Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:03 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about how to decorate a journal

I want to create a journal by adding a background and an image made with paper, but I'm not quite sure how to attach the background and image so that they look nice and stay on. I also need suggestions of what type of journal to use for this project.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 05:56 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I notice you are new to the site so first of all WELCOME! We would need a bit of information to help you though:

Are you a paper crafter/stamper/scrapbooker currently and how experienced are you at that.

You posted to the mixed media section so does this mean you want to do mixed media journaling or are you writing only/mostly type journaler?

If you are going to be doing artwork in your journal, what kind? I tend to put what is inside the journal on the outside as well. For example if you use only colored pencils then colored pencils on your cover would make sense. What you are putting on the outside can make a difference on how you attach background artwork to your cover.

What kind of journal you choose is also dictated by what type of journaling your will be doing but it is also a personal choice. I know it can be overwhelming but don't let fear freeze you out of trying. Take the plunge and buy a journal, as you use it you will figure out what works and doesn't work for you, that is okay. In fact that is normal, you may very well buy and use several different types before finding favorites, then somewhere along the way your style and preferences will change and you will be tying new/different kinds again. That is part of the mixed media experience and can actually be fun if you let go and let if be fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I'm a paper crafter and have quite a bit of experience at card making and have designed and made several pop-up cards.

I want to create a small journal by adding a background and an image MADE WITH PAPER, but I'm not quite sure how to attach the background and image so that they look nice and stay on.

I also need suggestions of what type of journal to use for this project. I would be using paper. The journal is for my daughter to write in to keep track of chickens she purchased. Probably no artwork inside the journal, and it wouldn't be a very large/thick journal. Just lined paper.

Since the journal is for someone else, I can't really just buy a journal and figure out what works and doesn't work. That's why I'm asking for suggestions on how to attach a background and image, made with paper, to a store bought journal. I also would like suggestions on the type of journal to buy...I know I need something small, but where can I find a small journal that I can attach a background and image to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're looking to just add a background and image to the front cover, you could create a cover piece using a good card stock or watercolor paper, depending on what medium you select. Scor-Tape would work well to adhere it. It comes in many widths or even sheets.

In a mini-book class (sewn pages, never again!) with a chipboard cover, we used Scor-Tape, and it's my go-to double-sided tape for permanent sticking if the project is going to get handled a lot. You'd put the tape right along the edges of your piece plus some on the inside. It won't go anywhere.

If you wanted a more layered look, you could first cover the front journal cover with a patterned or solid color paper (not cardstock). Just make it larger than the cover, bevel the corners, fold in and adhere. You would adhere another piece of paper on the inside cover to hide the overlapped paper from the front. Then you'd add your background/image to the front like above.

If you'd rather use a liquid glue, PVA is good for books/journals, and inexpensive.

As for journals, there are So many out there these days. I might suggest not getting one with a very flimsy cover. If someone doesn't have a specific suggestion, googling "lined journal" should get you started. Or if near you, office supply stores, big box craft stores should have some.

I hope you come back and post what you did! And if I've misread what you're looking for, my apologies. I can touch type better than I can read right now (minor eye issue after a fall a couple months ago but all good.).

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 03:10 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Since this will be used frequently you might also consider coating the paper cover with something like a matte Mod Podge to protect it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This might work for you. A friend made very attractive journals using the old fashioned (Chief?) notebooks . She put DSP on the cover and attached a ribbon to use as a bookmark. For heavy use, I would use medium as a glue and as a protective outside coating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get small notebooks, journals at Michael's or other craft stores in their $1.00 or $2.00 bins. You can paint the covers with Gesso, then use acrylic paints to create a background...let dry and then apply other embellishments or die cuts, words, etc. using matte medium as your glue and also cover the top portion of the book cover to protect it. Similar to using matte Mod Podge. Depends on what you have on hand or what you want to purchase. You could also use scrapbook designed paper as your background, just use the Matte medium or Mod Podge to adhere it. Some of the journals have hard chipboard covers and some will be lighter weight. These processes will work on any of them.
Have fun with it.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

I've done several of these using the composition notebooks. They even make mini ones that come in packs of 2 or 3 (check Walmart or Staples). Here is a video of the basic process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 04:11 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Journal is finished! Thank you all for your suggestions!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So cute, you did an awesome job on it! Thank you for sharing a picture, it's inspiring.
Reply With Quote Likes