Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My die is sticking to my C plate.

Hi,

I have a mini trifold (envelope) die, that I got just a few weeks ago. I LOVE it! It makes the cutest little envelopes. It's the Waffle Flower Mini Tri-Fold Notes.

For some reason, this die literally gets stuck into my C plate, when I use it. I know I'm using it correctly, so I'm not sure why it's doing this.

Can anyone please offer some suggestions? I don't have this issue with any of my other dies, just this one. It sticks so badly, all the surrounding paper literally tears off and the die with the paper inside, is stuck to the C plate!!

I have used both of these sandwich combinations and it sticks horribly! These same combinations work flawlessly with all my other dies.

A plate
C plate
paper
die (ridge side down)
B plate

A plate
C plate
die (ridge side up)
paper
B plate

Thank you so much for any suggestions or advice. I really do appreciate it.

Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

GREAT NEWS! I thought I'd try two pieces of pattern paper, hoping that it would keep the die from sticking to the C plate. As it turns out, the die not only did not stick at all, but cut two mini envelopes, and cut them beautifully!!!

My problem that seemed really frustrating, turned into a great thing. I can cut double the envelopes now. :-)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

One thing I find is foolproof is a never-used plate on bottom, die, cutting side UP, grungy plate on top. This keeps the die from flexing, which is what causes poor cutting or sticking - you don't need shims or anything. Just tape your dies to your cardstock to keep them in place when flipping them onto their backs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I do not cut into the C plate. (Cuttlebug doesn't even send C plates with its machines anymore.) My sandwich is A, B, paper, die cutting down, C on top. (This also works out better if you're stamping then cutting, or if you are trying for multiple cuts from one sheet of paper-- you can see where you're placing the die.)

B plates are easier to find, and you get 2 per pack, which is why I cut into those-- easier to replace once cut up. They seem to still work fine if I use an embossing folder between them, no matter how cut up they are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2017, 05:36 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for your comments & suggestions, UnderstandBlue and SkyNacho. Those are some really interesting names! :-)

My B plates are beat and scratched all up. My C plate is in great shape. I ended up cutting about 14 of those little envelopes last night and it sure went fast, doing 2 at once!

I did not know about the other sandwich combination and I'm glad you told me, SkyNacho.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Lamborghini Gal, congrats on your discover - such a cute die set!

I had learned about not cutting into the C plate (whether you cut die up or die down) here too, from Barbara Jay and Buggainok. (Thank you!)

Once in a blue moon I need to shim since machines vary, plates warp, etc. Two hints from a Cheery Lynn video: 1) don't shim across the entire die. Just shim on the area that isn't cutting well. Otherwise you're not changing anything. And 2) move your dies. Don't always put it them in the same spot.

A little OT, but a thin, flexible metal plate from Cheery Lynn has helped with the most intricate dies. And for the most intricate or fussy dies I use quick release paper from Tupelo so the bits don't stick in the die. I rarely have to use it so it lasts a long time, and Tupelo doesn't charge shipping. Some people use wax paper but others say it can cause a build-up so for under $6.00 I sprang for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cheery-Lynn-D.../dp/B00B8X7W4A

https://www.tupelodesignsllc.com/pro...ease-die-paper

** June 2018 ETA: According to members� posts, Tupelo orders have been delayed for long periods of time, emails sometimes not responded to, orders not sent or partially filled (that one for me too). They seem to be in trouble; sadly I no longer order from them.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-11-2018 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Bjeans!

Thanks for that advice. I have the metal shim from Cheery Lynn Designs and I love it. That thing works great!

My C plate doesn't seem to have anything sticking into it. It's the B plates, but it was only with those little envelope dies. But since I thought of layering 2 sheets, it works great now.

I've never heard of Tupelo. But I like the fact that they don't charge shipping! That is great. I've heard that wax paper is a no-no, too.

I'll check those links out. Thanks for sending them. :-)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes