Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Coloring Choice Overload

This is somewhat long�sorry!

In my quest to purge myoverload of supplies, I�ve decided to review my watercoloring products. I thinkI have too many options without even considering my markers. The products I usefor watercoloring are Peerless Papers, Distress Rinses, Brusho, Bister, andKeda powders, Ken Oliver Liquid Metallics, Zig watercolor brushes, andtwinkling H2Os for a total of 269 color options! Yowza!!!

I�ve gone through theprocess of making a color chart that compares all colors and I have so manyduplicates. I find that even though it�s easy to use multiple types of colors Itend to use only one at a time. If I�m using the Peerless papers I won�t reachfor Distress Rinses to look for a color I�ll just do without. I promise myselfI�ll do better but I just don�t. Therefore, I thought if I put all the colorsin one storage place, I�ll use them all. I bought 2 watercoloring pans thatwill hold a total of 96 colors. If this works I�ll buy another pan so I need toget rid of 129 options.

Now I�m trying to figureout what to keep and I thought I�d ask for opinions to find where my thinkingis faulty before I load the pans. BTW I plan to use a wet paintbrush or aquabrush to pick up the color.

Distress Rinses � I alreadyhave them in a palette and I like using them in addition to having the sponge bottles.When you put them in a pallet, they eventually get really thick and arewonderful to paint with so I�ll put themin the pans.
  • H2Os � I�m thinking of popping them out of their jars and put them in the pans. Do you see a problem with this?
  • Peerless � cut a small piece of the paper and put in the pan. Do you see a problem with this?
  • Zig Brushes � out of the set of 48 there are only 6 colors that are not a duplicate. I think I should get rid of them since I don�t really like them. Does that make sense?
  • Ken Oliver Liquid Metallics � put in the pans
  • Powders (Bister, Brusho, and Keda) � I�m testing them in a palette but not sure it�s going to work but I don�t use them because I make a colossal mess (we won�t discuss my carpet fiasco). I�m thinking that if they are in the sealed pans I won�t make such a mess. I like the effect but since I never use them should I even keep them?
  • Gelatos � I plan to cut a chunk of gelato and mix with water. I�ll keep them handy because I love them for mixed media but I forget to use them for watercoloring. I think they will harden back up � will they?
I can usually make thesekind of decisions but I keep thinking I�m missing some oh-no factor and beforeI do all the work I�m hoping you all can see a major flaw in my plan. Also, thepans will not be for travelling only for use at my desk.

Ifyou got this far � thanks for reading as I just can�t decide�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pans are the size I think they are, they're too small for even the smaller Twinkling H2Os. Like, half the size. I'm not sure how you're going to get the twinklings into the pans.

I'm also not sure that the pans seal up tight enough to prevent your powders from mixing.

Good luck. I like organizing but it's sooo time consuming and I can never find my perfect options!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
This is somewhat long�sorry!

In my quest to purge myoverload of supplies, I�ve decided to review my watercoloring products. I thinkI have too many options without even considering my markers. The products I usefor watercoloring are Peerless Papers, Distress Rinses, Brusho, Bister, andKeda powders, Ken Oliver Liquid Metallics, Zig watercolor brushes, andtwinkling H2Os for a total of 269 color options! Yowza!!!

I�ve gone through theprocess of making a color chart that compares all colors and I have so manyduplicates. I find that even though it�s easy to use multiple types of colors Itend to use only one at a time. If I�m using the Peerless papers I won�t reachfor Distress Rinses to look for a color I�ll just do without. I promise myselfI�ll do better but I just don�t. Therefore, I thought if I put all the colorsin one storage place, I�ll use them all. I bought 2 watercoloring pans thatwill hold a total of 96 colors. If this works I�ll buy another pan so I need toget rid of 129 options.

Now I�m trying to figureout what to keep and I thought I�d ask for opinions to find where my thinkingis faulty before I load the pans. BTW I plan to use a wet paintbrush or aquabrush to pick up the color.

Distress Rinses � I alreadyhave them in a palette and I like using them in addition to having the sponge bottles.When you put them in a pallet, they eventually get really thick and arewonderful to paint with so I�ll put themin the pans.
  • H2Os � I�m thinking of popping them out of their jars and put them in the pans. Do you see a problem with this?
  • Peerless � cut a small piece of the paper and put in the pan. Do you see a problem with this?
  • Zig Brushes � out of the set of 48 there are only 6 colors that are not a duplicate. I think I should get rid of them since I don�t really like them. Does that make sense?
  • Ken Oliver Liquid Metallics � put in the pans
  • Powders (Bister, Brusho, and Keda) � I�m testing them in a palette but not sure it�s going to work but I don�t use them because I make a colossal mess (we won�t discuss my carpet fiasco). I�m thinking that if they are in the sealed pans I won�t make such a mess. I like the effect but since I never use them should I even keep them?
  • Gelatos � I plan to cut a chunk of gelato and mix with water. I�ll keep them handy because I love them for mixed media but I forget to use them for watercoloring. I think they will harden back up � will they?
I can usually make thesekind of decisions but I keep thinking I�m missing some oh-no factor and beforeI do all the work I�m hoping you all can see a major flaw in my plan. Also, thepans will not be for travelling only for use at my desk.

Ifyou got this far � thanks for reading as I just can�t decide�

I don't know most of these products, but I believe you've already answered two of your questions! Your comments "I don't really like them" and "I never use them" --- those are key statements to listen to when you're purging.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see why it's a problem that you only use one coloring medium at a time. It's what I do most of the time, unless there's a specific color I must have for some part of something...

I'm not sure that trying to store all these very different forms of color mediums in one way (on a palette) is going to be workable.

I agree with Renee. Purge stuff you don't love and don't use. I find too many choices inhibits my creativity rather than enhancing it. ;)!

PS: What's a Distress Rinse? I thought I knew every Distress product out there, but I've never heard of this.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 04-03-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Keep what you reach for first and/or most often and let everything else go - problem solved...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Keep what you reach for first and/or most often and let everything else go - problem solved...
Well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Just wanted to come back to say that - when I get my Peerless watercolors - I'm going to do like I've seen others do and make a "portable palette" with small squares of each color, then store the rest of the papers until I need to swap out a used-up square. Here's what I'm talking about: In Touch: Peerless Watercolors (Scroll down just a bit...) That might make more sense for your purposes than putting them in a pan...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2017, 02:25 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am so in the dark.....I have tubes of watercolor paints from college that I keep in a zip loc baggie and a dish towel that is rolled up with my brushes. I squirt out a tab of color on a plate and use that to paint. Occasionally I use my aqua painter with my Distress ink pads.

I would love to try Zig Clean catch markers but they are soooooo pricey.....if you are selling please let me know.

Good luck.....but I ageee with keep what you love and use!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2017, 05:26 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post

PS: What's a Distress Rinse? I thought I knew every Distress product out there, but I've never heard of this.

I'm guessing you mean stains rather than rinses.

I wondered that too Rachelrose!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

When it comes to Distress, you can pretty much use any of the various iterations to color. I rarely do, though. I use my Distress pads for techniques mostly.

I've gone through the "Oh no, what coloring medium should I use?" thing. I'm limited in that I can't use any kind of alcohol markers, so Copics and the like are out. I currently have Zigs, watercolor pencils, Inktense pencils, Distress markers and a small watercolor set. Honestly, if I could only have one of them, it would be that little watercolor set. I use it more than anything else. It just suits my style and ability.

But I've bought and sold lots of other color mediums along the way.

You've got to be honest about what you really love to use. It took me a long time to get over the fact that I couldn't use Copics. I really thought that unless I could use them, I'd always be a second rate card maker. Writing that now, I see how silly it is! Second rate to who? Really, you can make yourself crazy with your own thoughts.

