Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost my inspiration until I decided to purge

I've been stamping since about 2000. In the beginning, I was buying based on general theme because I wanted to customize my cards to the recipient's interests. I also didn't know my own style yet, and the woman who introduced me to card making was big into the country & vintage looks, so I followed suit with my purchases.

Even after I had developed my own style, I was buying lots of SU products for a while just because I needed to make the minimums. I ended up with a lot that I don't really love, and totally burnt myself out on SU entirely. At this point, I see the new catalogs and don't want anything. My demo has probably wondered what happened to me.

Fast forward 16 years later. I have too much. I hadn't made cards since last year's Christmas Cards, and my space is not someplace I wanted to work. I always thought I was buying my stamps and supplies "for good", in case I found the perfect person for that image or style.

A switch inside me flipped, and I decided to clear out the stamps that aren't my style and supplies I'm not really using. I did one major purge, sold many of them, and today I just did a second major purge. I no longer feel the need to hang onto everything and anything. I only want my supplies to fit my style.

It's liberating. My space is looking much better, and I feel like I can create again. I still need to photograph and list the latest purge, but I'm well on my way to getting all of the unwanted items out of my house and my life.

I don't think it's possible to be a minimalist card maker, but I can certainly achieve a much more carefully edited collection of supplies.

My Pinterest Boards

Last edited by Oddesigns; 12-03-2016 at 10:14 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is something liberating about style, purging and getting your mojo back. I, too, am continuing to remove stuff to get back to basic me supplies. Alcohol inks, no, unless I need you for my Copic markers. Cutesy stamps, no, unless you are what I think of as classic. In fact, if you aren't a classic, simple or very eclectic stamp, please hitchhike out of my craft room.

Hope you are successful in finding new homes for your stuff. I'm putting together a donation box and hope to get it out in the mail next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I totally and completely agree that "sometimes more is just more" (direct quote from the movie Sabrina). I'm constantly editing my collection(s) and sending things out into the flow. It IS very liberating and mojo-boosting! Kudos to you!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 12-03-2016 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

After reading the initial post, I starting going thru my dies and embossing folders that are no longer my style. I also pulled a bunch of stamps that I no longer want. Many of these things have never been used, but it is just bogging me down. I have purged a lot this year, but I have more that I just need to let go!
These posts just keep me inspired to "edit" my collection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
After reading the initial post, I starting going thru my dies and embossing folders that are no longer my style. I also pulled a bunch of stamps that I no longer want. Many of these things have never been used, but it is just bogging me down. I have purged a lot this year, but I have more that I just need to let go!
These posts just keep me inspired to "edit" my collection!
Happy to be an inspiration.

I hear you on the "many of these things have never been used". Some of what I purged were my earliest workhorse sets, but many had never been used at all. I kept anything unused that sparked a desire to create when I looked at it. But if I looked at something and didn't immediately want to sit down and make something, it went.

Once I'm done with selling the purge, I may sit down with the unused sets I have left and start creating. Just take one set a week and see what I can do with it. I think I have my 2017 goal.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:13 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Sue, I think you've spoken for all of us here. When we first start, we want everything. Feel we need to have everything to be able to create. But I do think, it's almost a necessary part of the process of growing into your hobby. We have to try things out, to find out if it's something we love, or just a passing fancy. And I think it may well be harder for crafters starting out now, as so many craft/stamping stores have closed, there are fewer places to go to actually see, and maybe try out, a product in the flesh. Of course, the downside to internet shopping means it's even easier to buy everything your fancy takes!
It does take a good purge occasionally, to let go of that we no longer feel the same about. Me, I think I cornered the world market in Decoupage sheets and mulberry paper! Don't ask when I last used either, I couldn't tell you. I have now sent all my decoupage sheets to two separate ladies who enjoy decoupage, and one uses her cards to fund raise. So, I'd rather now see them go to a good home, than sit on my shelves gathering dust.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:21 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Love this thread! Have been packing up boxes to deliver to the Goodwill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Sue, I think you've spoken for all of us here. When we first start, we want everything. Feel we need to have everything to be able to create. But I do think, it's almost a necessary part of the process of growing into your hobby. We have to try things out, to find out if it's something we love, or just a passing fancy. And I think it may well be harder for crafters starting out now, as so many craft/stamping stores have closed, there are fewer places to go to actually see, and maybe try out, a product in the flesh. Of course, the downside to internet shopping means it's even easier to buy everything your fancy takes!
It does take a good purge occasionally, to let go of that we no longer feel the same about. Me, I think I cornered the world market in Decoupage sheets and mulberry paper! Don't ask when I last used either, I couldn't tell you. I have now sent all my decoupage sheets to two separate ladies who enjoy decoupage, and one uses her cards to fund raise. So, I'd rather now see them go to a good home, than sit on my shelves gathering dust.
I was very very very good at buying every stamp set possible (most at cheap prices when demos were purging and doing garage sales). I'm now looking through my sets and some at really not my style/don't think I'll use/did I ever use???, etc. etc.

Packing them up and off to Goodwill they go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I see some purging in my near future. Ya'll are right, letting someone else enjoy the supplies I don't ever use instead of letting them become dust collectors is a much better idea.

I was a much happier stamper in the beginning when I had a limited number of stamps and supplies. Then I discovered the online stamping world and I began buying, buying, buying. Along with discovering all the great stamp companies out there I also learned there was a "right and wrong" way to do things. I began following the trends and making cards the "right" way. Gee what a shocker, I eventually lost my mojo.

A couple of years ago I realized that I don't enjoy the card making process, I'm a mixed media gal, which was what I had been dabbling in before the internet told me I was supposed to be making cards. I began art journaling and suddenly I wanted to go into my room again to stamp and create.

Then I met some ladies from my church and began getting together with them to Bible journal. While I have enjoyed getting together with and meeting new people this past year I've come to the realization that I immensely dislike working on the super thin paper in my bible. Even more frustrating though was the realization that I let myself get influenced by others and side tracked from doing what I enjoy, yet again. Nothing wrong with trying something new but there is a huge difference in trying and thinking you have to "only do" something. It is easy to get swayed but I'm trying to be more honest with myself and have realized that it's okay to....

Give yourself permission to be you and do what you love.

If I/you get sidetracked admit it, forgive yourself, regroup and then get back to who you are and start having fun with your art again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Many times less is more! For years I had only minimal Christmas stamps/sets. I loved keeping it simple! While I didn't do this with other stamps for some reason I did for Christmas.

Two years SU had so many in the occasions catty I loved I bought almost all of them!
It kind of ruined the fun I had with the simplicity of it all.

This year I went back to a design I wanted to do for a long time with a stamp from a SAB set that's VERY old-Gently Falling. Ahhhh simplicity again!

I'll continue to use those sets I bought but really plan on staying away from buying any new Christmas sets and enjoying what I have!

Congrats on finding what you love in stamping and STAMP on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post

Give yourself permission to be you and do what you love.
This quote applies to more than just stamping.

But it's so true. I'm a CAS girl at heart. I like a lot of white space and a single focal point on my cards. In the beginning, I tried to make cards with many layers and some dsp, and I also tried to cover the white space with a background stamp or with a stipple brush. I wasn't satisfied with my cards because they were too "busy". I've seen other people's cards with these details, and they are beautiful, but mine never looked right to me. Once I realized I could leave the white space unmolested and keep my designs simple, I started to love my cards.

I was also happy to find stamp manufactures making the types of images I love: quirky, clean and fun. It also turns out that I love to color, so many of my solid images had to go.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
This year I went back to a design I wanted to do for a long time with a stamp from a SAB set that's VERY old-Gently Falling. Ahhhh simplicity again!
My Christmas cards this year are using an old set of penguins from Impression Obsession that I love but couldn't get to stamp cleanly. My new MISTI is allowing me to finally make something with these stamps. I'm really excited to finally get to use these stamps.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a CAS card maker, too. I tried the vintage and lots of layers and stuff - just really wasn't me. I have lots of stamps that I like, but realistically, I don't know who I would send such a card to. Some of the stamps are too busy or too detail for my CAS style. Initially, there were lots of SU stamps I liked in the holiday mini, but after having a heart to heart talk with myself I realized they would not be used - just collected! My demo probably wonders what happened to me. There maybe something in the new occasions mini in January, but it's okay if I don't buy anything as I still have more than enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So inspiring - thank you, Oddesigns for kicking it off.

And when we keep buying, and keep having too much, when do we stretch what we have in order to stretch our own creativity?

I transcribed this word for word from an interview with Laura Bassen (Doublestick Heaven), because it hit me hard. She has to keep using new stamps because it's her job. But most of us don't.

"When I wasn't doing this for a job, I only had a small amount of stuff, since I was very frugal, and only bought what I absolutely loved. And when I had that, I'd push the creativity level with each product - not just two times, not just three, and would find - oh my gosh - you could really push the envelope when you stay at a product. I knew if I pushed, something amazing could come out, but I don't have the time to push to do a second and a third and a fourth project with one product. And I know it deserves that."
(From a live interview on onlinecardclasses.com)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Such great comments throughout this thread! Aside from the issue of too much stuff, I want to echo the others who've mentioned being influenced - or even pressured - to do something that is not true to their creative self. One of my dear friends is the one who created the monster that is me, card-making-wise, and she used to come up with awesome ideas for cards and execute them brilliantly. For the past couple of years nearly every card she's made is a CASE of one that she saw on a blog or Pinterest, often with the exact same products as the original. While they're still beautiful, they don't look like "her". I really miss the old cardmaker and have tried to encourage her to trust herself again.

She's also been a good lesson for me. I try to let the things I'm using dictate the design, rather than the other way around, and generally only CASE if I'm doing the Featured Stamper challenge or if something really, really catches my eye and I can't not make it!

Don't get me wrong - CASEing definitely has its place, especially when we're experimenting and finding our own creative voice - but we shouldn't let the other voices drown out our own...

Beth - thank you for that quote - it resonates with me, as well. Ditto Sue's idea to work with a set a week to see how many things can be done with it. This coming year my goal is to MAKE time for creativity to happen, as this past year I had a hard time finding any...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you in it's easy to be convinced to buy a lot of stuff that you don't really love or need. In the last 6 months I've had to move all my craft stuff from where it was stored in my house to either a spare bedroom or my basement. I also purged a lot to a friend's niece. With all that moving I have no idea what or where any of each item is.The strangest part is I'm not heart broken or even more motivated to create.
This weekend I will be given my friend's niece more stuff. I think it will be easier to part with more than the other 2 times. I've been stamping since 2004. It doesn't seem that long. I have a friend who's been Scrapbooking that long too. She also would like to purge all her stuff. She never thought she would feel like that. Her children are all adults like mine are. Maybe that's part of it.
Part of me will miss the "creativity" that was expressed through stamping and making cards and other projects. I think it's time to explore other things to express my artistic side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too, think it's time to purge my large stash. I got into stamping to make holiday cards. I was invited to an SU! hostess "party" back in 2001 and holiday cards were the theme. Frosty was the first set I purchased. My draw is and has always been holiday themed cards. I've tried to branch out into birthday too, but just didn't get there. About a year after I attended my first SU! "party", I saw a woman carrying a SU! bag and I chased her down on the train platform! I participated in her monthly S10 club for a few years and then she went through a major life change, stopped her S10 club and moved away from the area. Around that same time I stopped working full time out of the home and stamping dollars became less and less. I've been a SAHM for the past five years and I've always looked forward to creating for the holidays, but in the past 2-3 years I've not been inspired to create much. I miss the monthly camaraderie with the S10 club and sometimes I look at my stash and I just don't feel the mojo. Not to mention that SU!'s catty's have not been very inspiring to me either.

Perhaps I too need to just purge what no longer inspires me, sell off what I can and start fresh. Thanks for posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Glad what I said resonated with everyone, you are right Oddesigns it is true of life in general. I have decided to put a new blank art journal on my Christmas wish list for bible journaling. This way I can continue to get together with my friends on a regular basis but I'll be doing my art my way.

I'm hearing a chant in my head now.... purge - purge - purge!

We talk all the time about what to do with crafting supplies you no longer want but have you actually donated to schools or seniors' centers? Do they really want hand me downs? While it sounds like a nice thing to do, just wondering if they will be more put off than grateful for "unwanted leftovers".

Last edited by stampin stacy; 12-05-2016 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy, my experience with donations - the local elementary school hemmed and hawed around and said they would talk to the other art teachers and call me back - no one called. I even told her that I had made sure all the items were elementary age appropriate. I had DSP, stamps, ink pads, ribbon and other embellishments. I even stated the teachers could have it for their own use. So it was donated to Goodwill. A year ago I asked the church about using it for children's programs - nada.
I called the 2 local assisted living/senior centers here in town - no one called back to confirm that I could drop it off to them.
The real kicker that I got was when I asked my church if they could use 3 new or like new Bibles and asked if there was anyone taking donations. They asked what version they were! Because they were not the latest and most current version on the market - they declined! I was shocked! I still have these Bibles as I know someone could use them and I have the same versions that I still use. Having some serious thoughts about my church.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A local senior center with a large carts and crafts department loves paper, stamps, and other paper crafting supplies in new or excellent, clean condition.

OTOH, when I tried to donate quality arts supplies (not stamping) to local schools, including unused paints, brushes and paper, no one wanted them, or maybe the message wasn't passed along to art teachers.

To be fair, getting dribs and drabs of supplies may not work well in some settings, plus if they had a history of people bringing messy or mostly used up supplies, the organization may have learned it's not worth the time and they may not have the people to weed through it.

We donate a lot to a thrift shop that gives proceeds to animal rescue/medical organizations, and some people toss anything in their bags and boxes. So when giving them small items or supplies, I sort them into baggies, for example each ink rubber banded and all inks in one baggie, Post-It pads in another, etc. They appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The main reason I started stamping was because my cousin showed me a couple of beautiful holidays cards she made with her friends. I knew nothing about stamping, but I did "shop" at Goodwill which mainly got me out of the house when I retired. Anyway, I noticed in their craft section there were rubber stamps in a bin. I looked through them and bought a couple. Next time I went, I found a couple of used ink pads. Then some pads of pretty paper, then another time, some glitter glue. By this time I was googling rubber stamping and finding you tube tutorials.

Long story, lots more to tell you, but the jist is that I would never have started this hobby if not for people purging and donating. Even today, 4 years later, I still hunt for things I like. Honestly, it's made my retirement even more adventurous. Plus it's kept me busy and I never care anymore that DH sits on the couch for hours watching mindless things on TV. Heck, I don't even care when it's football season!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that the welcome that purged supplies receive varies widely. When I did my major purge to move across the country two years ago I had A TON of stuff in my yard sale. One of the "shoppers" was a school librarian and she was gathering supplies to put in the school's resource center. I told her to come back the afternoon of the last day of the sale and she could take whatever was left that she wanted. She came back and took ALL of it and was beyond ecstatic! She kept saying how excited the teachers would be to have so many things to use that they hadn't had to pay for out-of-pocket. Now almost all of my purges go to a daughter who's caught the bug...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

WOW! Who knew we were so much alike! I got rid of a lot of old stamps about 5 years ago and I've never regretted it.

I took a few years off because it wasn't "fun" anymore. Now I am doing a lot of card challenges on blogs so that has been interested again and its fun!!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2016, 05:21 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a firm believer in purging. It's liberating and forces me to find creative uses for what I have. I love shopping my room and experimenting with new ways to use a product. For years I was a collector and full set hoarder and purging released me from that world. Oh, I still have a lot, but what I have I use and letting go of the guilt of having too much freed my creative spirit.

I donate my castoffs to a low income school, give it away to friends, and once in awhile I have a craft sale. I love seeing things leave my house and go to new home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently started to purge and it's an incredible feeling - like my creativity energy is starting to come back. I was started to feeling like my craft room was smothering me instead of feeling like a little piece of heaven of earth to be in. I donated hundreds of items to a local hospital - to the psych unit - for their art therapy classes that they use as part of their healing process for patients. They were overwhelmed with gratitude. They previously had the most basic supplies to use, and were just delighted to be able to expand the art selections patients could choose from to grow their creativity. One of my best friends also teaches at a school for autistic kids. I donate as often I can to her school - they use art therapy as part of their program. They have limited supplies and welcome everything I offer for the kids. And it's so rewarding, some of the kids will make me cards as a thank you. I love knowing what I'm giving away is making others happy. These are just ideas of places you could donate to in your area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I envy all of you who have been able tp purge. I love my stuff even if there is too much of it. I am a designer at heart and while so many are only creating with their new stuff. i find conbining my first buys with midway and new stuff fulfilling. Yes, I too have some stamps thst have never been used. But I know a day will come that they will be just right. My problem is not the stuff, just too small a space to store it. I do give away extras and I am getting better at throwing away scraps and small bits. I often do what I call a counter design by picking up leftovers paper, die cuts, stamped sentiments, bling and instead of putting it away, I create a card or two. Since I donate over 90%of my stuff, I need not worry about color, themes, or sentiment--it will fit someone. I also am finding so much repeat out there and buying less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I agree. We've moved a few times in the past few years and it always reminds me how easy it is to collect and destashing regularly is important. It feels even better when someone else will give my old supplies a new life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 02:24 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine and I took over the card ministry at our church last year. We send out birthday cards to everyone and we create other cards that we can send and have filled a box with cards for others to send. It has been great because she and I have been destaching. Things are getting cleared out and it brings a smile to someone else's face when they get a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

It gives me negative shivers to even think of purging my paper crafting inventory of supplies and equipment!! I am ever so pleased when I can incorporate an embellishment I've had for several years, or use a decorative scissor that has been patiently waiting for just the right project. I purchased a great deal of products and tools while I was employed, knowing that retirement would be a more frugal life chapter. Still, I do manage to add to my inventory of stamps, papers and dies. I love finding ways to combine what's on hand with what I've just purchased! NOTHING NEEDS TO BE PURGED!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also in the "don't want to purge" club. I do understand that I'll eventually run out of space and it will be a must-do. But until then, I am just focusing on using up all those supplies. So, I'm managing my stash by not bringing in much (if anything) new and making good and creative use of what I already own. I've put myself on a spending freeze and it's going swimmingly well.

I actually love my stash and discovering things I bought and forgot about, or techniques I tried once and want to try again. I'm sure I could make just as many things with a stash a fraction of the size, but I'm going to keep things as they are for as long as they continue to inspire and challenge me.

I also made a change in how I look at cards and inspiration. When I see a "wow" card or project that I absolutely love, I give myself a little time to analyze what exactly I love about it. Sometimes it's a color scheme, other times a layout or an image/sentiment pairing. It's very rare that what I love is the actual stamp/die/supply. But when it is, I put it on my wish list and move on to the next card. Then, when I'm doing my crafty shopping some months later, I have a list of supplies I really love - instead of just whatever was recently released.

I no longer try for "limited time" exclusives or shop bargains/deals unless. If things are on sale when I'm shopping, great. If not, I just pay the full price and feel it's well-invested.

The only thing I really, truly, need is time. I'm short on crafty time. I'd give up half my stash for a few extra hours of crafting per day in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

For those who can't imagine parting with anything: it took me a long time to get to this point.

I was raised by a hoarder, and would be well down that path if not for my husband. But I still have the tendency to hang onto things "just in case". I have all of the standard rationalizations: I might need that some day, It's still perfectly good, I paid good money for that.

This is especially applicable to my cardmaking supplies. It took me a long time before I could recycle even the little paper scraps. When I had a shoebox full of them, I finally acknowledged that I probably would never use most of them. I now keep the biggest of the scraps, but even those are getting no use and are taking up more and more space.

This year everything changed. My house is full. Cleaning is a huge task. Just keeping surfaces clear is a huge task. Finding certain things when I need them can be impossible. Not so much in the craft room, because I'm careful to keep everything cataloged and organized. But even then, my supplies outgrew my space, and working in there had become frustrating.

I started with my closet. I ruthlessly purged and limited my color palette (no more black!). My costume jewelry was next. Then, onto the extra stuff in the kitchen, the spare sheets and down comforter we no longer use, my collection of holiday hand towels, etc.

Finally, I tackled the craft room. My books are in there, and they were easy to purge thanks to my new kindle. I thought long and hard about my craft supplies, and finally realized much of my stash isn't really my style. I did one big purge. Then, a few weeks later, another. Once I started freeing up space, I could feel the weight lifted and the inspiration returning. It's the same everywhere else in the house I already did. Getting dressed for work is easier now that my options are fewer, and entirely my favorite colors and items. Cleaning certain rooms is no longer a huge undertaking, because the clutter is gone.

So, if you're not there yet, it's ok. Some people love clutter. Some don't. Some, like me, don't like it but have a bad habit of creating it. I hope I'm finally breaking myself of it. When I finished purging my closet, I found that I no longer had any interest in going clothing shopping "just because". If I need to replace something, or find a hole in my options, I shop with intention. I spend less, but enjoy my purchases more. I'm not there with the stamps yet, because I'm still bringing in new sets. The difference now is that I know my style, and stick to it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of companies putting out great sets, so the temptation is still too high.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sue, I could have written your post #31. That is me and my story - every word of it!
I sometimes feel like I am in that world all alone - glad to know I have company!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I did a mini purge this summer. Mostly this was just stamp purchases that were a mistake mostly due to the poor quality of the stamps, or something I bought only because it was on sale, but I did add several other things in there too.

It helped me #1)the liberating feeling and #2) I went through everything and found lots of things I forgot I had!

Thanks for starting this thread. It is fun to read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

To those who don't feel the need to purge: as with every single other aspect of this papercrafting adventure, there are a bizillion and six ways to approach it, carry on with it, be comfortable with it, etc.

If you are USING the things that you hang onto and/or if you LOVE them, then you're perfectly right in keeping them (notice the and/or - it doesn't necessarily have to be both...)

My purges were things that I KNEW I wouldn't miss. How many "thank you" stamps do I really need? I kept my favorites - different sizes/styles/fonts - and let the rest go. Ditto on the "thinking of you", "Merry Christmas", etc.

How many butterflies/hearts/snowflakes will I really use? Again - there were some that I had NEVER liked (they came in a set with other things), so those got relocated. For instance, I only really like two of the snowflakes in the "Snow Flurries" set, so I kept those and sent the others to my daughter. Kind of followed suit with everything in my collection, stamp-wise. Kept the ones I loved and/or would use, sent the others out into the flow...

Embellishments I tend to keep longer (can you say "eyelets"?), but I still share the overabundance if/when I can. Stickers are long gone - I felt like a grade-schooler every time I used them. Flowers and I could never get along, so they got shifted out, as well...

I guess what I'm saying is: There is no right way or wrong way to do this. We all have our comfort levels and our reasons for doing what we do. The turning point for me was a post by one of my favorite online people where she stated "you're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you". That made me re-examine EVERYTHING in my whole house! I'll never be a minimalist, but I'm sure closer to that end of the spectrum now than I ever was...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

I know this thread has moved on but I wanted to say a quick thank you to the responses about donations to various groups. Your answers were what I expected them to be. I'm not deterred, just realizing that a little pre-donation research may be needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

I agree with all of you. I used to get excited when my box of goodies came from Stampin Up. I couldn't wait to open it and start crafting.

Now, I open the box, look in it and it just sits in my crafting room--no crafting. It seems I like to collect card making stuff. I don't use it. I even try to do everything else I can do in order not to have to go into that room.

Anyone else like this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Girls, I don't peek in here much any more. I have gone on to different exciting things in my life right now. A girlfriend asked me to peek at a thread to give her advice. I decided to peek at the boards and see how my girls were doing that included is all of you- Shaz, Stacy & Sue. ! I think of you three often.

This thread really resonated with me. I have done the BIG purge. I am doing another tweak purge right now because my DH & I are going to pack up and move to the Pacific Northwest soon. Plus, I have some emotional things in my room I really need to get rid of.

When I first started stamping I bought all over the place too. Made so many stupid mistakes. I don't beat myself up over it any more. It was a dark time in my life back then. We all go through it and do things like that. Plus, when your learning you have to make mistakes. That is how you learn.

Like Stacy I was much happier with less stamps and less supplies. Now, I only keep stamps I love. I can't create something unless I am inspired. If I don't like what I am using it is going to turn out to be a disaster and I am not proud of my work.

I got caught up in the online world of stamping the "right way". It is not the right way if it is not your way. Stamping guru could do everything her way and you feel like your not doing it right. Stop doing it and then two years later stamping guru is now doing it your way. Moral of the story. I don't follow technique trends. Trust yourself and your style.

I still follow fun trends like pineapples, lol. I don't buy every pineapple I see. I might paint a pineapple and turn it into a sticker. That way I can try trend without wasting a lot of money. I make it my way and my style.

Purging I just throw it in a bag and donate it to my favorite charity. I don't worry about it. Don't care. It brought me happiness at one time but doesn't bring me happiness now. I give it away for somebody else to find happiness.

I don't like stamping as a focal point. I like it as an accent. I found I really hate mixed media art journaling. Oh, it is just ugh messy. I like my style of art journaling. I am doing a lot of written journals now. My magazines, stickers & washi are what I live for.

I hope that helps somebody. I know how hard purging is. I hope all my girls here are ok. I think of you all often. Even, if I didn't mention you. I took a hiatus from the board because there was some stamping politics I was getting dragged into. That is not healthy for me. I was having trouble dealing with some blows in my life and going through mourning at the same time. I took some me time to get back into my written journaling, read a lot of good books & cuddle with my furbabies. To be healthy again. Love you all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi DeeAnn lovely to see you, and lovely to know you think of me. Short version- the bowel cancer was removed, turned into mega major surgery involving half my tailbone, but I'm well on the road to recovery from that. Downside is the road to recovery just hit a speed bump- last scan showed a spot on one lung. We don't know what it is, and won't till they remove it, but it's very small, so although it involves removing a wedge of lung, not as bad as it could have been.
I agree we all make a lot of mistakes buying stuff at first- I'm looking at you, Staz-on Opaque pads/peel offs/decoupage sheets!- but finally accepting that I'm not going to use something, and that no matter how long I keep it, I will never get either to start using it again, or get the money back I spent, I let it go to someone who will use it.
Nowadays I have a much better idea of what I like and will use, so gradually we get past the mistakes, I think. We also get smarter about believing everything a manufacturer says about their product- that'll be you again, Staz-on Opaques!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 05:19 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

DeeAnn - HELLO!!! I'm sorry to hear that you've had some struggles, but also glad to hear that you're doing better. Life - it's just so...life-y, ya know? I hear you on all counts - the buying anything/everything that catches our eye in the beginning, learning and growing and trusting, purging and rearranging and all the rest of it! What part of the Pacific northwest are you headed to? I have a lot of family in the Portland, Oregon area... Good luck with the move!

Shaz - sorry to hear about the latest glitch... Hopefully it will be nothing of concern. Love and light to you, my friend!

Things are getting calmer in the Sue-niverse. DH has a new job that will NOT be temporary (first time since our cross-country move two years ago) and my kids have settled in to their lives a bit better (they're all grown up, but two of them have really had struggles), so I'm ever hopeful that my studio and I will be on more than a passing glance-type relationship now...

It's interesting to note that my style and tastes have morphed over the years and I'm purging a lot of things that no longer fit the "old me", but I've done a lot of acquiring this past year of things that make the "new me" happy.

Kathygrace - your post pretty much sums up how I've felt for at least the past year. I've been gathering and collecting and purging and arranging and indexing, but haven't done a lot of actual USING. Sometimes the cycle goes like that. Unless/until you decide that you're done with this hobby/craft/art form there's no reason to do guilt about it, in my opinion (she says, although she still suffers from the malady on occasion). If Stampin'Up! stuff no longer excites you, maybe you need to broaden your view...? I know that was true for me. I still love many of my SU! things, but most of them are old. The new direction they've taken doesn't suit me at all...

To everyone else - sorry I keep chiming in and being so wordy! It's just that someone else will post something that makes me think of something else to say, and so I do...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Shaz- Big but gentle hugs. I am glad they got the cancer from your bowels. I was really worried about you. It is horrible to lose half your tailbone. I hope nothing is wrong with your lungs and it is benign. I am always here for you.

Sue- Congrats to your DH. I hope his new job is everything he has wanted and gives him a lot of enjoyment. I am moving near the Canadian border. No, it is not because of the election, lol. DH & I always wanted to live up there. We are narrowing down the finalist towns right now.

I am buying a lot of new things too that are me. I know a lot of people wish they could buy new things but keep looking at their outdated things that no longer inspire them and think I can't buy anything because I need to use this stuff. I refuse to do that. I don't want to limit myself & how I learn. I spent over $20 tonight just on new stickers and magazines. I went to Michael's tonight. That is a trip for me now. I walked out empty handed. Nothing in the store inspired me. I actually had things in my cart & I was like "Do I really want this or am I trying to justify that DH & I drove way out of our way for this?" I am really glad I put it back because then I went to a couple of different stores and was able to use my Michael's budget for things I really loved like flamingo house shoes.

I will peek in occasionally. I do miss all of you. I don't have much to contribute any more. I don't want to help with die cutting advice because it is not healthy for me and I actually have to do a lot of tech work for that help and not get to create. I really love to die cut. I use stamping in my journals now or make stickers from my stamps and die cuts. I still really love looking at all the beautiful creations all of you girls create. I always said the stampers are the art quilters of the paper crafting world.

Reply With Quote Likes