Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SU Whisper White vs Neenah Solar White Super Smooth

I am almost out of Whisper White, and SU takes so long to ship. I found some Neenah Solar White #80 Super Smooth on Amazon and am wondering if it is similar. I am not using it for coloring with Copics, just stamping.

Classic Crest Super Smooth Solar White 80# Cover

If this is not a similar paper, what would be?

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Robin, I can't compare the two papers, but Tupelo is selling Neenah Classic Crest Solar White (80 lb) reams for $31.50, and they don't charge shipping. I just bought a ream from them and have purchased from the before. Very nice people too. (I generally use 110 for bases, 80 for stamping.) https://www.tupelodesignsllc.com/pro...kg-solar-white

Last edited by bjeans; 03-18-2017 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Added Tupelo URL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I love Neenah paper. However, I hate the new SU whisper white. I think it is too slick. The old whisper white matched Neenah Avalanche White and that is what I used to buy until I learned that Solar white was available in the 110# version. However, I checked out the Neenah site a week ago and it looks like Avalanche may be available in the heavy version too. You can order samples from them; that may be your best bet to get an exact match and make sure you like the feel of Neenah.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by staceylovespaperView Post
I love Neenah paper. However, I hate the new SU whisper white. I think it is too slick. The old whisper white matched Neenah Avalanche White and that is what I used to buy until I learned that Solar white was available in the 110# version. However, I checked out the Neenah site a week ago and it looks like Avalanche may be available in the heavy version too. You can order samples from them; that may be your best bet to get an exact match and make sure you like the feel of Neenah.
Great point - and the sample sheets are quite large since they're for companies' commercial use - to have printers test papers for brochures, etc.

They'll also send you a swatch book so you can see/feel all of the colors/surfaces/weights, though of course the swatches are small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I didn't know SU had changed Whisper White. I am sure mine is the old version, because I haven't had to buy it in a long time. I'm really looking for a lighter weight, coated. Not a card base weight. All of your helpful answers have confused me. Do I want #80 or #110 pound? Do I want the Avalanche or the Solar? Help! ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

It's a matter of personal taste so the sample CS and swatch book will help. My sense is that many people use Neenah Classic Crest 110 for bases and 80 for the layer you're stamping and doing techniques on that you'd put on a heavier base, following card makers like Jennifer McGuire. Both stamp extremely well.

Solar White is mentioned more than other whites but if Avalanche White matches your SU color you like, you can look at both by getting the swatch book from Neenah.

Because the sample sheets are so large, they don't fit in a smalll box and there is shipping. But you get a lot of paper to play with. The swatch book is small and very handy for all colors; I don't know what the charge is to ship just that. The good news is it will most likely be obvious to you which you like best after you get that.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 03-18-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really like the Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80# for stamping It is a very smooth card stock but if you are looking for coated like SU Whisper White, I am not sure this one is coated. I ordered from Tupelo and received it quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all the comments. Still scratching my head. Guess I'll order something and see, or get the swatch book.

Or order Whisper White and just wait. I just found one more pack in a drawer so the situation is now less dire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

80 lb solar is of course lighter than 110-which is heavy and I use for base card stock.

If you would like to give me your address in PM, I will be happy to send you both solars-80 and 110 to compare while you still have some WW.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard SU's WW had changed. There has been mention that it isn't as smooth as it used to be. I love the smoothness of WW. I'm afraid to order a new pack. I think their envelopes changed too.

I loved Their smooth envelopes!! Just a little guilty pleasure!

I've been wanting to post a question about this and asking for any thoughts on alternative options for both products.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 03-22-2017 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I ordered some. So I can compare them. I also ordered a swatch book from Neenah, so I can compare those. I don't order much from SU, but WW and VV have always been part of my go-to stamping arsenal. If they've changed for the worse, I'll have to find a replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I'm new to copics...I've searched all of the Neenah threads.
I really want to buy a ream of paper, but which one.
I think Neenah makes solar white in smooth, super smooth, index, crest...maybe another one...I'll get the 80# for layering and the 110# for card base.
But which Neenah????
Help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 06:32 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterowlView Post
I'm new to copics...I've searched all of the Neenah threads.
I really want to buy a ream of paper, but which one.
I think Neenah makes solar white in smooth, super smooth, index, crest...maybe another one...I'll get the 80# for layering and the 110# for card base.
But which Neenah????
Help!!
Classic Crest. Exact Index is the lower quality the big box office supply stores sell.

If anyone ever forgets which Neenah to buy, you can just google Jennifer McGuire Neenah. One of her many videos where she uses it will pop up with a link to the correct type. Not that you have to use her link - sometimes other shops will have better deals, like Tupelo Designs, Amazon, etc.

Or if you want to try a small pack I think Ellen Hutson sells it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you so much
bjeans!!
I'm off to order me some paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I have the sample book for the Classic Crest line. Here's what I see in the different papers mentioned above.

Neenah Classic Crest comes in smooth and super smooth in these four colors:
...Avalanche White...Solar White...Avon Brilliant White...Classic Natural White.
The super smooth is definitely smoother than the smooth (the standard finish)...even though the smooth is pretty smooth! It doesn't feel as smooth or slick as the SU whisper white that I have on hand. I don't know if what I have is what you all say is "old" versus "new". However, it is pretty darn close!

None of the papers you are discussing are coated. Just finished VERY smooth.

I find that the SU paper is closer in color to the Solar White, or between Solar White and Avon. Avalanche White is about as bright as you can get at 99+. Solar White is 97. Avon is 93.

Classic Natural White is really close to SU very Vanilla.

For the quality and uniformity and the lack of guesswork, I would stay with the Classic Crest line, and avoid the other lines like Exact. It comes in Writing, Text, Cover, and Double Thick Cover. You want to stay with the cover range. Most of us use 80# cover and 110# or 100# cover.

The only other line I buy from is the Environment line, where they have a luscious "kraft" color called Desert Storm. The quality far exceeds any other "kraft" paper I have ever tried.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I just bought a package of Neenah Bright White 65 lb. cardstock at Fred Meyer's.....Anyone used that and can weigh in?....I have some Neenah Solar white, and it is perhaps not as white as that, but is it still alright to stamp on and color on?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 02:32 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Neenah makes a number of different lines of paper. The line that's mainly used and seen in videos for stamping is the Classic Crest line (80 and 110 lb.), which isn't sold in most (any?) big box retail stores. They tend to carry Exact Index, not known for super stamping.

But you can try it or use it for tests or maybe other projects, unless you haven't opened it and decide you want to return it?

(Pet peeve: some videos don't mention that Classic Crest is being used, though to be fair sometimes a link is shown below the video.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Beth, I have not opened it yet, so may return it if it is not so good to stamp on. It does not say Exact Index on it though so at this point I am not sure how to proceed.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Gee people keep saying we can get a full sampler of Neenah-sounded like it would be free but when I look they wanted to charge.

Anyone have a link for the free or did I mis-understand that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I know I'm throwing another variable in, but if you're thinking about making a switch, I recommend Gina K Pure Luxury card stock. There are two weights for white and ivory -- heavy base weight is glorious for card bases and single layer cards, and the layering weight is perfect for, well, layering. They are both very smooth and stamp beautifully. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 03:20 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

i have never bought WW. i have always bought from paper trey ink. why is it coated and how does that make it better? i started looking at neenah, but all the different whites and finishes mad my brain hurt. I bought a 110# pack from michaels. i have not used it for anything but bases, so i do not know how it colors. does neenah solor white take a bit of watercolor?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Gee people keep saying we can get a full sampler of Neenah-sounded like it would be free but when I look they wanted to charge.

No, you got it right. I ordered one, and between the cost of the sampler (which was only the Classic Crest line) and the shipping, it was almost $20.

Not really worth it. Would have been better off ordering samples of paper. Then at least I would have had pieces of paper I could use. Instead of a book of mostly things I'd never order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 03:51 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Don't forget Recollections from Michael's. Wonderful paper and readily available. And reasonably priced, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

Wave, I got the sample swatch booklet, which I like for color selection, and a number of sample sheets that I chose. The paper is large format since it's meant for print testing by companies that print brochures and such. So there was a shipping charge. I don't remember the cost for the long, flat (aka oversized) box. $11? $17?

Since it was the beginning of my stamping journey, and having never seen Neenah paper or colors, it was worth it for me. But if people have been stamping and trust the reviews and videos, maybe just buying a small pack of Neenah *Classic Crest* Solar White 80 (or 110) is the way to go?

Some shops like Ellen Hutson and SSS carry small packs. The cheapest ream I'd found was Tupelo Design and they don't charge shipping.

Just my take. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melolearyView Post
I know I'm throwing another variable in, but if you're thinking about making a switch, I recommend Gina K Pure Luxury card stock. There are two weights for white and ivory -- heavy base weight is glorious for card bases and single layer cards, and the layering weight is perfect for, well, layering. They are both very smooth and stamp beautifully. Just saying.

I have Gina K's layering and heavy and totally agree with you that it is wonderful!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I didn't think of Gina K! Thank you! I had completely forgotten she sells a layering weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks about the swatches Robin and Beth!

Now that I think about it-I never hear of anyone using anything from Neenah other than white, ivory, black and desert storm (kraft). They do have other colors. No one likes those?

I have the 80 and 110 lb classic crest I got on Amazon last black friday but Tupelo is a much better deal so thanks for that! That's going right into my resource chart!

Good to know about the more practical samples. Thanks

I just got in a small pack of Desert Storm from Ellen Hutson to try out. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I think I am supposed to compare it to the SU Crumb (which I also got the sampler packs)

I have been ordering sampler packs-I now have SU and Gina K and next will be PTI. I am a toucher-I want to feel it.

FYI-the Gina K packs dont include 2 colors-sand and a burgundy I wanted to see too! oh well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Almost all of my cardstock is PTI. I love most of their colors. There are three or four colors I get from Gina K, and I have been using SU's WW and VV for stamping. It's the WW and VV I am thinking of replacing with a Neenah by the ream. Even though I use a lot of watercolor paper, I still need a layering weight white and ivory for simple stamping with out coloring.

There are a lot of lines that Neenah has, and a lot of textures. I got one swatch book - the Classic Crest line only. There were more.
Reply With Quote Likes