Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #19
TLady
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
This blog post explains it better than I could:

I am Rushmore: Gelatin printing vs. the Gelli plate

Can you really remelt your home made one? If it's turned to a kind of plastic? How do you do it?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. A computer gliche' & our son wanted brownies! GOTTA HAVE CHOCOLATE, RIGHT? LOL

Yes, you can microwave the home made Gelli Plate & let it set up again & again! I was surprised to see that the lady on the site you linked says the home made gelli plate will break down, as what I heard, says it doesn't! I think it depends on what you make it out of. There are several different recipes out there.

Here is the one I used,
HOME MADE GELLI PLATE
7 packets of Gelatin, Knox
1/2 c. Glycerin
1 1/2 c. Boiling water
1 c. Alcohol
If you mix this up & it blobs up on your stirring utensil, just put it in the microwave. Don't breathe in the fumes. The alcohol can be kind of strong.

I used a microwaveable dish with a lid to make it in & to store it in. (My husband found me an Anchor Hocking dish that was smooth on the inside bottom of it, & mine is about 8" x 8".) That way there isn't a lot of pouring to make bubbles. Scrap off any bubbles after nuking it or pouring it your container.

If you damage the plate, you can re-nuke it on high in the microwave & let it reset.

You can leave the alcohol out & use Glycerin in it's place. BUT.....
*** For a more durable plate---add more alcohol & glycerin in the place of liquid.

To clean: Wipe with Hand Sanitzer & a paper towel when done.

HOPE THIS ENCOURAGES you to try to make your own! I REALLY enjoyed reading the site you linked to! THANK YOU Rachelrose!!!