Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New crafting space needs help!

Hi all! Here's my long story:
I have always been an avid crafter and got into stamping years ago. I've always been lucky enough to have my own space, even after getting married. When our first came along, my craft space got converted to a nursery but we had a mostly finished basement, so I moved down there. Three years ago I had the opportunity to buy a coffee shop, so I did and I've been doing that full time ever since. We moved two years ago, but I never set my craft room again because the coffee shop had taken over my life and I had no time for ANYTHING else. Fast forward to now - I've just had to close the shop and I'm home again with my DD, and looking for work. I want to set up my space again but the only space I can use is a dark corner in our unfinished basement. I'm spoiled, and am not excited about sharing my space with spiders. I'm trying to get excited about being able to stamp again, but I need inspiration to help me with my dark unfinished spider-infested space... any pics or suggestions on how to make it homey on a ZERO budget would be awesome. I can't afford anything right now, so ixnay on the 'put up some drywall' ideas, etc...
everyone here is always so helpful, I know you guys will have some awesome ideas!
Thanks in advance!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

First - have you seriously seriously looked in every corner of the rest of the house. I am sure you have a corner / closet etc that could be converted. It seems you don't want to be in the basement whether it's large there. I know I would rather have a small space upstairs rather than a large space in the dark cold space. Does the basement even have enough lighting ??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 05:08 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Two words: lighting, paint, Ikea. Okay, three.

If you were my client, really had to be there and had a bit of a budget, I'd suggest you first remove everything so it doesn't resemble a storage unit, and then install lighting - LOTS of lighting, recessed if possible, but at least lamps for ambient and task lighting. Whatever lighting you think you need? Double it. No dark corners. It doesn't have to be expensive; if you're near one of the BC Ikeas, they have lots of choices.

After lighting,* paint it a color you adore, not too light or white, which can look washed out or dingy in a basement. Put art, bulletin boards or similar on the walls. The art can be posters or kid art. Ikea carries art with crisp white frames.

Then furniture. Given it's a basement, I'd suggest white, painted if new stuff isn't in the budget. But my two crafting tables cost $19.00 each (Ikea!), though I already had them. They have large table tops and legs, very inexpensive.

The spiders won't want to be there with the lighting and new paint. Perhaps try non-toxic solutions if they seek asylum in your space. The occasional "Charlottes" we find are put outside; they do good.

Sorry this is so long. I did color/finishes consulting for homes/businesses/others, still do just a bit. Wish I could drop by and lend a hand.

* The amount of light and quality of light changes color hugely, so you want to get your lighting set before choosing a paint color.

Last edited by bjeans; 11-23-2016 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 05:14 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I'm so sorry - I missed your budget constraints. If you can swing paint and really inexpensive lighting, they can transform a space. If not, which makes sense, I'd look hard at one corner or wall upstairs for a table, pare down to the essentials that you love and organize like crazy into plastic bins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adalia DisaView Post
Hi all! Here's my long story:
I have always been an avid crafter and got into stamping years ago. I've always been lucky enough to have my own space, even after getting married. When our first came along, my craft space got converted to a nursery but we had a mostly finished basement, so I moved down there. Three years ago I had the opportunity to buy a coffee shop, so I did and I've been doing that full time ever since. We moved two years ago, but I never set my craft room again because the coffee shop had taken over my life and I had no time for ANYTHING else. Fast forward to now - I've just had to close the shop and I'm home again with my DD, and looking for work. I want to set up my space again but the only space I can use is a dark corner in our unfinished basement. I'm spoiled, and am not excited about sharing my space with spiders. I'm trying to get excited about being able to stamp again, but I need inspiration to help me with my dark unfinished spider-infested space... any pics or suggestions on how to make it homey on a ZERO budget would be awesome. I can't afford anything right now, so ixnay on the 'put up some drywall' ideas, etc...
everyone here is always so helpful, I know you guys will have some awesome ideas!
Thanks in advance!!!
Although my suggestion isn't ZERO budget, it is pretty small budget. Here is my basement craft space before and after photos (see posts 10 & 18 in this thread). I too have an unfinished basement - insulation and vapour barrier walls, exposed rafters in ceiling, and assorted odds and ends for furniture, a remnant carpet. The single biggest thing I did was to purchase cheap white bedsheets and stapled them to the walls to cover up the ugly pink insulation. It made the biggest difference. Other than a good office chair (I have some serious back issues so need a really good supportive chair), all of the furniture and storage is really, really basic stuff. The sheets cost a total of $62 from Walmart. You might even be able to find some white tablecloths or sheets at a local thrift store or yard/garage sale to bring the cost down further. The other thing that really brightens the space is the parrot picture - for you, it could be anything that either brightens your day, brings you inspiration, or just makes you feel happy.

The only thing I have added since this post is a fluorescent light fixture right over my head to better light the space.

I still share my space with the spiders and centipedes (and I do hate anything that has either no legs or more than six legs), but having nicer "walls" to look at helps calm me down when they scurry past me!

Hope this helps,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

At first all I can see is s.p.i.d.e.r.s. Shudder!

But spiders can be repelled. Here's a page that gives you simple instructions to take care of those yucky pests. How to Keep Spiders Out of Your House with Essential Oils Best of all, the oils are very reasonably priced...and smell wonderful!

Whew. Now that the vacuuming up is done and the oils are sprayed...

What do you have from past craft room days? Table? Bookshelves? Tubs? Drawers? Lights?

I agree with bjeans that lighting will banish a lot of the shadows in the basement space. If you don't have a couple of floor lamps (or similar) to begin with, save up and get one or two from your thrift store. Just having overall "room lighting" helps a lot! In my opinion, the floor lamps are better than overhead lights by themselves. Then set up what you have as far as furniture.

An overhead shop light would be another option. Lowes has a very basic shop light for the ceiling for under $13. I just know that you need more than an extension cord to make those work. But if you have a hard-wired bare bulb in the area, it could be replaced with the shop light.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ooh...strings of lights...

Craigslist free or Freecycle or community buy/sell/trade sites are a great source for free stuff. Just restrict yourself to stuff that's useful.

Another cool thing is free-standing walls made of pallets.

If you can afford paint, try painting the overhead stuff black. All of it, joists, bottom of upstairs floor, ductwork, everything. Then your lighting is striking!

Step two could be paint the walls a nice greige.

I love looking for ideas!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

And here's someone who knows how to make things work with zero budget. Sell what you don't use and use the little bit of money you make to get things that do work for you.

older and wisor: How To Create A {Budget} Craft Room

Just for inspiration!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Consider painting the ceiling a light not-too-cool blue, like the sky. Humans tend to feel grounded with a darkish floor (think of the forest floor), mid-tones and brights for the walls (the color of flowers, leaves), and the lightest on top. There are many good exceptions to this guideline from nature. But if you've ever seen the rule badly broken in hospitals and nursing homes, with light, shiny floors, it might make sense.

Love the essential oils spiders-go-bye idea! I don't tend to like scents; many make me sneeze and my eyes water, but I bet one of those would be an exception.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I KNEW you guys would be able to help me!! Thank you so much!

I LOVE the idea of the sheets on the walls - I'll probably make that my only purchase. It would make a HUGE difference. I still have my furniture, which consists of ikea tables and storage, so I'm all set with that sort of stuff. the previous owners of the house installed some of that shelving with the brackets on the walls that you can move around, so I'll be able to utilize that too I think.
I'll take some before and after shots so you all can see what I'm working with. In a way I wish that I could move upstairs, but my DH suffers from OCD and my little craft haven has to be out of his line of sight for the sanity of both of us, so in the long run it is better this way. Plus it will be good to be able to get away from the rest of the house, and close the door.
Please keep posting the ideas and pictures! You guys are awesome for inspiration. Any ideas for the concrete floor? I already have a great set of slippers...
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2016, 05:57 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

You might check with a carpet company to see if they might have some carpet remnants they're pitching...
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Like Fiona said, check carpet companies for remnants. Cut into squares (or shapes if you are adventurous) and tape them together on the back to make an area rug. I like the idea of checking Freecycle, Craigslist, etc in your area for a rug too.

