Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else make cards more for fun than to give?

Not sure I said this right....of course I give out some cards. My issue is that I don't have a large circle of friends or family to send cards to but I love the hobby itself. I love the actual process of playing with the paper and other supplies. I have a box full of already made cards and seem to keep buying more. I probably made 15 Christmas cards this year, but had 5 cards I sent out (no one else to really send to). However, I'm going to make a rare resolution this year about buying supplies. I've never done that before but as I look around at what I've bought and how little I've use the supplies I am kind of ashamed. At least when I scrapbooked I had albums to show for what I bought but keeping a whole box of cards and not using them is so wasteful. I tried to give some to one of my local nursing homes and they had no interest. I've thought about some of the groups that were accepting cards around the holidays but they were pretty specific about what they wanted. So I guess my question to myself and all of you, is is okay to make cards even if I give away very few ,just as a hobby ? I mean many people have hobbies that are only for pleasure and they cost a lot of money like golf. I don't really expect anyone to solve this for me or give me an answer, I just wonder if others have thought about this or are in a similar circumstance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Of course it's okay to make cards just as a hobby; it's giving you pleasure and that's what hobbies are supposed to do. Since you scrapbook, put some of your cards in scrapbooks and you can enjoy looking at them the same way you do photos in scrapbooks.

I'm a cardmaker, but I also make beaded jewelry and do counted cross stitch. Some of these are given as gifts but a whole lot more are kept for me to look at and enjoy and I do keep some of my cards and use them as seasonal decorations.

I'd love to receive one of your cards and send you one. Private message me your address and I'll send you mine. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes! I love the process and always have way more than I use. So I sell some now and then, to keep my number of cards on hand from getting out of hand don't feel bad about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I view it pretty much as small art, and anyone that creates art of any kind seems to produce more than they can personally use or give away or sell. The process is what gives satisfaction - expressing yourself through your creation and getting the ideas "out into the world". Learning new things (techniques, tools, etc.) is a bonus, as well, and often translates to other areas than cardmaking and other papercrafts. I always, always have a box or two of cards that have nowhere to go...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much everyone. Glad to hear I'm not alone. This hobby gives me such pleasure in what frankly has been a difficult few years. Ive worked from home for the last few years so my circle seems to be getting smaller and smaller.I have no crafty or card making friends in real,life so can't receive this kids of support there so really am grateful for the feedback. I think making a crafting budget and sticking to it next year might ease some of my guilt. I can definitely afford a small amount in my budget for my crafting, I just need to be discriminating...how many thank you or birthday sets does once person need?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 02:24 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely it's ok just to enjoy it. I end up making way more cards than I can use. I enjoy the process, and thats what matters for me.
On the other hand, have you thought about giving sets of cards as gifts? Or extend the way you are trying to donate? Animal shelters/womens refuges/ local fundraisers such as churches are usually really pleased to get donations to raise funds. I was introduced by a blogging friend to a lady that raises funds for the Royal Lifeboat Institute, which relies entirely on donations to exist, as does our Air Ambulance charity. Maybe you have some similar organisations near you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I have made cards for the pleasure of stamping and trying new products and techniques for many years. But 2017 is scrapbooking only except for Christmas cards and a bunch of thank you cards I promised my son. If I want to try something new or just feel like stamping, it will involve photos and 12x12 pages.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 04:09 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I too have several boxes of cards waiting to be used, but I like having them there when I need them. I don't like the stress of coming up with a birthday card for a party that is tomorrow. I much prefer to make them at my leisure.
That said, I do have a big family to send cards to. I am ashamed to admit that despite my inventory, I sometimes miss sending cards that should be sent. I think that is going to be a goal this year.
I sell a few (very few) mostly to one friend who likes my cards. Also, I have started keeping my daughter supplied with cards. She and my hopefully daughter in law got a boxful of my cards yesterday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #9  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered donating your cards to charities or non-profits? The two that come to my mind right away is senior centers and Meals on Wheels. I know the local chapter of Meals on Wheels here puts a birthday/thinking of you/generic card in each persons meal at least once a year...that is a lot of cards!
I have also heard of a lady that sells her cards/small gift items to raise money for a charity that digs water wells in poor countries. She has sent a fair amount of money to that charity over the years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

Dear OP,
I have often struggled with this question. Here's what has helped me. When our kids were growing up we spent money on music lessons for each one. Add to that investment the hours they spent practicing weekly. Yes, there were occasional recitals. NO, they don't often pull out those instruments anymore as adults. Was it worth it?Yes, I think it broadened their worlds, enhanced their appreciation of music and increased important skills.

I look at people who golf or garden. These hobbies also entail much work and expense.

I've decided to compare my love of card-making to making beautiful music. If I'm the only one who hears it, then it is worth it! If stamping makes MY heart sing, it is worth it! I'd much rather fill my days with happy bouts of creating in my craft room than watching TV or reading books. Having the creative outlet makes ME a better person, and that is a blessing to everyone in my circle.

So, although I still need to rein in my desire to buy, I have decided to stop feeling guilty for spending time doing something I love. Or for the containers of cards I've made that accumulate....

My suggestion: We are told so often in our culture to only spend time on what is productive in a material way. Forget that advice, embrace what you love, and realize that we were made to create. Do it with joy!

Last edited by cindybstampin; 12-26-2016 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I just need to be discriminating...how many thank you or birthday sets does once person need?
I've asked this question before and finally discovered the answer after asking my husband how many bicycles he really needs. "One more than I already have."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's perfectly fine to make cards and keep them. For me, it's more the process of creating a card than what I'm going to do with it.

I do send them out, to family (we also have a small family) to kids at Send Kids the World (even though they specify post cards, I asked if cards were okay and they said definitely yes!). I make a card, put it in the finished card box and then when I want to mail one, look through and pick one out.

I made one for Christmas that I just love! It's a House Mouse stamp I found at Goodwill. It's in the box but I can't send it out just yet. I just showed it to my hubby, he asked who would receive it? I said, "ME!". One day I'll mail it but not just yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

When I first started more than 25 years ago it was a hobby. Giving cards to those that I cared about. Now I sell my cards. If you are given a card by me then you are special. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I also say do it to be creating and to have fun.

One group you might be interested in is Card Angels. They pair you with someone who has cancer (possibly othe illnesses too) and has requested a card angel. You commit to send one card a week. I did this for about a year. You sign up online. I googled them a few months ago and they are still in existence.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I also say do it to be creating and to have fun.

One group you might be interested in is Card Angels. They pair you with someone who has cancer (possibly othe illnesses too) and has requested a card angel. You commit to send one card a week. I did this for about a year. You sign up online. I googled them a few months ago and they are still in existence.
I love this idea. Thank you for posting this. I plan to check this out. There are always extra cards I make that don't make it into my sell pile, but are beautiful cards that someone would enjoy. This is something that I could do for someone to brighten their day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Creating is never a wasteful activity. It keeps your mind and heart healthy. Whether you send or keep the product, it is your art. Think of artist who never sell a painting. Their art is still important. Do not stop,unless the joy stops. Just saying these are my thoughts and advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindybstampinView Post
Dear OP,
I have often struggled with this question. Here's what has helped me. When our kids were growing up we spent money on music lessons for each one. Add to that investment the hours they spent practicing weekly. Yes, there were occasional recitals. NO, they don't often pull out those instruments anymore as adults. Was it worth it?Yes, I think it broadened their worlds, enhanced their appreciation of music and increased important skills.

I look at people who golf or garden. These hobbies also entail much work and expense.

I've decided to compare my love of card-making to making beautiful music. If I'm the only one who hears it, then it is worth it! If stamping makes MY heart sing, it is worth it! I'd much rather fill my days with happy bouts of creating in my craft room than watching TV or reading books. Having the creative outlet makes ME a better person, and that is a blessing to everyone in my circle.

So, although I still need to rein in my desire to buy, I have decided to stop feeling guilty for spending time doing something I love. Or for the containers of cards I've made that accumulate....

My suggestion: We are told so often in our culture to only spend time on what is productive in a material way. Forget that advice, embrace what you love, and realize that we were made to create. Do it with joy!
Well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I always seem to have oodles of cards laying around. Trying a new technique..with several variations, samples for an upcoming class or just playing..it all adds up. Don't sweat it! Send to friends or donate if it gets to be too much but always enjoy the process!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 07:01 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Yesterday I found out that there are programs were you can donate card that will go to active duty service members. You can take the cards to drop off points at airports. I need to do some research to find out where for sure but I think I'm going to start doing this with some of my extra cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to sell my cards, but it really turned something I enjoyed into something I resented. I used to spends weekends creating and designing and just loved every second of it. I'd make multiples of everything and put together little assorted gift packs - 10 cards in a cellophane bag tied with a polka dot ribbon - and just give them away to everyone I knew. It made me so happy to do! And then after a little while, I felt so much pressure from my family and friends to start selling them. Which was great they believed in me, but the pressure was horrible. They kept insisting I create a website, I go to little boutiques to see if they will sell my cards, to get business cards made, and I knew I should love the idea, but inside it stressed me out. But I started taking orders anyway. Which led into custom greeting cards. Which led into baby shower invites and then orders for 200 wedding invitations at a time, and so on. And I was no longer making cards that were being created out of inspiration, but rather ideas that were being dictated to me, and I was miserable. And I had deadlines which stressed me out to the max, because if I didn't have the creative energy, the last thing I wanted to do was try to be creative. And the pressure to make everything PERFECT since people were now paying for them - it was just too much for me. That is what pushed me over the edge. This feeling and need for everything to be perfect now. But everyone said - look you're making a few extra dollars! But at the expense it turned something I ABSOLUTELY LOVED into something I DREADED. So after a few years of smiling and saying yes to everything - I decided I wanted to making cards again. I wanted my HOBBY back instead of a 2nd job. So I stopped making custom greeting cards, stopped making invitations, and went back to making cards for the heck of it. I make multiples of each of my cards and I give gift packs away again. And I'm so much happier!!! A lot of people around me don't understand why I wouldn't want to turn this into a little side business - but I'd rather go to my day job to make money and spend my free time doing something I love again. I appreciate all the support and encouragement I was shown, but I had to follow my heart. And that was to craft because I loved to do it, not to make a profit. (And it was never a profit anyway, I just spent in on more stamps and ribbon that I wanted, lol. But of course didn't need!)

Last edited by Catherine773; 12-28-2016 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
I used to sell my cards, but it really turned something I enjoyed into something I resented. I used to spends weekends creating and designing and just loved every second of it. I'd make multiples of everything and put together little assorted gift packs - 10 cards in a cellophane bag tied with a polka dot ribbon - and just give them away to everyone I knew. It made me so happy to do! And then after a little while, I felt so much pressure from my family and friends to start selling them. Which was great they believed in me, but the pressure was horrible. They kept insisting I create a website, I go to little boutiques to see if they will sell my cards, to get business cards made, and I knew I should love the idea, but inside it stressed me out. But I started taking orders anyway. Which led into custom greeting cards. Which led into baby shower invites and then orders for 200 wedding invitations at a time, and so on. And I was no longer making cards that were being created out of inspiration, but rather ideas that were being dictated to me, and I was miserable. And I had deadlines which stressed me out to the max, because if I didn't have the creative energy, the last thing I wanted to do was try to be creative. And the pressure to make everything PERFECT since people were now paying for them - it was just too much for me. That is what pushed me over the edge. This feeling and need for everything to be perfect now. But everyone said - look you're making a few extra dollars! But at the expense it turned something I ABSOLUTELY LOVED into something I DREADED. So after a few years of smiling and saying yes to everything - I decided I wanted to making cards again. I wanted my HOBBY back instead of a 2nd job. So I stopped making custom greeting cards, stopped making invitations, and went back to making cards for the heck of it. I make multiples of each of my cards and I give gift packs away again. And I'm so much happier!!! A lot of people around me don't understand why I wouldn't want to turn this into a little side business - but I'd rather go to my day job to make money and spend my free time doing something I love again. I appreciate all the support and encouragement I was shown, but I had to follow my heart. And that was to craft because I loved to do it, not to make a profit. (And it was never a profit anyway, I just spent in on more stamps and ribbon that I wanted, lol. But of course didn't need!)
I agree with you! For awhile I sold a few orders for cards and suddenly it was work and pressure! So now I sell a few if I have any on hand and a friend asks me if I can bring in a couple... much better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I do the same thing. I have boxes and boxes in my closet of cards. I sell some at a little family owned deli close to my home. If you have a tourist info center close to you, you might try selling some there, too. I also give a baggie full every few months to the lady at our church who's in charge of sending out cards (birthday, get well, etc.). We have four nursing homes here and they have all thanked me profusely for the cards. Alot of residents don't get any visitors or mail and love getting cards. I'm sorry that the one you contacted wasn't interested. You might also try local hospitals.

Keep making those cards as long as it makes you happy. I consider it my therapy.

Treat stress like a dog - If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it & walk away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Totally agree about the pressure from having to make cards to order. I only did Wedding stationary twice, besides my own, and that was enough. Never again. I do still make the odd custom card to order, but only rarely. It does become a chore, and as Catherine says, you end up not creating because you enjoy it, but making what someone else has dictated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Echoing what the others have said...it becomes a whole different animal when done under pressure/for the money/what others dictate. The same can be said for other venues, as well. We creatives NEED the outlet for OUR ideas and satisfaction, and the paying gig fails to provide that, most of the time...

I'm also a "one-off" kind of girl. After the second or third of anything, I'm totally over it. That's not a good trait if you're doing 200 wedding invitations or whatever...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Totally agree about the pressure from having to make cards to order. I only did Wedding stationary twice, besides my own, and that was enough. Never again. I do still make the odd custom card to order, but only rarely. It does become a chore, and as Catherine says, you end up not creating because you enjoy it, but making what someone else has dictated.
Very interesting. Only did one wedding (it was supposed to be a small wedding and turned out to be 200 invites, grooms dinner invites, matching thank you'd, etc.). I about went into cardiac arrest by the time it was over! Lol. Never again! The pressure is not my thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Another thought with extra cards......I now have a good friend from my church who just started teaching at a new school. I give her a box for the teacher lunch room and they use for kids, parents, etc. whoever. I don't expect anything in return (or money for the cards). They love sending and cards get used and bring others joy. A win-win!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Echoing what the others have said...it becomes a whole different animal when done under pressure/for the money/what others dictate. The same can be said for other venues, as well. We creatives NEED the outlet for OUR ideas and satisfaction, and the paying gig fails to provide that, most of the time...

I'm also a "one-off" kind of girl. After the second or third of anything, I'm totally over it. That's not a good trait if you're doing 200 wedding invitations or whatever...
I'm also a "one-off". For me it's one and done unless I'm making cards/projects for a swap. I'm also terrible at sending cards. In my family it's a running joke that I must be afraid of the mailman since I don't mail cards and when I do, I'm always late.

I create for the sake of creating. It gives me joy and I get a secondary spirit lift when I package up all my cards and give them my DIL that works in a low income area school.

This is me perfectly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

THANK YOU, LOL!!! I just saved that to my "Words to Live By" board on Pinterest...hee hee...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

As far as using supplies, try doing one or more of the weekly challenges here. It can inspire you to pull out that ink or embellishment or stamp set that you haven't used yet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I accept and value that the process of creating is far more important for me. That there's a card at the end of my creative playtime is a nice bonus - it makes it easier to share with others. But I would enjoy it just as much if there wasn't anything to share at the end of it, too. I've spent time writing in journals with no intention to share the content with other people, and I found it just as personally valuable.

A few years ago I ended up in a job with really long hours. It was a job that grew out of my previous hobby, and after working for 65+ hours per week for weeks on end, I found that I needed something to keep me sane and keep me from getting buried in the stress of it all. Making a card (or 10) was perfect. I got to be creative, and made something pretty. There was no pressure to make things that please a customer, or to make things within a deadline -- in stark contrast to my job or daily life responsibilities.

For a while, I felt a lot of guilt over spending money on myself. I'm naturally the type of person that would put the needs of others before my own, so the idea of having this big and expensive hobby was nerve-wracking. But I can't help anyone if I'm feeling completely miserable and stressed out. All that negativity spills over to others, and it makes things more difficult. So, I took a step back and decided that I, too, needed something that made me happy.

I just gave myself the permission to invest some budget into it and -more importantly- permission to have an activity that mainly benefits me. It makes me calmer, it makes me happier and it's a productive use of my time. I don't prioritize it over work or life/family responsibilities, but I do set aside a little time for it every day. I don't want to turn it into a career, nor do I want to make any money from it.

I share my finished cards with friends and family who appreciate them. And, I know there are other places in my area to donate to -- family shelters, churches, community centers, goodwill, etc -- if my finished stash ever gets overwhelming.

For the future, I plan to simply enjoy making cards and to share my joy and excitement with others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
I accept and value that the process of creating is far more important for me. That there's a card at the end of my creative playtime is a nice bonus - it makes it easier to share with others. But I would enjoy it just as much if there wasn't anything to share at the end of it, too. I've spent time writing in journals with no intention to share the content with other people, and I found it just as personally valuable.

A few years ago I ended up in a job with really long hours. It was a job that grew out of my previous hobby, and after working for 65+ hours per week for weeks on end, I found that I needed something to keep me sane and keep me from getting buried in the stress of it all. Making a card (or 10) was perfect. I got to be creative, and made something pretty. There was no pressure to make things that please a customer, or to make things within a deadline -- in stark contrast to my job or daily life responsibilities.

For a while, I felt a lot of guilt over spending money on myself. I'm naturally the type of person that would put the needs of others before my own, so the idea of having this big and expensive hobby was nerve-wracking. But I can't help anyone if I'm feeling completely miserable and stressed out. All that negativity spills over to others, and it makes things more difficult. So, I took a step back and decided that I, too, needed something that made me happy.

I just gave myself the permission to invest some budget into it and -more importantly- permission to have an activity that mainly benefits me. It makes me calmer, it makes me happier and it's a productive use of my time. I don't prioritize it over work or life/family responsibilities, but I do set aside a little time for it every day. I don't want to turn it into a career, nor do I want to make any money from it.

I share my finished cards with friends and family who appreciate them. And, I know there are other places in my area to donate to -- family shelters, churches, community centers, goodwill, etc -- if my finished stash ever gets overwhelming.

For the future, I plan to simply enjoy making cards and to share my joy and excitement with others.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 01:29 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Default cards

love to make cards. Luckily I live in a retirement home, Made over 200 Christmas cards for residents and staff. Plus all the birthdays and anniversaries. I also teach a card class monthly. Bimonthly make about 40 cards for card bingo where all who come get a card and an extra one for winning bingo, I also sell cards at a small fee to residents. So you can say I keep busy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I make cards for more fun than to give. Sadly, the majority I have made cards for have passed away. No sadness. Most of my loved ones were over 80 & 90.

I do love to make cards but I have nobody to really send them too. I might send out ten cards a year now at the most.

I am not going to stop making them. They are my mini works of art. I make a lot of card fronts now. I add them to my journals, frame them, turn them into cute books.

It makes me sad when I hear people want to get into cardmaking but they don't have anybody to send cards too. To anyone who feels like that start making cards. It is to make you happy and enrich your lives and to learn something new.

I have been pressured to sell too. This is my time to make pretty things, Curl up in my art studio create and read my books. I tell the golfers- Do you sell golf lessons? People that love to cook- Do you have a restaurant? Movie Lovers- Are you a movie critic? That keeps them quiet. I don't know why but that is one of my peeves. People who think all of us who craft we need to be selling!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 12:34 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

DeeAnn, what a fabulous comeback! It is true that for some weird reason, because we actually make something in our hobby, they cannot understand that for us, the enjoyment is in the making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Sometimes I stamp and color just to stamp and color. I bought a notebook of watercolor paper and just play with that. You don't have to make something to enjoy the process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula O.View Post
Sometimes I stamp and color just to stamp and color. I bought a notebook of watercolor paper and just play with that. You don't have to make something to enjoy the process.
My first stamping love is to stamp and color. I started with watercolor paper too. I got involved in the online stamping world and ooooh, there was just so many different things it became overwhelming. I honestly just shut down and started side eyeing my stamps like they were evil, lol. I blame the paper choices, lol. I swore there were so many choices and those were all the right ones according to so many people, probably even me too.

Now, I just stamp on my paper choices. Don't care about the rest. Those paper choices are better for our other beautiful stampers.

Give me watercolor paper, watercolor paints & my colored pencils and I am happy girl. I am actually buying more stamps now than I ever did before. I also use them in my journal too.

Motto to everyone- Don't stamp to make cards or have a reason. Stamp to smile. Stamp to make you feel good about yourself.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2017, 05:09 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
My first stamping love is to stamp and color. I started with watercolor paper too. I got involved in the online stamping world and ooooh, there was just so many different things it became overwhelming. I honestly just shut down and started side eyeing my stamps like they were evil, lol. I blame the paper choices, lol. I swore there were so many choices and those were all the right ones according to so many people, probably even me too.

Now, I just stamp on my paper choices. Don't care about the rest. Those paper choices are better for our other beautiful stampers.

Give me watercolor paper, watercolor paints & my colored pencils and I am happy girl. I am actually buying more stamps now than I ever did before. I also use them in my journal too.

Motto to everyone- Don't stamp to make cards or have a reason. Stamp to smile. Stamp to make you feel good about yourself.
Wow! You both just made my day!! I never thought about these ideas until just now. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

Although I have hundreds of cards I continue to make more because I enjoy it. After sending Christmas cards I counted and I have 365 left. Doubt I'll need all them! I'm not making more of those but I will continue making others. I've made it a project the last few years to use up my very large printed card stock stash and it's about gone. I'm also focused on using stamps, etc. that I've had for years. That's been fun and challenging. Now when I buy something new and that's rare I make 6-8 cards using it along with other items I have. When I'm gone my daughter will have to figure out what to do with all these cards. I keep reminding her my hobby is cheaper than therapy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I loved reading what everyone wrote. I love making cards, Scrapbooking, and more! LOL
My favorite thing is playing in my stamp room in my pjs! LOL
I stamp cards to send friends, neighbors and people at church. I mailed about 200 cards last year. Birthday, sympathy, thinking, praying for you. I also head up a card making group at church for our encouragement ministry. So, I am teaching others what I have learned and getting a lot of use out of my tools! Different ones have suggested I sale my cards. I agree with others; then it wouldn't be fun, it would be work! I have a small stash, but they are for when I don't have time to make a needed card. I don't know how many are in my stash; I may count them out of couriosity but I would guess maybe 50. I have been making cards for about 12 years and use most of them. On the Scrapbooking, I will never get all my hundreds scrapped! LOL

Happy crafting, and thank you for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I painted one side of a mostly full Culturelle probiotics box yesterday because I wanted to play with paint and the box happened to be on the table. And I was in vigorous lazy mode and didn't want to get up again to get paper and brushes.

I blended colors with a finger, and noticed Distress paint plays nice with other brands of acrylic paints, which I expected but wondered about. I'm thinking about taking a workshop where we bring three colors of paint, so thought about that a little.

But mainly the paint and colors just made me happy, even the part where I wondered - again - how it's possible to get paint three feet away without moving.

Bonus: I turned the box upside down and it looked like an ocean, sky, and an Abandoned Coral sunset. My husband thought that's what I painted.

I heat emboss a lot without purpose, and sometimes die cut. So I often don't even get to the point of finishing a project.

I love DeeAnn's motto, above: "Don't stamp to make cards or have a reason. Stamp to smile. Stamp to make you feel good about yourself." Or paint or anything.
Reply With Quote Likes