Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts
Default corner rounder on envelope punch board SU

It does not cut cleanly. It leaves a little ragged edge on on one of the rounded corners. Anyone else have this on theirs and how did you fix it?

Thanks
Shirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw envelope punch board and ran and checked mine, but mine is WRMK. And I don't have that problem. Hope you get some answers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it seems like it's doing that just because it's dull (as opposed to the cutting part being misshapen), get some aluminum foil, fold it over two or three times to make it a little thicker, and try punching through a few times. That is an oft-recommended technique for sharpening punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 218 Likes on 134 Posts

The corner rounder on my board doesn't punch clean, either, but if I want rounded corners on my envelope flaps, I just grab my regular corner rounder punch.
BTW, the StampinUp board is made by We R Memory Keepers - they are the same product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

You have to make sure its pushed in correctly. If both sides aren't touching the sides of the lunch it will be off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Mine (WRMK) doesn't punch as smooth as corner as my corner rounder. But there's not a ragged edge. Just a spot on either side where the curve doesn't merge into the straight edge quite perfectly. I guess it's never been enough to bother me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Mine (WRMK) doesn't punch as smooth as corner as my corner rounder. But there's not a ragged edge. Just a spot on either side where the curve doesn't merge into the straight edge quite perfectly. I guess it's never been enough to bother me.

You description is better than what I said. Thank you. It is what I meant. I just do not get why they allowed this on the market like this.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Well, I'm glad you now know you're not crazy. Or have the only punch board that does this. Yes, that little point at the end of the curve is not what I would have liked to see, either. I guess there have not been sufficient complaints. I haven't complained. If it had been more expensive I suppose I would have. But for ten bucks, I figured I couldn't expect perfection. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
You description is better than what I said. Thank you. It is what I meant. I just do not get why they allowed this on the market like this.

Shirl
Another alternative is sometimes to gently file the "rough" spot. I have a set of metal files from CTMH that work well for that, but I think any nail file will do (although colored emery boards sometimes transfer color).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Emily and Robin. I think my SU one was a lot more than $10. It is now $27.00 in their catty.. Guess I should have complained to them at the time. <grin>.... I did try to manipulate the corners on a card recently and thought it was alright, only to see after I glued my piece down that I could still see it. Will have to pay closer attn. in the future.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Now I will need to check out my board!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I just looked at the SU board. It does look like a brown version of my WRMK board. But selling for $20. The WRMK board is still ten dollars and change on Amazon. I wonder what the difference is?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Michaels is selling the WRMK one for $19.99 though of course you can use a coupon. I just tried mine half a dozen time with copier paper and light cardstock. The curve merged smoothly. I thought it didn't once but it was just a little dot of paper I was able to flick off with my finger. Maybe a slight manufacturing flaw with some batches?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Ha ha.

Okay. This is just going to demonstrate to everyone that I have WAY too much time on my hands. But here is the corner I get on my WRMK punch board:

corner rounder on envelope punch board SU-epcorner1.jpg

corner rounder on envelope punch board SU-evcorner2.jpg

I used Whisper White for these and then tried copy paper:

corner rounder on envelope punch board SU-epcornercp.jpg

Neither of them are completely smooth.

And, what the heck, let's complete this experiment. Here's what my Corner Chomper produces:

corner rounder on envelope punch board SU-cc1.jpg

corner rounder on envelope punch board SU-cc2.jpg

Using both WW and copy paper. Sorry for the glare on those.

Not really perfect, either, when you look closely. But good enough for me. (Maybe someone else is getting better results with their CCs. But I am pretty sure I know how to use them properly.)

And BTW, I never shop at Michaels, since there is no Michaels within 5 hours of me (which is probably the Universe doing me a big favor, financially), but I hear tell of these coupons that people use all the time. This is the first time I have actually had the occasion to be able to compare prices from Michaels and Amazon. Amazon is half the cost. Granted, I have Amazon Prime. So no shipping. But still. It makes me wonder. Why is the Michaels price twice as much? Unless the point is that you get to use a coupon to bring it down to a reasonable price and feel some sense of accomplishment.

As for SU charging $20. Well. I don't intend to denigrate SU, I do buy some of their stuff on a regular basis. But I do think they tend to be overpriced, especially on tools. I own several of their extremely expensive scissors. And also some much less expensive cutterbees. Which are just as good IMHO.

Off topic, I know.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-20-2017 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Love hearing everyone's thoughts and experiences on this......I am in Canada so we pay twice as much in Micheals as opposed to the U.S. prices and SU is a lot higher as well...just so ya know, lol.....

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Ha ha.

Okay. This is just going to demonstrate to everyone that I have WAY too much time on my hands. But here is the corner I get on my WRMK punch board:

Attachment 326369

Attachment 326370

I used Whisper White for these and then tried copy paper:

Attachment 326371

Neither of them are completely smooth.

And, what the heck, let's complete this experiment. Here's what my Corner Chomper produces:

Attachment 326373

Attachment 326374

Using both WW and copy paper. Sorry for the glare on those.

Not really perfect, either, when you look closely. But good enough for me. (Maybe someone else is getting better results with their CCs. But I am pretty sure I know how to use them properly.)

And BTW, I never shop at Michaels, since there is no Michaels within 5 hours of me (which is probably the Universe doing me a big favor, financially), but I hear tell of these coupons that people use all the time. This is the first time I have actually had the occasion to be able to compare prices from Michaels and Amazon. Amazon is half the cost. Granted, I have Amazon Prime. So no shipping. But still. It makes me wonder. Why is the Michaels price twice as much? Unless the point is that you get to use a coupon to bring it down to a reasonable price and feel some sense of accomplishment.

As for SU charging $20. Well. I don't intend to denigrate SU, I do buy some of their stuff on a regular basis. But I do think they tend to be overpriced, especially on tools. I own several of their extremely expensive scissors. And also some much less expensive cutterbees. Which are just as good IMHO.

Off topic, I know.
OT Continued ; ). On Amazon.com Amazon can be the seller or umpteen other vendors can be sellers, and it's up to each one to set their own prices. Amazon is selling/shipping the punch board for $10.54 and there are five pages of other sellers selling it for a variety of prices. (You can see the other sellers if you select "New (45) from $10.54."

I think Michaels and other coupon-heavy retailers price popular items expecting people to use coupons, and it's gravy if someone doesn't.

I only go to JoAnne's a couple times a year, but when I was there a few months ago, everyone in line in front of me had paper coupons or had them in their phones to be scanned. Including me, and I almost never shop there, but they had my favorite paper stack so I pre-ordered it and picked it up there to avoid shipping. (Not all JoAnne's do this yet.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I know what you are talking about. I did a lot of punching to see what was wrong...different punches are different in my limited opinion.

I have found on my lever corner punches it is critical you make sure the paper is all the way in...so now I punch it upside down so I can see. Otherwise I get what you are talking about. It only has to be off by the slightest hair...

or the other way at times on others...if you pull back a smidge, the edges of the blade will definitely cover the ediges of the paper if that makes sense.

I suspect it is either a design flaw (depending on model) or a mfg issue ...if the angle of the paper is greater than that of the blades's curve, this is going to happen.

So try it-see if more in or out helps. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine doesn't work too well either. It's like it slightly tears the paper in one spot rather than cutting through. I find it works better with some papers/cards than with others and I often get a good result if I pop a piece of copy paper in with the main paper and cut through both at the same time. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes