Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of 1 design?

Do you typically make multiples of a design, or do you make one-of-a-kind cards? I get overwhelmed by multiple designs and started wondering what others do.

TIA
Lisa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

The only time I make more than one of anything is if I'm making gifts (like sets or something). I get bored way too easily with repetition...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I often make four of one design since I do the get wells and sympathy cards for a large organization. I have found I have to do them assembly line style or I run out of gas. If I completely finish one at a time I am less likely to start all over for the succeeding ones. Sometimes I will just make the top layer and mount them onto the card layer later on. I have a box of "fronts" that I can finish as needed. I have to keep good records so I don't send the same card to the same person. I have to do multiples because I only have so many supplies and so many ideas. If I don't have cards ready when I get a request it starts to feel like a job instead of a hobby. I think it's a personality thing. Some people would find my way of doing this boring and unspontaneous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 357 Likes on 197 Posts

When I make a card, if I like the colors or image then I will may make a couple more while I have the supplies out on the table. I just be careful and not send the same card to the same person twice! lol Christmas cards - I will make several of the same design because I know they will be mailed out all at once. I don't make cards daily or even weekly so when I make cards I like to complete several so I have some stock.

I, too, make them in an assembly line fashion as it goes faster. The cards I make are for my own use and not to sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 08:07 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

All my card except my Christmas ones are unique one offs as I make with a specific person in mind. At Christmas I will make 4 or 5 different designs and send them to the masses (lol I come from a large Irish family) and then I make two special ones, one for DH and one for SIL/Best friend.

I have the attention span of a gnat so I have to force myself due to time restrictions to do the standard designs at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I also like the idea of making the cards with a specific person in mind. If I know the person well in my club I will personalize it toward their style or interest. I do that with my family cards also. If I get feedback from a person that they liked their card I try harder the next time I send them another. Just human nature I guess. I never buy a stamp style that I really don't like. Even for children's cards the style has to be appealing to me or I tend not to use the set. If they don't like balloons, bunnies, safari animals, or sea creatures the kids are out of luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually make multiples of cards, 4 or sometimes 8 at a time. I make card fronts and attach them to bases, so that uses one or two pieces of cardstock. I do them assembly line fashion, stamp and color all the images, make all the layers and embellishments, etc. I have all the pieces lined up and then get busy putting them all together.

I'm one of those sorts that finds repetition appealing and relaxing and not boring. (I also crochet, and make afghans, where you crochet the same pattern in a row, over and over.)

I keep a typed list of names and addresses, and make a little note of which card I send to who, so I hopefully won't repeat myself too much.

I do make special, one-of-a-kind cards for all of my grandkids, and use a theme of whatever they are currently interested in at the time. You know how kids are - they can change on a dime and love something one day and hate it the next. I can't plan too far ahead on these cards in case they change their minds!

For Christmas and other holidays, I usually make and send about 40 cards to family and friends, all the same design. If I were buying a boxed set, they would all be the same, so that seems reasonable to me.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I find that ice cream money inside the card helps the kids like the card better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I make one-off cards only. But often when I make a card I'll end up with a few versions of the focal point, or a few versions of the BG, so there might be several cards in a row that have some similar element.

Sometimes when I go to make a card and feel really blank and clueless, I'll tell myself to CASE myself. But once I've done something, I don't want to do it again. The thrill is gone. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #10  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
The only time I make more than one of anything is if I'm making gifts (like sets or something). I get bored way too easily with repetition...

I'm with you! The majority of my cards are one-of-a-kind. It's more fun that way. I'm not in the card-making business. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

most I have done in one design is 100 for my wedding thank you notes. they were stupidly simple, though..shimmer cardstock and the words 'thank you' heat embossed in my wedding colors. nothing else.

recently I just did 50 thank you cards to give to all the people and organizations that donated goods for my brother's fund raiser( he recently died leaving no insurance and 2 kids behind) those were far more complicated as it involved a custom made stamp.

when i do little gift sets for donation to other fund raisers, I tend to keep it at like 10. usually 5 each of 2 coordinating designs.

Christmas cards I also like to do a lot of the same design since I tend to use a stamp set once, make my 75 cards and then get sick of it so sell it although one year I had a plan: 10 cards each month, so at the end I had 12 different designs.

I don't count the kits for a shoebox swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #12  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Most cards are one-off (even if a gift ... waaaay back when I bought cards I didn't buy boxes of the same design so I could select the one that best fit the recipient and reason for the card).

Exception is for Christmas where I "divide" my list and make several of different designs. One will be for my side of the family, another fof DH's side, one for friends, one for my co-workers and another for hubby's colleagues. Sometimes I make more than I need for one group, so they go in my stash. There's always someone to send a Christmas card to and the stash us empty before Christmas Eve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I tend to make several cards using the same stamp set and then put that away, usually not to use it again. Each card may be a little different but when I'm having fun with a stamp set I just keep going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to make each card different except for Christmas cards and then I would make 4 of each. I make and send lots of cards and I found that I had no time to try new techniques since I was spending all my time making one-of-a-kind cards. So I've started making 2-4 of each design and I've had time to try my watercolor pencils, Spectrum Noir markers and lots of my dies. I know I can't make more than 4 of each design - by then I'm starting to hate the design but I'm the same way with my counted cross stitch patterns - I only make the pattern once!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 04:49 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I make one of a kind, even when I try to do some the same there are little tweaks here and there. If I need multiples for swaps or to get lots done in a short time I can do up to 10 of the same one before I have to move on.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 05:53 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I make my cards one at a time, for that particular person. I've always done it that way and it works for me .

Unless its sympathy cards, and then I make about 10 of the same one just to have on hand.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Most are one card only made for a specific occasion. If I am just playing around and make something I REALLY like I might make a second one to keep for me.
Christmas is when I will make multiples but even then I can usually only make 4 or 5 before I get bored. The more complicated a card is to make the fewer multiples I will make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 06:48 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

gregzgurl The only time I make more than one of anything is if I'm making gifts (like sets or something). I get bored way too easily with repetition

Rnruns60
I tend to make several cards using the same stamp set and then put that away, usually not to use it again. Each card may be a little different but when I'm having fun with a stamp set I just keep going.
I'm a one and done like Sue and like Rnruns60 with using a new set. If it's for a swap then I'll make multiples of the same design or at Christmas I'll make 10 of the same design and then I move on. I really enjoy the design process unless I've lost my mojo and then designing is a major pain. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I'm like Bugga - I find repetition appealing and relaxing :p

I'm one of those odd people who just can't make one card at a time, each with a different design. I only make cards for my SCS swaps and then just add a few to the quantity needed and keep those extras for my own use. I make our Christmas cards every year - usually around 75 or so and they're all the same design.

The ying to my yang is my twin who likes to make each card different - no repetition for her :p We balance each other nicely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,377 Likes on 512 Posts

I go back and forth with this. If I am feeling super creative, I will make one card of a design. If I am low on mojo or pressed for time (but desperately wanting to stamp), I will make two of the same design. I do not keep track of who I send my cards to so it possible I have sent the same card to someone. However, I write a novel in my cards (when I was little and churning out stories week after week, I wanted to be an author when I grew up!) so I figure even if someone gets the same card twice, they will hopefully find what I wrote meaningful enough to overlook my forgetfulness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 217 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm with many of you who have posted in that one of a kind is the way I make cards. I will very occasionally make two alike at the same time, but I get bored so easily and like Lois said, once I've come up with a design, after that, the thrill is gone, lol! Then I'm off to try something else : )
Also, I really try to make my cards specifically for the people they are meant for, so mass producing doesn't work for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I usually make multiples of cards, 4 or sometimes 8 at a time. I make card fronts and attach them to bases, so that uses one or two pieces of cardstock. I do them assembly line fashion, stamp and color all the images, make all the layers and embellishments, etc. I have all the pieces lined up and then get busy putting them all together.

I'm one of those sorts that finds repetition appealing and relaxing and not boring. (I also crochet, and make afghans, where you crochet the same pattern in a row, over and over.)

I keep a typed list of names and addresses, and make a little note of which card I send to who, so I hopefully won't repeat myself too much.

I do make special, one-of-a-kind cards for all of my grandkids, and use a theme of whatever they are currently interested in at the time. You know how kids are - they can change on a dime and love something one day and hate it the next. I can't plan too far ahead on these cards in case they change their minds!

For Christmas and other holidays, I usually make and send about 40 cards to family and friends, all the same design. If I were buying a boxed set, they would all be the same, so that seems reasonable to me.
I get the soothing effect of repetition, Bugga - I also crochet and love it for that calming effect. I sometimes make multiples of cards that I send often - like sympathy cards. If I make one I really like, I make a few more while the supplies are out.

Usually my birthday cards are made with the recipient in mind and that's the only one of that card I make.

Save
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

For me, it's one of a kind. I think it's because I have to be in a mood to even start making my cards. I do make the fronts first though, and most likely have used a bunch of different stamps. Then I color them, one by one and then look through the fronts and pick out a couple to make complete cards.

Tonight I was coloring fronts for Easter and since I don't have a lot of Easter stamps I would finish one and go on to the next one, finding that I had 2 or 3 of the same in a row. Now, because I'm so weird, I have to go in order and not mix them up so I'd say, Oh no, not another one like that!!! And then laugh at myself. But I finished 10 card fronts tonight, so it was productive anyway.

Tomorrow I'll start putting them together, I had cut some paper to use a couple of days ago so it should go fast if I can decide what designs I want to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have made up to 40 if I really like the design. I support several places with donations of my cards for them to sell for profit. I just totally depends on the design and if I feel ambitious that day......lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2017, 02:59 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Almost always one of a kind unless it's holiday cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm usually a "one of a kind", but sometimes do variations of one I like. Last week I had the "dress up" dies out and made about 6 of similar design and color. I usually make them for a specific person so "one of a kind" works best. It can take days to make one card. . . LOL! Christmas cards are the exception where I make multiples of three or four designs, usually pressed for time so they need to be "easy" to make. . .CASEing works for me! I don't keep track of who I send what so when they comment on it I really have to think about what I sent them. . . Great question, love the thread!
PS I do like repetition, worked in a factory for a while and loved it. . . but when it comes to creativeness, one of a kind works best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

About once per month I made 21 cards for the nursery workers at our church, then I decided to send the same encouragement to my friends, so I added 5 more. These are all the same with the same message.
Birthday cards are one of a kind. I may find a layout I like, then do it in various colors and papers for several cards.
Christmas cards are all the same...it's just easier to keep track of year to year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 08:37 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me, I always make cards in multiples of 8 or 12. My rhyme or reason is if it's a card I like-love, it gets 8. And if I love-love it, it gets 12. LOL. I keep a few hundred cards on hand because I love giving away gift packs of 10 assorted cards to those around me. Especially new people I meet. I wrap them in cellophane bags, ruffle the edges, and tie them with a large brown grosgrain ribbon with white polka dots so it looks like a little gift. I make all my cards assembly line style - 100% of the time and I just fly through them. If I'm pressed for time, I will do everything except adhere them. I tuck all the pieces in a ziplock bag and glue them together once I am able to. Next to designing the card, the gluing part takes me the longest. Does adhering all the pieces take anyone else the longest? I've never made an all white card - or a card with a white base - but I want to so badly! I just can't seem to make it work. I have such a hard time with "open white space" on a card... although the ones I see are SO BEAUTIFUL!!! So my cards end up having lots of layers, but my oh my, do I admire the cards with the open space on the front of cards! I feel like there is a trick I am missing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I usually make multiples because I make cards for swaps with a few extras for me to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

If I really like the end result of the first card I make, then I make an extra for giving and 1 extra for me to keep. If I already know exactly what I am going to use/make then I make 4 right away - 1 for the purpose I am making it for, 1 for me to keep and 2 others to send later on if needed.
If it is a card I like but no ambition to make more than 2 then I only make 1 for the purpose and 1 for me to keep
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaMarie1View Post
If I really like the end result of the first card I make, then I make an extra for giving and 1 extra for me to keep. If I already know exactly what I am going to use/make then I make 4 right away - 1 for the purpose I am making it for, 1 for me to keep and 2 others to send later on if needed.
If it is a card I like but no ambition to make more than 2 then I only make 1 for the purpose and 1 for me to keep
Just curious...When you say "one to keep", what do you do with the ones you keep?

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input!

I did assembly line at Christmas, mostly 4-6 of 1 kind. I'm like the others who find relaxation in repetition...so I usually make multiples!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

I sometimes do the one to keep, at least for awhile. Sometimes I plan on making more so it's easier to look at the dimensions and details. I have one that took forever to line up the cut out alphabet front and get the popped up shading layer behind it right so I'll keep it for a sample until I make another. I change up colors and sentiments. They all get sent eventually. I'm in the multiples are relaxing camp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts

I admire those of you who are able to make just one of a particular card design. I think that I can count on one hand the cards that I've made that are not multiples. I find repetition extremely relaxing, and if I'm going to cut into a piece of patterned paper, I'm going to use up that whole piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of like the assembly line cards - I just made 8 of 1 kind for Easter. Once in a while I will make a few birthday cards the same but usually those are just made specifically for the recipient. Mostly assembly line are for holidays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #36  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstacy2010View Post
I admire those of you who are able to make just one of a particular card design. I think that I can count on one hand the cards that I've made that are not multiples. I find repetition extremely relaxing, and if I'm going to cut into a piece of patterned paper, I'm going to use up that whole piece of paper.
The entire piece of paper does get used but not always at the same time and rarely in the same design. I love that we all embrace a hobby that allows us to do it as we please ☺
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I make and sell cards "sarcastically affectionate" at two farmers markets starting in May. Last year I did 2000 cards so I do many, many multiples. It does get tiring sometimes but with my "squirrel" mentality I end up multi tasking and get a lot down each day.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2017, 03:29 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Lorri, define "sarcastically affectionate".

I make multiples of every card I make, usually 6-8 at a time. I send cards to friends, family, and people that others have asked for prayer for. So besides praying for them I also said them cards (it's one thing to say, "I'm praying for you" and another to send a card telling them; I don't preach, just tell them I'm praying). And I don't just send them one card; I continue to send them a card every couple of weeks. But that requires me to keep accurate records of the design, sentiment, and the "Chuckle For The Day" of each card. I have a cellophane bag for each recipient into which I keep a bunch of printed labels of their address, the list of the cards and the "Chuckle" with the date it was sent, and any cards or letters that I happen to get back from them. Most of these recipients I have never met. Most of them are very sick, hence the requests for prayer. There are several who have received more than 40 cards from me. One example is a man who was a terminally ill 4 years ago. His wife would occasionally send me a card thanking me and saying how much he appreciated and looked forward to getting my cards. He finally died, and because his wife had no family around, I continued to send her cards, and still do.

After the first card (which is serious and pretty and I explain who I am and why I'm sending him or her a card) all the following cards have some humor. Either the card is funny or there's a "Chuckle For The Day" inside. I love collecting funny one-liners: I went shopping the other day when I was hungry. I am now the proud owner of Asile 4.

All that said, I love repitition. I make a bunch of backgrounds; I cut, score, and fold a ton of white 110# card bases; I type, print, and cut the chuckles (16 per sheet), and file them in envelopes. Then making completed cards and picking out the chuckle isn't too bad. The addresses are done, I write down the card description with the date, add a short note, and mail!

So, Lorri, I'm always looking for more card humor!!!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually make at least 2 of a design as I have everything out and it takes less time to make 2 similar cards than 2 different ones.
I do make one-off cards as well, but not as often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

I make 4-6 of the same card at the most. I get bored easily especially if I have to color many images. But I sell my cards individually and therefore, it gives the buyer the choice to purchase one or all of a design.
Reply With Quote Likes