Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas on storing dies/framelits, etc.

I have 99% Stampin Up Framelits, dies etc. I store them on a magnetic sheet and then put them back into their original thick envelope and then they all get put into a Stamp N Storage box. I just purchased two dies from another company and I'd like to know what I can put them in. I don't want to leave them in their original packaging since it's just a thin plastic bag of sorts. I plan on putting them on a magnetic sheet, just need ideas on what to put that magnetic sheet in so that I can put them with my other dies in the box.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

If they fit in the same envelopes as the SU dies, I have a few empties I can send you. I don't use them, so they're just on hand for "in case"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

If you need to buy some - Close to My heart carries some

Object moved
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have some SU die packages that I'd love to pass on to someone as well. Cost of postage.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 04:26 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Default My organization system

I think your idea is actually better than this one. I started storing my dies in Art Bins, and got rid of all the packages they came in. But as I added dies, like you, many didn't have packages either. I was so inconvenient to get to the dies although I had them numbered and labeled and cataloged, I would not want to use them because it was too much trouble.

My friend was having the same problem. In addition to the problem of having to many dies and art bins, sometimes they would fall off the art bin as we dug through them. We had to dig out the old SU books to see what went together.

Here is how we store ours. We had on hand and then had to buy more (I believe 8 and a half by 10 in.) envelopes. They are fairly inexpensive and come in a box full over a hundred. We wanted to use all those art bin magnets we had purchased. They were the most sturdy of any we had. We cut all the envelopes off just above the art bin magnet. Then number and labeled all the dies and filed them according to what they were. - "Alpha-Numerical", "Nature", "Holidays" and etc. File them to what you think you would look under. The SU dies can sometimes be used with other stamps but the dies that went with a specific stamp set, we put on a cheaper adhesive magnet and put them with the coordinating stamp. (Like Stamps of Life dies and Impression Obsession. We did number them, take their picture and catalog them in a notebook. My friend and I cataloged everything in our craft room. Dies, Stamps, Embossing Folders. There is a site called "Bev Adams.com?" She is a Stamping Up demonstrator and has all kind of organizing pictures and so on you can download.
The envelope catches all the magnets should they fall off..Oh yes. I brought a large plastic storage basket from Walmart to store my dies in. My friend had a cute suitcase box that hers would fit in. Now, the only problem is that you aren't going to be able to lift this container to move it around. often. You will have to find a table or a cart to put it on. But, it is worth it. It is great and so easy to get out the numbered envelope and put it back. My dies were previously number and cataloged, (I didn't re-invent my system) so I didn't change the numbers.My dies are in the book by numbers. As I get new dies, they go to the back of the container. But my friends are filed according to theme. No numbers.

We are fans of Totally Tiffany and incorporate many of her ideas. Most of her containers are to small for us to use without spending a small fortune, and then having the same problem digging through containers to find the product we need. I like to see it and grab it instantly. But Tiffany has great ideas for organizing . If you have never heard of her. Check out her site too.

I hope this is not to long or to confusing. Basically, you stick those dies on a magnet, store them in a labeled (with picture) half of a large envelope and file them in a box large enough to hold them.

I love organization!
DonnaIC

Last edited by DonnaIC; 10-07-2016 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Add name
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 05:40 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
If you need to buy some - Close to My heart carries some

Object moved
Thank you. I'll look into these.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just bought a batch of Avery Elle Extra Large pouches. I've seen so many threads on here with people raving about them for storage, so I thought I'd give them a try. I'm loving them ladies, you were so right! They are very sturdy, and what I'm doing is transferring my die storage to them. I started off using magnetic sheets in A5 binders, but that is getting unwieldy now, I keep adding to my dies, lol.I started with two folders, and I'm now up to 8! Now I'm just cutting down the magnetic sheets I already have to fit into the sleeves. If I still have any original packaging, I'm putting that into the back of the pouch, behind the magnetic sheet. Then the flap closes to keep them all secure. I'm using a Really Useful Box to keep them in, and making my own cardboard dividers from thick card I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

"We are fans of Totally Tiffany and incorporate many of her ideas. Most of her containers are to small for us to use without spending a small fortune, and then having the same problem digging through containers to find the product we need. I like to see it and grab it instantly. But Tiffany has great ideas for organizing . If you have never heard of her. Check out her site too."

Totally tiffany system is basically a glorified catalog storage system. If you do a little research, you can make your own for a fraction of the costs. I personally use refrigerator acrylic storage containers (Aldi's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Shaz, I did the same thing you did. I had them in binders and it didnt work. (costly error) So I cut up those sturdy (and expensive) magnetic pages so they fit in plastic pouches. If I had left over bits, I saved them up, and score taped them to cardboard and put that Frankenstein into a pouch! No waste!

Now I get the magnetic vent covers and cut them down when i get coupons for the Ace hardware store. Not as ridgid so I might pop some cardboard behind it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I've been buying magnetic A4 sheets from Amazon, cheaper than 'branded' craft ones, but then, isn't everything? Generally, they seem strong enough on their own, but I'll remember the cardboard trick, just in case!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I have some SU die packages that I'd love to pass on to someone as well. Cost of postage.
Fionna, I might be interested if no one else has asked for them. Please let me know how much shipping to 10461 would be. You can PM me at your convenience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I store my dies on magnetic sheets glued to thin chipboard. I don't put them in a plastic sleeve or pocket. I have them all stored in a box. I can flip through them easily this way and don't need to fiddle with opening packets. I've never had dies fall off, get stuck or anything else. Having the box also means I can create dividers and store them by theme, and I can write the name and brand of the dies on the back of the chipboard for future reference.

I buy the magnetic sheet in A4 size and then I can cut it and the chipboard to the size I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I've been buying magnetic A4 sheets from Amazon, cheaper than 'branded' craft ones, but then, isn't everything? Generally, they seem strong enough on their own, but I'll remember the cardboard trick, just in case!
Do you have a link to the specific ones you use?

Very good thread, thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

This may not be the brand that shazsilverwolf buys but this is the brand I buy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they work great. I attach 2 sheets to a piece of mat board or chipboard that is cut to fit my binder boxes.

I like the ease of use of having them precut and having the adhesive already applied.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

All of my wafer dies sit in a 13x13 slot (bottom row, second from right) and...according to Evernote...I have 418 (YIKES) stored there.

I store my Nestabilities on magnetic sheets cut to size...in two 72-CD storage wallet (the blue ones). I have over 150 of them and they sit on my shelf and take up a whole 4" of space.

I store my Memory Box/Poppy Stamps etc. on magnetic sheets stored in "backpack" binders (the multi-colored ones).

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Doris, I just had a look at the link that Stamphappy supplied, and they are pretty much the same thing. I get mine over here in the UK as A4 sheets, and just cut them down, so they end up at more or less that size. Hth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks Gals!
Reply With Quote Likes