Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2016, 05:50 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default tecniques with laminating

I was reminded in another thread that I have a bag of self laminating sheets and pieces. I was wondering if anyone had some artsy techniques they could share besides the obvious intended use.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I like to use them for covering bookmarks so they last longer.

You could make your own tarot cards. I cant say playing cards because I dont think you could shuffle them.

Redeemable hug/kiss coupons to put in cards. Or whatever-like 1 chore.

If you do a board with stars for kids, you could make and laminate the stars and glue a magnet on the back. Or other kinds of magnets.

Coasters. If people tend to have big parties. They will store flatter. Make a set as a gift.

Ornaments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Wavejumper

I was hoping for more creative used other than as laminate cover protection. I seem to remember there be some techniques with glitter and inks. there are probably others as well, I just couldn't remember specifics off the top of my head. Guess I'll have to find time to "surf" the techniques section here and Pinterest on my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I use them to make "templates" to use with my dies so I can see what will fit where:

Not exactly artsty, but very helpful. More info on what I did on my blog HERE...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Interesting idea, I would never have thought of it. I would have to figure out what to use on the back side though as what I have is self-adhesive laminate and where/how to store the templates. Do you store yours with the dies or elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

It would still work with self-adhesive laminate. Just draw on one sticky side, then stick the other sticky side to it so the ink is trapped between. I store the templates in the front of the bin that the dies are in. That way I can play with different sizes/shapes if I'm unsure which one I want to use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

thanks, ideas are swirling now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2016, 04:23 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I use them to make "templates" to use with my dies so I can see what will fit where:

Not exactly artsty, but very helpful. More info on what I did on my blog HERE...
I know it's my brain, Sue, and not your writing, but can you ELI5*? How does the black punched sheet relate to the traced die templates made from pouches?

From your blog: "What I did was take a laminating pouch, open it up, slide one of the punched cards into place at the top, then trace a set of nesting dies in the spaces around it..."

Why is the die traced around a piece from a punch? Why have a piece of anything, unless you want the smallest piece from the set of nested dies?

I love the template idea for nested dies. The other night it took three tries to get the size right for a frame to pop out from the card with foam tape.

*Explain Like I'm 5
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry - in my head it makes perfect sense... I put the punched piece in the laminating pouch to make sure that the pouch feeds through the laminator properly without wrapping around the rollers and jamming. I have since discovered (several packs of pouches and several years later) that there is a folder included in the pack that you are apparently supposed to put the pouch into to run it through the laminator. Yes, I can be taught - it just takes a couple of forevers, lol! If you use the folder as appropriate, you can skip the punched piece. I wanted to have a laminated template for my punches, anyway, so it was no big deal to include it. I just filled in the area around it with the traced dies. I could have traced around the punches instead of laminating the punched card, but that just seemed like extra work, so... Does that make more sense now?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a folder? Who knew?! I get the 3M sheets; I'll look in the box.

Everything makes sense now, thank you! It's so hard to explain processes without step-by-step pictures. You did a great job; my mind was the problem.

I don't have that many punches. I cut laminated cardstock to a uniform size that would accommodate each punch separately, and punched each punch. Then I attached each punched out piece with removable tape next to the punched hole. So the 1" circle is stuck next to the 1" circle hole.

So I can look at an actual punched piece on a card. If the removable tape gets unsticky, I can add a piece, or if the punched piece gets bendy, I can punch another. Neither has happened, not that I use them much.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-28-2016 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Added laminated, clarification. Fingers, talk to brain before typing.
Reply With Quote Likes