Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Real Time" card making friends- how to?

I am finding my orginal card making friends too busy with their lives and no longer sharing our hobby. I seem to be the only one sharing an idea, technique, finished card. How do you out there find similar interest people.
Splitcoaststampers is a great virtual friend, but I really miss the sharing in real time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have converted my SIL/Best Friend from making Jewelery to card making lol! Not much help I am afraid as I don't have anyone other then her, but I would check to see if there are any groups etc that meet in your area, or if you have a scrapbooking store near by see if they have any meets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

come join our threads in the section___ get togethers.post where you live.several are in the rochester and buffalo areas.
there are CNY,WNY,flower city among others
you will have new stamping friends in no time
feel free to PM any questions,gayla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Do you mean in real life? Or online? One of the best ways I've found aside from our Get it Together forum is to go have coffee somewhere and stamp! Someone always strikes up a conversation with me And if you can find some local direct sales people who are holding events and classes, that's fun too - there's Stampin' Up!, Close to My Heart, Fun Stamper's Journey.

If you're lucky enough to have a local scrapbook/stamp store - enroll in classes - I've met great people that way too.

I hope you can find a crafty group - it's so much fun to stamp with friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Default Read time card buddies

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Do you mean in real life? Or online? One of the best ways I've found aside from our Get it Together forum is to go have coffee somewhere and stamp! Someone always strikes up a conversation with me And if you can find some local direct sales people who are holding events and classes, that's fun too - there's Stampin' Up!, Close to My Heart, Fun Stamper's Journey.

If you're lucky enough to have a local scrapbook/stamp store - enroll in classes - I've met great people that way too.

I hope you can find a crafty group - it's so much fun to stamp with friends.
Your ideas are all so good.

Yes, I mean real time. I have gone to classes. They appear to be just coloring and gluing. People seem to come in couples and appear to be so busy getting the project done, they don't share ideas. I do go to a monthly demo day of new products at my local small business stamp store. Have been going for two years. Have tried to share; Given my phone/email to several people; invited several to get together-- no luck.

One gal at a gathering gave me a full schedule of when a group gets together, but did not reply when asked where? I Am beginning to worry, there is something wrong with me.

I went to a stampin Up technique group for years but our demonstrator seem to burn out. This is what I meant that people seem to be dropping out.

I don't mean to sound like a whiner; just stating, I have done most of the obvious things.

Naturally, Splitcoaststampers have already come through. I have received two private messages from gals in my area. Will keep you up to date on my search for others like me. Thanks for your imput.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have at least 12 diff people to stamp with. It was a blastvtohave different mixes of friends come every monthbto stamp. Some have moved and I havent stamped in 3 months! Im not missing it. I never thought I would say that. I miss my friends though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 02:17 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I retired a year ago. I have several friends "back home" in Michigan to stamp with and belong to a Stamping Club that I rarely can attend anymore ( Miss you Girls!!!).
I winter in Florida and have contacted an SU Demo in the area (Orlando area).
I have not been able to find an LSS or stamp store that is close.
I understand... It's hard to meet people. I haven't met anyone yet either.
My DH and I do a lot together, but he doesn't stamp and I really don't want him shopping with me at a craft store :-p
No answers for you but I wish you luck!!

Last edited by bdeyes9; 12-03-2016 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: grammer and Spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 03:35 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

estamps, I know what you mean about people being "so busy getting the project done." Some technique/project classes I've attended have been so fast-paced that people are heads down and barely come up for air, let alone visit.

And it is harder to meet people as adults; so many people have busy lives and friendships have been set for years. It's not like when a kid, where everything is more fluid. It's great that some SCSers have already reached out to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 05:00 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you in any other groups, like gardening or knitting? My book club decided to hold a craft day a couple of years ago--some people were doing needlework or crochet, but I brought a bunch of stamps, inks, and paper supplies and by the end of the afternoon, everyone had made a few cards. Now our craft day is a regular thing and everyone looks forward to stamping, even though it's not something they do regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

One idea popped into my head - does your local library or community center have craft classes or events you could attend? If not, maybe you could start one at either of those places. There just may be other stampers out there looking for a way to connect but have not found the means to do it! If you attend church, you could advertise in the church bulletin that you are looking for stampers to craft with.

I hear you on the goal-oriented nature of crafting at classes. The emphasis is on quick and easy, not slow and enjoyable. This is why I don't take classes. I enjoy the process and do not like to be rushed. My mom and two women I know from church come over once a month to make cards that I design ahead of time. We make three cards and it takes us hours because we laugh and talk while we make them. None of them stamp much outside of us meeting, though, but that is ok because we meet really for the fun, not just to have some cards to take home! I am the die-hard stamper in the group. As far as having a busy life, I am just too boring for that LOL! I have three teen daughters and a husband, a great church, an awesome extended family nearby, and hobbies I love. That is all I need. I know the slower-paced life isn't exciting to some, but it is what satisfies my soul.

I really hope you find people to stamp with! Keep looking....I just know they are out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

My pity party is over. I have some ideas forming. I had two PMs from local gals. After the holidays, we will meet for coffee and maybe go forward. Thank you to all who responded and for all your ideas.
Another friend moved and it just seemed like my hobby world was suffering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

hope you and Connie get together.I also put Connie in touch w/beth.also in buffalo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
One idea popped into my head - does your local library or community center have craft classes or events you could attend? If not, maybe you could start one at either of those places. There just may be other stampers out there looking for a way to connect but have not found the means to do it! If you attend church, you could advertise in the church bulletin that you are looking for stampers to craft with.

I hear you on the goal-oriented nature of crafting at classes. The emphasis is on quick and easy, not slow and enjoyable. This is why I don't take classes. I enjoy the process and do not like to be rushed. My mom and two women I know from church come over once a month to make cards that I design ahead of time. We make three cards and it takes us hours because we laugh and talk while we make them. None of them stamp much outside of us meeting, though, but that is ok because we meet really for the fun, not just to have some cards to take home! I am the die-hard stamper in the group. As far as having a busy life, I am just too boring for that LOL! I have three teen daughters and a husband, a great church, an awesome extended family nearby, and hobbies I love. That is all I need. I know the slower-paced life isn't exciting to some, but it is what satisfies my soul.

I really hope you find people to stamp with! Keep looking....I just know they are out there!
cnsteele, you said, "I hear you on the goal-oriented nature of crafting at classes. The emphasis is on quick and easy, not slow and enjoyable. This is why I don't take classes. I enjoy the process and do not like to be rushed."

Ditto! And some classes I've taken - not card classes - have projects with lots of steps or they're fairly advanced, so concentration is key. Though in a class last week a project had many steps and the teacher was so good and the people at my table so nice, we did visit and laugh too.

Where I can feel rushed and/or stressed is in a class where you have to come up with a design. For me, design often needs to percolate, and it may even be the same day when something hits me. I know intellectually the point is to learn the process so I can repeat it on my own in my own time and way, but it's hard to shake off the stress of designing on the fly.

So I take classes and feel so lucky they're available, but try to be selective and also pass on all dayers.

And you don't sound boring at all. You seem to be comfortable with who you are and spend your time in a way to bring you the most satisfaction and joy. That's priceless and I'd guess somewhat rare.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Default Intouch

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
hope you and Connie get together.I also put Connie in touch w/beth.also in buffalo
I dont know a Beth. Are you a site monitor? Im confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 06:10 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default In touch

Quote:

I do not know a beth from Buffalo. Are you a site monitor? I am confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:49 AM   #16  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
My pity party is over. I have some ideas forming. I had two PMs from local gals. After the holidays, we will meet for coffee and maybe go forward. Thank you to all who responded and for all your ideas.
Another friend moved and it just seemed like my hobby world was suffering.

Aww - well I'm glad - that's awesome! I was coming back to suggest meetup.com as well. If you love techniques and more in-depth classes, sometimes that's a good place to find classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Correction: Design ideas often need to percolate, and it may NOT even be the same day (as the class) when inspiration hits. I know the point is to learn the process.

So when I feel rushed or stressed, I'm not as likely to focus on the people. In a recent class, no one talked for quite a while. Heads down, focused, fast. Not that conducive to making new stamping pals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

While I understand the reasoning there is a SU demo in my area who has a strict two hour limit. That would not be fun for me! My two demos hold class longer.

This gives me time to enjoy the class and connect with my stamping friends.

No one over stays. Everyone is aware of the time frame.

stampers need to have time to look at the catty & fill out an order too!

Both demos do extra prep work such as cut out pieces that require a die cut. That does speed things up.

I love my demos and appreciate their hard work!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 12-07-2016 at 03:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

After 10 years of being where I am after my hubby retired, I have FINALLY found someone/s to stamp with at church! We get together every week at one of the ladies homes & we stay pretty much all day, unless she has an appointment elsewhere. She LOVES IT & so do we! I teach the class & she helps. We are the only ones who know anything about stamping. But, the ladies want to get together, as we live in a VERY RURAL place with NOTHING about! We also go shopping together at times & out to eat, driving a good distance, of course. But, the women just enjoy learning & also each others company. I should also say, we're ALL pretty new to each other, but have hit it off well. It IS HARD to find stamping buddies! I KNOW!!!! I've tried SU Demonstrators over & over, & many of them don't teach "technique!" SCS IS THE PLACE to find that & I use it for the classes too in different ways---SCS IS THE RESOURCE for Stamping! ;) THANKS LADIES for EVERYTHING you do!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

ESTAMPS....so glad some people have reached out. I too love getting together in real time. There are a few people in my neck of the woods but not close enough to get together.:( Our Local place (Archivers) closed many years ago and there is not 1 single store that has classes here. I found a place near my summer home but that 262 miles away. They have classes but since summer is a real busy tourist time the classes are in fall, winter and early spring. All of which I cannot attend because my summer place is just that...a summer place! No heat.:mad: Tried 1 Stampin up group I found that was about 20 miles away but it was real "Clicky". I tried to fit in but just didn't. They were all young moms and I'm in my 60's.LOL now I sound like I'm having a pity party!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Hope you can get a group together. I have a few crafty friends who gather once a month that I crash but would love something closer. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I've made two real life stamping friends through SCS. They saw that I lived in the same city as they do and contacted me through SCS. So one thing is to be sure you put your city in the "location" line of your profile and it will come up with your photo whenever you post.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
ESTAMPS....so glad some people have reached out. I too love getting together in real time. There are a few people in my neck of the woods but not close enough to get together.:( Our Local place (Archivers) closed many years ago and there is not 1 single store that has classes here. I found a place near my summer home but that 262 miles away. They have classes but since summer is a real busy tourist time the classes are in fall, winter and early spring. All of which I cannot attend because my summer place is just that...a summer place! No heat.:mad: Tried 1 Stampin up group I found that was about 20 miles away but it was real "Clicky". I tried to fit in but just didn't. They were all young moms and I'm in my 60's.LOL now I sound like I'm having a pity party!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Hope you can get a group together. I have a few crafty friends who gather once a month that I crash but would love something closer. Good luck!

BUT, don't let age keep you from joining up with a group of younger women! The group of women I get together with, we have about 3-4 generations/age groups! We all just like to craft & they're wanting to learn to stamp! It wears me out some sometimes, as I'm one of the oldest in the group, but I TRY to keep up! LOL ;)
Save
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I have been a stamper for 17 years now. I have moved to a different town even. I formed two different stamp clubs in my time and have made many friends through them. Members come and go for various reasons, but I never take offense. Fads change but stamping seems to hang in there. Our current group has 26 members currently with some attending twice a month and some attending just once a month so that we have about 14 consistently. With a larger group we take turns making shoebox kits so that we make 7 cards a gathering. When we were a smaller group we all furnished a kit every gathering. When I moved, I placed a help notice in the Splitcoaststampers section for stampers in my locality. I lucked out and got several responses. It also helped joining a Stampin Up Demos monthly card making parties. I still attend it. 6 cards for $20. with a pizza supper. As far as gathering places, we meet at a pizza restaurant that gives us use of an area in exchange for us buying a meal. Our club is called the Retired Ladies Card Club so we meet during the day but they would also host us on a slower evening time slot. Our club is free (except for making a kit and lunch costs), where as the SU demo night is not. Just some ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Wow, Linda, my hat's off to you about the groups that you formed.

I'm so impressed by those of you who can be makers and visitors at the same time. I have to focus, even when simply gluing something to something. I get too distracted, so it's either make something or visit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

bjeans...playing with friends takes preparation. If you invite someone to come to visit and to share the craft with, have a few card ideas you would like to share and some to make. Having a sample and kits made ahead helps in not having to dig for products. Encourage them to suggest changes they might make if they were to make the same card again. Relax but work at making cards, save the gabbing for the time you share over lunch or when you are done creating. I like teaching different folds or techniques. Having a sample lets them see what the end goal is and so they aren't flying blind. You will find that other stampers will follow your lead and when you meet with them again, they will have something made to show you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Part of what I have been missing is sharing what I've made. Pictures dont always work and I am not looking for complements. Hence I rarely post. I want to talk over the techniques, colors, textures, etc. I agree with many of you that it takes focus and I do work well alone.

With three gals that contacted me from my area, we set up a coffee meet with a "show and tell" of our styles. We will go from there. Will keep you posted with our sucesses after the holidays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Hi Gayla! I know you gals too. You are all a "hoot". Although I don't get to see you all very much because I live just outside the Ithaca, NY area.... I LOVE the summer event in Hamburg and Linda's events in Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Love that you found some newbies to enjoy your craft with. Hope it all works out and grows to lasting friendships and leads to even more to your group of friends. I also meet with coffee to share cards with others. We love inspiring each other. I also enjoy one on one crafting times in my home. So there are lots of ways to make friends that love your craft and to share that craft. Find what works for you! Good Luck. If you ever want an online friend to share with, I am here also. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

I have just re-read my previous post and wonder how I got things so messed up! LOL It has to be because of the grandkids running around. I did not mean to imply that I have no one here to gather with. What I meant is that all the gatherings at local craft stores for classes has basically ended here. Our favorite place Archivers closed years ago and I met very nice people there but now with that closed and the other craft stores not having card classes I do get a bit sad. The nearest place for classes is 28 miles away or 1 near my summer home which is really far for a class. Before Archivers closed I did meet 2 lovely ladies whom I meet up with monthly along with 2 others. So 5 of us do card making together. I would like to find others interested in my area but I haven't found any yet. SCS is fabulous for sharing ideas and thoughts. I belong to a group here that is wonderful! Blogging helps too with getting ideas out. ESTAMPS I'm sure you will be able to find a few realtime friends through SCS. I'm sure I'll find others for some more real time too!Whewwwww.........not 1 grandkid storming in!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craf-T-BearView Post
Hi Gayla! I know you gals too. You are all a "hoot". Although I don't get to see you all very much because I live just outside the Ithaca, NY area.... I LOVE the summer event in Hamburg and Linda's events in Syracuse.

Diane is host an event in binghamton/Maine in feb.keep an eye on the get together section.tends to be about 20 ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
I dont know a Beth. Are you a site monitor? Im confused.
Gayla (snowcountry311) likes to find friends for those nearby in NYS. We know Beth from one of the NY stamping events and she lives in your area. I'm guessing Gayla told her to reach out to you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
Gayla (snowcountry311) likes to find friends for those nearby in NYS. We know Beth from one of the NY stamping events and she lives in your area. I'm guessing Gayla told her to reach out to you.

exactly.I hate for someone to miss out~ a friend could be right around the corner
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

When I recently moved here, I learned of a stamp club with over 60 member that met once a month. It is a "real" club with minutes, committees, officers etc. The play day was not well attended, so I decided to work on that committee and said I would teach a technique each month for the last part of the time. What fun. The more I teach, the more I learn. Everyone can tweak the style of their card and some take off an create such great cards that they bring to the next Play Day. It is the highlight of my month. We have from 10-15 that attend pretty regularly. Maybe you could start that way, if you have a rec. room or place you could use to gather. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes