View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
SkyNacho
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInPink View Post
Do you have the sketch or the ciaos? I found a good price on sketches... and the only real reason I'm leaning toward them is because you can get them in all the colors... and their shape. The ovals. I think I would like that.. and it might be easier to hold. Idk. I'd LOVE to find a place that has them so I could actually hold them each.

Do you find by using the lightest color, it picks up darker colors? I don't want to ruin my light colors by using them for blending color.
I have a mix of all the copics-- the sketch, the ciaos, and the originals, which are the square barrels... mostly because when I was filling in gaps in my collection, I found one or the other on sale. But I do like the sketch the best. The squares are just awkward shaped and after you use the sketch for a while, the ciaos seem tiny. I think they'd seem extra small, too, if you have arthritis. (Also, ciaos roll off the table.)

There is a dealer locator on that imagination international website. Take a look around and see if there's anything near you where you can scope them out. In my area, there is a college bookstore that carries them (along with other supplies for the art students). They were cheapest for a while but then got up to date on pricing.

The only time my lighter markers pick up the darker colors is when I specifically touch the lighter one to the darker one for that actual purpose. (It's a shading technique that I am not very good at. ) But even then, if I am done with the technique, I just scribble off on scrap paper. I have occasionally discolored a nib, but (1) it doesn't keep transferring color, and (2) the nibs are replaceable on copics.

Keep your eyes peeled on the buy/sell board, because people sometimes look to unload their single copics. Read a little bit about how copic does their numbering/color theory, and then you could try to grab a duo or trio of markers to try out. Not returnable, but sometimes people are selling markers for $2 or $3, so if you just get a couple to try out, you're not out a whole lot if you don't like them.

I will say this, though: I do like using my copics, but sometimes, they are a pain. Sometimes the colors don't blend like they should based on the numbers. I have a couple where I don't know if the ink is messed up or what, because they don't physically seem to blend right. They're my favorite of the markers, but they are also not perfect, so it's okay if it turns out you don't like them, either.