Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avery Elle storage pocket alternatives?

I started using the original size of the Avery Elle storage pockets a few years ago. They are 5 5/8 X 7 3/8. I'm looking for a less expensive alternative that are equally as good. The price of the Avery Elle has gone up so high, and they are barely ever in stock anywhere. I've seen some mentioned but the reviews say they tear along the edges. I do want to keep using the same size for continuity. I know lots of our favorite stamp companies have come out with their own versions but they are expensive and not the size I need. I'd really appreciate hearing some suggestions as I'm in desperate need of getting my newer stamps organized. Thanks do much. Dina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I found these "DVD" sleeves at Amazon, and I'm thrilled with them! They look and feel exactly like the Avery Elle sleeves to me - I honestly can't tell a difference - in size, or durability. I'll try to link to them: https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Plastic...eeve+with+flap

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 03:41 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

I bought my sleeves at amazon like Kitty. They are considerably less expensive. Yes, they do rip on the sides...occasionally...when I'm careless.

I figured that Avery Elle at 20 cents...amazon ones at 7 cents...I could replace each one about 3 times before it would break even. I can be more careful for that price! I'm not averse to using tape either.

The habit I needed to break in changing from what I used to have is sticking my hand INSIDE the pocket to get the stamp out. I have to slide the laminated card OUT. Duh! It's a habit that needed to change!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 04:12 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It just occurred to me that I probably ought to mention one more thing I do, to help avoid tearing my sleeves: I round the corners on my laminated sheets before I put them in the sleeve. It's a small thing, but those plastic corners can seem a little sharp. (Actually, I do this more to save my fingers, than to save the sleeves, LOL. Have you ever poked a sharp plastic corner under your finger nail? Ouch!) ;-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 04:29 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulStamperView Post
It just occurred to me that I probably ought to mention one more thing I do, to help avoid tearing my sleeves: I round the corners on my laminated sheets before I put them in the sleeve. It's a small thing, but those plastic corners can seem a little sharp. (Actually, I do this more to save my fingers, than to save the sleeves, LOL. Have you ever poked a sharp plastic corner under your finger nail? Ouch!) ;-)
Brilliant - and obvious - after someone else has thought of it!

I don't think I've ripped an Avery Elle pocket more than once, but this still makes so much sense. But I have ripped the tougher SSS 5" square pockets used for many embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmaxView Post
I started using the original size of the Avery Elle storage pockets a few years ago. They are 5 5/8 X 7 3/8. I'm looking for a less expensive alternative that are equally as good. The price of the Avery Elle has gone up so high, and they are barely ever in stock anywhere. I've seen some mentioned but the reviews say they tear along the edges. I do want to keep using the same size for continuity. I know lots of our favorite stamp companies have come out with their own versions but they are expensive and not the size I need. I'd really appreciate hearing some suggestions as I'm in desperate need of getting my newer stamps organized. Thanks do much. Dina
I found them on Ebay, a package of 50 was less than $9 (USD)
50 Clear Stamp and Die Storage Pockets Plastic Bags, Compatible with Avery Elle | eBay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

I found these on SimonSaysStamp. $11.99 for 50 http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produc...tity-SLV50/969

They also have envelopes by SugarPea designs that i tried but i don't care for them. the SugarPea envelopes are heavy and remind me of the old vinyl page covers that the printing would stick to from pages inserted...

...just learning

Last edited by CTXDalene; 01-05-2017 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have just started using the Avery Elle ones, unfortunately, like so much else, the alternatives either are not available in the UK, or don't ship to us.
As for Avery Elle being out of stock everywhere, I was having that problem over here. After emailing Avery Elle, they replied saying the old LARGE size had been discontinued, and was relaunched with a different code number, so I assume they will gradually filter out into the shops. They are available on the Avery Elle website, but I still have a shipping problem. Fortunately, I'm only storing dies in mine, and have a few from my last pack left. Hopefully, more will be available when I need some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you everyone. I'll be really bummed if they are discontinued. Part of the reason we use them is the continuity of the size. I emailed them to confirm this as I've never heard anyone else mention that. One other point it the cheaper brands are listed in millimeters I need to know fractions. I tried to convert the measurement but that wasn't helpful. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I bought some from Avery Elle's site not long ago; they're still listed, and are back in stock on Ellen Hutson's site.

I wrote to Avery Elle to ask if the measurements are truly a bit different, but no response yet. I'll check my newer ones against the older ones to see if they're the same. If there is a difference, it's minimal enough that I didn't notice. Once a stamp or set is in a pocket it isn't 100% flat so maybe that's why; I'm usually pretty picky about that stuff. Okay, very picky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been getting them on amazon because the price is much better.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

After I got the email. I went to their site and looked, and to be honest, apart from the different code number, to me, everything seemed the same. I was puzzled. I'm hoping thye start filtering through to our stockists over here soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:54 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

The original stated measurements were 5 5/8″ x 7 3/8″. Now it's 5 1/2" x 7 1/4".

I don't know if the size is actually a tiny bit different or if they just changed the labeling. I forgot to check old against new and I'll wake two cats and a husband if I head into my office now.

For anyone looking for them: Amazon states they'll be in stock 1/14. Ellen Hutson has them now, and you can buy them from Avery Elle. When I bought directly from them they included a tiny "hooray" or "hoorah" stamp. : )

From their website: "Our Large Stamp & Die Storage Pockets are the same ones that you know and love but are now sold in 50 packs."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Bjeans, thats great, I hadn't really taken in the sizes, having only just started using them. So, it seems they will be 1/4" smaller in both directions. That will still work for me, as I have then in an A4 box. Mind, I understand what you say about it may only be the labelling that has changed. I bought some 7" square cards & envelopes. Cut my paper to 6 3/4", then my toppers to fit on there. Tried to put it together, and it turned out that in reality, the Envelopes were 7" square, but the cards were slightly smaller. I'd just assumed that the cards would be 7", and the envelopes larger!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Just 1/8" difference on both sides if there actually is a difference.

They do have an extra large envelope too, but you know that. : )

I would have thought a 7" square card would have meant 7" too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oozak had the avery elle in stock, last week. Gone now but you can have them email you when they get the new stock in. They are always 20% off so regular size is 9.60 for 50. They list all 3 sizes

Oozak.com | AVERY ELLE | AVESS-5001 | AVERY ELLE - Stamp & Die Storage Pockets 50PK, LARGE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I bought the ones on Amazon that were 200 for $13.99. The only difference I can see (I was gifted the Avery Elle) is that the Amazon sleeves are slightly more opaque - very slightly. I haven't ripped one yet, and I've been using them for almost a year now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

By the way, I've just measured some of my sleeves, and they are indeed 5 1/2 x7", if you measure the actual holding area, rather than from outer edge to outer edge. So it looks like the new packaging is an accurate representation of the usable size, rather than the overall size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
By the way, I've just measured some of my sleeves, and they are indeed 5 1/2 x7", if you measure the actual holding area, rather than from outer edge to outer edge. So it looks like the new packaging is an accurate representation of the usable size, rather than the overall size.
Brilliant - so there's where that 1/8th inch has been hiding. Meanwhile, I'd forgotten to check every time I went into my office. I'd sent to messages to Avery Elle but haven't received a response to either. I wonder if there may be a system glitch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 02:48 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Sorry, that should read 7 1/4", not 7"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Sorry, that should read 7 1/4", not 7"!
It's the thought - explanation - that counts. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Just been having a look, and they are now back in stock on Amazon UK! Hooray, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Just been having a look, and they are now back in stock on Amazon UK! Hooray, lol.
Yay! The joy of pockets - how many others would understand?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 years ago I ordered 1000 flat poly bags, 3mil from Ebay, about .04 each. Great if you have friends to split the order with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm not sure this will help anyone, but I make my own from page protectors I get at Goodwill. I use my soldering iron to "cut" it to the size I want, which seals it at the same time. I really doesn't take very long to do while watching TV, and I can generally pick them up for a dollar or two for a box of them.

I generally make mine all the same size and use the photo boxes available at the craft stores to stand them up in. I can make them a different size when needed. I also use these for my die storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I forgot to report back after receiving a response from Avery Elle about whether the size has changed:

"In regards to our storage pockets, our SS-5001 Large Storage Pockets are the same size as SS-25 (that are now discontinued). The only difference is they now come in a set of 50 rather than 25.

We also now have SS-5002 Extra Large Storage Pockets Extra Large Stamp Storage Pockets I Avery Elle and SS-5003 Small Storage Pockets http://www.averyelle.com/small-stamp-die-storage-pockets-5-1-8-x-5-set-of-50/."

So we knew this but there's the official word. : )
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

subbing

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes