Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2017, 05:12 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in company 😔

I haven't stamped for awhile but have recently began to be crafty again! Yay! I saw mention of a company called Papertry Ink on a blog or some item used for a card etc as I browsed the net for some ideas. Last week I went to their site and they were having a great sale- the banner said it ran "January 15-31". I put about 20 items in my cart over a few days as I thought of ideas (mostly papers for a scrapbook project). I went to check out Tuesday evening (Jan 31) at 10:30 EST. All the sale prices were gone. I emailed asking what the problem was. The next day was this reply:
Thank you for your email. The sale ended at 10:00 PM ET as stated on the sale information page. I'm so sorry you missed it. If you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

So I asked where exactly on the website this was stated (there is no "sale information page") as I had been on the site several times and never saw a time attached with the date. I was told "it was announced with the sale dates on social media".

I have emailed several times and they don't get it. I don't follow them on social media (had never heard of the company anyway). How would someone know this when shopping on their site, which is a different entity? Maybe it's just me, but what a deceptive practice. And they don't understand I'm more upset about the bad practice than the actual prices. Here's my last email to them:

You have obviously missed the point and don't understand good customer service. I'm more upset about your false advertising on a public shopping site then missing out on the items. If I walk into a brick and mortar store, their sale prices will end at midnight on advertised day or when the store closes. As an Internet site that doesn't "close", not stating a DIFFERENT end time along with dates on the WEBSITE is deceptive. Are you going to remedy this and honor the prices? Please don't reply with some pandering response. Will you, as a representative of this company, provide customer service to a first time customer who spends many dollars on crafting items or lose a customer?

Sorry to vent, but in a digital age it seems wrong for a company to not examine a bad online practice. Thanks for letting me share my frustration! 💙
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, when the sale was posted on the website, it should have stated an end time. I don't feel that even "midnight" should be assumed, because midnight in which time zone?

However, I would be very surprised if they agree to honor the sale prices. If you do a google search for "Papertrey Ink customer service issues", you'll find lots of problems. Although it's been a while since I've seen a complaint; I assumed they maybe made some corrections. It could be that I haven't seen a complaint, though, because I've stopped even visiting their website because of the problems in the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Over the years there have been many threads regarding Papertrey Ink and their horrible customer service. There have also been responses from others who have had great experiences. I have no personal experience either way, but have noticed one pattern that doesn't seem to change: once they have adopted a certain posture regarding any issue, they never, ever, ever, ever, never change their mind.

I understand your frustration - especially about the point being missed entirely - but don't expect a different outcome any time soon. I agree it's very deceptive if the only place you post the date/time of anything is on social media. It ABSOLUTELY should be clearly stated on the website itself, as you've pointed out. I'm sorry that your first experience with this company was so negative - they do have some really outstanding products. Too bad the customer service isn't equally outstanding...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with what Sue said. I've also seen many threads through the years about the customer service at Papertrey Ink. I don't think people's complaints have changed the policies at PTI very much, if any.

I've ordered from them through the years, as they do have some appealing products. Fortunately, I've been lucky with my orders and never needed to complain.

I'm sorry about your situation, and good for you for speaking up, although it may fall on deaf ears.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

So what happens if they ship the wrong thing, or something is missing, or something is damaged? Do they take care of those kinds of things?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
So what happens if they ship the wrong thing, or something is missing, or something is damaged? Do they take care of those kinds of things?
From what I remember reading on all those past threads complaining - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Luck of the draw, it seems.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Hi, I'm so sorry you missed getting the things you wanted at the sale prices.

If I remember correctly, the sale dates and ending time were on the main page when first accessing the store. The sale ran for just over two weeks.

It won't help you feel any better right now, but I've experienced losing a sale price when shopping at a well-known craft company on the west coast. I placed an order once, with a message that the sale prices were not showing up. I fully expected to get an adjustment, but their polite response was that the sale had ended before my order was placed. I went back and checked, and they were right. I bore the responsibility for not paying more attention and finding out the details. I still order from them, but now make definite note of the ending time.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you are interested in previous rants, here's one: Buyer Beware : Papertrey Ink by NuttyScrapper at Splitcoaststampers
You can judge for yourself...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm an occasional customer with PTI. They sent me an email on January 15th stating:

This special sale will kick off on Release Night (TONIGHT), 10pm ET, and run through 10pm ET, January 31st.

So, they did tell their current customers. It is unusual to end a sale at 10:00 p.m., and I completely understand your disappointment.

My experience has been that when an issue is clear cut, they will fix it. However, they will not go out of their way to provide special service.

I accidentally placed the same order 3 times. I emailed customer service right away explaining that I never got a message saying that the order went through, but when I checked PayPal and my CC, the charge had gone through. I sent a list of the items that I wanted and asked that they send me just one set of items and cancel two of the charges. They did exactly that and were very polite about it.

