Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Am I right to be disappointed?

I donated the set of cards, with matching envelopes, shown below and they were sold in a silent auction at our church. The set went for $9 which I found pretty disappointing. :(

But I'm wondering, did I have unrealistic expectations? I'm trying to decide whether it's even worth donating cards for sale purposes...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I think they are lovely cards and I can understand why you are disappointed. I think what you/we are up against is that
  • people are always looking for a bargain, even at a church auction
  • not everyone values hand-made enough

You did a beautiful thing for the church and I'm sure the Lord appreciates it

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
  • people are always looking for a bargain, even at a church auction
  • not everyone values hand-made enough
Those are good points. I suppose it also just depends on who happens to be there that night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have donated one of a kind cards for silent auctions as well, and you are not out of line to be disappointed. I would feel personally about it also. But God knows your heart behind it so I think that is what to focus on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your cards are lovely, and I do understand your disappointment at the selling price.

What others have said is unfortunately true, I think. People are indeed always looking for bargains, And so many do not appreciate (or even want) handmade items, whether it is cards or anything else handmade with love and care.

I've seen some really sad stories on this forum about handmade things given as gifts... a beautiful quilt that was found being used by the recipient as a dog bed is one example I particularly remember.:(

I try to have the attitude that I get my enjoyment from making the cards, sewing the quilt, crocheting the afghan, etc.

I have also become pretty "picky" about who gets them. I have friends and relatives who genuinely seem to love handmade things, and they are on my permanent list.

If I were you, I would probably give that next set of beautiful cards you make to someone you know who would appreciate the love and care that you obviously put into them.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy-stamperView Post
I donated the set of cards, with matching envelopes, shown below and they were sold in a silent auction at our church. The set went for $9 which I found pretty disappointing. :(

But I'm wondering, did I have unrealistic expectations? I'm trying to decide whether it's even worth donating cards for sale purposes...
I'd first like to say that I think your cards are lovely.

But I can't say whether you had unrealistic expectations without knowing what your expectations were. So, what were you hoping they'd sell for?

Last edited by SkyNacho; 03-20-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

People do not appreciate your cost of hand made items, and yes it is disappointing. The cards are beautiful and someone got a bargain. I donated to a silent auction a few years ago, a set of eight cards/envies, and the start price was $5.00! They went for more than that, thankfully. I think next time you should suggest a base price (very common to do that here) after all, it is going to a good cause!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I attend lots of charity auctions, and I know one thing: how much items go for TOTALLY depends on the crowd. Many people, myself included, love to snag donated items for a bargain; in fact, that's often the sole reason people bid -- to pick up cool things for a steal... whether that means getting a set of lovely cards for under $10 or getting an $1100 weekend getaway for $850!

I've also helped organize several auctions for different charity groups. Please do remember that from their perspective, every item is pure profit -- things are donated, so every dollar those donated items bring in really counts!
Additionally, we always like to feature items in all price ranges. That way everyone feels like they can at least participate in the fun of placing bids, and if there are items that sell at a lower price point, they might even get to go home with something. That's particularly important when some or all of your 'audience' have lower incomes and not much $ to spend on extras. So perhaps the person who won your set of cards gets to have that rush of winning and the satisfaction of being able to participate, that they might not have had otherwise.

That having been said, yes I agree that $9 is on the low end for your gorgeous cards. But my philosophy is that it's a good thing to make a donation to a worthy cause, and whatever profit that cause can bring in from that item is also a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Bugga, you reminded me of a really expensive, soft throw we had. I had tossed it over the arm of a love seat and our dog took it. She was old and being treated for health issues, and I figured who better to have it than our sweet girl? So it was hers. I got a cheap one.

RenT, thank you for your perspective. I donated my time/consultation in a silent auction once, and it went for 1/3 to 1/2 of what I'd charge. The man who bought it as a gift was so happy.

Happy-stamper, I bet the person who got your exquisite cards was happy too, and maybe didn't have much money to spend for extras. Unless people have really deep pockets and it's a certain type of crowd, I figure auction items often go for a fraction of retail and people go home happy with treasures. (P.S. I'd buy them for so much more!)

Last edited by bjeans; 03-21-2017 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Bugga, not buggy (dang autocorrect)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I would like to think that maybe those cards could have been bought by someone for whom $9 is a whole lot of money and that each one of those cards will go out to cheer someone either as just a hello I'm thinking of you or as a get well or who knows. Each one has the potential to bring cheer, and most people will recognize that the card is handmade. You did a good thing by donating something beautiful and more than one of those cards will make someone's day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand, I won't donate any cards to our church bazaar anymore, the last ones I did and they were fancy and beautiful ended up finally being sold for about $1 a piece and I had probably at least 4-5 in material in them. they just don't sell around my area for anything no matter how fancy they are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 03:17 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I guess I was anticipating that they would sell for $15 ($3 per card) or more. I'm trying to evaluate because I'm disappointed, but I'm not upset or angry, just wondering whether this is a worthwhile way to give support.

I like the idea that it is spreading cheer in a wider circle! That is a value not expressed in dollars and cents.

Thank you for sharing all of your perspectives! I've loved reading every single one, and not just because some of you have said sweet things about the cards :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 05:27 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that they are worth more than $9 for sure. But my DH is an artist, so I have experience with charity auctions, he is asked to donate to them often. Whenever he does, he knows he has to do it with the expectation that the piece will probably sell for less than it is worth. People attend auctions thinking they can get a deal, as others have said.

Don't be disappointed. Think of it this way: Some went home thinking they had gotten a sweet deal on something that was worth more than they paid for it. And in future, you might decide that these kind of events are not for you. Or, you might know what to expect and continue to donate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Your cards are lovely and I understand how you feel but sometimes it's all in the timing too. A friend asked me to make some cards for her children's school auction once.....just some note cards that had no specific greeting....I did them in sets of six and gave her three sets. They didn't go for much more than I had put into them which was fine with me. Six months later she asked again and they sold for three times what I would have thought........you just never know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I understand why you would be let down, as I would have thought for a charity auction it would go the other way, that people way over the odds for things in the name of 'charity'.

That being said, be glad that a. the charity made some money albeit not as much as you hoped, b. the person who won the cards can now spread the joy of your beautiful cards to others to brighten their day.

Well done you for donating your time and supplies to aid a charity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I have read of a lot of people doing their church cards for the person writing the shut in notes. So, they are still donating, but, you also know they are being used. ( and there is no money expectation for them, its still a gift for you)

but, when I have donated cards for a church auction.
(I have never been told what they sold for so it makes it easier for me to just give them my guess if they were not receiving money for them and they had to like PAY to take them to the dump they would stop asking for donations :mrgreen: )

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I understand why you would be let down, as I would have thought for a charity auction it would go the other way, that people way over the odds for things in the name of 'charity'.
Yes, so you would think. But, having been involved in this sort of thing for years, I can tell you that it is not the way it works. The average person sees the word "auction" and comes hoping to get a good deal.

I'm not talking about your ten-thousand-dollar-a-table gala events. Those people are there to donate, not score. But I don't run in those circles. ;)!

(And I was just telling my DH about this thread and he told me the guys who own the gallery he shows in have actually heard people saying "This guy usually donates to such and such auction, I'm going to wait and get something cheaper then." I kid you not.)

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-21-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I think your cards are lovely. $9 was a bargain for those.

I think I have to share my charity auction story: A few years back, some friends of mne organized a charity auction for a local teacher who had cancer. I did not know the teacher but my friends asked me to donate something and it was a good cause.....

At the time, I was making these shadow box 12x12 graduation frames. A local scrapbook store sold paper of all the area high schools ($2.50 a sheet). I bought a gorgeous frame for about $30, bought the paper for the local high school, bought the Jolee's fancy embellishment of graduation gown and hat and other paper and ribbon. All told, I had almost $50 in that frame. To say nothing of the time. AND, I put a card in it that said I would mount their child's picture in the frame... just call me.
When I gave it to one of my friends for the auction, she said "will you change out the paper and ribbon if someone buys it for a different school?" and I said no.
The starting bid was $5. It sold for $12. And the woman who bought it called me a month later to have her sons picture put in it and asked, "Could I have you do two more of these for my other kids? I could still pay you $12 each for them even if it isn't for charity" Um.... no.

Lesson Learned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
I think your cards are lovely. $9 was a bargain for those.

I think I have to share my charity auction story: A few years back, some friends of mne organized a charity auction for a local teacher who had cancer. I did not know the teacher but my friends asked me to donate something and it was a good cause.....

At the time, I was making these shadow box 12x12 graduation frames. A local scrapbook store sold paper of all the area high schools ($2.50 a sheet). I bought a gorgeous frame for about $30, bought the paper for the local high school, bought the Jolee's fancy embellishment of graduation gown and hat and other paper and ribbon. All told, I had almost $50 in that frame. To say nothing of the time. AND, I put a card in it that said I would mount their child's picture in the frame... just call me.
When I gave it to one of my friends for the auction, she said "will you change out the paper and ribbon if someone buys it for a different school?" and I said no.
The starting bid was $5. It sold for $12. And the woman who bought it called me a month later to have her sons picture put in it and asked, "Could I have you do two more of these for my other kids? I could still pay you $12 each for them even if it isn't for charity" Um.... no.

Lesson Learned.
That's a great story, and I know how true it is! People who don't make things have no idea of the time and money that is involved, or even the planning and thinking about it.

A friend of a friend recently called me. She had seen some cards I sent to my friend, and knew I did other papercraft projects. She wanted to "commission" me to make a whole scrapbook for her grown daughter's birthday. She said, "I can bring you a whole box of photos, and you can choose which ones you want to use." That, in itself was quite daunting and pretty silly. How could I pick photos of someone I did not know?

She said she could pay me $30 for the finished book, and she thought I could provide the paper and the book! Like you, Um...no.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I know at the silent auction the youth group at our church does, all donated auction items have the "value" of the gift on the auction slip as well as the minimum bid. Sometimes, the high bid is the minimum bid and sometimes it's higher.We also have a buy now table and that's what i donate my cards to. I put a price of $2.50 each on them. Some years they've sold out (i make 30) and some years I've gone home with almost as many as I made.

I think my most pleasing year was the year I donated a year's worth of my homemade cinnamon rolls (1 dozen a month). That was a battle of battles and the final bid was $160. It made me happy that my cinnamon rolls are loved so much and my kids were guaranteed to get cinnamon rolls every month because I sure as heck couldn't make a pan for someone else and not for them

it makes me happy to make things and donate them to charity auctions no matter how much money the charity gets for them. And while i have been disappointed in the lack of interest (low bid) at times I will continue to give because it's what I'm led to do

Your cards are lovely and I would have paid quite a bit more than $9 for them but do take heart that the person that won them wanted them and will use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy-stamperView Post
I guess I was anticipating that they would sell for $15 ($3 per card) or more. I'm trying to evaluate because I'm disappointed, but I'm not upset or angry, just wondering whether this is a worthwhile way to give support.

I like the idea that it is spreading cheer in a wider circle! That is a value not expressed in dollars and cents.

Thank you for sharing all of your perspectives! I've loved reading every single one, and not just because some of you have said sweet things about the cards :rolleyes:
Oh, gosh, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all, especially not for a charity auction! Perhaps if you want to try it again, you might consider making a box for them to go into. There are a couple of tutorials here; I think there is a recent thread about boxes with links to more. (And I still really want to make a set like this.) Sometimes a lovely package adds perceived value, and you can make one for pennies.

But, you know, $9 will buy a bottle, bib, and pacifier for a new baby. It will buy a whole rotisserie chicken and a couple of potatoes for a family's dinner. It will buy some notebooks, pens, pencils, and crayons for a kid at back to school time. It will buy nine boxes of tissues for the pastor's office when he's providing counseling to the bereaved. It will buy a can of coffee for the fellowship hall. It will fill someone's gas tank so they can get to work this week.

There's a lot your $9 will do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
That's a great story, and I know how true it is! People who don't make things have no idea of the time and money that is involved, or even the planning and thinking about it.

A friend of a friend recently called me. She had seen some cards I sent to my friend, and knew I did other papercraft projects. She wanted to "commission" me to make a whole scrapbook for her grown daughter's birthday. She said, "I can bring you a whole box of photos, and you can choose which ones you want to use." That, in itself was quite daunting and pretty silly. How could I pick photos of someone I did not know?

She said she could pay me $30 for the finished book, and she thought I could provide the paper and the book! Like you, Um...no.

These stories are hilarious. Sad, but hilarious.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 04:56 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

I think silent auctions for some small non-profits are a way for people to get something special that they otherwise could not afford. That's part of the draw.

Meanwhile they're socializing and maybe eating, and is it their job to figure out how much time someone spent on a craft project or piece of art? Retail is simpler; there's the price, buy it or pass.

When I made fused glass pieces, if someone had offered me $30, and I had put 20 hours of work into it plus $50 of glass and other supplies, plus three firings (electricity $$), I'd say I have more than $30 in materials in it, plus many hours of labor so unfortunately couldn't let it go at that price, but wish I could.

How would they know? They weren't glass workers, and were used to seeing cheap glass from China at big box stores.

Just my take; YMMV! : )

Last edited by bjeans; 03-22-2017 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 06:12 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post

Lesson Learned.
Wow. That is quite the story -- maybe $9 for my cards was pretty good! I also never considered that a low winning bid could lead to requests for more at a crazy price. What is that cynical saying? No good deed goes unpunished? :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 06:14 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
Your cards are lovely and I understand how you feel but sometimes it's all in the timing too. A friend asked me to make some cards for her children's school auction once.....just some note cards that had no specific greeting....I did them in sets of six and gave her three sets. They didn't go for much more than I had put into them which was fine with me. Six months later she asked again and they sold for three times what I would have thought........you just never know.

What you are saying makes perfect sense. If I feel inspired to make a set (i.e. can do it in a fun way, not a pressured way) in the future I will donate again and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we can all relate to these situations one way or another. I dabble in custom cake pops as a hobby and for a little extra spending money. A friend of a friend asked if I could supply her with 35 of them on Friday for homecoming. She called me on Thursday night at 10 PM and couldn't understand why I turned her down and she was offended. I guess the .50 cents apiece she was offering me for them was supposed to make me jump for joy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I understand your disappointment, Beautiful cards!! I would have thought they would have gone for more. But the $ went to a good cause! It reminds me of the time I donated about 100 cards at work. Some of the cards were mine, most were from swaps. I also bought a box of envelopes. The card were to be used for Birthday, Get Well etc. I also said that people could take them for personal use. One lady took them all for her church. She came up to me and thanked me for the donation. That wasn't my intention when I brought in the cards but I thought they went to a good cause so I was happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Maybe there's a little bit of this in there too, at least it brings it up for me. I make cards for a 150 member garden group. They go to people who are ill or have had a major life event positive or negative. I probably make three or four a week for this group. I have a little budget that covers the cost of stamps and envelopes but half the time I forget to turn in the receipts. I like making them. Although I try not to think about it or be attached in any way I sometimes wonder how many of these immediately go into the trash. It's a lesson in detachment for me but I sometimes find myself spending more time and effort on the cards I send to the people who mention year after year that they are framing their card, or they keep them in a box, or just that they liked getting it. Just a little human thing that I readily admit to. I know it's only paper and that's not the spirit behind sending a card but there it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Maybe there's a little bit of this in there too, at least it brings it up for me. I make cards for a 150 member garden group. They go to people who are ill or have had a major life event positive or negative. I probably make three or four a week for this group. I have a little budget that covers the cost of stamps and envelopes but half the time I forget to turn in the receipts. I like making them. Although I try not to think about it or be attached in any way I sometimes wonder how many of these immediately go into the trash. It's a lesson in detachment for me but I sometimes find myself spending more time and effort on the cards I send to the people who mention year after year that they are framing their card, or they keep them in a box, or just that they liked getting it. Just a little human thing that I readily admit to. I know it's only paper and that's not the spirit behind sending a card but there it is.
I know what you mean! I send lots of cards to extended family, and over the years I have learned that certain people really love getting them, save them, etc. When I make a card that looks or feels extra special it gets saved for those special recipients! I don't love the other folks any less, but it just makes sense to give my favorite cards to those who appreciate them most. Beats having piles of cards that are too special to send to anyone ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

That's exactly it. Funny you mention about the piles of cards. I have a couple of cards that took me so much time that I haven't made duplicates of them. I like them so much I haven't sent them yet. I keep pictures in my gallery of the ones I send to this group with their names so I don't send a similar one the next time. Even that hasn't allowed to me to part with a couple. I guess I'll count those as ones I sent myself. Last year when I had been briefly ill two of the members of the garden group asked me if I had gotten a card from the "sunshine lady?" I said no that I was too congested and grumpy to send myself a card. They said oh that's right, laughed and sent me a couple of very nice belated ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Last year when I had been briefly ill two of the members of the garden group asked me if I had gotten a card from the "sunshine lady?" I said no that I was too congested and grumpy to send myself a card. They said oh that's right, laughed and sent me a couple of very nice belated ones.
Too funny! We all just have to keep our senses of humor about this whole card making and giving thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I send about 35-40 birthday cards a year mostly to family and about the same in Christmas cards. I also make Easter and Thanksgiving cards and if I get enough made then those go out to everyone on my list as well. Three of the recipients have told me they save my cards and really cherish my "art." I delight in sending them cards!

The flip side - I receive 0 cards for my birthday and 3 Christmas cards each year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Oh, gosh, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all, especially not for a charity auction! Perhaps if you want to try it again, you might consider making a box for them to go into. There are a couple of tutorials here; I think there is a recent thread about boxes with links to more. (And I still really want to make a set like this.) Sometimes a lovely package adds perceived value, and you can make one for pennies.

But, you know, $9 will buy a bottle, bib, and pacifier for a new baby. It will buy a whole rotisserie chicken and a couple of potatoes for a family's dinner. It will buy some notebooks, pens, pencils, and crayons for a kid at back to school time. It will buy nine boxes of tissues for the pastor's office when he's providing counseling to the bereaved. It will buy a can of coffee for the fellowship hall. It will fill someone's gas tank so they can get to work this week.

There's a lot your $9 will do.
I love how you worded this! I hadn't thought of how far 9.00 can go! I appreciate your perspective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Stamper, your cards are gorgeous and I am sorry they didn't fetch more at the auction. I do agree that most expect to get a bargain when they go to an auction. As someone pointed out the $9 will go a long way for charity. Mahalo to whomever that was as I hadn't seen it from that perspective.
Arlene_C I hear you. . . I love making and sending cards. . . sometimes I get grumpy and say "no more". . . of course I keep making them so there is a pile to be sent. . . I was blessed with a wonderful trip last year and met up with a number of old friends. . . EACH one of them mentioned how much they appreciate my cards and that they arrive "just at the right time". . . soooo, since even though I rarely get a card (I think they are intimidated as they don't make cards) I have again begun to send from that stash and am now making more to send. My list has grown and it brings me joy to create and to "see" their faces when they arrive. . . I do think there is an intimidation factor to the whole no card thing. . . I know my Dad is an amazing artist. . . I didn't draw/paint like he does for that reason, intimidated by his talents. . .
Great thread and reminder that the joy of creating on our behalf can be the best part. . . if others appreciate it, that is a bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a right to ANY feeling you have. You wanted your beautiful cards to sell for more, not an unreasonable expectation. But silent auctions are tricky. How your cards were displayed: what was next to them, what kind of table and covering they were displayed on, how high the starting bid was set, along with who was there --all these and more are factors. Also people at church, especially those who tithe at significant levels, may prefer to think of a silent auction as bargain shopping, not as a charitable effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodly CreationsView Post
soooo, since even though I rarely get a card (I think they are intimidated as they don't make cards) I have again begun to send from that stash and am now making more to send.
I think you are right about the intimidation factor. In the past I've received cards from friends and family, and sometimes they wrote on the card "sorry, not hand made" with a smiley face.

I hastened to let them know that I LOVE getting cards, anytime, even if they aren't handmade. The thought is truly what counts with me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

They are beautiful cards, and I, too, would've expected at least a $10 bid – right? But pat yourself on the back for making such beautiful works of art and for your big heart in donating them to a great cause. Many people don't bother doing that.

I'm steeling myself for the donation I just made for a dog rescue silent auction fundraiser--a handmade junk journal made from a vintage children's book about a dog named Snowball. This journal should sell for at least $30 but I'm fully expecting that it will go for under $10--which is $5 more than their average donation so I guess I'll have to be okay with that :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I stopped feeling bad when my cards didn't go for a lot at silent auctions. I just decided that it helped to give some more items to bid on and like some one said, not everybody is able to pay big $$. And it's a donation. once it leaves my hands, anything they get is good. I do have a comment on someone who talked about a quilt being used for a dog bed. Maybe the quilt went to a very loved dog and the buyer of the quilt's intent was a loving gesture to her dog. People can be kind of over-the-top sometimes with their pets. We have a dog at home. I know they are like another member of the family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdscrapperView Post
I stopped feeling bad when my cards didn't go for a lot at silent auctions. I just decided that it helped to give some more items to bid on and like some one said, not everybody is able to pay big $$. And it's a donation. once it leaves my hands, anything they get is good. I do have a comment on someone who talked about a quilt being used for a dog bed. Maybe the quilt went to a very loved dog and the buyer of the quilt's intent was a loving gesture to her dog. People can be kind of over-the-top sometimes with their pets. We have a dog at home. I know they are like another member of the family!
So beautifully put. When my parents were asked how many children they had, they'd sometimes answer three: their son, daughter (me) and our dog. I was taught that no matter how hungry or tired or busy you are, you take care of your animals before yourself, since they can't do for themselves. My animals are family members, just a different species.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdscrapperView Post
I'm a lifelong dog and cat lover, and I do know what you mean. The story I told about the quilt was not that scenario. The quilt maker gave it as a gift to a family member. It was a very elaborate, beautiful quilt. The receiver was not terribly enthusiastic with her thanks, which gives a clue to what happened to the quilt.

I make and send a lot of cards, and don't distress myself with what happens to them after I send them. I hope they are appreciated, and usually they are, but if not, oh well.

I also crochet and feel differently about those projects. Yarn is pretty expensive, and crocheting a blanket takes a lot of time. I don't give them to someone unless I know it is something they would enjoy and use.

Reply With Quote Likes