Using screw hooks and basic wire, you can make a cable that you can clip your projects onto as inspiration and decoration on your walls.

Make sure to put music or a TV down there so you don't feel isolated while working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that it's close to the end of the year, you might want to check out carpet stores to see if they have any of their "display samples" of carpet remanentes that they are closing out for the "new 2017 stuff". Many just throw the stuff in the dumpsters. Also ask them about wall paper sample books, those wooden floor samples, tiles, etc. I would also ask local contractors in your area that do remodeling if they ever have any "left overs". I've acquired some really nice half sheets of plywood that I had a friend cut down for me to make shelves and such. Hey, you never know. The worst they can say is No or that they don't have any right now.

As for lighting, check out the christmas lights that are going to be deeply discounted on clearance very soon. You will be amazed just how cheaply you can buy them. Don't laugh, but I have the clear Christmas lights up around the top of my room and you would be amazed just how much "extra light" they put off. Plus, they don't run up the electric bill and can be moved or re-purposed in another area if and when you are able to get something that you like better.

I TOTALLY support the idea of Freecycle and Craigslist (Free stuff) in your area!! You would be surprised at the things people have "extra's" of or simply don't use or don't want anymore. MAJOR PLUS: It fits your budget price!

Finally, don't forget to search Pinterest and YouTube for ideas!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #14  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Concrete floor

Hi!

You might want to consider interlicking rubber mats. We have some near our laundty machines and other spots in the basement. Eventually we'll cover all the exposed concrete (at least thd spots where we walk).

You can find if searching flooring for exervuse roons but here's a link to The Home Depot:

Exercise & Gym Flooring - The Home Depot

It gives a nice cushion and warmth but the best part for us is thst we can do it in sections (we are still rearranging where stuff goes and the mats are omly being placed on bare concrete . .. not under any shelving, etc.)

HTH and ...
Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I did not end up covering my walls, because the are only half cement anyways. ive attached some before pictures so that you have an idea of where I started. I'll create another post with some after pics too.
😀
Attached Thumbnails
New crafting space needs help!-img_8457.jpg   New crafting space needs help!-img_8458.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

And here are some more pics. The first one is to give you all an idea of the 'creatures' that I found in my stuff. Thankfully I only found one alive one - although I'm almost certain it was a black widow!
As you can see I didn't end up doing much except arranging my stuff and getting it all out of boxes. I utilized shelves that were already there, and everything else I already had. Lighting is still a huge issue. There is only one outlet and it is far across from where I am working. Right now I have an extension cord running right across my room. Hopefully my father in law will be able to help me with that next time he visits. I only have a single overhead bulb but I think I can get some track lighting cheap that would help a ton. The empty table next to mine (the one on the far right) is a table for my DD. She is so excited to spend time in 'our' art room. And it's a ton of fun having her down there... most of the time! Check out how she's helping me with my big shot!
I'll check out my flooring options. We need something for sure. And maybe a space heater - it is Canada after all, -and winter.
Thank you guys again for all the ideas. If you have anymore, let me know! I know there will be a lot of 'tweaking' happening!
Attached Thumbnails
New crafting space needs help!-img_8468.jpg   New crafting space needs help!-img_8470.jpg   New crafting space needs help!-img_8471.jpg   New crafting space needs help!-img_8472.jpg   New crafting space needs help!-img_8496.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 04:21 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

And here are some more pics. The first one is to give you all an idea of the 'creatures' that I found in my stuff. Thankfully I only found one alive one - although I'm almost certain it was a black widow!
Oh my, you grow big, ugly spiders in BC! Those would freak me out if they went scurrying across my floor!!!!!!!

Your space is looking great - I love those tables!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

As you can see I didn't end up doing much except arranging my stuff and getting it all out of boxes. I utilized shelves that were already there, and everything else I already had. Lighting is still a huge issue. There is only one outlet and it is far across from where I am working. Right now I have an extension cord running right across my room. Hopefully my father in law will be able to help me with that next time he visits. I only have a single overhead bulb but I think I can get some track lighting cheap that would help a ton. The empty table next to mine (the one on the far right) is a table for my DD. She is so excited to spend time in 'our' art room. And it's a ton of fun having her down there... most of the time! Check out how she's helping me with my big shot!
I'll check out my flooring options. We need something for sure. And maybe a space heater - it is Canada after all, -and winter.
Thank you guys again for all the ideas. If you have anymore, let me know! I know there will be a lot of 'tweaking' happening!
There are several makers of electronic ultrasonic pest controllers. I have some and they work somewhat but not perfect. A lot less spiders. Check out online sites. They repel spiders, insects, mice and rats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I was also going to suggest the white sheets. In addition, I go nuts with out good lighting. I would suggest that whatever lamps and etc you are bringing into your work space, are very well spaced around your work space. If you can use the clamp on lights overhead, something to your left, something to your right, and probably something behind your table pointing toward your work area, because that is where I get the most shadows you will probably be much happier. I only have a central ceiling light in my room which is behind my back, and a little Ott light to my left and the shadows make it hard to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The happiest lighting I ever had was in one of our apartments - The way the furniture was arranged allowed me to have lights high up in every corner, and I literally had NO shadows!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by thdmsulvtView Post
I was also going to suggest the white sheets. In addition, I go nuts with out good lighting. I would suggest that whatever lamps and etc you are bringing into your work space, are very well spaced around your work space. If you can use the clamp on lights overhead, something to your left, something to your right, and probably something behind your table pointing toward your work area, because that is where I get the most shadows you will probably be much happier. I only have a central ceiling light in my room which is behind my back, and a little Ott light to my left and the shadows make it hard to see.
Maybe this will help - or not! - if someone doesn't have great lighting.

If you're right handed, you want your task lighting (like a desk lamp) coming from your left. Light coming from the right will cast shadows from your right arm/hand/shoulder/some anatomy part.

If you're left handed you want your task light coming from the right.

I have a powerful desk lamp with a long horizontal reach on my left (since I'm right handed), and a lamp on a two-drawer file cabinet behind me and to the right, but I angled the light so it's somewhat pointing up, not at me. That avoids shadows. (I also have a floor lamp to my left.)

That's for the crafting table; there are other lamps for the computer desk, just beyond the door (on a 2x4 Expedit), etc. One day I'll install can lights but the ceilings are vaulted, and it's a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

If you decide you need paint - check the "Oops!" pile at your local home improvement or paint store (I check Lowes or Home Depot in the states). You can find good quality paint for cheap! Maybe they mixed the wrong color or brand of paint or customer decides it's not what they want. Usually the colors are not that bad.
I picked up paint to do our bathrooms which was regularly $38.00 a gallon and paid $5.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
If you decide you need paint - check the "Oops!" pile at your local home improvement or paint store (I check Lowes or Home Depot in the states). You can find good quality paint for cheap! Maybe they mixed the wrong color or brand of paint or customer decides it's not what they want. Usually the colors are not that bad.
I picked up paint to do our bathrooms which was regularly $38.00 a gallon and paid $5.00
Funny side note: my father-in-law owned several rental properties and was...*ahem*...frugal. He'd buy several gallons of "oops" paint (not picky about color) and mix them in a 5-gallon bucket to paint an entire apartment. Got some interesting "new" colors...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Before you set up much more, have hubby or friend spray pesticide around the baseboards. around the windows, vents, anywhere those creepy crawlies can get in inside and out... Also make a note on your calendar to respray every so often. Check the home improvements stores for product.
Also check online for natural pesticides. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes