Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:18 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Retiring In Colors - What should I do?

When In Colors retire - do you tend to hold on to them or sell them when you are a demo? I just started to like the in color line with watermelon wonder / mint macaroon / tip top taupe / cucumber crush / Delightful Dijon. It took two years to grow on me, lol, but it's happened. Should I buy the ink pads/refills/cardstock now before they retire OR do you find a lot of demos sell them shortly after they retire since they aren't supposed to promote them anymore? I'd love to buy them all in a lot after they retire from a demo who wants to sell their used supplies and I can save money by buying them used. What do you think... buy it now new or hope that people sell it on SCS in a few months? - Catherine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I used to stock up on my favorite in colors, but people rarely show examples using those colors once they retire, because you can't purchase them anymore. I buy reinkers and empty ink spots of new in colors and if I have card stock, I just use it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always kept mine. If it's a color I particularly love, I do get an extra re-inker. Remember, too, that in years past Stampin' Up! has brought back some old In Colors as permanent members of their regular color families. I remember many demos were unhappy that they'd sold all of them only to some come back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 03:08 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I sell the retiring colors that I don't totally love as a lot, card stock, inks, refills and markers. Many demos do the same so you have a pretty good chance of getting what you need later. However, if you already have the ink pads, you should order the refills now as they seem to be the first to sell out at retirement time. Then you can get paper, markers and ribbons as you see them posted. JMO
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 03:57 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

In the past, SU did a good job of telling us to hold on to our in-Colors before they brought them back. They didn't give us a lot of details, just "you may want to hold on to these".

Like Kathy, I usually hold on to the ink pad and refill for colors i like and just use up the cardstock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #6  

For me: I keep any paper or ink I have until 1) I run out of cardstock- I might then sell my ink pads. 2) I might keep an ink pad until I run out of reinker 3) I wouldn't sell any cardstock or ink until I have used all the DSP that coordinates with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't understand....are you a demo? Or have a demo to buy from?
I say, if you like something, buy it while it's available. I never buy the ink pads, just the markers to use with the In-Colors. But you would know your method of stamping to know what you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

You know, it is really hard to guess sometimes. I found, like you, that it took a couple of years for things to grow on me. But I do like the retiring colors. Especially delightful dijon lately....It worked with some Christmas paper I used for 2016 from graphic 45. I bought some delightful dijon in a multi pack from the current catty recently It is not as much as what is in the 24 in a package and I am on the fence about buying more. I just recently started using some pistachio pudding which is before the current in color choices, and I kind of regret not buying more when it was available. Oh well.....So, I am now on the fence about mint macaron......

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
You know, it is really hard to guess sometimes. I found, like you, that it took a couple of years for things to grow on me. But I do like the retiring colors. Especially delightful dijon lately....It worked with some Christmas paper I used for 2016 from graphic 45. I bought some delightful dijon in a multi pack from the current catty recently It is not as much as what is in the 24 in a package and I am on the fence about buying more. I just recently started using some pistachio pudding which is before the current in color choices, and I kind of regret not buying more when it was available. Oh well.....So, I am now on the fence about mint macaron......

Shirl
Me too on the Pistachio Pudding. I regret not getting more. I love that green and hoard what I have left. I wish they would put it in the main colours.
If anyone has any they would sell and ship to Canada...?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for all the advice! I think I am going to take the plunge and buy it all new. I was the same way about the Pistachio Pudding line too! And now... Coastal Cabana, Crisp Cantaloupe, and Pistachio Pudding are some of my faves
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #11  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I keep all the retired colors stuff I have. Once it is used up, I can almost always find another SU color that is close. In fact, I reink inkpads of retired colors with current colors that are very close and just write the new name on the inkpad with a Sharpie. I am a bit "loose" with my craft supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2017, 05:08 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

FYI, this time of year the retiring in color stuff can sell out really fast so I'd order sooner rather than later. I hold onto all of my colors. Some may come back if they shake up the colors. Also, we aren't allowed to sell any current products until they are officially retired (not that people always follow the rules but I'm just stating them :-) so you should't see a lot of them for sale used, at least for another few months. I'm going to miss mint macaron a LOT!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post

Shirl
love mint macaron!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I keep all the retired colors stuff I have. Once it is used up, I can almost always find another SU color that is close. In fact, I reink inkpads of retired colors with current colors that are very close and just write the new name on the inkpad with a Sharpie. I am a bit "loose" with my craft supplies!
I like the way you craft! I am the same. I almost never get attached to the In Colors. I hope it doesn't sound disrespectful, but I almost never like any of them. Lol. Ok. It seems like I am the only person. Also, this "hurry up and buy before midnight tonight stuff" really drives me batty! No, I'm not going to hurry up and do anything, and if they run out, I have a color very similar that works as well. It works for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I like the way you craft! I am the same. I almost never get attached to the In Colors. I hope it doesn't sound disrespectful, but I almost never like any of them. Lol. Ok. It seems like I am the only person. Also, this "hurry up and buy before midnight tonight stuff" really drives me batty! No, I'm not going to hurry up and do anything, and if they run out, I have a color very similar that works as well. It works for me!

Joanne, thanks for posting. I find myself unsubscribing to stamp sites lately, as it is completely driving me batty as well. Thank you for saying that. Hurry, hurry, buy now---cannot stand it anymore.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 158 Likes on 137 Posts

Even though I'm mostly a hobby demo, I hold onto all my retiring in-colors in case some of them come back like they did before. I bought a separate Stamp-n-Storage pad holder to put just my retiring colors in so I can see them and use them if I want. There are a number of them that I love and would never part with.
Reply With Quote Likes