Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Die cut to death!

Is it just me longing for more cards with just some beautiful stamping? Don't get me wrong, I love die cuts but they seem to be taking over my beloved rubber.:(

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is some wonderful stamping out there. I love some of the techniques I see, like masking, distress inks backgrounds and brayered backgrounds etc. But to tell you the truth, I am not a great stamper and I don't have the time to practice to become one. Yet I can make some great cards with dies, like the Detailed Floral Thinlits by Stampin Up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I totally agree! I like diecuts waaaaay better as accents than focal points - a pretty lacy layer behind something, a fun shape for the image or sentiment panel, a little flourish... There are some gorgeous dies, and I've seen some beautiful cards made with them, but I tend to click past most of them to see the stamped cards...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 03:51 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

This song is the same one I was singing a few years ago when DSP took over cards in place of stamped backgrounds. I'm old school -- stamps, paper, ink. To me, dies are for accents or to cut a nice shape around a stamped greeting or image.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And have we talked about how $$$ dies are? I know I have been talking about this for a while! When the matching dies cost more money than the stamp set they are meant to coordinate with, then you know it's gotten out of control!

I'm feeling a big shift in my paper crafting coming on for 2017. No dies, no patterned paper, not even any stamps. None of it really gets me excited anymore.

I'm challenging myself to learn print making using linocuts. I love the look, and I can create any images I desire. This is a big leap from being crafty to being creative artistically, but I've wanted to try this for years.

Maybe it will even save me money? That's my goal for 2017!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love dies, but they're more expensive to manufacture than stamps - metal costs more. I have a few stamp/die sets, and and haven't ever used them together, only apart. But they're like a bunch of sentiment stamps plus one die that says Congratulations.

I did finally buy one matching flower die/stamp set but the jury is out how I'll use them. I may even draw (wonkily!) on the die cuts.

There are a couple other very popular trends that don't do it for me, but style is so individual, I figure it's just my personal taste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I quit stamping 10 or so years ago because I could never get a consistent stamp. Sometimes I would stamp clearly and sometimes I wouldn't. Then I found MISTI and it made stamping so much easier. But I still use dies. Why? I like the tactile feel. And maybe it is because I have invested soooo much money in dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So far, I've resisted buying a die cut machine so I'm still fussy cutting if I want something like that.

But since I came into this late in life ;) I really enjoy stamping images and then coloring them, most of my tools are watercolor pencils, colored pencils and markers. So far, it's all I seem to need to create the types of card I make. I'm a simple needs type of gal!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree with the OP and others here that dies are so popular now that they seem to be taking over a lot of the cards I see. Many of them are beautiful and I have bought and use my fair share of dies, but my real love is stamping, coloring in particular, or creating scenes with backgrounds and silhouette type images. I kind of feel like I'm cheating when I make an all-die cut card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to agree that die cuts are becoming more popular than stamping......most of the major stores are doing away with their rubber stamps completely. That being said, I do like dies but stamping is still my first love and always will be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
I agree with the OP and others here that dies are so popular now that they seem to be taking over a lot of the cards I see. Many of them are beautiful and I have bought and use my fair share of dies, but my real love is stamping, coloring in particular, or creating scenes with backgrounds and silhouette type images. I kind of feel like I'm cheating when I make an all-die cut card.
Your post gave me a wow/memory moment I had forgotten, though it wasn't all that long ago. When I started stamping that's how I felt about stamps. IOW, if I didn't draw an image myself, it was cheating. Because it wasn't "real" art.

I came to terms with it, fully embraced the word "craft," and when I added die cuts, it didn't dawn on me that there was a parallel, but of course there is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Stamping and coloring will always be my favorite way to make cards but it takes a lot of time to color the type of images I like. I stamp a lot of images and color them in when I have time. But this year I have made lots of cards with patterned paper and dies and all my 2016 Christmas cards are die cards, only stamping is the inside sentiment. This gave me tons of extra time to color my already stamped images for the rest of the year and not feel rushed to get a card done. I hope family and friends will like the die cut cards and I'll be interested to see if I get comments about my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #13  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

My dies are almost all basic shapes, so I still use my stamps a lot. I also like to fussy cut. It is so relaxing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks, Vickie, for mentioning my cas card this week. It is the challenge I try to get dome each week not matter how busy my week. I am happy that you liked it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 04:42 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Stamping is my first love, altho I like when I can use a die cut just to pop something out and/or add some dimension to the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

What do you mean by die cuts? When I read the comments I'm getting mixed messages on what everyone thinks is a die cut. There are the dies you use with your stamps, there are the dies you use to make a dimensional element for you project and there are die cuts that are pre-printed and cut out. When I think if die cuts I think of the latter. The former two are dies that cut. As for the dies that cut, I much prefer to either die cut or fussy cut images I stamp. I don't care for flat one layer cards. They are just to blah for me. But...we all have different tastes. I've done a few cards in the past where I used actual die cuts and I have no shame admitting that.

I work full time and am a single homeowner. So I don't have a lot of time to sit around all day or evening stamping and coloring. For some that makes a difference in the style of card making they do.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the diversity and dimension that a die can add to a project. Stamping, coloring, and using pretty DSP is also fun! Trying something new and adding variety keeps me interested in paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a real jolt this year when, after I signed all my Christmas cards, I looked at them and realized that they were mainly made with die-cuts! If there was stamping, it was to stamp the image - then die cut it with the matching die! I really did feel like I 'cheated' this year.... Although I love the dies (thinlits & framelits), I'm really looking forward to getting back to 'basics' - stamping & colouring - with the new stamps & watercolour pencils from SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeborahSView Post
I had a real jolt this year when, after I signed all my Christmas cards, I looked at them and realized that they were mainly made with die-cuts! If there was stamping, it was to stamp the image - then die cut it with the matching die! I really did feel like I 'cheated' this year.... Although I love the dies (thinlits & framelits), I'm really looking forward to getting back to 'basics' - stamping & colouring - with the new stamps & watercolour pencils from SU!
The cheating aspect has come up twice and is interesting - and a little confusing.

We didn't design/create the stamps, and we didn't design/create the dies. So for me they're equal. One leaves ink on paper; one leaves paper on paper. Or foil, felt, etc.

With both we do create design: placement, color (of ink or paper), and if we choose, coloring. (We can color stamps and we can add color to die cuts.) We can emboss or embellish both.

Just my take; YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't consider using dies "cheating" any more than I consider digital stamps "cheating" (which also got a lot of flack when they first appeared - I'm not going to re-hash that mess, though) - I just prefer to have more "image" and less "other stuff" on cards - totally a personal preference thing.

I also prefer fussy-cutting to cutting images out with dies because I'm not a fan of the white border left by most dies-to-match. Again - personal preference. I do have the Crazy Birds dies because those are next to impossible to fussy-cut, and a few others, so I'm not a zealot, by any stretch. I totally, completely, and in all possible ways understand people who use dies because of personal preference, physical limitations, time restraints, or whatever reason.

I think it's amazing and wonderful and exciting that there are so many ways to approach what we do! Still, it's nice to get validation on a particular thing where we might feel "odd man out" or something, which I think might have been the original intent of the thread...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't consider using dies "cheating" any more than I consider digital stamps "cheating" (which also got a lot of flack when they first appeared - I'm not going to re-hash that mess, though) - I just prefer to have more "image" and less "other stuff" on cards - totally a personal preference thing.

I also prefer fussy-cutting to cutting images out with dies because I'm not a fan of the white border left by most dies-to-match. Again - personal preference. I do have the Crazy Birds dies because those are next to impossible to fussy-cut, and a few others, so I'm not a zealot, by any stretch. I totally, completely, and in all possible ways understand people who use dies because of personal preference, physical limitations, time restraints, or whatever reason.

I think it's amazing and wonderful and exciting that there are so many ways to approach what we do! Still, it's nice to get validation on a particular thing where we might feel "odd man out" or something, which I think might have been the original intent of the thread...?
Ditto your last paragraph. What's meh for one is hurray for another and vice versa, and it's comforting not to feel like you're the only one.

BTW, I love dies, but don't have any dies-to-match sets of the type you mention with one exception. I don't even have die-stamp sets, other than what was mentioned above. I like pulling from different sets to make a card, whether it be stamps, dies, or both. I get a little itchy when things are too matchy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

This thread got me curious about my own use so I looked at my most recent page in my SCS gallery - 96 cards made between July 13 and yesterday - and worked out some numbers. I counted the number of times I used stamps, dies, stencils, and embossing folders on cards. Here's what I used:

stamps - 82
dies - 51
stencils - 13
embossing folders - 14

On many cards there was a combination, but I did another count of the cards that used stamping only and die cuts only:

stamping only - 28
dies only - 5

I was pleased to see that stamps still play a really big part in my cards, but I love dies and the versatility they give me.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
This thread got me curious about my own use so I looked at my most recent page in my SCS gallery - 96 cards made between July 13 and yesterday - and worked out some numbers. I counted the number of times I used stamps, dies, stencils, and embossing folders on cards. Here's what I used:

stamps - 82
dies - 51
stencils - 13
embossing folders - 14

On many cards there was a combination, but I did another count of the cards that used stamping only and die cuts only:

stamping only - 28
dies only - 5

I was pleased to see that stamps still play a really big part in my cards, but I love dies and the versatility they give me.
Love that you ran the metrics
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting to see how my thread was interpreted. Thanks Sue, you understood where I was coming from. I love dies, have many of them, embossing folders too, but my first love and what got me into paper crafting was stamping. I guess what I was getting at is that you see so many cards now that use mainly dies. Yes, they are beautiful, yes, I love them. I just have noticed that plain and simple beautifully stamped cards are not the norm anymore. Love reading all of your thoughts and feelings.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I can recall that years ago I didn't like that cards were beginning to look more like scrapbook pages with all the die cuts items being used. I also recall I didn't really care for digi images. Fast forward to now and I've "mellowed". I use digi images for one time images when it just doesn't make sense to buy a stamps and I've fully embraced dies. I have very few dies that match stamps. My dies are boarders, shapes, and things that I can use in mixed media.

Perhaps dies are used more frequently because it's easier than learning how to stamp and color and dies can be faster. Overall, I welcome any type of card so long as it's done well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Neat transition description stamphappy. My dies sound somewhat similar to yours, though I do have an abundance of leaves.

For me dies are simply another element to consider when designing a card, box, mini-book, etc., not a replacement due to being easier. (I had a great teacher and love stamping.)

I'm not drawn to the huge coloring trend, even though I've made stamped coloring books, but they were gifts. I add color with a variety of mediums though. Trend history is pretty interesting, if you look back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Neat transition description stamphappy. My dies sound somewhat similar to yours, though I do have an abundance of leaves.

For me dies are simply another element to consider when designing a card, box, mini-book, etc., not a replacement due to being easier. (I had a great teacher and love stamping.)

I'm not drawn to the huge coloring trend, even though I've made stamped coloring books, but they were gifts. I add color with a variety of mediums though. Trend history is pretty interesting, if you look back.
Oh crud! I should have mentioned my boat load of flower dies because I love to make 3-d flowers. :p

I'm not into the coloring books either. Why bother when I have stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

A stamp/die cut marriage. : ) Jennifer McGuire shows stamping with a die cut in today's blog video. The first part of the video demos die inlaying, but if you fast forward to 5:40, you'll see how she uses her die cut as a background stamp.

Stretching Your Supplies: Dies + GIVEAWAY - Jennifer McGuire Ink

How many techniques seem obvious after someone else has thought of them? Love this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

A stamp/die cut marriage. : ) Jennifer McGuire shows stamping with a die cut in today's blog video. The first part of the video demos die inlaying, but if you fast forward to 5:40, you'll see how she uses her die cut as a background stamp.

