Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart NEW :) just joined. I have questions! Please check thread

3 questions about stamps,

A) what is your most unique stamp/stamp set?
B) your most used?
C) what stamp(s) is/are your absolute favorite?

I started with scrapbooking (because I love photos) but recently, I have decided to really join the stamping world!!!

If anyone has any items up for sale- please comment below and reach out to me! Thank you ☺️
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi Shantel! Welcome to SCS (Splitcoaststampers)!
We're so glad to have you join our community.

I think your fun questions would e great posted in our General Stamping forum! To find it, just click the following colored link to our Stamping Stuff forum. Then click the General Stamping button you'll find listed within. ;)

Enjoy all the scrappy & stampy chats & info SCS has to offer!
~Bev

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-03-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hey Shantel!!! I moved your thread to General Stamping for you - even though you're new these are fun questions!

Let's see - for me - I have some pretty unique stamps - I'd say my Kodomo Zigen Tanabe stamps are my most unusual/rare.

Most used is probably Lovely as a tree.

FAVORITE? That's easy - all of them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now this minute, it IS subject to change, I love Janie's Girls and Julie Nutting's stamps. But the question you haven't asked that maybe needed is a MISTI. I had stamped but often not made a good enough impression. It made me walk away from stamping. Then I found MISTI. A perfect stamp .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A) This was a tough question! In general, I try to go for a combination of useful and unique when I'm shopping for stamps. So, a lot of my stash can qualify as different. But if I had to narrow it down, I think it would be Penny Black's Touch of Whimsy: Penny Black - touch of whimsy

B) Looking back at my card history, it would be Fanciful Feathers from WPlus9.

C) Like Lydia, it's all of them.

A while back, I had made a list of 5 must-have stamp sets a beginner should invest in when they're starting out, and I'll share it here:
- One general sentiments stamp. It should include things like "thank you" and "happy birthday", and it's even more useful if it includes other occasions or holidays.
- One classic floral stamp set. This is useful for any feminine card (birthday, congratulations, mothers' day) and could be used for sympathy cards in combination with soothing/neutral colors.
- One geometric stamp set. This could be used for both masculine cards (patterns with masculine colors) or for creating general backgrounds or even modern styled scenes. Ex triangles could become trees, circles turn into flowers, etc.
- One cute critter set. This could be used for baby cards or child birthdays/congrats.
- One stamp set that makes you happy. Everyone needs to have something they love - especially if it makes you feel inspired to create.

My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Welcome. I won't comment on my most unusual stamp because I have WAY to many stamps to even think about....sssshhh. ;) BUT...I am a scrapbooker and also make cards and other stuff but I have always incorporated stamping into my scrapbooking. I show a lot of examples on my blog. I basically use stamps in the place of stickers...I make my own embellishments with stamps and framelits! So don't think of them as one or the other....use stamping in both!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Most unique, some of my Just for Fun Stamptangle stamps. I don't have anything else like them.
Most used, over time, is a Hero Arts Everyday Sentiments (??) clear set. It is old, but they still sell them at Michaels. If I don't have another sentiment to use, I will go to that set to find one.
My absolute favorite is going to change day by day. Hero Arts Leafy Vines background stamp is one, Just for Fun Degas Fluffing the Tutu is another, I also have some GORGEOUS flowers from Gina K and I Brake for Stamps. If it were Christmastime, I am sure I would have a different favorite.

Don't go by what I like though! Everyone has their own style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinshantelView Post
If anyone has any items up for sale- please comment below and reach out to me! Thank you ☺️
You might want to take a look at the BST (buy, sell, trade) section of the forum. I'll link it here for you in case you don't spot it when scrolling down the forum home page. Folk offer all kinds of stamps from all kinds of manufacturers there - you'll almost certainly find things you "need"!

For your questions:

1. I'm not sure what counts as unusual!

2. Probably a Hero Arts sentiment set called Say It All that is, I think, retired which is a shame as it's a great all-rounder.

3. Tough to choose just one but if absolutely forced I'd choose Antique Engravings by Hero Arts assuming we can have a set rather than a single stamp! It's fantastically versatile - masculine, feminine, solo or mixed with other sets. I've just gone looking so I could point you at it and am very sad to see it's also retired :-(

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Shantel, I will say for starters that this is a great time to be a stamper- so many stamps out there, and so many good quality acrylic(clear) stamp sets at fantastic prices. Back when I started it was almost entirely wood mount stamps, and each one, especially sentiments, was a big investment.
So, I will echo the others and say get yourself a set of sentiments, try and find one you like that has a good basic selection in.
Hard to really answer the questions, as one persons unusual is anothers really cool!
However, one of my favourite companies, from the UK but now being stocked in stores in the US is Visible Image. I think many of their stamps would be classed as unusual. They ship worldwide, but an email would get a list of US stores now selling them, if they are your thing.
My favourite is probably the most recent one I used,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome to SCS!

I'm not into very unusual...but depending on how you define that...some people might say Steampunk and collage stamps fall into that category. Visible Images is a great co to look at...you could also try 100 Proof Press and Alpha Stamps. There are more too.

I dont have a most used.

Favorite....most of my stamps resonate with me-aka they make happy when I see them. So no favorite either.

I agree about good sentiment collections-which will partly depend on your preferred fonts. Some are block prints, some script, some combos, some large heavy thick script (popular now). many companies have big general sets. Look under their sentiment sections, filter by set if you can.

You have good things going for you having done scrapbooking. You know what colors you like, and while larger you understand layouts.

What I always tell new people is to make a wishlist in excel. Then surf the hundreds of companies and see what you really like/want and what you dont. If a company looks just *amazing* to you soup to nuts, get on their mailing list so you get sales offers. If you just like a couple of stamps, into the wishlist.

This wishlist can include anything. Dies, inks, embossing folders, embossing powders, etc etc.

There are a LOT of great blogs to watch to learn. Every company has sample cards and most have tutorials. I call You Tube YTU. I have never not been able to find tons of tutorials on any product or technique there. Names you may often see here...Jennifer McQuire, our own Lydia (understand blue), Kristina Werner, The Frugal crafter (she does all kinds of crafts), Sandy Allnock, The Daily Marker....it just goes on and on.

We have a big tutorial section here too! SCS really is one stop shopping so to speak! A very supportive environment too.

You are walking through the door into a huge, fabulous world that you will have fun with forever!

Golden rule: There are NO dumb questions-feel free to ask whatever you want/need See you around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you Lydia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Southgirl, I have seen many videos about the Misti! I love the idea. I will get one soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Check out Tim Holtz's new product similar to the Misti. A definite must for anyone who stamps. I am using the Misti now waiting for the delivery of Tim's one. They are both worth the cost....makes stamping so easy and no more mistakes!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi stampinshanel! Welcome to SCS! You'll LOVE IT here! ;) You will learn so much & hear the latest in the stamping world from these lovely ladies! I have!

To your questions:
1.) The most unusual? That would be the stamp I have coming in the mail! LOL It is Concord & 9th's TRIANGLE TURNAABOUT CLEAN STAMP that is to be used with the Misti.
You can find out more on this link:
https://concordand9th.com/blogs/blog...misti-blog-hop
It is the most unique stamp I've seen & it is sure to be a hit in the stamping world, but who am I right? LOL Check out the video they have.....! You'll see what I mean! ;)
2.) The most used stamp? That would be those little stamps I have to stamp the BACK of my cards, telling WHO the card was made by! LOL I use the same set, & even pick the same stamp out of the set to use on every card. Every so often, I try one of the others. LOL (It is an old SU set.)
3.) Absolute all time favorite? I love them ALL! LOL It depends on my mood & what I want to play with. Anymore, my favorites fall in the clear stamps area! ;) They're easier to use especially with THE MISTI! (YES, GET A MISTI as southgirl mentioned! ;)

I hope you will be VERY HAPPY here! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

TLady,
I agree, that is the most unusual stamp I have ever seen. My most unusual stamp set really isn't a stamp set. I have two stamps that I picked up somewhere that look like Asian or maybe Egyptian writing, but aren't (I don't think). They are about 1 1/2" square wood mounted rubber. I use them so very rarely, but for some reason every time I look at them they make me smile. I usually use them more as design stamps. I don't know what the stamps say, so I hope I haven't offended anyone.
My most used stamp is my signature stamp one of my teachers had made for me---hand stamped by, using my actual signature, so one stamp does it all!
My absolute favorite is also much used. It is the small texture dots stamp from the old SU set called Itty Bitty Backgrounds. I use it so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

jeanne3579, I'm wondering if they could be Judikins stamps, maybe removed from the cubes? They do a lot of stamps like that, and usually there are 4 on a cube shaped wooden block. I have one that has stamps very much like you describe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Don't think that is the case for these. They both came mounted on a wood block separately. I might have even gotten them from the $ bin at Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

A) Most unique: I'd have to say this one Smile

B) and C) : My most used is whatever my favorite set at the time is. Currently it's Stampin Up's "Beautiful You". Other past favorites have been SU Roses In Winter and other flower sets.
Reply With Quote Likes