Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should I sell a set of cards for?

I have made set of cards as gifts for friends, and they have approached me about buying sets for them to give as gifts to other people. The cards I make are usually a base, with one additional layer, some stamping and either dry embossing or die cuts. I usually make a set of anywhere from 6 to 10 cards.

I plan on packaging them in clear boxes purchased off amazon, because I eventually would like to sell at craft shows and I think that the clear boxes look nicer.

I'm so bad at figuring out what I should charge, mainly because I don't think that my work is good enough to charge for. And that's not just cards...it's anything I do, lol!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how much help I can be, other than to say don't sell yourself short! If others want to buy your cards to give as gifts, they clearly see something they not only like, but are willing to give to others. People will not give as a gift something they see as cheap looking.
So theres that. Then I will give you the advice I was given on here, when I was asked to make some wedding stationery. First off, work out your materials cost- if you have to do this for say 5 or 10 cards as a block, great just divide by 5-10 to then give you a per card price. Next multiply that figure by 4.
One for the cost of materials.
Second to cover overheads- heating, lighting, printer ink and so on.
Third is to cover your time.
Fourth portion is for you- your profit.
The figure multiplied by four is your selling price per card. Then just multiply by however many cards are going into a pack.
Final bit of advice- there is a very fine dividing line between Homemade and Handmade, and that definition is usually in the price! People do expect to pay a little more generally, for hand made, artisan products.
You may not see yourself that way yet, but if you price yourself as such, you will be accepted as such.
Good Luck. X
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you haven't found your way over to the Frugal Crafter, she is a wonderful gal with all sorts of inspiration and thoughts on your question. She has a YouTube channel that is a wealth of knowledge. Have fun with this adventure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to sell my cards for several years... but now I love just giving them away as gifts. When I was selling them, I would sell each card for $4 a piece and also sold gift packs of 10 assorted cards for $30. I wrap them in cellophane bags, ruffle the top of the bags, and tie them with this cute brown ribbon with white polka dots. I think pricing also depends on where you live - I'm in downtown Chicago and my cards are a great deal compared to the little boutiques everywhere! I make my cards in multiples of 8 usually - so I have tons of cards on hand - which really helps reduce the amount of labor I put in. But I have a friend in different part of town and finds people will pay about $2.50 a card from her. So your market might play a role in helping determine a price too. But definitely know your creations have value - they are one of a kind designs - and you have a built in demand already with requests for gift packs! That's amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I'd like to thank all of you for your input. It has given me a lot to think about. It will be a while before I get the cards made, and definitely before the next craft show I go to (I went to a vendor event with a friend and helped her out....we decided to go in business together).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have a link to the amazon boxes? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I sold cards at a local Makers Market they were $3 per, and if you bought five you got one for free. CAS note cards were 12 cards for $10
Reply With Quote Likes