I reread your original post, stamphappy. It sounds a bit like you are overthinking and maybe even worrying to me. You don't own so many different mediums. But when you talk about it in terms of colors - 269 - of course it's going to be overwhelming. If every time I sat down to color I felt I had to consider every single thing I owned that could produce a distinct color and I'd go mad and run out of my studio!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it would be helpful to think of your different mediums as ingredients. You don't use every ingredient in your kitchen everytime you make a meal, you decide which ingredients to use based on your recipe, or what you feel like eating, or maybe even what is the quickest to make.

I think, that just like in cooking, it is nice to have a variety of ingredients/materials to make our art with. It would be boring to eat the same thing all the time and for me it wouldn't be as exciting to use the same art materials all the time either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by teresanohView Post
Maybe it would be helpful to think of your different mediums as ingredients. You don't use every ingredient in your kitchen everytime you make a meal, you decide which ingredients to use based on your recipe, or what you feel like eating, or maybe even what is the quickest to make.
Great analogy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I quickly read the above comments, the Peerless Papers are for traveling, so that would omit that item for you since you don't want to use them that way. The gelato's, I don't think will go solid after watering down. They're kind of light in pigment when using them for water coloring anyway & are a mixed media item. Which you like, so I would keep those! And the Brusho's are an item used for a specific technique, so I wouldn't get rid of those, unless you don't really care for that technique. I agree with teresanoh said, about viewing them as ingredients in a recipe! THAT WORKS FOR ME! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I, too, love the analogy of the kitchen and cooking. I don't know how many color possibilities are in my craft room, and I'm not sure I want to know. I just have fun with whatever I'm using at the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Wow - all great comments. I love the kitchen analogy and the overthinking (I'm always doing it, can't stop even though I've tried LOL).

The issue came to me when I realized that I felt I was missing out on color choices because I usually just pull out one product and it never crosses my mind to look at another product for a better color choice.

I think, that just like in cooking, it is nice to have a variety of ingredients/materials to make our art with. It would be boring to eat the same thing all the time and for me it wouldn't be as exciting to use the same art materials all the time either.
This really speaks to me because I like a wide variety of "ingredients/products" and I tend to get stuck in a rut. I'll use the Peerless Papers for quite awhile and then realize I need to use something else because I have a rule of "use it or loose it" and I don't want to have to purge because of my promise to myself.

Well the pans should be here in about a week (shipping time was horribly slow) and I'll come back and read these comments before I do anything and I'll try not to fry more brain cells over thinking.

Thank you all :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I understand purging, but many times people just buy to have what others have, the newest, the latest.... Then later, you purge & you've really just lost money! I think the big thing is to gain control over your "need" to have what the Jone's have & keep what you have, you already spent the $$$! Myself, the budget doesn't allow to spend on what ever new is out there! I also like what stamphappy1650 has to say, it IS NICE to have a variety so as not to get bored! ;) When you do go to buy, think it through THOROUGHLY!!!! ;) Give it TIME! I find I don't want what I thought I wanted after awhile & can pass things by easily. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I understand purging, but many times people just buy to have what others have, the newest, the latest.... Then later, you purge & you've really just lost money! I think the big thing is to gain control over your "need" to have what the Jone's have & keep what you have, you already spent the $$$! Myself, the budget doesn't allow to spend on what ever new is out there! I also like what stamphappy1650 has to say, it IS NICE to have a variety so as not to get bored! ;) When you do go to buy, think it through THOROUGHLY!!!! ;) Give it TIME! I find I don't want what I thought I wanted after awhile & can pass things by easily. ;)
This is very sensible. But there's also a journey that you make as a crafter, where things that once served you no longer do. And there are some things that you need to try in order to know if they are for you. With coloring mediums, that's especially true. You can read about them and watch videos and ask questions here on the forum, but it's not like having the product in hand and really getting a feel for how you like it. So I allow myself a certain amount of leeway, and don't beat myself up too much if I try something and then decide it isn't for me.

I thought Zigs were going to be THE thing for me! And I bought my watercolors as an afterthought, never thinking I could ever like them as much. The reverse turned out to be true. My Zigs are fine, but I like my watercolors better. You never know. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

" I really thought that unless I could use them, I'd always be a second rate card maker. Writing that now, I see how silly it is! Second rate to who? Really, you can make yourself crazy with your own thoughts." Wow, I wish I'd read that statement years ago, probably still need to be reminded of it now. Altho, don't know if it would've had the same effect it's having now. Thanks RachelRose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 02:16 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

What a great thread! The kitchen gadgets comment says it all! I think it's all about what makes you feel good. I did purge my kitchen gadgets when we downsized, but have managed to add back a whole different assortment of new ones, sous verdi and chamber vacuum equipment are recent examples! Luckily I'm totally out of counter space, so I avoid even looking in the kitchen department!

Color is a horrible weakness for me, I've multiple assortments of pans, tubes, pencils, crayons, powders, sticks, liquids, pads, paper squares (Peerless), and duplicates of the same mediums from different manufacturers. We're not talking cheap either, we're talking professional products here. I'm not even counting in the cheaper stuff, it's pitiful really. I just can't even think of parting with any of them. I'm addicted, color makes me happy!!! Seriously I truly believe the root of my addiction is depression. I use color as management where others use meds. Logically thinking about the topic, my form of self treatment is costly and evidently isn't working for me! Seriously even just looking at my swatch book or my color products makes me feel good. I couldn't even decide what to get rid of. I know I'd miss, use it or not, whatever I choose. Anyway that's my addiction self analysis.

Although I'm seriously considering making a doctor's appointment right now I'm off to make more swatches

Edited to add:
After thinking about my post I do have to add for those who may think I'm making light of depression, I'm being totally serious and honest here. Deep in my heart I know my depression is at the root of my supply spending, and I'm going to seek professional help. I do need to get a handle on this!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 04-07-2017 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Anne - I resonated with what you wrote. It took me a long time to see that I have often tried to "shop" myself - buying things I find beautiful - into feeling more creative when my periods of low creativity were really tied to other issues.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 04-07-2017 at 04:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Heart You are worth MORE THAN YOU KNOW!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
What a great thread! The kitchen gadgets comment says it all! I think it's all about what makes you feel good. I did purge my kitchen gadgets when we downsized, but have managed to add back a whole different assortment of new ones, sous verdi and chamber vacuum equipment are recent examples! Luckily I'm totally out of counter space, so I avoid even looking in the kitchen department!

Color is a horrible weakness for me, I've multiple assortments of pans, tubes, pencils, crayons, powders, sticks, liquids, pads, paper squares (Peerless), and duplicates of the same mediums from different manufacturers. We're not talking cheap either, we're talking professional products here. I'm not even counting in the cheaper stuff, it's pitiful really. I just can't even think of parting with any of them. I'm addicted, color makes me happy!!! Seriously I truly believe the root of my addiction is depression. I use color as management where others use meds. Logically thinking about the topic, my form of self treatment is costly and evidently isn't working for me! Seriously even just looking at my swatch book or my color products makes me feel good. I couldn't even decide what to get rid of. I know I'd miss, use it or not, whatever I choose. Anyway that's my addiction self analysis.

Although I'm seriously considering making a doctor's appointment right now I'm off to make more swatches

Edited to add:
After thinking about my post I do have to add for those who may think I'm making light of depression, I'm being totally serious and honest here. Deep in my heart I know my depression is at the root of my supply spending, and I'm going to seek professional help. I do need to get a handle on this!
I think if we were all honest, we all have had times of spending that were to make us feel better about ourselves! I too used to shop!!!!! It all comes down to finding out your worth, & realizing YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN YOU KNOW!!! I WISH I could give you a GREAT BIG HUG!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 06:36 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
It all comes down to finding out your worth, & realizing YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN YOU KNOW!!! !
I know that I love colours, I know they make me feel happy and I love to see them, and I also know that I shop at times to compensate for my mood or stuff that is going in my life, and colourful things give me an instant hit, almost like a drug.

I went to an amazing exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in December 2016 and my colour spirit was lifted to heights I can't explain, but these pictures might!

These pieces are from the Chihuly Glass exhibit. If anyone would like to see more I can post them
https://www.rom.on.ca/en/chihuly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I know that I love colours, I know they make me feel happy and I love to see them, and I also know that I shop at times to compensate for my mood or stuff that is going in my life, and colourful things give me an instant hit, almost like a drug.

I went to an amazing exhibition at the Royal Ontario Museum in December 2016 and my colour spirit was lifted to heights I can't explain, but these pictures might!

These pieces are from the Chihuly Glass exhibit. If anyone would like to see more I can post them
https://www.rom.on.ca/en/chihuly

DO POST!!!! These are BEAUTIFUL! I think that one gets a good feeling from color, BECAUSE you ARE an "artist!" I have to create a beautiful space for me to be happy. I feel down when the house is a mess. (That doesn't mean I am a meticulous cleaner either! LOL) It is like a vicious cycle, but one has to find out that even with the mess around, there is something bigger than ourselves at work. We are made the way we are FOR A PURPOSE! God, & I know some don't like to here God spoke of, but we ARE MADE TO CREATE, each in his own way, like our creator! Because we are made in His image, AND we are VALUABLE to HIM!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just want to say "YES" to this thread! Not the dress...the thread of this post!

Color definitely calms me, but it took these posts to make me realize that (after all these years). Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Hi again - I wanted to share the results of my storage dilemma. I bought 4 of the watercolor boxes (reds/pink/purple, orange/yellow, blues/greens, and brown/black/gold/silver). So far it's working great for a home storage system. What I did to store the different watercolor types in the little pans:

H20's - I added a lot of water to the H20 pots, let it soak for a few hours and scooped out the goo into the pans. The H20 has dried back and works just like the pots. No dilution of color.

Brusho/Bister: In the small pan I mixed 3 drops of Gum Arabic and some water with the powders. The powder has dried but the Gum Arabic is holding the crystals together so they don't blow around. The richness of the colors is amazing.

Distress Rinses: Poured the liquid to the pans and after about 4 days they thicken into a light syrup. I've been using them in a pallet like this for over a year and I love the richness of the colors. The rinses will never completely dry in the pans so I have to store the boxes on a flat surface.

Peerless Papers: I kept the same method of storing swatches on a paper palette and just taped it to the box. I cut a piece of Duralar as a protector from the rest of the colors.

I made a color chart and covered it with a piece of acetate.

I'm so happy that this is working so far. The only thing I don't like about the boxes is that it's hard to lift inside cover piece so I cut a piece of polka dot cloth tape and made a little handle. Ahhh...feels so much better to be able to have the colors in one place.

Thanks for your advice. :p
Attached Thumbnails
Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-box-closed.jpg   Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-boxes-all.jpg   Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-box-peerless.jpg   Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-box-h20s.jpg   Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-boxdistress-stains.jpg  

Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-box-powders.jpg   Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-box-color-chart.jpg   Coloring Choice Overload-watercolor-box-tab.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow you've been busy! Glad to hear you've found a solution that works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

You HAVE BEEN BUSY, stamphappy1650! LOL SUPER JOB!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Going back to Julie's post about Chihuly glass, I was fortunate to visit the Chihuly museum in Seattle a couple of years ago. I had never heard of him before, but it was well worth the time and money! It is an indoor/outdoor museum. There are glass sculptures in the gardens. Truly incredible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

This is certainly a very personalized solution! I'm glad to hear you have solved your dilemma.
Reply With Quote Likes