Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distress Oxide Inks

I'm thinking of ordering some of these inks to try. I've never jumped on the distress wagon but these really intrigue me especially for blending.

If you could only order 5 of the current colors which ones would you recommend and is it necessary to get the reinkers.? I have reinkers for other ink pads I have and rarely use them but didn't know how often these may need reining.

Thank you for your input.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Depends what you like - I sort of like the brighter Distress colors, so I'm enjoying Broken China, Fossilized Amber, Cracked Pistachio and Worn Lipstick - plus that grouping gives you the three primaries so you can mix to your heart's content. They are really fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Like Lydia said, it depends on the colors you're drawn to. I think if pushed I'd order vintage photo to have a brown/neutral along with four that play nice together. (And I'd use regular Distress vintage photo sometimes along with the Oxide vintage photo for a lighter and darker look if wetting the Oxide inks.)

I'd pretty much ditto her other color choices too: cracked pistachio, worn lipstick, a blue, and spiced marmalade since if applied lightly it's yellow instead of orange on white paper, so it's a two-fer. At least that happened twice when I used it. (Not part of our class but happened then for me too.)

As per the instructor who taught an oxide ink class the other night, cracked pistachio can look the most aged/vintage/oxidized when wet and heated. And she knows her stuff.

I'd get reinkers for colors you use the most, but you can wait and see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just done a blog post about these inkpads, and one thing I have to say to you is that they don't blend in the same way that normal Distress pads do. These are quite opaque compared to Distress pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I would get the colors you most use plus vintage photo for a neutral. There is a long post in the tools and techniques forum about Distress Oxides if you are looking for people's experiences with them. TH's Distress Oxides by Bohodiva at Splitcoaststampers

I personally like the cracked pistachio, broken china, faded jeans, wilted violet and the pink. Blues and greens are my most used colors in lots of cards. I did get them all and I am not sure i need the walnut stain, but I enjoy all the other colors.

PS, I was wondering about getting the reinkers too. I think I will wait until I really need them. Tim said something in the CHA video that the shelf life might not be as long for these inks as many other inks we are used to (he did not give a time period) so I was a touch worried about that. Anyone have more info on this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #6  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

One of the great things about oxide distress is that they are opaque so even light colors show up on dark/khaki card stock. For me that would place all the light colors at the top of my list because I don't like pigment inks and these now give me a way to use light colored ink on dark paper. That plus I'm just not into brown the way Tim is ;) !

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love blues and greens but especially green or blue and brown! So I got Cracked Pistachio, Iced Spruce, and Walnut stain. They are beautiful! You can do a lot of natural stone or woody effects with those colors. They are much easier to blend imo! I can't find any others in stock currently but I'll definitely add a blue and another green when I can . If you look close at Tim's swatch book of these inks compared to reg Distress (It's on one of the CHA videos), you'll get a good sense of what the colors look like once water is applied to see which ones you like � many of them are quite different from their counterpart in the regular line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you everyone for your input. I did order the ones Lydia suggested and added Wilted Violet. Didn't order the reinkers until I see if I even like them.

Ellen Hutson does have them stock at the "moment". They do go out of stock as quick as they are coming in so wouldn't wait if you want to order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I've just done a blog post about these inkpads, and one thing I have to say to you is that they don't blend in the same way that normal Distress pads do. These are quite opaque compared to Distress pads.
Your blog post is what convinced me to order all of them. I love my distress inks, markers, sprays and paints. I can't wait for my pads to get here.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

In terms of reinkers I would suppose they are more like pigment inks. Even my pigment ink pads I use just for stamping require a lot more reinking than my dye inks. Since these are a pigment hybrid and they are made to be used for backgrounds I think reinking is going to be a reality. I ordered fewer of the colors but ordered the reinkers for them. I would think that ordering them without the reinkers is fine until you see if you even like them. For me, not having a reinker is like not having a spare tire, so I will probably be including bunches of unused reinkers of all sorts in my will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I think I'd have to agree with you maryalena, about needing reinkers. I didn't order any as I wanted to see if I liked them, and would use them sufficiently. Jury is still out there, need some more playtime, but at the moment, post lung surgery has left me without either the get up and go, or the mojo, to do much. Personally, I reckon my mojo is lay on a beach somewhere, totally off his face on morphine! But I digress.
I do think the pads seemed much drier than regular Distress Pads,they have always been a really wet inkpad, so I think you are right, they are going to need much more frequent reinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I can't imagine anything much more energy draining than lung surgery.
So far I have never had to buy a second reinker for anything but if I love these oxides I suppose that could happen. I barely use my pigment ink pads and yet I have to reink them periodically. They just seem to dry up. I ordered my oxides from A Cherry on Top but they don't even have their second shipment yet so I can only make suppositions. It's not even time to stalk my mailbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Just ordered some from Scrapbook.com. They have them in stock...at the moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Only a guess here, as humidity is something we will never suffer from in the UK, lol, but I suspect that may also play a part in the required reinking of these. Although they are the same material as normal DI pads, and not foam like all my other chalk/pigment pads, how dry they felt from new,really stood out to me. I rather think my next crafting purchase is going to be reinkers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I can't decide whether this is good news, or bad news. Just seen a post from Tim Holtz on FB,tomorrow another 12 Distress Oxide colours are being launched.
HERE.HERE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

well, I will venture it is Good News
I don't suffer from fullsetsyndrome I enjoy havingallthecolors ;)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

TH mentioned in a video that this next release will be some of the brighter colors and also that he personally selected these colors himself. Last time Ranger selected the colors except for the browns which are some of Tim's favorites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

get them all then try out my TLC challenge Swipe Your Credit card.
TLC640 ~ Swipe Your Credit Card ~ {05/29/2017} by k dunbrook at Splitcoaststampers

I started with 4...had to get more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 03:51 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
TH mentioned in a video that this next release will be some of the brighter colors and also that he personally selected these colors himself. Last time Ranger selected the colors except for the browns which are some of Tim's favorites.
Oh, funny - in a couple videos Tim said he put the inks in color families, closed his eyes and picked one from each, that it was that random. Now I wonder...

Which inks do you hope are released this time? I think some of the current colors are nicely bright - worn lipstick, spiced marmalade and broken china. And spiced marmalade can look bright yellow, depending.

That said, I wouldn't mind peacock feathers and squeezed lemonade. And tumbled glass and weathered wood, not that they're bright. And a cool gray that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 04:06 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I think I'd have to agree with you maryalena, about needing reinkers. I didn't order any as I wanted to see if I liked them, and would use them sufficiently. Jury is still out there, need some more playtime, but at the moment, post lung surgery has left me without either the get up and go, or the mojo, to do much. Personally, I reckon my mojo is lay on a beach somewhere, totally off his face on morphine! But I digress.
I do think the pads seemed much drier than regular Distress Pads,they have always been a really wet inkpad, so I think you are right, they are going to need much more frequent reinking.
Shaz, I missed that you had surgery! I'm so sorry you've had to go through such an ordeal, and hope you're feeling better all the time.

My take has been that both regular and Oxide Distress inks were similarly unjuicy, though last a good amount of time. Interestingly, in a Stamp & SB Expo class ("Blending Like a Pro"), the instructor was saying/demo-ing that the way regular Distress inks are formulated, you need to use force/pound the blending tool into the pad. It was a loud class!

OT She also demo'ed a different way of holding the tool that I tried at home. (I was a helper, not a participant.) Thumb on one side, middle finger on the other, and index finger resting lightly on the handle. She sometimes takes the handle off if using the rectangular instead of round block so the index finger is lightly resting on top. I only have round ones so after class when cleaning up I tried it both ways and without the handle it was easier; I felt more control. The power of suggestion? ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Is today the day?
Yes I thought the released colors were fairly bright also. I'm not sure what he meant. It was in that hour long video he did. He made some pretty funny comments about how Ranger didn't think oxide would fly.
I am looking forward to the softer colors but I'm sure I will find plenty to love in this next release. My new fave is a simple thing but I just love how beautifully these oxides perform with stencils. I have some Magenta stencils with fairly big open areas and the blending is the best.
Good to know that pressure is not a no no. I have also noticed that both kinds of Distress are not extremely juicy from the get go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Yup, today is the day. You can watch the video on his FB account. I'm not a member of FB but still could watch. Maybe it will be on YouTube too.

One of my LSS's gives such a great discount for your most expensive item that I'll probably buy a set. But if I only bought a few, they might be black soot, twisted citron, peacock feathers, and antique linen. Maybe lucky clover. Oh, abandoned coral maybe. That's at 2:30 p.m. Ask me again at 3:00 and the answer will change.

Part of it depends on how they oxidize, not just the color itself. I didn't use cracked pistachio much in regular Distress, but it's an absolute favorite in Oxides.

The list:
Picked raspberry
Candied applie
Abandoned coral
Wild honey
Twisted citron
Lucky clover
Peacock feathers
Salty ocean
Seedless preserves
Antique linen
Frayed burlap
Black soot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Wahoo, you scooped me. Just got the list from LSS friend. There are some seriously bright ones but some softer ones too. I have never ever used my Black Soot, mostly out of bafflement. Any ideas besides Halloween on how this might be useful?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

I think it is interesting how this has played out. In the hour long video where TH talks about Ranger's reaction to the Oxides he said this:
"Ranger has really struggled with producing this. This is an ink that they really didn't want to release, that they didn't want to come to market with. Even after the formulation was discovered, they did not think it was great. They actually referred to this as "a desperate attempt for me to bring Distress back." When I told them I wanted to call it Distress Oxide, they were like: "That's a horrible name. That sounds absolutely toxic." (4:42)"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Shaz, I missed that you had surgery! I'm so sorry you've had to go through such an ordeal, and hope you're feeling better all the time.

My take has been that both regular and Oxide Distress inks were similarly unjuicy, though last a good amount of time. Interestingly, in a Stamp & SB Expo class ("Blending Like a Pro"), the instructor was saying/demo-ing that the way regular Distress inks are formulated, you need to use force/pound the blending tool into the pad. It was a loud class!

OT She also demo'ed a different way of holding the tool that I tried at home. (I was a helper, not a participant.) Thumb on one side, middle finger on the other, and index finger resting lightly on the handle. She sometimes takes the handle off if using the rectangular instead of round block so the index finger is lightly resting on top. I only have round ones so after class when cleaning up I tried it both ways and without the handle it was easier; I felt more control. The power of suggestion? ; )
Bjeans, thank you, I'm starting to get closer to normal now, and to be honest, losing 2/3 of one lung has not affected my breathing as badly as I expected, but that may have been more down to how one registrar put things across! Some people have no communication skills, lol.
Funny, what you say about holding the tool, in my minds eye, I'm sure that Tim holds his on either side of the block, rather than holding the handle, now I think about it.
I was sure that I wasn't going to get any more Oxides, but now seeing the released colours, there may be a few I *have* to have, .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Wahoo, you scooped me. Just got the list from LSS friend. There are some seriously bright ones but some softer ones too. I have never ever used my Black Soot, mostly out of bafflement. Any ideas besides Halloween on how this might be useful?
Personally, I am absolutely thrilled that they are bringing out more colors in this line � it has become a new top favorite for stamping as well as backgrounds and other effects. I've always used Black Soot for inking edges of projects and to provide contrast in a color blend, so I think this color in the Oxide formulation will be quite useful as a top contrast color, which is how I use the Oxide Walnut Stain currently. It will also be useful (along with Picket Fence, when that comes out) to make shades or tints of colors. I am so excited, but my budget isn't LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Since Oxides stamp well - not just as backgrounds - I think it could be used for regular stamping, but in the past with regular Distress I've used a really small amount of Soot as contrast to help colors pop more. Sometimes it's just been a tiny bit of splatter, or fine broken up lines.

I bet others have other examples. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new colors are available now! I just ordered all 12 plus the reinkers at Marco's Paper. They were 20% off with free shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Bjeans, thank you, I'm starting to get closer to normal now, and to be honest, losing 2/3 of one lung has not affected my breathing as badly as I expected, but that may have been more down to how one registrar put things across! Some people have no communication skills, lol.
Funny, what you say about holding the tool, in my minds eye, I'm sure that Tim holds his on either side of the block, rather than holding the handle, now I think about it.
I was sure that I wasn't going to get any more Oxides, but now seeing the released colours, there may be a few I *have* to have, .
Shaz, I had to google "UK medicine registrar" but regardless of different terms used across the pond, you can say that again about communication skills! Losing 2/3rds of a lung sounds terrifying and is huge. And for you to be focusing on how one holds a blending tool so soon afterwards makes you a hero. I'm not a big hugger, but my goodness, {{{hugs}}}

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

I just got to playing with the 12 I have and now I NEED these 12 more! I LOVE peacock feathers, abandoned coral, and picked raspberry. YIPPEE. I CAN'T WAIT!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Oh my oh my oh my! Love that list of new colors! Is that good or bad? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still collecting the mini distress cubes. The more I see how the distress oxides are used I want them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

I have never ever used my Black Soot, mostly out of bafflement. Any ideas besides Halloween on how this might be useful?
Oh wow. Black Soot Oxide will be AMAZING for Halloween!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I think it is interesting how this has played out. In the hour long video where TH talks about Ranger's reaction to the Oxides he said this:
"Ranger has really struggled with producing this. This is an ink that they really didn't want to release, that they didn't want to come to market with. Even after the formulation was discovered, they did not think it was great. They actually referred to this as "a desperate attempt for me to bring Distress back." When I told them I wanted to call it Distress Oxide, they were like: "That's a horrible name. That sounds absolutely toxic." (4:42)"
I didn't watch the video, but I don't understand why he would want this information public. Product development must be hard, messy and risky and it sounds like he is badmouthing them. Is that the idea you got?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I think he meant it more as ranger was totally surprised at how well the product really was and was different from distress inks after all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

May have something to do with Tim no longer being Ranger's Creative Director but Signature Designer behind the alcohol and distress ink line of products. ????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

I didn't think he was badmouthing them. To me it was more like they are just straightforward with each other. They have been working together for a lot of years. They took a risk and did it and both came out winners. He said it in a good natured way. That was my take anyway. I do think they were surprised because they had to add shifts and ramp up fast once they saw how it took off.

I will be interested to see how Blackspot Soot is used. It's not a color I use much in regular Distress but it looked really interesting on the swatches he showed in the video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, good. That just goes to show how typing something out doesn't always convey the true meaning as well as in person (or on video.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I didn't think he was badmouthing them. To me it was more like they are just straightforward with each other. They have been working together for a lot of years. They took a risk and did it and both came out winners. He said it in a good natured way. That was my take anyway. I do think they were surprised because they had to add shifts and ramp up fast once they saw how it took off.

I will be interested to see how Blackspot Soot is used. It's not a color I use much in regular Distress but it looked really interesting on the swatches he showed in the video.
I saw the same video (there were several) and agree he wasn't badmouthing Ranger at all - just a humorous "told you so!" like you'd laughingly say to a friend or spouse or partner. Winner winner chicken dinner...

Back to black: Lately I've seen quite a few clean and simple cards that use black to set off bright colors. For example, black and white striped background with lime green, or a black card base border.

A lovely, soft card that inspired me was used a few black ink splatters. (I CASEd about half of it, didn't use the black.) A photo of Els' work is attached.

My take is that Soot can be used in the same way, if you're not into cards with much black. For droplets, just smoosh on a craft mat, mist and pick up with a paint brush, tap the brush on another brush if you don't want to injure your finger. ; )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

I heard that talk, too.

Of course, Ranger struggled with the original Distress Inks as well. The couldn't believe that Tim wanted an ink that would be so reactive to water. Why would anyone want an ink that didn't stay put? The first inks were all browns, introduced at CHA, and Ranger didn't even make up real labels for them, they just ran some on an inkjet printer and told Tim that no matter what, he should remember that not every new product is a success.

The rest, as they say, is history. The inks were an instant runaway hit.

I watched yesterday's intro to the new Oxides. And decided I would buy "a few". And started a list. Which I keep adding to. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes