else in the crafting world walks into their studio, and within moments knows exactly what they are going to make and how it's going to look. Or at least they have a pretty good idea. And I almost always take days to make a project. I work very slowly, and rarely know where I'm going to end up. I love to do challenges, but when I was doing them regularly every week, I often found them very stressful. I wanted to complete them in a day or two (like everyone else), and that usually made me feel like I was under a lot of pressure. After all, I have all the time in the world, I'm retired, I should be able to make a card in an afternoon. It got to the point where I gave up and stopped making cards for periods of time, convinced that I just wasn't suited to it. I wasn't a "natural" or else why would it take me so long? I don't have a lot of people I send cards to, so there was always a sufficient overflow to cover those fallow periods. I would stop for months. Then something would draw me back in. The images, the paper, the colors, the pondering and arranging and rearranging. This community.

So reading this thread made me revisit these feelings. To look at my creative anxiety, as it's called nowadays. I'm coming off a fallow period, and everything still feels fragile. I still don't have lots of people to send cards to. And I still work very slowly. But I had a moment recently - a few days after reading through this thread - where I thought that the only person who was making the word "slowly" into a pejorative was me. Could I reframe this? Maybe I work "meditatively". I actually like the process of trying someone, looking at it, and walking away for a while until the next step occurs to me. It doesn't actually bother me, if I'm truthful, that I take days to finish something. My negative feelings have always come from thinking it's wrong to do so, or signifies something lacking.

And I also realized that I function in all of my creative pursuits in exactly the same way: slowly. I don't produce anything without lots of downtime, pondering, and experimenting. Eureka moment.

So here's my "Enjoy Your Hobby" rant to myself: Be yourself. Or, rather, accept yourself. This is who you are, period, full stop. (There's little chance you are going to turn into someone else at this late stage.)

Thanks for posting this. I've now had my hobby rant. And enjoyed it. ;)!
Robin, I SO relate to what you've said here! I haven't been creating regularly for MONTHS - just a card here and there when I needed one for something specific.

I used to do many of the challenges, and post regularly to my blog and all the rest of it, but I could feel a lot of negativity coming into what was supposed to be joyful. I gave myself some time to mull that over while I did some purging and organizing (both activities are contemplative and somewhat Zen for me, lol).

The long and short of it is this: I have decided that my best option at this point is to eliminate anything that feels even remotely like "pressure". I posted last week that I'll be taking my blog down by mid-month - no time, energy, or inclination to force myself to produce content, and it's a paid platform, so I'll be saving a few bucks a month - AND I'll be saving myself the guilt of not posting on anything like a regular basis.

I still look at the challenges every day but, more often than not, I can feel resistance - sort of like "don't tell ME what to do!" - so I only do the ones that really inspire me, and only when I feel like it. This, of course, means that there will likely be fewer comments, since I won't be posting in any kind of timely manner. I've never been about that, anyway, so I don't care. I view them as "prompts" more than "challenges" - that takes the (imaginary) pressure off...

The most freeing thing I've ever heard or read is Lydia's (UnderstandBlue) concept of "creating for the trash". If I just go into it MY way, doing MY thing and not giving a thought to outcome or "worthiness" or time frame or anything else, then I have given myself permission to be happy in the process, regardless of outcome.

Like wavejumper said - we don't do this to solve world problems, we do it because we LIKE it! If/when it ceases to be fun, we should cease doing it. In my own instance, I am moving away from cards and towards ATCs and tags and mini albums, because they are SO much more fun for me!

So, yeah, I guess that was a mini-rant, too, but I needed to voice all of that to remind myself of The True Thing for me, so thanks, estamps for starting this thread, to Lydia for permission, and thanks to the rest of you for your comments and for reading mine...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 05:57 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Rachel rose,
I think the OP was talking of just this thing. Do whatever it takes to enjoy your hobby. Now that you know how you enjoy your hobby and know you do not have to stress that you may enjoy it differently, you can enjoy it freely and whenever. I loved reading your post and seeing the process unfold in your words. Enjoy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

gregzgirl,
I have long wondered how people kept up with their blogs as they seemed so time consuming. They highlighted many cards as well, so I thought I must be very inept. I spent many hours a day in my craft room (I'm retired) and made and sent out lots of cards each month, but could not figure out how I would take care of a blog with the pictures, narratives and videos. Many said I should have a gallery here. I have my own gallery on my computer, mostly for reference, and that even seems like a chore sometimes. I just couldn't see myself doing a decent job of that either. So I came to the conclusion I would do my thing, share when I could and take on only those things that sparked my enthusiasm rather than doused it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I think having a gallery here is a great thing. I've never had a blog (at least not for crafting), and my gallery is my record of my work. Once I send out the card, it's all I have to remind me what I've done and how I did it. I actually enjoy writing up my descriptions.

But here's the other thing: You can subscribe to a gallery. I subscribe to the gallery of a very small group of people who I've come to think of an my SCS pals. They subscribe to mine. That way, I can be sure that anything I upload will get at least a few comments and not just disappear into the ether. I've learned not to live for comments, and always tell people who feel badly that if they want to be assured of many comments, challenges are the way to go, but gallery subscriptions are a very lovely way to keep updated on what your SCS friends are doing.

Jeanne, maybe you should think of starting a gallery here.

And Sue - I've already subscribed to yours so that IF and WHEN you do post something, you can be sure you'll get a some hoorays from me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Rachelrose, even a gallery on SCS would feel like one of those pressure things. I have my personal record gallery which I use as a reference for sizes and colors, but also as a record of who the card was sent to. Many of my stamping friends what to know the process or colors I used on a card they received from me, so that's how I can find it quickly and respond. I also teach a technique class every month (which brigs me more joy) and then I can gather some sample ideas for the class. Not sure having a gallery here wouldn't be a pressure I would regret. I'm the kind of person that puts her all into everything and hates to quit, so am careful about what I start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I hear you. I hesitate to start anything that feels like it would put pressure on me. Having a gallery doesn't for me, but there a plenty of things I've got on the back burner for when I think I'm ready to commit. It sounds like you know yourself well and have things set up so that they work for you. Creative process is so very personal. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I hear you. I hesitate to start anything that feels like it would put pressure on me. Having a gallery doesn't for me, but there a plenty of things I've got on the back burner for when I think I'm ready to commit. It sounds like you know yourself well and have things set up so that they work for you. Creative process is so very personal. ;)!
I admire your outlook. Enjoy your crafting journey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #32  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Rachelrose, even a gallery on SCS would feel like one of those pressure things. I have my personal record gallery which I use as a reference for sizes and colors, but also as a record of who the card was sent to. Many of my stamping friends what to know the process or colors I used on a card they received from me, so that's how I can find it quickly and respond. I also teach a technique class every month (which brigs me more joy) and then I can gather some sample ideas for the class. Not sure having a gallery here wouldn't be a pressure I would regret. I'm the kind of person that puts her all into everything and hates to quit, so am careful about what I start.
Everyone is unique in how they approach paper crafting. Crafting should be a pleasure and relaxing. You do not need to put pressure on yourself. Have fun and when you get to the place where you can post to a gallery, go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a thought on the gallery thing: it should NEVER be something that feels like pressure! I have a couple of cards that I've made (for Easter and just because) that I haven't uploaded yet because I haven't felt like it. I may or may not get around to it. I've never felt the same pressure to upload to my gallery here that I have with regard to my blog. Some people that I admire are active on their blog, but haven't posted to the gallery here for a while, and vice versa. Whatever blows your hair back...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Just a thought on the gallery thing: it should NEVER be something that feels like pressure! I have a couple of cards that I've made (for Easter and just because) that I haven't uploaded yet because I haven't felt like it. I may or may not get around to it. I've never felt the same pressure to upload to my gallery here that I have with regard to my blog. Some people that I admire are active on their blog, but haven't posted to the gallery here for a while, and vice versa. Whatever blows your hair back...
That gave me a good laugh!!! The problem with posting to a gallery or not, if one doesn't feel like it, doesn't work for me. I know it doesn't make sense, but I could not let it go. If I had a gallery, I would feel compelled to put every card there right away. I know that is not required, but it's the way I'm built. That, with having trouble telling people "no", has made my life busy, so at least I've learned to say "no" to myself. Now to say it to others now and then---after all, I'm 70 years old, it's about time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
That gave me a good laugh!!! The problem with posting to a gallery or not, if one doesn't feel like it, doesn't work for me. I know it doesn't make sense, but I could not let it go. If I had a gallery, I would feel compelled to put every card there right away. I know that is not required, but it's the way I'm built. That, with having trouble telling people "no", has made my life busy, so at least I've learned to say "no" to myself. Now to say it to others now and then---after all, I'm 70 years old, it's about time!
I hear you, Jeanne. I just turned 75 and it's taken me years and years to learn to say "no". I had a wise therapist years ago who told me, "You only have "X" amount of emotional energy. Be careful where you use it. You don't have to be all things to all people."

I learned to say: "I really wish I could....(hem your pants, take care of your kids, feed your dog while you're gone, etc. fill in the blank) but I just can't do it." It felt really stressful at first, but got much easier as I said it more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, Bugga. I really needed that (slaps self upside the head).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

"No" is a very valuable word, used appropriately... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

"No" is a very valuable word, used appropriately... ;)
Love it, Sue!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

While most of my stamping efforts turn into cards, I bought a spiral bound book of watercolor paper to play with. There are times I just stamp and water because I like to. I decided that if whatever I play with doesn't turn into "something," that's o.k. And it's o.k. to buy a stamp (or a set) because I think it's pretty. I don't have to stamp with it. Art is meant to be enjoyed. Interpret "enjoyed" how you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I hear you, Jeanne. I just turned 75 and it's taken me years and years to learn to say "no". I had a wise therapist years ago who told me, "You only have "X" amount of emotional energy. Be careful where you use it. You don't have to be all things to all people."

I learned to say: "I really wish I could....(hem your pants, take care of your kids, feed your dog while you're gone, etc. fill in the blank) but I just can't do it." It felt really stressful at first, but got much easier as I said it more.
Beautiful post in so many ways. Thank you.

A wise therapist told a friend of mine "not all things need your reply." I like this one too. Just when someone is looking to get your goat, you walk away (too much energy wasted replying).
Yes, not everything needs a reply. Disengage yourself from the conversation.
Reply With Quote Likes