Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for thick 5x7 chipboard or plastic dividers, etc.

I am in the process of tidying up my craft room and the project I'm working on right now is organizing my photos. They're in photo boxes and what I did was cut down some plain ole cardstock to use as dividers between my photos. That's been ok for the past few years but now I'm looking to get something more "substantial" to use between the photos, more sturdy. I was originally looking for something like the stamp panels we use to store cling/clear stamps. But haven't found any in a 5x7 size. (this is the size I'm looking for, I really don't want to cut anything down to size but I will if I need to) I did find 5x8 index cards but again, don't feel like cutting down a ton of things plus I want something thicker than an index card. Then I thought maybe chipboard. I've checked amazon, they even the heavy duty chipboard people have rated it "flimsy".

So I come here asking if anyone has any good ideas on what I can use in between my photos to separate them?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if the good folk at Marco Paper might help. If they don't have what you're looking for, I wonder if they might not be able to point you in the right direction. Ages ago, they were wonderfully helpful when I was doing wedding invitations for a friend and needed some unique paper requirements; gave me all sorts of info and ideas I'd not considered. They have a HUGE range of product. From other SCS comments here and there, it seems their customer support/services are still top notch. hth.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 02-01-2017 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I use cereal boxes to make dividers for a lot of things. Free and keeps them out of the landfill...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Try searching for 5x7 recipe card dividers. I saw several on Etsy but if you need a lot it could get expensive.

I use cardstock and scrapbook paper that I don't like to make my dividers. I stick 2 sheet together to give it more strength and use my large paper cutter to cut to size. I cut them to 5x8 so I have a tab. I bought a tag top punch but it's a pain. WRMK has a new that looks interesting.

I also use mat board as hubby is a photographer so I have a ton of scraps but after long use the corners get kind of fuzzy but they are very sturdy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I save the backing from and watercolor pads. They're thick and pretty sturdy and I use thick plastic folders which I cut down to size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I just did a quick check for chipboard on EBay (chipboard - scrapbooking supplies). There were lots of options for weight/thickness in 8.5 x 11 sheets, most with free shipping. One of the dealers described the various weights in easy to understand terms, so you could pick the right thickness without a lot head scratching. Of course you would have to cut the sheets yourself (or take to Kinkos), but you could get 2 dividers per sheet.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I just thought of another option if you want to have thin sturdy plastic dividers. Go to Staples or other office supply store, or even the Dollar store and search for nice mid-weight plastic folders, the kind with pockets inside. I have purchased these in the past to cut in half for handy storage for in-progress stamp projects, so I know they are easy to cut and are still durable afterwards.

This style of plastic folder is almost always on sale this time of year in the clearance bin at Staples for $1 or so. You can cut them easily with a guillotine cutter or scissors. You would be able to get at least 4 dividers from each folder and maybe another 2 dividers from the inside pockets, depending on how deep the pockets are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

These are 8x5, so they would need to be cut down, but I can tell you that this material is very sturdy and rigid; they're meant to stand up to the demands of being used in a file cabinet. https://www.amazon.com/Esselte-Corpo...rds=pressboard.

These were just the first ones I found when I searched Amazon, so they probably have others, possibly less expensive and possibly with free Prime shipping. I have some that I got from an office supply place that were full-letter-sized and a kind of off-white color. I figured that if I had to cut them down anyway (I also wanted 5x7 size), I might as well get 2 from each of the pieces. The letter-size were more expensive than the 5x7, but since I got twice as many 5x7 pieces in the end, they were less expensive per piece. I was able to cut them with a full-size guillotine cutter and with my Fiskars rotary cutter by cutting a couple of passes with the blade.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't edit my previous post, but the thickness/rigidity of the the pressboard dividers is really similar to the matboard used in framing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I have these comic book dividers. They are very thick. You'll have to cut to size.

https://smile.amazon.com/UltraPro-CO...+book+dividers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 06:02 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/White-20mil-C...e+dvd+dividers

As dividers for my stamps in the bins (sort of the Jennifer McGuire method). I have to trim a couple sides and then I use my Corner Chomper to round the corners again. Love them!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Similar to the dvd dividers (I think?) that Brenda has, I had extra LP dividers like used to be used in record album bins at stores (and are coming back!) that are roughly 12x12, so three could come out of one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it would take some cutting. My rotary cutter goes through them easily but some may not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Tonic guillotine and it has no issues cutting.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The company I bought LP dividers from also has 7" dividers - but doesn't give the complete measurements. You can contact them on Amazon to ask in case you're interested. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EGVSGM...sp_detail_page
They may have a website too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I use these 5 x 7 matboards with magnet sheets on them to store my thin dies. I've ordered from Clear Bags several times and have never had any problems. HTH.Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Default BCW postcard dividers

I know I'm kinda late and you've probably already found a solution, but the BCW postcard dividers, which are plastic, fit inside of photo boxes. They are 4" x 6". I'm planning on purchasing these to use as dividers for my Cricut booklets. I've found them at Ebay and hobbiesdepot.com so far. Hope this helps! ☺
Reply With Quote Likes