But my request was easy to fix.

They won't do anyone any favors. For example, if you use any kind of discount and your order falls below the free shipping minimum, they will charge you for the shipping. And they will not refund the shipping.

On the other hand, if you have a good Stampin Up demonstrator, he or she will bend over backward to answer your questions and provide you with service -- but you definitely pay for it. PTI's products are significantly cheaper.

Your SU demo will assist you with returns, pay to send you paper catalogs and sometimes send freebies. But, again, you pay for it in the price of the products.

The quality is also very high. The dies are all pre-separated -- no need for wire snips. The cutting edge is often right at the edge of the die for perfect alignment. Stamps and dies come in storage containers/pouches, not plastic bags or paper envelopes.

I personally prefer PTI's designs to SU, and I feel comfortable shopping without assistance. I am also willing to forgo the convenience of perfect alignment and pre-separated dies in order to save money (read: buy more).

I still buy from SU from time to time. I love my demonstrator.

Two stores that have fabulous products and consistently get rave reviews:

www.ellenhutson.com
ScrapbookPal.com Copic Sketch Markers, Lawn Fawn and More!

Ellen Hutson has a huge assortment of products from all of the top brands like Altenew and Mama Elephant. They always include a length of satin ribbon and a thank you note in my orders.

Scrapbook Pal has fantastic discounts on all of their items, and free shipping starting at just $25. They often give away a free item with your order. I recently received a Gina Marie hedgehog die. Currently, they're offering a Sakura Gelly Roll pen. Their offerings are more limited, but, among other brands, they carry Avery Elle and Lawn Fawn.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience and hoping that you can have some fun spending your crafty dollars somewhere else : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:54 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

This us why I love SCS. You can see views from both sides. I've always been one not to jump to conclusions or rush to judgement. I like being able to see both sides of an issue (which often makes me wish washy).
Thank you for all of the information, ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 03:51 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I will say I have ordered years ago from PTI, never had a problem. I read the bad reviews and stayed clear for a long time.
Recently ordered again: never had a problem yet.
While that doesn't minimize those that have had problems, it does say they aren't all bad either. I would rate them no more no less than other online retailers. But that's just my $.02.

I will say, the sale did have beginning and ending times in everything I saw. I do follow their blog and social media, but I swore it was on the main sale page as well, maybe you just overlooked it? I can see them holding to the time, since it was posted, I don't think there is anything to "fix" in this case, just a case of misunderstanding. I don't say that snarky at all, so I hope that comes through. They are supposed to have an anniversary sale in March (this was the PRE sale) so maybe you can still snag some good deals then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll only order from PTI as a last resort and I know I'm taking my chances.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 04:42 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you waited to place your order at literally the eleventh hour, then I can pretty much promise you that whatever was in your shopping cart was long gone by that time anyway. The sale was "while supplies last", and the store did sell out of many items quickly.

I love Papertrey Ink, and have never had problems with all my years of ordering. If I ever have an issue that needs customer service, it's usually something that was my fault, and they've always rectified my mistakes for me.

I'm sorry you had a rough experience for your first time ordering from them. I would suggest trying them again in the future, maybe at a time when their staff isn't overloaded from a once-in-a-decade sale.

Good luck!
maryrose
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 04:48 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did visit their site during the sale and it was stated how long and at what time the sale would end, but there wasn't anything I wanted so it was no big deal for me. I have learned the hard way...the really upsetting hard way! to read everything when it comes to a sale or shipping or store policies. I've assumed things way too many times and had my heart broken!

I haven't had a very serious problem with Papertrey Ink. I get that if I order on a release night I may not get everything I want due to high demand, but overall I like their stamps, inks and cardstock and have had good experiences with them.

Last edited by klh54; 02-03-2017 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: second paragraph didn't print
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

After reading bad reviews here and other places, I steered clear of them. Then I I looked at their website and they have very nice unique products. I have ordered from them several times without issues. I did have one fairly minor issue which they did fix but not graciously or friendly. I got the sense that they felt they were doing me a big favor and could care less that I was a good customer. I probably would have ordered a lot more from them if they were nicer. However, that said I think the sale times were posted on ther website in this case so I doubt they will do anything for you,. They do not strike me as a company that goes out of their way for anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If you are interested in previous rants, here's one: Buyer Beware : Papertrey Ink by NuttyScrapper at Splitcoaststampers
You can judge for yourself...
Wow. I woke up at 4:30 am last night, and read myself back to sleep reading the first page of this thread.
There's a difference between poor customer service, and actually treating people badly. They seem to have crossed the line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Just keep in mind that thread is 5 years old. I'm not defending them but it's possible their attitude has changed over time, learning more about customer service? It was post like those that kept me away for years. I haven't had any issues so far and I do cross my fingers but I cross my fingers when I order from any online vender.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's true that the thread started in 2012, but it gets resurrected periodically because of ongoing issues, apparently. The most recent post to that particular thread was last June...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I have ordered many, many times from Papertrey with no issues at any time. I did contact customer service one time when I had lost a die and they responded in a timely manner with a response that answered my question. My orders arrive in a timely manner and are carefully packed with 0 errors. I'm still waiting for a response from my LSS as I am trying to order something from them and it has been several weeks. I will try again with them and I will still shop there as they are human beings and email's can get lost. I try to give businesses several opportunities as that is what I would want for myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I read the time on the website, and it was in the email, though that wouldn't help nonsubscribers.

I've purchased from PTI, and email responses have been prompt and friendly. But I haven't had to work through any problems. I like their sample color paper sets, and think some of their stamps are unique (Splits) and have great price points (like Mini's). I often mistakenly put an item in a cart more than once, so if it's PTI, I do double/triple check myself!

Obviously, a company can treat us how they want, within the law. And they'll reap the benefits or negativity since we can vote with our feet, aka fingers/keyboards. I admit I'm not real comfortable using a 4- or 5-year-old thread, unless it's to compare one's experience to see if it aligns. Because an old thread exists, it may be easier to pile on? I mean in general, NOT for the original poster here, since she apparently didn't know about that thread. But I'd guess people have complaints about other companies too.

For example, I stopped shopping at Altenew because of slow or no CS response, unanswered phones, or emailed responses that didn't make sense. (I wondered if it might be a language issue.) There were also minor ink issues. Nothing horrible, maybe disorganized or lack of staff? If I wanted something of theirs I'd buy it from Ellen Hutson or another company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I just want to add a comment regarding Post #9, above, about shipping cost.

If using a discount (reward points) at PTI causes the total $ amount to fall below the free shipping threshold, then shipping is charged. That policy is pretty universal, from craft companies to other retailers like Kohl's or Macy's.

MFT and Ellen Hutson are highly regarded on this forum as having excellent customer service. I order from both regularly, always with discount codes. If the discount drops the order below the free shipping minimum, then a shipping charge pops into the cart total. That's my signal to add more to the cart! :-)

Anyway, on that particular item, PTI's policy is not out of the ordinary.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been ordering from PTI for several years and, fortunately, I haven't had any issues. I think their stamps are good quality and their Stampers Select white cardstock is my number one choice due to a combination of quality and price. I just received an order of several packages of that cardstock yesterday. When I opened the package, I said aloud, "Wow, this is really packaged well," and my husband asked if I was being sarcastic. I was sincere and showed him how protected the paper was with the edges bound tightly with corrugated cardboard, surrounded by thick bubble wrap, and placed in a well fitting heavy cardboard box. However, when I pulled out my first sheet of cardstock, I was surprised how it felt different than all of the packages I've used before over the years--thinner, more bendable. Previously, the cardstock was super sturdy. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problems for me with PTI. I started shopping with them in 2014. I had one issue with an incorrect die and it was replaced without issue. They were sold out of everything fairly fast except the kits that they would make more of and they really weren't on sale, just made available. It was an epic sale if patterned paper and ribbon were on your wish list. I was able to get a re-release of a kit I had missed. Times were stated but may have been more obvious to those of us that are familiar with how they post things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I read about their customer service issues several years ago here at SCS. I steered clear of them. Then I was curious to see their stamps, etc. & went into their site. Couldn't find one thing I really liked, shop from many other sites that have excellent service, good prices, and no drama. Am very glad I didn't waste money with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I have to agree with the others, I used to shop from Papertrey a lot but stopped after frustration with customer service. This was around the time the ink formula changed, I think I had ordered a lot of new inks and they were just awful and/or took forever to get shipped. I've forgotten now. It took forever it seemed like to get responses and I remember having to ship things back on my own dime (even if it wasn't my mistake).

Seems like a lot of info used to be posted on the blog but not the website, which (IMHO) adds to confusion as if customers are to be expected to read through every blog post to know the rules.

Sales are rare, and I wouldn't expect them to retroactively honor the sale price even though you missed it by 30 minutes.

:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 04:08 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

HoosierMama, when did they change inks?

I understand PTI had a bunch of CS problems and maybe still has some, but not honoring a sale price after the sale has ended, when it's been posted on the site, seems fairly standard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I've read about problems with PTI, but have never experienced any myself. I have had one problem with an order (I accidentally placed two of the same die in my cart and didn't notice it until I had already completed checkout) and was able to have the order corrected before it was shipped.

I have received excellent customer service. I once ordered many, many pieces of felt during a sale, and it was shipped without the color names. A couple dozen different rolls of felt and no name on any of them! I sent PTI an email explaining that, since the felt wasn't labeled, there was no way for me to know which color(s) I like best and might want to reorder in the future.

CS asked me to send pictures of the colors and they'd attempt to match them to names. Seriously, I sent them pictures of all the felt (in color groups, so they'd see the relative differences) and someone at their end matched the colors to names and sent that info back to me. I was impressed.

Now, it would absolutely be easier if PTI would ship items with names & item numbers on them. It is my only complaint. Dies (and rolls of felt, amongst other things) come in unlabeled zipper baggies. It drives me crazy because I usually place just a few large orders a year, so there may very well be dozens of dies in an order. I have to sit in front of the computer and match the dies to the name & item number on their site so I can label them myself for my inventory list (which is supposed to keep me from buying duplicates).

I would also love it if items that coordinated, like dies & stamps, had that info on the packaging. Often, the name of the die doesn't give a hint as to which stamp set it goes with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #28  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
HoosierMama, when did they change inks?

I understand PTI had a bunch of CS problems and maybe still has some, but not honoring a sale price after the sale has ended, when it's been posted on the site, seems fairly standard.
There have been several iterations of ink changes but there was one big one where they didn't offer any new colors for months. I believe that was in 2015.

ETA: Actually, I think I am wrong about that date. July 2015 was when they announced they were going back to full ovals instead of tear drop shaped ink pads. I'm trying to search the PTI forum but it doesn't like the search term "ink" (maybe too few characters or something. Anyway, I did find a few posts from 2013. I'll post more info if I ever find it.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery

Last edited by purpleflowers; 02-13-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #29  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

The newest/current formulation of ink was officially announced in October, 2010.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you for being a good researcher! I was curious since I didn't remember - but it was before my time paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

The ink thing is way back but it happened twice. People had ink and inkers-some of which were OK but others were not. My remembrance is that they reformulated twice. I missed all that because I didn't start shopping with them until 2014. I think now they use the same ink manufacturer as Altenew. The only new thing with the ink is that they changed to a simpler shaped packaging of the full sized inkpads because they did not want to up the price of their ink pads. Nobody seemed to care or complain about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Interesting, thanks. Good to know, since I'm not sold on Altenew inks - I have two mini sets - but am going to use them more to see if I just need to, well, use them more. And I can't read the names on a few, though that's NBD. But people, pick a font and color that's legible when going tiny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

I have PTI inks in the cubes. Some colors ink better than others. I tend to use them more with the Misti since I can go again if I don't get a strong image. I was already migrating toward hero arts and WPlus9 inks so I didn't try the Altenew inks when they came out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

OT I like Hero Arts Shadow Inks, Ranger Archival, Studio Calico, Versafine (just got a bunch of vibrant colors) and several others (blanking), plus most Distress inks. The Altenew's seem a little dry or faint, so yes, double/triple stamping is the name of the game.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbenjamView Post
I just want to add a comment regarding Post #9, above, about shipping cost.

If using a discount (reward points) at PTI causes the total $ amount to fall below the free shipping threshold, then shipping is charged. That policy is pretty universal, from craft companies to other retailers like Kohl's or Macy's.

MFT and Ellen Hutson are highly regarded on this forum as having excellent customer service. I order from both regularly, always with discount codes. If the discount drops the order below the free shipping minimum, then a shipping charge pops into the cart total. That's my signal to add more to the cart! :-)

Anyway, on that particular item, PTI's policy is not out of the ordinary.

Mary
Hi Mary,

Just to clarify, I have never had a problem with their shipping policies, etc. And agree that it's perfectly fair to charge shipping if the order drops below the minimum. I just remember people being frustrated that this happened to them. I think there may have been a time when their website didn't notify the customer when the order dropped below the free shipping. They've gone through some growing pains, especially around 2010-2012 when they had a problem with their inks. They had so many complaints in such a short time, and they were completely unprepared to handle the onslaught. I believe they were overwhelmed, and, at times not as gracious as perhaps they should have been. All of the above is based on reading the comments written at the time, not from any personal experience.

Until recently, I have only ordered dies and stamps and have been thrilled with my purchases.

When things go wrong it's easy to feel frustrated, whether it's someone's fault or no one's fault. When we expect a joyous and fun experience, it just sucks to be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Elizabeth I think that's how it went too. I have a close friend who ordered with them from the get go and that's exactly how she described it. I imagine their ink manufacturer got a whole lot grayer by the time that was over. They finally changed forum policies because it got so combative. When I was sent the wrong file folder die I took pictures to show I had a duplicate and Julie looked up my order to make sure I had ordered just one and then she just sent me the right one without expecting the duplicate to be sent back. When I offered to send it back she said it would cost more to get it back into inventory than it was worth. That's my only CS story.
Reply With Quote Likes