Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts
Default Design tips for placement

Can anyone share some tips for the layout of elements, especially embellishments? I understand that visual triangles often work well but I see other projects, especially CAS, where things look sort of scattered about but still pleasing to the eye. I know some of you are artists and you can probably just place things (even in your sleep!) but I would appreciate some tips if you are willing to share

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three is the answer...with flourishes and or leaves. I use glitter paper to pop it out a bit. I use pattern paper and then a coordinating card stock. Try to make your embellishment draw your eye to the photo. Groups of three are ok too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The rule of 3 is a good one, but you can cheat a little and use some other odd number - 5 if you have room.

Also, I don't stick anything down to start with. I move things around and look at them before finally applying adhesive.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

beachbum, there is the problem of never liking what you do, even when you copy exactly what some other artist did, using the exact same supplies. That's me! So what I do is put the card away and forget it. Just last week i came across a bunch i did last year and I'm amazed how much I like them. They have random enamel dots or other random embelishments and look okay. But random anything is very difficult for me so I don't try it very often. I think real artists naturally place things perfectly. I am a crafter. My sister is a real artist. She breaks design rules and all her cards are dynamite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, I do like others said, place without gluing, get something that looks appealing. If all else fails, place the embellies you want to put on your card in a cup and do like you are rolling dice, and pour out on your card and then glue them down the way they fell. I have done this many times and it certainly relieves pressure, plus it's fun. I think we put too much pressure on our selves to be perfect. We are all artists.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

In gardening they tell you to plant in odd numbers..."nature never does evens"...I dont believe that but that is the rule...and seems to be with embellies too. 3 or 5. My thought is that they are sweet notes and less is more. One could be fine with me.

Have you looked at sketches for layout ideas?
Here is a library of them from OWH:

http://operationwritehome.org/wp-con...-259-bonus.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetresuresView Post
For me, I do like others said, place without gluing, get something that looks appealing. If all else fails, place the embellies you want to put on your card in a cup and do like you are rolling dice, and pour out on your card and then glue them down the way they fell. I have done this many times and it certainly relieves pressure, plus it's fun. I think we put too much pressure on our selves to be perfect. We are all artists.
When I was in high school art class, one of the pictures in our textbook was a collage by (I think) Matisse. Supposedly, he had just dropped a bunch of torn-up pieces of paper onto his background, and then glued them where the fell. It looked pretty organized to me to be so random, but the dice-rolling bit reminded me of that! LOL The random look just might work. Just try to avoid "embellishment sneeze," where it looks like you just stuck a bunch of items down simply to stick a bunch of items down. Sorry I can't be of more help! :confused:

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Another rule of thumb is the rule of percentage of color. 60-30-10. If you stick to three basic colors (whether shades of monochrome or opposites on the color wheel) - the largest swath of color should be no more than 60%. Then the next color/shade about 30% and the "pops" of color only 10%. This allows the eye & the mind to drift, rest, and react.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't read all the other answers but I use the rule of threes too. I try to use three clusters of embellies like sequins or an odd number.

I usually place three sequins in the most empty spot. I place one at the top and another close by at an angle with a third down lower in an unequal triangle. I almost never place the sequins at 90 degrees to each other. I find 60 or 30 ish works nicely. Then I place another cluster of two sequins in another place and a third cluster in the last place. The third cluster might have 1, 2 or 3 sequins in it depending on the circumstance. I also like to vary the size and/or colour of the sequins within each cluster.

As above I use the rule of threes for the placement of the cluster and for the clusters themselves.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an artist by any means, but i didn't see anyone mention the rule of thirds. For instance, on an A2 sized card (4.25 x 5.5) you would divide the width into thirds and height into thirds. Then where those lines intersect that is a "sweet spot". The rule of thirds says that a design will generally be balanced if you use those sweet spots for positioning elements such as your image, sentiment, embellishments, etc...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 05:53 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Decide on the focal point and arrange the embellishments to draw the viewer to that point. I often see cards where it's confusing to me what the artist is telling me because there is too much random placement KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There are terrific books written about design principles and design elements that apply to art, craft, web pages, cards, photos. But short of taking courses and lots of reading, this article presents some info in a neat way, aka lots of pictures. Just skip what doesn't interest you or doesn't apply.

https://designschool.canva.com/desig...ts-principles/

I'm going to make some little laminated design reminder cards to flip through and ponder when stuck or thinking about the next step. (Cards because I love cards more than lists.)

Ex: do I want to add texture? (Not too much.) Are the lines drawing my eye to the focal point or crowding it? What about negative space so the card (or page or box) can breathe?

So thanks for this thread.

P.S. This little book by Molly Bang uses shapes to tell the story of Little Red Riding Hood, but really is about what is emphasized on a page. It's so fun, and was the first "design" book that was recommended in a class years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Picture-This-...ed+riding+hood

Guilty that my nerdy info junkiness is showing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Thank you all for the replies and ideas. Somehow, I had missed seeing most of the updates so please forgive that I didn't thank you until now

Reply With Quote Likes