Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:23 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts
Default Crafty presents.... what'd you get?

Did you get any crafty toys for Christmas? I'd love to see what you're playing with!

I have been having fun nerdily planning and charting and filling this new watercolor palette - it's so fun to have all my paints in one place!

There are a few more pictures on my blog today.

I also tucked a set of the ClarityStamps stencil brushes in my stocking - I haven't gotten to play with them yet. ;)

What about you?
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

I got a photography light box similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Ph...y+lighting+box

Plus, not so much crafting toys, but DH got me a gift card for enough to do either two sessions myself or one for me and a friend from Craft + Cork. Craft + Cork - DIY Art Studio It's sort of like a Wine and Canvas but offers other crafting options (including stamping) and beer.

My youngest son got me a print from my favorite comic artist, Lynn Johnston (For Better or For Worse.) The print had a quality issue (I had to really look to find it) and she sent a personal letter to my son with the print apologizing for the quality and said that another print would be sent but that she assumed that this was a Christmas present so she wanted him to have a print to give. I was more impressed with the letter than the print, which I LOVED. I'll frame the nicer print when it arrives and also the letter.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

A Michaels gift card which I used yesterday on the 26th to purchase all my Christmas paper for next year at 70% off! Lots of treasures left at the store I was at! Big score!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol I got an Amazon gift card for "reading" but you KNOW it will be used for crafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 165 Likes on 130 Posts

I got a Minc Mini. I went to Joanne's yesterday and they had rolls of foils (usually $9.99) and packages of toner-printed embellishments and tags for foiling (usually $3.99) on sale for 40% off. I'm in foiling heaven!

March to the Beat Round 4

Baker’s Dozen Round 37
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I asked for and got a precision press. I decided on it over misti after watching at least 10 videos comparing the two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a new pair of standard cutting plates for my Big Shot and a size 11 pair of bamboo knitting needles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 07:37 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

dies and dies and more dies....all of which I was able to pick out myself......that watercolor holder would blow my mind......but I'm not an artist.....I have trouble deciding between blues and greens int the 40 watercolor crayons I have at present and the 50 or so watercolor pencils as well. I am trying to carve out blocks of time to spend in the craft room working with my new toys inbetween visits from grandkids and their parents. Plus a DH who wants me to take my cameras and go with him on a ramble to shoot......at least I don't have a "back to work deadline" anymore......

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I got a new pair of standard cutting plates for my Big Shot and a size 11 pair of bamboo knitting needles!
Is there something special about bamboo knitting needles? I often gift knitting tools, etc. to my DIL. ;)

OMGosh ... this just reminds me that I still have 2 recent knitting magazines stashed "somewhere" for her!!! :shock: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #10  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

I was tickled to receive a 60-set of the Zig Clean Color Brush pens! Yaaay! That's been a long-standing item on my wish list, so I hope I enjoy this additional coloring tool.

Dini, I recently gifted myself with the Clarity brushes. Like you, I haven't been able to play with them yet, but sure looking forward to it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Is there something special about bamboo knitting needles?
I'm sure Cobby will answer but just to add an extra vote for bamboo! They have a "warmer" feel than metal needles which is great for anybody with circulation issues, they're strong and lightweight and most airlines will let you travel with them in carry-on baggage (whereas metal ones tend to be classed along with scissors and knives as a non-no).

I have a set of bamboo needles, a set of bamboo DPNs and although not bamboo, the wooden KnitPro Symfonie circulars are similarly lovely to work with (like this set). I dislike using any other needles these days.

I'd imagine any knitter would love you for a gift of good quality bamboo needles

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm going to sound totally ungrateful, but the reality is this: my dear friend in NY has listened to me chronicle the purging that I've been doing for over two years now - getting rid of stamps, mostly. Bless her heart, but she sent me FIVE sets of stamps! I know her intentions were good, but...really? Aside from that, I needed (and got) some reinkers for my Archival and Versafine pads... I don't want or need anything else, so I told all of my family to skip gifts for me - just come spend time with me when you can...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I'm sure Cobby will answer but just to add an extra vote for bamboo! They have a "warmer" feel than metal needles which is great for anybody with circulation issues, they're strong and lightweight and most airlines will let you travel with them in carry-on baggage (whereas metal ones tend to be classed along with scissors and knives as a non-no).

I have a set of bamboo needles, a set of bamboo DPNs and although not bamboo, the wooden KnitPro Symfonie circulars are similarly lovely to work with (like this set). I dislike using any other needles these days.

I'd imagine any knitter would love you for a gift of good quality bamboo needles
I love my bamboo needles. They're light, and feel and sound so much nicer than plastic (ick) or metal ones. I have a wooden crochet hook, and it's also lovely
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I got Clearly Besotted clear stamps and dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got an Ott Lite for my crafting table from my sweet Mom. I LOVE it! How have I been crafting in my basement for this long without it? It's awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

maryrose, I cannot craft without one (and sometimes I use 2!)~!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #17  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of crafty gifts this year (it helps when the wish list is only craft items ☺). I love everything I got but am especially happy to have received some more Pan Pastels and various sponges and knives, an All-Purpose Ink Mini-Workstation plus some additional ink colors, the Big Shot organizer to hold the cutting pads and the 8.5 inch Tonic / Tim Holtz trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #18  

Received 847 Likes on 280 Posts

i didn't get a single crafty thing. Not under the tree, not in my stocking :(

The only things I really and truly wanted that were craft related were a stand to hold my phone (not a tripod) so i can do videos, and a gift certificate to my favorite beading store so I could get some beads that i wouldn't necessarily buy for myself cuz they're pricey and I'm thrifty.

My birthday is coming up soon though so maybe.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I got a MISTI, a 132 set of Prismacolors, and a bunch of Tim Holtz dies and stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm going to sound totally ungrateful, but the reality is this: my dear friend in NY has listened to me chronicle the purging that I've been doing for over two years now - getting rid of stamps, mostly. Bless her heart, but she sent me FIVE sets of stamps! I know her intentions were good, but...really? Aside from that, I needed (and got) some reinkers for my Archival and Versafine pads... I don't want or need anything else, so I told all of my family to skip gifts for me - just come spend time with me when you can...
My Mom has been saying for years not to buy her anything, but it's hard!
I just had a birthday that ends in a zero, so I invited family over. I specifically said "Bring a dish instead of a gift." They all brought both. It's hard!

Anyway, nothing crafty. They all know I have enough.

I did ask for, and got, a P Touch label maker. Already time to buy a refill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I hate to burst your bubble, Lynne, but - at my house, at least - the P Touch lives in the craft room and is used solely in the craft room and, therefore, qualifies as a "crafty item", lol...

I forgot to share the quirkiness that is my DH... We had agreed not to exchange gifts, but I saw some slippers at the grocery store and he DID need them, so I bought them. There was a puzzle there that caught my eye, too, so I got it so DH wouldn't be upset at an imbalance. When he got home from work he saw them wrapped and under the tree and so I told him that I just saw a couple of things at the grocery store that I decided to get. His reaction was "You went Christmas shopping at the grocery store?" Well, yes and no...

Christmas Eve day he had to run to Home Depot for something and came bag with a couple of bags and asked where the wrapping paper was and disappeared for a while. He came out with five or six things and I was...annoyed. He said not to worry, we'd share two of them, and the others were for my stocking and totaled less than $4. Christmas morning I opened them: Rolos, Whoppers, and a can of tomato soup! "If you can go Christmas shopping at the grocery store, then so can I", says he...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My husband and I exchange gifts on New Year's Eve, but I got two gifts a while back that I asked to be my holiday gifts: a Carl Cutter, which I adore and can't believe what it will cut through, and a big box of refills for my pink Tombow stamp runners, since it's been discontinued. I have enough refills for a few years, maybe.

How many people outside of here understand the joy of adhesives?

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I hate to burst your bubble, Lynne, but - at my house, at least - the P Touch lives in the craft room and is used solely in the craft room and, therefore, qualifies as a "crafty item", lol...

