Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Stamps with matching dies and storage

Do you store them together so you don't forget which dies go with which stamp set? It seems like for some of the current SU sets I recently received the matching dies only match two or three of the several stamps in the set. I think it will be too easy for me to forget which stamp set goes with which die set. For the older ones I have, they really match so easy to tell which goes with which. Anyone else notice this for the current years selection? Or maybe it's just me...? They are also not named the same or similar.
Currently I store dies together and stamps are organized in categories, but separate from the dies. I might need to rethink this now though for 3-4 sets I just received.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store separately with dies in labeled clear CD pockets and filed in categories. Having them labeled with the name of the set is important to me. I gues I started that way because my stamp pockets get so fat if I store the dies in them. If I were having trouble matching them up though it would make sense to store together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have actually been thinking about this recently. I have been storing them separately, but that is not really working for me. Because I have almost all clear stamps I should be able to store the dies in the cases with the stamps. I'll cut the magnetic sheet to fit the cases and place the dies on that sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I store all my stamps and dies together. I have a laminated card stock 5x7 that my stamps go on and then a magnetic sheet that the dies go in and they are both in a plastic envelope/pocket. I got a great deal on Amazon for the pockets and magnetic sheets. If the dies are small I cut the magnetic sheet in half and use for two sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have not thought about storing dies with the stamp set. I think for most of my stamps that wouldn't be possible to store with the dies. I like rubber too much. I am just rethinking that for the stamp sets with dies, I should store them together. No idea how yet. I think I will look at what I have and see if it's possible, check out my options. Maybe just a list of my stamps with the matching dies and keeping it handy would be sufficient. ...?
Thanks, everyone, for your input, thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I store my stamps in the SU cases, if the matching dies all fit, I use an adhesive backed magnetic sheet on the left, inside case. It depends on the size of the dies (for example SU large letters and stamp set, too many dies) It works for quite a few though, and I use the SU cases for non SU stamp/dies as well. I use my labeller to print out +die(s) and add that to the spine, for non SU I print out make,stamp + die (example; HA deer head +die)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Good idea, lynkim. Thanks for sharing. I have not even looked to see if the dies would fit in the stamp cases. I imagine most won't though as they are pretty thin for the non wood mounted stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I store them together in Avery Elle knock-off clear sleeves. The only exception is if the dies are shapes that I could use for other things. For example, if a stamp set has a balloon die, I'll store the die with my other dies, but I'll stick a label on the stamp sleeve that tells me that there's a matching die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep my stamps and dies separate. Any stamp set I have - whether they are SU or not - I put a pink circle label on the back side of the package or the DVD case to indicate I have matching dies or matching punch. I'll write the name of the punch or dies on the pink label if it has a different name than the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I store my matching dies with the stamp set. Much easier when everything is together. I also un mounted all my wooden stamps and store them in the same type of case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
I keep my stamps and dies separate. Any stamp set I have - whether they are SU or not - I put a pink circle label on the back side of the package or the DVD case to indicate I have matching dies or matching punch. I'll write the name of the punch or dies on the pink label if it has a different name than the set.
OH MY! I have not even thought of my punches and which stamps or organization with them in regard to the stamps! I do use them from time to time, actually more than the dies until recently. I will use them for a while, forget about them, go back to using them. It's a cycle for sure. I certainly have my favorites that I always have handy though.

ETA: The other thing I have been wanting to start using again, I have not used in a very long time, is my wheels. I LOVE my wheels not sure why I have not pulled them out in so long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by connie leoneView Post
I store my matching dies with the stamp set. Much easier when everything is together. I also un mounted all my wooden stamps and store them in the same type of case.
I am thinking it would be much easier if I stored the bundles together now too; however, I don't think I will ever unmount my wood sets. I like the wood too much. I suppose if it ever became a space issue, then I might have to consider it again but for now, NO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I couldn't do the wood either. I unmounted a few and then completely forgot about them. I have kind of a rotating display of wood on a shelf to remind me to use them. I'm starting to think about shifting at least some of my categories of dies into their matching clear stamp sets to see if I like it. Some good suggestions here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If the die can be used without a stamp, I keep it with my dies, and a note with the stamps in their pocket.

If the die is just an outline of a stamp and wouldn't be used separately, I keep it with the stamp.

So I have an Encouragement stamp/die set by Jasmine Jones. The die is one large flower that does not "connect" to any stamp other than looking nice with them. That die is in my die bin with a note/label referring to the stamp set, and the stamp set has a note referring to the die. In fact I don't think I've ever used that flower with the stamp set. : )

But I have a stamp/die set where the dies are simple outlines of the flowers. You could use them alone, but it would be a little unusual since they're basically die blobs. Those are in the stamp set pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

With the Stampin' Up sets particularly, I use to store the stamp set and corresponding dies together but found that there are dies within some die/stamp sets don't have corresponding stamps for each die so the dies can be used separately. So I found that when I wanted one of these stand-alone dies, I had to remember which stamp set it went with to locate the die set. So, I now store them separately and put a sticky note with the stamp set with the name of the corresponding dies and put a note on the dies listing the name of the stamp set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

After some thought I'm heading with the put it together if the stamps and dies match up. Yes, the "die blobs" only go with the stamps, so that is making sense to me. The exceptions are a few where it's just too tight a fit to get all that into an Avery Elle pocket. I'm not starting over with new bins and larger envelopes anytime soon. I will keep my frame dies separate even if they came with a set. I have seen the light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Just went to look up Avery Elle pocket. For those who use that system, how do you then store the filled pockets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
Just went to look up Avery Elle pocket. For those who use that system, how do you then store the filled pockets?
In InterDesign storage containers. Jennifer McGuire has made many videos about stamp and die storage using Avery Elle pockets, and over time has expanded the pocket selection and size to accommodate bigger stamps.

Many people use her system or a modified version. If you scroll down the page you'll see photos of the single and double-wide bins. Some people find baskets or bins from Ikea, Target, The Container Store or other stores instead.
Stamp and Die Storage Pockets Overview + GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I store my pockets sideways in photo boxes inside a wide Sterilite cart with drawers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Jennifer McGuire all the way with the double fridge bins. They happen to fit my converted file drawers on both sides of my desk with just a tiny amount of wiggle room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I changed my mind. I recently got a stamp set and thinlits and decided to put the thinlits in the stamp case. I cut a piece of magnetic sheet the size of the inside of my su case and double stick taped it to the opposite INSIDE cover and then added all my thinlits.
+++++the reason I came up with this plan was thinking about losing my sister and having to go thru all her craft stuff. I thought, if these are in a different location and something happens to me and family has that task they would have no clue they go together, and for what they cost, I need to keep them together to benefit whomever might end up with them. So that is how I decided to make the change.

****I ALSO TAKE a piece of painters tape and put it on the outside of stamp sets I have matching punches for and write on it ALSO HAS MATCHING PUNCH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by diecuts4uView Post
I changed my mind. I recently got a stamp set and thinlits and decided to put the thinlits in the stamp case. I cut a piece of magnetic sheet the size of the inside of my su case and double stick taped it to the opposite INSIDE cover and then added all my thinlits.
+++++the reason I came up with this plan was thinking about losing my sister and having to go thru all her craft stuff. I thought, if these are in a different location and something happens to me and family has that task they would have no clue they go together, and for what they cost, I need to keep them together to benefit whomever might end up with them. So that is how I decided to make the change.

****I ALSO TAKE a piece of painters tape and put it on the outside of stamp sets I have matching punches for and write on it ALSO HAS MATCHING PUNCH.
Very good reason to keep them together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

This was a scenario I observed. The kids or other nearest and dearest plan a garage sale. They notify the nearest LSS and all the crafty friends. The stuff sells out in five minutes. You are right. If they are stored together it makes it easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Comment on the Avery Elle Pockets - I have both the Avery Elle and pockets from Ellen Hutson Essentials line. The ones from Ellen Hutson are thicker and stronger. If you are having any issues with the Avery Elle pockets, you might want to check out the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

True about the Ellen Hutson pockets. I find that it's a little hard on the Avery Elle pockets when I load them up with dies. Doing it over I would buy the EH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I have most stamps in Avery Elle but my dies are in the tough 5"x5" square pockets from SSS. I don't care if a few stick out. The flap is up instead of being tucked in, so that's more support. One die or die set per pocket, plus a piece of CS. A magnetic sheet is added only when there are a bunch of dies.

I think this is Jennifer McGuire's system; it's been a long time since I watched though.

I also have some of the sturdy Ellen Hutson pockets but haven't used them yet for anything. They're nice though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Yeah the 5x5's for the dies. As I switch over to dies and stamps together those die pockets keep the sharp edges from rubbing on the outer stamp pockets. I am using the thicker ones usually used for CDs and available at the big box office store. I've had to remove a few die cuts and inlay blotter pieces I used to like keeping in the stamp pockets but all in all the "together" system seems more intuitive for the size of my collection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I store them together in Avery Elle knock-off clear sleeves. The only exception is if the dies are shapes that I could use for other things. For example, if a stamp set has a balloon die, I'll store the die with my other dies, but I'll stick a label on the stamp sleeve that tells me that there's a matching die.
I do the exact same thing!!
Reply With Quote Likes