How many techniques seem obvious after someone else has thought of them? Love this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

We have a gallery for that, although I don't think Alma used the sticky sheet in the tutorial.
Tutorial:Die Cut Stamps Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Gallery: Stampin Up! Gallery: Die Cut Stamps - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers

I can see with the fine outline detail in that heart die that using the sticky sheet would be much easier, any time I've done it I've just used a glue stick.

The tree in THIS card turned out so well that I actually stuck it to a wood block to use again, I loved the way the contouring in the die gave a two-tone look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Like many of you have stated, I, too am a stamper who mostly makes cards. Sometimes I make decorative pieces, but mostly cards. Some people make cards using die cuts, layers of decorative paper and or embossing folder layers. Their cards are beautiful and in many cases more intricate than stamping. If people are creating things, whether cards, pictures, scrapbook pages, wrapping paper or any other paper art, then I say, "Woohoo!" I wouldn't say that an object that has only a greeting or sentiment stamped as stamping, no would I say that a digi image the was colored is stamping. The digital image has been printed, much the same way as a newspaper or book is printed, not stamped. Nonetheless, I have seen some great cards/pieces of art made this way. I just think the term "stamping" should be reserved for art that has been mostly stamped. That does not mean a card that has a background that has been embossed or the focal point set on a die cut panel aren't stamping if there is more stamping than just a few words. They are all paper crafting, for sure, but not all paper crafting is stamping. This is just me speaking, but if I stamped a greeting on an oil painting, I wouldn't call that stamping either, whether I painted it or someone else had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2016, 01:13 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
We have a gallery for that, although I don't think Alma used the sticky sheet in the tutorial.
Tutorial:Die Cut Stamps Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Gallery: Stampin Up! Gallery: Die Cut Stamps - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers

I can see with the fine outline detail in that heart die that using the sticky sheet would be much easier, any time I've done it I've just used a glue stick.

The tree in THIS card turned out so well that I actually stuck it to a wood block to use again, I loved the way the contouring in the die gave a two-tone look.
That's beautiful, Sabrina - saving it is just the right thing to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Kinda funny to run across this thread now. Just yesterday I was watching a recently released video by Gina K where she masked a background and added silhouette stamping. No die cuts, no sequins and she even added a bow! I was going to look at the date to see if it was a re-release but then wondered why. If it's fun to make and someone might enjoy it, go for it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to stamp and I like to use die cuts on a card. But when I am in a huge rush, I purchase graphics from a place like Creative Market, print them off, cut or die cut into cards or tags, add some stamping and manage to produce a lot of cards/tags quite quickly. Here are a couple of examples using a wreath graphic from Creative Market, Papertrey dies, stamps from Michaels, and a few rhinestones.

Last edited by itzann; 12-31-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

What great cards, Itzann! Who knew you could do so much with a purchased graphic? Love them! Very creative, too...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Those are some super cute cards! I have the die from PTI (Quilted, I think), and I need to use it more often. I do love the versatility of some of my dies. For example, I used Holly dies from PTI to add a felt accent to a cross stitch piece I made recently, and it was just the right accent to the project. If I can get double mileage out of basic shape dies, then I think they are worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Die cut to death!-img_5487.jpg   Die cut to death!-img_5489.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

And here's another project I made using dies (PTI) to make a fun felt and ribbon bookmark. I doubt I could have fussy cut these, so the dies really made the project easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Die cut to death!-img_5232.jpg   Die cut to death!-fullsizerender-45-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Those are Thinlits? I didn't realize they would cut felt. I kind of thought that when we moved away from the big thick dies, we moved away from cutting anything but paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Those are Thinlits? I didn't realize they would cut felt. I kind of thought that when we moved away from the big thick dies, we moved away from cutting anything but paper.
I've cut felt with my My Favorite Things framelits and thinlits and I assume most would do the same!

I think they can also cut corkboard and thin matboard
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cute projects, Mary Rose!

It's my understanding that you can cut anything with fibers with a thin die. They "cut" by forcing the fibers apart. Can't cut anything like a tin can, though (although it would emboss it)...

Reply With Quote Likes