I forgot to share the quirkiness that is my DH... We had agreed not to exchange gifts, but I saw some slippers at the grocery store and he DID need them, so I bought them. There was a puzzle there that caught my eye, too, so I got it so DH wouldn't be upset at an imbalance. When he got home from work he saw them wrapped and under the tree and so I told him that I just saw a couple of things at the grocery store that I decided to get. His reaction was "You went Christmas shopping at the grocery store?" Well, yes and no...

Christmas Eve day he had to run to Home Depot for something and came bag with a couple of bags and asked where the wrapping paper was and disappeared for a while. He came out with five or six things and I was...annoyed. He said not to worry, we'd share two of them, and the others were for my stocking and totaled less than $4. Christmas morning I opened them: Rolos, Whoppers, and a can of tomato soup! "If you can go Christmas shopping at the grocery store, then so can I", says he...
I like his style!!

Just wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My husband and I don't buy for each other any more. We don't need anything so I tell my family and friends not to get us anything. But.... I did buy a used Big Kick off Kijiji as back up for when my beloved Cuttlebug bites the dust. I try not to buy Provo Craft products (still hanging on to that), and the Big Kick was such a good price and I need a backup so I couldn't resist. So I told hubby that was his gift to me. He just grunted - his usual response when I talk about craft stuff.

And I wanted to say about the bamboo knitting needles... I love mine. I've been knitting well over 40 years and I knit a lot (A LOT). With carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, these have been a god send. They warm up with the heat of your hands and are flexible. I have some size 2.5mm that I use for socks that are permanently curved now, but they are my most favourite. And you don't need expensive needles - I don't think it makes you a better knitter. I use these cheap ones I found on Amazon (dpns, circs, & crochet hooks)

The nice thing about them being so inexpensive is if I break or lose one, I don't feel bad and I can easily replace the set without emptying my bank account. The only draw back is that you would have to buy a whole set. I haven't broken any yet or lost any, but if I did have to, I can always use more needles for holding projects on. If I use stitch holders and my project is on hold too long, I forget what size needle I was using (I often don't use patterns so don't have that as a reference). There are some negative reviews on these needles, but my experience has been nothing but positive with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
maryrose, I cannot craft without one (and sometimes I use 2!)~!
I have an Ott Lite floor lamp that I use upstairs in my stitching room. It really helps my old eyes see when I'm doing needle art of any kind. My husband loves it, too. I often see him sitting in my chair reading with the lamp on. It's like a Happy Lamp in the winter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a MISTI, a gift-card to a crafty store and a box of packaging goodies (treat bags, treat boxes, envelopes, etc) which I'm super excited about. I love baking and making paper things, so being able to package and send them all pretty-looking is a lot of fun.

I also got an unexpected Christmas bonus at work, so I treated myself to a large end-of-year shopping spree and knocked out the last of stamps and dies on my crafty wishlist. A lot of them happened to be on sale (boxing day), so it felt like I really got a lot of bang for my buck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

My husband came up with the best crafty gift. He ordered two 2*6 feet metal sheets in the brown tone of my craft room. He's going to mount them on the inside of my craft room closet so all my stamps and dies can be visible at once just by opening the doors. I'm so excited to get started on my reorganization. I'm hoping they are light enough to write on with a dry erase marker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 AM   #28  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I got some sweet snowman stamps ( great, as I put myself on a snowman freeze even though I think you can never have too many!!) and a lovely matching Sizzix EF and stamp as part of a gift. My Moddy Christmas shopping basket includes a decent crimper and some Yupo paper amongst other things so I'll be getting those in the new yeat. Mostly I will just be glad to find time to use what I have.

On knitting needles, yes, I too prefer bamboo to metal or plastic by a mile but they do go blunt over time :-(. I have really enjoyed using the wooden (birch, from CA) Brittany needles. And actually the carbon fibre ones are super and don't warp as much as my bamboo ones.... they have a steel tip so should stay sharp for life, and are lovely and light.

Dina, that palette looks beautiful!!
Sue, loved your shopping story.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I got some stamps from Beloved Hubby. Katzelkraft Angry Penguins, and two sheets of cat stamps. Then some Paper Artsy Monster stamps. I will be buying a Misti later today- one of our online stores has a 20% off everything deal, and although I'm not certain I need it, , I know eventually I will decide I want it, and will be annoyed at paying full price. I have also dipped into some craft site sales, and got a few goodies - like a couple of Christmas Wreath dies- that I know I will get use out of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 05:30 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I get the same thing every year, cash to spend at the stamp convention that comes to the area in Jan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I was gifted with a Memory Misti, love it, 2 Anna Griffin Cricut Cartridges, and the one year subscription to Cricut's access program. Non crafty - a hand held mixer, I have a kitchen aid stand mixer, but I haven't had a hand held one for years.

I don't knit but I do crochet and I have some of the bamboo crochet hooks, love them, so much nicer than metal hooks. I'm crocheting the Amagaromi style Star Wars characters (it's a kit we found at JoAnn's that has the patterns for all the characters but yarn for 2), and DS gifted me with the Christmas character set he found at Costco, this set is Rudolph and friends, love it.

Last edited by ladybugstamper2; 12-28-2016 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked for and received a Foldio Lightbox Studio: https://www.amazon.com/Orangemonkie-...words=foldioIt It is set up but I haven't had a chance to take a picture of a card yet. I'm excited to get this, I never could get the hang of the lights of my old one, plus there were always shadows and it takes up so much room! And with it being dark as soon as I get home from work now, I can take pictures whenever my card is done!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Run, don't walk, to your nearest Michaels for 70% off Christmas stamps and paper. Was there again yesterday and scoped up more items including packages of Bakers twine (light silver/white and light gold) at a fraction of the price! Did anyone hit JoAnn's?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Nothing, zip, nada! Well, I did get Dec. Paper Pumpkin...maybe that counts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

*cough*
as I happen to be the main shopper in our world and Santa loves me... :mrgreen:
So, I have a little pile of reproduction PSX stamps from the new Addicted to rubber stamps site. ( they are wood mounted ( the only way they offer them) they all appear to be really well done, the only thing is the images are burned? maybe pressed into the wood where the index sticker would be, and they are a pale brown color. so, when your eyesight is getting iffy I personally would have liked those images a little darker or black but, I have not inked any of them as of yet & The rubber looks deeply etched.
the interesting thing is they did not mark the stamps at all ( with what they named the images) so, I am debating writing on the blocks or something.

Dina that Pallet is awesome, Sue your hubs is a keeper

all you people who knit? ( my mil knits & crochets) and all her needles are metal.
so, if I were to go shopping for one in a wood what size do you think you use the most?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 364 Likes on 266 Posts

WOW Dina that palette has me drooling! :p It's awesome! For Christmas I got a crafty gift from one of my nieces...some floursack towels, floss, and several iron on transfers from Sublime Stitching (love their designs)...guess she's in need of some new kitchen towels :rolleyes: I give those as gifts but haven't done it in a few years. I enjoy doing that in the evening ....it's an easy thing to do while watching tv.
I did take advantage of a Black Friday sale a few weeks ago and purchased several ODBD dies I had my eye on....also a stamp set. I've been having fun with those.
It's fun hearing what everyone got
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

My sister, who is a Stampin Up! demonstrator, gave me a gift certificate to shop with her! My birthday is a week before Christmas and hubby let me order a Stamp N Storage combo holder for ink pads, markers and re-inkers. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

10 bottles of Distress Spray stains and Michaels's gift card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #39  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

@ Stacy ~ I'd have to do an American to metric conversion but, the most useful size really depends on what weight of wool she uses most. The two weights I use most are DK and Aran, which is I think called sport weight over there? For those I would most commonly use a 6 (DK) and a 7 or 8. 8 was the size I splurged on the carbon fibre needles :mrgreen:. But then you always need smaller sizes for knitting the welts, so there isn't a one size fits all answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was lucky enough to receive a big shot plus, the perfect stamping tool, numerous dies and several stamp sets. I must have been a good girl this year!
Reply With Quote Likes