Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any experience having a Stampin Up Party

A friend of mine and I are fans of Stampin' Up! products and thought it might be fun to host a party. When my friend talked to a demonstator about the details we did not realize that there is a supply fee (that can be waived with purchase) as well as guests pay shipping on their orders. My question is what is the benefit of hosting a party? For those that have had one, what are your thoughts? I have hosted parties by other companies (not stamping related) and one of the perks was free shipping for those who purchased products at the party.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

First of all, not every demo charges a supply fee, but you should understand that the supplies she is using are coming out of her own pocket. Orders are how she earns money.
Stampin Up offers different specials from time to time. In ten years, I think I've seen a free shipping special once......maybe twice.
The benefit of hosting a party is that you earn free product based on the amount of sales generated at your party.
Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

As lynnewithane says, not every demo charges a supply fee so you could certainly check around your area to find one who does not. I'd guess that the demo who charges a fee is simply trying to make sure that she is not the free evening's entertainment. You might be surprised at how often that seems to happen.

As for free shipping, if the customers don't pay for it, the demonstrator does. Again, there may be demos out there who offer it anyhow.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lindylou1220:
fl_beachbum (07-02-2021), stampforjoy (07-28-2021)
Old 02-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh how fun! I host a party/workshop/card class every fall, I have only missed a couple in 13 years when we were busy building a house or something I have had some hugely successful ones where an earned a lot of product, some not as much but so fun. I would say that over half of my early stash came from free product. Since then I haven't had quite as many come the past 5 or 6 years but that's just fine. And inspiring! I usually want to go create once I have tidied up. There is something about crafting together.

I will toss some things out as I think of them:

*my demo charges 10$ to make 3 cards, provides and preps everything plus adds in the envelopes. If you order, you don't pay the 10$ The hostess doesn't pay anyway, it is she who gets the workshop together. Demo provides adhesive and scissors even, for the workshops although most of us use/bring our own.

She usually asks me what genre of cards I would like to make, seasonal, masculine and feminine with choice of sentiments are my go-to's.

I prep a light snack and people mill about getting something to eat while others start to order. Usually my workshops go from 1:00 to around 3:30, including eating time. Unless there is a particularly new stamper who needs more time.

I hope you go ahead and have a workshop! Ask friends or coworkers, particularly if they know your cards already. Make a simple invite using a stamp, designer paper maybe, a typed invite giving the time, date, etc. I stick a piece of magnet on the back of the invite so the person can put it on their fridge to remember. Put an RSVP date on it so you can let your demo know numbers for prep.

If I think of anything else, I will post again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

I have never heard of a demo charging a supply fee at a SU party, and I would never expect a demo to offer free shipping. My understanding of a party, at least the ones I went to, is the demo brings supplies for guests to make a couple basic cards to introduce the products to guests and teach basic stamping. The host provides snacks and earns rewards based on sales. Usually the demo gives the host a hand stamped gift, and some do door prizes or games.

A class is different...more complex projects and a class fee is charged. My demo always does over the top cards with lovely embellishments and provides envelopes. She also puts out all kinds of food and drink. I think she loses all her profit on putting on her event! Sometimes with a certain order amount, a demo will waive the class fee. Maybe she needs to clarify with you whether she is doing a party or a class! My experience is that more demos are doing classes (fee) so at least they break even. Like others have said, some people will book a party to do the free projects and have no intention of ordering anything. I have been invited to parties where I don't have a burning interest in the product, but I can always find something in return for the night out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 03:01 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard from a demo who charges at a party either. That said all the demos I know really don't do parties...they offer monthly classes where they do charge and they get the hostess benefits!

i can see both sides of the issue. I can't really see inviting friends to a SU party and telling them there is a cost. I wonder how well that works.

I agree, I'd never expect a demo to offer free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

My demo charges if you don't order, and I don't blame her! This hobby is not cheap and I can definitely see people taking advantage of make and take for free. My demo charges $6.00 if we don't order (for two cards), and offers a 5% discount if we place an order. I am not crazy about paying shipping and handling, but really, if I order online, I pay shipping and handling as well, so really, no difference. Also, shipping to Canada from some companies can be ridiculously expensive, so if I order, I shop around for the best price, have emptied many baskets when the s&h is tallied on! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

It appears that there is some confusion about what is a party vs class vs workshop.

My previous post where I talk about hosting my workshop, my demo charges 10$ for 3 cards, for all materials and prep. That seems very fair to me, it's her time and product we are using and keeping the cards from that product. When she hosts what she she calls a card class, she charges 10$, again for 3 cards using all her own product. She generally teaches a new technique as well. The card class she usually holds in her own home. AGain, she waives the fee if you place an order.

I'm unsure what you consider a party. If you don't think it is fair to charge for a party, would that be a event when you don't actually make something to take home? In that case, no I would not expect to pay. For example if I go to a Steeped tea or Pampered Chef party, I look at the catalogue and product, maybe sample a couple goodies. I choose to order or not. I would not pay to attend a party of that sort.

I have never heard of SU products only being presented by looking, not actually using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 838 Likes on 277 Posts

My definition of a workshop:the hostess invites all of her friends to join her to make a card or two that the demonstrator has designed. The expectation is that the hostess and her guests will each place an order to reach enough in sales for the hostess to earn free product. Sometimes the demo will ask for a small fee to offset the cost of supplies. Most of the time though there is no charge.

A party or class is typically fee-based. I offer classes for anywhere between $10-$40. I do not expect the attendees to place an order but I won't refuse them if they do want to place an order.

I know some demos have started charging a small fee for workshops because they have lost too much money due to people not ordering. So they will charge the fee but then deduct it off of the orders she receives.

If you want to earn free stuff then have a workshop. If you just want to make stuff then invite your friends to join you in a private fee-based
class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 05:35 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
My definition of a workshop:the hostess invites all of her friends to join her to make a card or two that the demonstrator has designed. The expectation is that the hostess and her guests will each place an order to reach enough in sales for the hostess to earn free product. Sometimes the demo will ask for a small fee to offset the cost of supplies. Most of the time though there is no charge.

A party or class is typically fee-based. I offer classes for anywhere between $10-$40. I do not expect the attendees to place an order but I won't refuse them if they do want to place an order.

I know some demos have started charging a small fee for workshops because they have lost too much money due to people not ordering. So they will charge the fee but then deduct it off of the orders she receives.

If you want to earn free stuff then have a workshop. If you just want to make stuff then invite your friends to join you in a private fee-based
class.
Okay, interesting the different perspective of what events are called! The way you describe your various kinds of SU makes sense in regards to charging or not. Seems to be an understanding, perhaps more of a local or individual way of labelling what kind of event a person is planning. Thanks for your explanation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just order my Stampin Up products online, but do have a demo that I really like. She offers lots of great specials. I went to one last Fall where she was selling products and whatever you spent was then applied to your order. Not sure if I'm explaining this well. I purchased $60 worth of products and then got to order a bundle for $60 and I only had to pay the shipping fee. I think SU shipping fees are reasonable. I'm in Canada too, and I set my shipping limit at $10. Recently I saw a set of dies online that I really wanted at $30, and when I went to place the order they were charging $25 to ship to Canada. As much as I wanted the set I can't really justify paying another $25 U.S. for shipping. Wafer dies are not large and very light, so I don't understand why the shipping would be so much. I average spending about $100/month on supplies, and this company won't be getting my business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never heard of a demo charging for a party, only workshops. I can understand why she charges because a lot of hostess will tell their friends, don't worry you don't have to buy anything and they don't. The Demo is out the cost of materials, her time to design, and drive to the event. The party has low sales and the hostess is out free products. So, if you decide to have a party, talk it up about how great SU is, how much fun they will have, and what snacks you'll have. Considering making a little candy treat for guests. Everyone will have a great time, you'll get some free things, the demo will make some money. All in all, it can be a win-win.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Demo and I would NEVER charge the hostess for having a party that is just crazy!! But if I held a class that would be different,
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
ChrisO (07-02-2021)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The very first party I attended, the demo made a couple of cards while we, the guests, watched. She explained everything to us as she went along and then gave the hostess the cards as a thank you gift for having the party. One of the samples, in addition to the 2 cards, was a small magnetic bookmark. All the attendees got to make the simple bookmark. We took turns making it while we looked through the catalog. The demo did not charge to attend but it was expected there would be orders so the hostess would receive free gifts.

If you and your friend are both hosting, it could get complicated splitting the benefits. If you host now while SAB is going on you get free stuff with every $50 purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
The very first party I attended, the demo made a couple of cards while we, the guests, watched. She explained everything to us as she went along and then gave the hostess the cards as a thank you gift for having the party. One of the samples, in addition to the 2 cards, was a small magnetic bookmark. All the attendees got to make the simple bookmark. We took turns making it while we looked through the catalog. The demo did not charge to attend but it was expected there would be orders so the hostess would receive free gifts.

If you and your friend are both hosting, it could get complicated splitting the benefits. If you host now while SAB is going on you get free stuff with every $50 purchase.
Now that you mention it, my first ever introduction was like that! My niece was the demo and I went to her moms. She did make the cards, we didn't. But I remember using a ink roller and stamp and we made a small gift bag out of a large white envelope. I was mesmerized! It seemed magical to me.

I think I have always hosted workshops where everyone gets to make cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Love these posts about the first time you picked up a stamp! It was like magic to me, too! I still have the first card I ever made. It was a barely banana cardstock base, and the stamped image was a big dragonfly circa 1999 stamped on confetti white in navy ink, and matted on night of navy. The demo had us tear the edges of the two layers by hand...no tool required! Fell in love with stamping and never looked back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I was a demo/consultant for 3 direct sales companies: PartyLite, Stampin' Up, and The Angel Company. I didn't charge for parties that were hosted by others. I gave away prizes for games, and I used my supplies. Occasionally, the parties did very well. However, most of the time, I ended up losing money. There was one party I did that had 7 attendees, and the total sales were under $100. Between the gas and tolls - not to mention my supplies and time investment - I lost a good amount of money.

I totally understand why demos would charge up front, and then deduct the fee from any orders placed. If I were to do it again, that's what I would do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

It is the nature of stamping.
People are used to Scentsy, Party Lite, lingerie, etc. Those parties just have the overhead of drive time and tolls. No need to charge a fee.
Stamping is unique in that the demonstrator is putting out money for the evenings entertainment. I guess Pampered Chef is like that as well, but I think the hostess buys the food for the evening.
People are just not used to the idea that the demo/consultant is spending their own money on the evening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2021, 05:27 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I go to a workshop once a month. We are charged $13. to make and take 3 cards, and she provides a snack (usually something freshly baked). All pieces to the cards are included, with an envelope. We supply our own tape, but she has the inks, stamps, dies, scissors, glue dots, pop ups, etc. She also has a name drawn gift after each workshop. Depending on how many attend, usually 1-2 names are drawn. (She also uses her own stamping platform and die cutting machines.- we only have to show up with adhesive). She has a punch card, and after 6 classes the next one is free. She also sells her retired sets of stamps/dies at a discount.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes