Thread: Gelli plate
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #19
bjeans
Glitter Guru

Well first, how great that you're getting wonderful results! It's hard to tell without seeing what you're doing, type of paint, etc. I'm not an expert but dried paint has come off for me - but it's from the current session. But maybe you just have really stubborn paint. (I've used Goldens, Liquitex, Studio Calico and a couple others, all heavy bodied paint so a little slower drying.)

I assume you're using acrylic paint, that you're not using glossy paper, and the dried paint is just here and there - not an entire coated plate. Things to maybe try:

- Apply a coat of white on top, applying pressure over the entire plate with your hand or a brayer, and then pull. I don't know why white sometimes works where other colors don't, but I was taught that at The Queen's Ink, where we made Gelli print mini-books, and have read it several times. Maybe the binders?

- If that doesn't work, apply white paint, put the paper down, press it, and leave it for 24 hours, then pull. I've never tried this so can't vouch for it.

- If that same dried paint is there from way back when, maybe you'll want to start fresh and clean the plate, and not use that particular paint when you retry. I wash with a drop of dawn and warm water, and am *very* gentle, just using my fingers/palms, no nails.

GelliArts says dried paint "may" be removed by pulling a print with new paint, but they recommend cleaning between sessions. And others say "some" dried paint may be removed.

I just have a feeling it's tough-as-nails paint if you've been following Patty Tolley Parrish's techniques. She's a gelli print guru and I learned from her videos too, then used Gelli plates at a couple of LSS's.

Please report back what happens! Or if you're in the DC/VA/MD area, bring it over, haha. : )
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!