Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tape to hold die to cardstock b4 running thru machine?

i am new to card making and am looking for a type of tape that isn't TOO sticky but can hold my die in place when i am running it through my diecutter. I don't have a magnetic platform but when watching some youtube videos i see people using a yellow tape to gently affix the die to the paper? any one know what i am talking about? Thansk!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the yellow tape you're seeing, but I like to use washi tape. It has just the right amount of hold but removes easily.

welcome to card making!

ETA: in a pinch, I'll use a bit of painters tape, but have found I need to pull it off more carefully or things can tear.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 02-13-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Jennifer McGuire uses medical tape, aka Micropore Tape. I think I got a box on Amazon - had about 12 rolls. Works great, comes off easily. Much cheaper than washi tape, unless you have lots of extra you wouldn't use otherwise! ;-o
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

The yellow tape might be "frog tape", which is also used by painters in masking. My husband borrowed my Frog Tape (which I use to attach watercolor paper to my wood cutting board for watercoloring) a few times, so I bought him his own roll. :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 02:16 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Post-it tape is another possibility - I don't like to use anything much stickier than a Post-it note!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 03:11 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I use removable Scotch tape. That comes off the easiest for me. I also use the micropore medical paper tape like Jennifer McQuire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

thank you all so much! everyone here is so helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I mostly use washi tape. It can be found on line or in a big box craft store. You don't need much on a small die, and it can even be used more than once. I've also tried removable Scotch tape. I save Micropore for other things.

The yellow tape is a very low-tack painters tape. Mine is almost an inch wide, so I don't use it for die cutting. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/FrogTape-2802...ords=Frog+tape

BTW, I only use tape when putting a die on an already cut up or small piece of cardstock so the die has to be precisely placed, or when needing to tape nesting dies together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 05:12 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

BTW, Frog tape is at my closest Home Depot, which happens to be the smallest HD in the country (really), so may be at yours, if you have one and want the tape. I use it to make borders on cards where ink or watercolors don't belong.

(Just realized and shaking my head at how I have every tape mentioned here, and that the entire top level of my Raskog cart contains adhesives and foam adhesives. My life revolves around glue.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

All of these are good, but be aware that if your tape goes onto the face of the die-cut part you will use on your card, the edge of it can make a dent in the die-cut. Or if you are using the outside part of the die-cut (cutting a hole in your panel) the same can show up there.
I have ruined several die-cuts with tape impressions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
All of these are good, but be aware that if your tape goes onto the face of the die-cut part you will use on your card, the edge of it can make a dent in the die-cut. Or if you are using the outside part of the die-cut (cutting a hole in your panel) the same can show up there.
I have ruined several die-cuts with tape impressions.
Harvestmoon, may I ask which type of tape you were using? Maybe because washi is so light, I've never seen lines.

I'm having a little trouble picturing your two scenarios though. I'm sure it's me, not your explanation. This is when being together in person could help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's happened to me, Beth (unintended marks from tape holding a die in place). It happens when I've needed to run a die through more than once. I'm not sure the washi tape has been a problem (and I agree with you about being able to reuse washi tape ... I have several pieces stuck to the top of my bug waiting to be put to good use, lol). I don't recall washi lines, but I know I've had the raggedy edge of the painter's tape show up and have thought, 'hmmmmm, someday I should play around with using this as a background design.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Jeanie, years ago my husband asked me if I ever got a foot cramp if I moved my foot in a certain way. I hadn't. But I did within a couple days after he told me.

So now that I've read about this tape/impression issue, guaranteed it will happen. And I agree, sounds like a neat background. . .

... and now that you said that, are embossing folders made with no design - just flat? It would be neat adding tape or strips of paper or crinkled foil or something taped down to make your own pattern. But that's OT. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I've made impression plates with die cuts and chipboard - I'm sure it would work!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

It has been some time since I used tape, because I have a magnetic plate now, but I think it was low-tack painter's tape. I think I used Post-It notes, too.
I mentioned this problem, because Original Poster said she did not have a magnetic plate.
If you put the tape on the wide side (opposite cutting blade) of your die, then onto the area of cardstock you are Not using in your creation, then an impression won't damage your cut piece....She did say she's a beginner, and may not have experimented much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have tried them all - micropore tape, washi, Frog tape....they all have a "fuss factor" that drove me nuts.

Some of them would stick too much to the cs (not every time, but enough to make me jittery!) and they would remove a layer of the cs. Ugh. Others were too darn hard to get started on the roll and a pain to peel off the cs and the die after the cut was made (micro pore and washi.)

The ONLY tape product that I will use and that hasn't been an issue with sticking too much is Post-It Labeling tape on the roll. It is easy to get off the roll, it tears by hand if you need to, and has never damaged my projects or caused a fuss to get off.
Here's a link to the product on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Post-Adhesive...on%2Broll&th=1

Walmart used to carry this with the dispenser, but now only carries refill rolls without the dispenser. It isn't necessary to have a dispenser because it tears really easily, and the bright colors make it easy to find on the desk top. Note about buying this in Amazon: the cost between different colors can vary dramatically. Usually the bright yellow is the least expensive at under $3 with Prime free ship. It lasts a long time and I find that I use it for labeling projects in progress and to add info to watercolor projects showing colors used, etc.

I always have several rolls of this on hand and I use it all around the house for labeling "stuff". What I really like about it is that it sticks enough to stay where you put it, but it easy easy to peel off when the need arises. The brand x version of this product does not have good adhesion, it falls off and is useless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #17  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I second Susy and Post It tape! I use it for everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Another vote for Post-IT tape and Eclipse tape (more expensive). I've had problems with every kind of tape except these two. This is one of the reasons I usually put my die cut side up and the good side of the paper down onto the die so if the tape sticks too much it will ruin the back side. I use a piece of tape over and over until it's too small to hold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

True Post-It Note fan here ....

I have used ugly-can't-be-loved washi from time to time, but it's harder to peel off the die sometimes & that just never happens with Post-It.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I mostly use washi tape. It can be found on line or in a big box craft store. You don't need much on a small die, and it can even be used more than once. I've also tried removable Scotch tape. I save Micropore for other things.

The yellow tape is a very low-tack painters tape. Mine is almost an inch wide, so I don't use it for die cutting. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/FrogTape-2802...ords=Frog+tape

BTW, I only use tape when putting a die on an already cut up or small piece of cardstock so the die has to be precisely placed, or when needing to tape nesting dies together.
I reach for the washi tape since I have it and it doesn't make it on my cards or journals... I always forget to use it for those purposes. And Scotch removable tape...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,021 Likes on 773 Posts

I cut a post it note into four pieces and just put the sticky part over the die. Never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
I don't know about the yellow tape you're seeing, but I like to use washi tape. It has just the right amount of hold but removes easily.

welcome to card making!

ETA: in a pinch, I'll use a bit of painters tape, but have found I need to pull it off more carefully or things can tear.
I agree about the painters tape, learned through experience...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I reach for the washi tape since I have it and it doesn't make it on my cards or journals... I always forget to use it for those purposes. And Scotch removable tape...

As for the washi tape I pick couple of rolls when I see it on clearance and half off...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

the blue painters tape works really well. I found the frog tape at hobby lobby( used by art students) in the clearance section for 74 cents a roll............score. I tried washi tape but I am not happy with it not sticking very well...........so glad I found the frog tape.
Reply With Quote Likes