Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me about your craft table and/or craft room

We finally closed on the house and will be moving in hopefully by the latest mid December. So here I am excited about having my own craft room. So what do you use a diy craft table or purchased craft table? What can you share with me about your craft room/area, what do you most like about it? What diy storage or purchased storage ideas can you share with me? Any other information would be great. Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I have a tour of mine here - I chose a REALLY inexpensive IKEA top and filing cabinets for the base. It's the bomb.

Understand Blue: The Great Studio Remodel Video Tour
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we bought our house, it had a island. We took that down to make the kitchen, dining room bigger. Took that downstairs to my crafting area. I sit on bar stools and up higher. Love it. I used to just use a banquet table in our other house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on your new place and space! My favorite craft table was a small rectangular glass topped table a friend was selling. It cleaned up so easily, could fit friends around when we were stamping together, and I even had a clip on light with a bendable neck that I could put underneath when I wanted the advantage of a light-box.

I'm in a new place now, and needed to sell it when I moved. I love my new space but I miss that table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm like Lydia- IKEA all the way, lol. I have an IKEA worktop on top of two ALEX drawer units for my main desk, then Two separate IKEA worktops, longer ones, on legs that I have plastic roller cart type units under. I just took the roller wheels off. Also an IKEA cube storage- forgotten the name, but they changed it anyway- and a smaller one with a desk attachment, but I think that was discontinued. Also have an IKEA computer desk too.
Pictures HERE, just scroll about half way down the page, past the 'making of' photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks will check it out! No Ikea here! So I may DIY with hollow out door.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I have a tour of mine here - I chose a REALLY inexpensive IKEA top and filing cabinets for the base. It's the bomb.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Yes in the past I have used a table like that. Great idea on using the island.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24-7stamperView Post
When we bought our house, it had a island. We took that down to make the kitchen, dining room bigger. Took that downstairs to my crafting area. I sit on bar stools and up higher. Love it. I used to just use a banquet table in our other house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you, I am very excited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Congrats on your new place and space! My favorite craft table was a small rectangular glass topped table a friend was selling. It cleaned up so easily, could fit friends around when we were stamping together, and I even had a clip on light with a bendable neck that I could put underneath when I wanted the advantage of a light-box.

I'm in a new place now, and needed to sell it when I moved. I love my new space but I miss that table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Could you tell me which table top you used. I don't see a link on your blog. Thank you

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

We don't have an Ikea here either so I made a 60 mile trip to Canada with two of my friends and was lucky enough to just stumble onto a large table top and smaller one to make an "L" shape........two bathroom cabinets that hold the 12X12 IRIS storage containers perfectly........they each have 6 adjustable shelves and hold tons of stuff.....another Ikea cabinet that sits between those two that isn't quite as deep but holds the plastic shoe boxes with dividers that hold my ribbons and also my boxes of envelopes and paper packs. I had a dresser that just happened to go with everything and my 120 inkpad storage unit sits on top of it. I also bought two floating shelves. I went there knowing what I needed but not what I was going to find and knowing the dimensions of my room (small) and having one friend to help me measure and one to write everything down we finished off my room except for a Best Craft Organizer I bought for my single stamps. I recently bought a smaller cube from them to sit on top of my original unit and got the 2 and 3 inch drawers to store my punches in. I guess my advice would be to figure out what your needs are and then keep an open mind when you go looking. Case in point........bathroom cabinets for craft storage.........worked out perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How exciting!! I just planned out my craft room in our new house a couple years ago. I scored a great big old oak teacher desk so that is my work space. It is 5 feet long and quite deep. I have a self healing mat left over from my quilting days, on the very front where I sit. I have lots of stuff on my desk with in reach and use the drawers for markers, tools etc.

I have a book case for stamps and a Sauder cabinet that holds cardstock, papers, ink and embellishments.

I have changed things around a little since first setting up, it took working in it to see what would be most convenient.

Have fun! Look around for pieces that aren't necessarily designed for one thing. Part of the fun of the hunt is repurposing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I have an old wood kitchen table that seats 6. Sometimes I don't think it is big enough! I work in an unfinished basement. I have these grand plans in my mind for when we finish our basement. But I have found out that a cement floor is a very good idea especially when my black ink pad fly's out of my hand and lands ink side down on the floor. I have two wonderful black ink spots on the cement floor.

First time That happened I freaked out, then thought it's cement why am I freaking out. Second time it happened I freaked again because the ink pad almost binged me in the face before it hit the floor, ink side down again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I use this workbench from Harbor Freight: Multipurpose Workbench with Light. I took off the lower shelf and the front support for it so that I could roll my paper filing cart(s) underneath. I haven't done anything to pretty it up, but I love that it's counter-height, has a light built in, three outlets on the left side, pegboard for tons of stuff, etc. Our dining table is also counter height, so I just use one of the stools from there when I don't want to stand. I do have a small desk to the right of the workbench where I sit to color or fussy-cut.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

My husband made we a wide and long counter top with a rounded end with three shelves; this tops sits of the white drawer units from Michaels (two units stacked on top of each) running the length of the counter and the counter is wide enough for drawer units on each side so the things I use a lot are on the side I work from and the other stuff is store on the other side. Then I have to muti-tiered spinners I keep off to one side to hold everything I need regularly. The counter is high but I like to stand to work. If I ever decide to sit, I can take out one set of drawers and slide a stool under the counter.

One end of the counter is flush with the wall and divides the room in half; so one side has my desk, bookcase etc and the other side of the room has my stamp cabinet and die cut station. Then I have wire shelving running along two walls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

When we first created a space of my own to do my creative stuff in my husband bought me a section of laminated countertop. I love it. He's a handy guy so he built the supports that hold it and the drawers that are underneath it. We discussed buying inexpensive kitchen cabinets but I decided I wanted him to build me custom storage. I have a pull-out tray that holds my big shot and the drawer underneath holds all my dies. On the opposite end I have a pull-out tray that holds both my trimmers- my tabletop one that SU no longer carries and my smaller trimmer. I love that I can just pull out the tray, cut and slide it back in. I like the counter because it is VERY sturdy and doesn't give at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I have 2 ikea table on legs push together to form a long table top across one side of the craft room. When I picked out my table top I went with white because I saw a pretty white craftroom on pintrest. BIG mistake. It is so ink stained with various other splatters lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using a drop-leaf (collapsible) round breakfast table. This is a piece of furniture we inherited when a relative moved to another state. It's a tall counter-high round table with 2 sides that fold down.

Why it works for me:
- I don't have a craft room. I craft in my bedroom, and I needed something that could both be large enough to craft on and small enough to fit a corner of the room. The collapsible sides are great, since I can extend them if I need a bigger surface.
- It's counter-height, so I can either craft while standing up or I can sit on one of the two chairs that came with the table. I like sitting down when I color, so this is a nice option.
- It was free. I don't mind investing in some great furniture, but only after being absolutely sure it will work for me. I've looked at some other crafting desks and even a crafting station since I got the round table, but nothing seemed worth spending extra on. And since I have a functioning free table, I'm free to wait for a sale or a newer model of the kind of table I want.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2016, 04:57 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a combination of work office (I work from home) and stamp room.

Work office area is from Pottery Barn and I don't recommend it. It's pretty but it doesn't wear well and drawers stick.

My stamping area is a laminated counter top I bought from a closing LSS but you can buy similar at Home Depot, etc. It sits on top of white cubes and legs that I attached.

The area surrounding my stamp table is what I call the "cockpit" as it wraps around on 2 sides. The cockpit is made of white cubes (Michaels).

The 2nd counter top sits on top of small shelving units from Michaels.

These pics are older - I've changed the room but it still the basic concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Please tell me about your craft table and/or craft room-dscn1387.jpg   Please tell me about your craft table and/or craft room-pb-stamp-room-furniture-028.jpg   Please tell me about your craft table and/or craft room-pb-stamp-room-furniture-039-2-.jpg   Please tell me about your craft table and/or craft room-pb-stamp-room-furniture-040-2-.jpg   Please tell me about your craft table and/or craft room-pb-stamp-room-furniture-043.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am lucky as I have a dedicated craft room in our basement, it is not the brightest but I love it! is it all pretty and white and completely organised ....no lol! I was offered a full range of dark brown industrial grade office furniture, not the prettiest things in the world but boy is it sturdy... sturdy but ugly as sin lol! so I brightened up some of the drawer fronts with DSP I was never going to use and its added a bit of charm. I try to pretty the rest of the room up by having my ribbon in glass cookie jars, as are my buttons etc to add a bit of colour.

It could/should be a lot more organised as I am blessed with so much storage, but I am desperately trying to spend more time crafting then organizing which had become a bit of an obsession.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I checked the Ikea site and can't find my table top there anymore. At least not the same finish, its very long and raw. Like pressed wood. It was cheaper than a finished table top. I have a square of thick acrylic on the middle of my desk where I work. My husband has the same table and its up against mine so we face each other, but we have large computer screens in the way.

table legs FINNVARD Trestle with shelf - white - IKEA

another leg like this in the middle toward one side because it is very long and helps with sagging. GERTON Leg, adjustable - IKEA

and a http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70301542/ with the table up against it. So 6 squares are hard to reach, but we put external hard drives on them and things we don't use often.

Last edited by BluDragon; 11-29-2016 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sditz1View Post
Could you tell me which table top you used. I don't see a link on your blog. Thank you

It was a Furuskog - white pine I think from Romania.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sditz1View Post

It's very similar to all of these - so inexpensive and super sturdy - you just need a base.

Table Tops - IKEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I love this Martha Stewart countertop height craft table. I'm always moving around when I'm crafting so this is great. When I just want to sit and do coloring I keep the Ikea bar chair nearby. The table is a little pricey but I'm so happy with it. the drawers are great too--really deep!

Martha Stewart Living� Craft Space Table - Craft Tables - Martha Stewart Living� Craft Furniture - Martha Stewart Living� | HomeDecorators.com

FRANKLIN Bar stool with backrest, foldable - 24 3/4 " - IKEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 04:12 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I recently cleaned up my stamp room and had 2 tables next to each other which made it super tight to move around so we took one out and got a finished piece of plywood that just lays on top of it. We had a foot cut off because it was a bit too long and now I have a shelve too! I did stain it and polyurethane it as well and looks great now! Very sturdy too! I teach classes so needed something bigger but you could also use a couple of filing cabinets as the "legs" and just have the wood cut at the store. Lowes and Home Depot both do that. It's easy to put up shelves too just pick up brackets and screws for the shelves. I feel so lucky to be able to have my stamp space. It's not beautiful but functional and mine! I do put displays up and decorate it to make it more "crafty looking"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

I highly recommend the Best Craft Organizer - Scrapbook Storage for Scrapbooking Paper Storage desk. I have two of the single stackables with a desktop and the amount of stuff at my fingertips is amazing. All Stampin' UP! markers, all SU stamp pads, embossing, and more fit in it. All neatly and organized. It is AMAZING
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Great folding table

I use a folding table that measure approximately 30"x72". The legs fold up and it folds in the middle but I leave it up all the time. I can fit 4 Iris chests on wheels on one side and one on either side of the generous seating space. It is VERY sturdy and does not wobble at all. I moved my crafting space from a spare room to the family room and when we have holiday dinners I can wheel the carts to another space, throw on a cloth and it becomes additional seating. The best part is the amount of work space I have, though no matter how much we have it always seems to shrink once all the tools and materials come out...yes?😬
Attached Thumbnails
Please tell me about your craft table and/or craft room-img_0497.jpg  

Last edited by smowteach; 11-30-2016 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 05:25 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by smowteachView Post
I use a folding table that measure approximately 30"x72". The legs fold up and it folds in the middle but I leave it up all the time. I can fit 4 Iris chests on wheels on one side and one on either side of the generous seating space. It is VERY sturdy and does not wobble at all. I moved my crafting space from a spare room to the family room and when we have holiday dinners I can wheel the carts to another space, throw on a cloth and it becomes additional seating. The best part is the amount of work space I have, though no matter how much we have it always seems to shrink once all the tools and materials come out...yes?😬
Sorry about the photo...it was right side up in my camera roll and I don't know how to fix it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an old teachers desk my husband refinished for me, & a long console table on one side when I sit down, to hold supplies. I keep my paper cutter on top of that. I have stuff stored here & there also, as I am crafting in my bedroom. No room dedicated just to crafting, YET! ;) I ENJOY seeing EVERYONE'S CRAFT ROOMS too, so THANK YOU LADIES for sharing! LOOOOOOOOVE Lydia's room with all the little drawers!!! Your room is GORGEOUS, LYDIA!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leona2025View Post
I have 2 ikea table on legs push together to form a long table top across one side of the craft room. When I picked out my table top I went with white because I saw a pretty white craftroom on pintrest. BIG mistake. It is so ink stained with various other splatters lol.
Ink and white table tops love each other. : ) So after I remvoed the first smudges from my Crate & Barrel white desk and Ikea white table, I had acrylic cut to fit - like some people do with glass.

For me the acrylic is not as cold as glass when my arm rests on it, or loud when a jar or glass is placed on top. Like with glass, felt circles or bumpons are placed between the top and the table/desk.

I can also slip reference sheets under the acrylic, though that's only at the far side of my desk or it would be distracting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I have an old teachers desk my husband refinished for me, & a long console table on one side when I sit down, to hold supplies. I keep my paper cutter on top of that. I have stuff stored here & there also, as I am crafting in my bedroom. No room dedicated just to crafting, YET! ;) I ENJOY seeing EVERYONE'S CRAFT ROOMS too, so THANK YOU LADIES for sharing! LOOOOOOOOVE Lydia's room with all the little drawers!!! Your room is GORGEOUS, LYDIA!!! ;)

Thank you! It makes me happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two folding tables available from Costco or Amazon. I have no access to Ikea and shipping from most places is prohibitive. The six foot table got too small so I just got a 4' that can be adjusted counter or standing height. My storage is mostly Iris 12x12 drawer units or bookshelves. It is simple but it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same trestles to hold up my table as in comment #20. I have a glass tabletop also from IKEA. I store a ton of stuff on the trestles, a 14x14" storage cube will fit in there. I even use the small area between the stable part of the trestle and the adjustable portion sneaking my paper trimmer in there! Whatever you get, you will be most efficient with all of your most used supplies close by so take that into consideration. You want enough space to work but also have access to what you need. I have a little hub all around me with everything I use regularly accessible by turning my office chair or about 1-2 steps away. There's my main table but I also am pretty much surrounded by shelving units except for space enough to walk in of course! Hope you find something you love! When I move to the basement when we finally renovate it, I will have a the same table top but will probably add some of the recommended IKEA drawer units underneath or more storage cubes from Michaels which now sit between my trestles. The table is deep enough (and my legs short enough) to accommodate both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Updated Craft Room Storage Tour 2016

I'm under WanderingDreamer555 on YouTube if you want to check out my craft room tour from last week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

We just made a craft room last year for me. It's the smallest room in our house and it's just perfect. I bought nothing new for the room except a comfortable office chair at my husband's insistence and I love it. My mom was giving up her home and I inherited her huge hutch that we painted white and holds so much behind doors, in drawers and on the shelves. Had an old laminated computer desk which also got a coat of white paint and I love the fact that I can store my paper cutter on that little keyboard shelf. I also have a bureau that holds a lot of supplies but my favorite is my closet. It's contains all sorts of shelving and racks for storage. I can usually find 95% of what I am looking for in seconds. The other 5% is usually rarely used stuff that I know I have but can't remember where. My favorite is that office chair... I can roll it around and reach most of what I need. Love, love, love my room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I have a tour of my room as well. My entire room is diy, we even made my shelves.

Paper, Scissors, Sew!: Papertrey Ink Stamp A Faire 2013!

We purchased the white cabinets off the floor at Hone Depot as well as the countertop, the counter top had a small ding in it so we got a great deal.

My center table was a yard sale find. That had stool with it. I use 2 of the stools at my counter and two under the table that holds my printers grey with wood stamps in it.

Last edited by ashjoy; 11-30-2016 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Quote:

Lydia, thanks for linking to your video. You have a great craft studio!

What do you store in the card catalogue drawers? Love the way you refinished it. I'm a retired librarian and would love to get hold of one - for sentiment, if nothing else.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have two levels. Desk level and counter level (for cutting and big shot). It works very well for me. My back used to give me fits when I had to bend over to do the cutting, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for sharing this

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaretteView Post
I highly recommend the Best Craft Organizer - Scrapbook Storage for Scrapbooking Paper Storage desk. I have two of the single stackables with a desktop and the amount of stuff at my fingertips is amazing. All Stampin' UP! markers, all SU stamp pads, embossing, and more fit in it. All neatly and organized. It is AMAZING
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

thank you for sharing! love your crafting space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashjoyView Post
I have a tour of my room as well. My entire room is diy, we even made my shelves.

Paper, Scissors, Sew!: Papertrey Ink Stamp A Faire 2013!

We purchased the white cabinets off the floor at Hone Depot as well as the countertop, the counter top had a small ding in it so we got a great deal.

My center table was a yard sale find. That had stool with it. I use 2 of the stools at my counter and two under the table that holds my printers grey with wood stamps in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

That is what I am aiming for a seat level desk and stand level desk. My room is small but I will make it work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skm330mksView Post
I have two levels. Desk level and counter level (for cutting and big shot). It works very well for me. My back used to give me fits when I had to bend over to do the cutting, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes