Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Tombow mono liquid problems

Am I the only one who has issues using the narrow tip of this glue? I store the bottle upaside down and also keep a pin in it so it won't clog. Yet no matter what I do, I can't get the glue to come out unless I use a vise!! I can get plent of glue out of the broad end.

Any tips?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Tombow Mono Multi all the time. I don't store mine in any particular position, usually it ends up lying on its side on my table. I do try to keep the lid on tight so it won't dry out. I don't keep a pin in it. When I get ready to use it - that's when I use a pin and push it into the end, and squeeze a little. It usually comes right out.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is that the only bottle you have had issues with? I've never had any issues with any tombow multi liquid glue, ever and I've been through a few. I only use the narrow tip and how I store it depends on if I am going to be using it quickly or at some later time. If using sooner than later I store tip end down, if using in the future I store big end down. Again, never had any issues with this product. Sorry you having issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never had any issues with any of the bottles I've ever used. I do store them upside down but don't use a pin. Sometimes there's a little bit of glue on the tip but I just rub it off. You might have a defective bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had issues either! Mine is usually stored on its side in a drawer. I don't use it a lot so it's not that it's a new bottle all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 02:09 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I also don't store with a pin in the bottle but I do slip a large-headed pin into the plastic on the bottle for the times when the glue doesn't begin to run immediately.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm in the same camp as Allistamps123 - mine is kept on its side, and only used occasionally, and I've never had any issues with it. I didn't even realise there was a wide applicator till my second or third bottle, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I store mine on their side too, at least until they are about empty and I want to get the very last dregs out of the bottle.

The only reason I need to use a pin is for the times I don't put the lid on the bottle right away and leave it open sit on the table for a minute or two. It will dry in that small hole really quickly.

My upline always stored hers vertically even when new, and we always had problems with them. Usually it was that too much came out when you first opened the lid. But then there was glue left on the tip, which coated the lid and then you couldn't get the lid all the way on and then the glue would dry in the tip. It was a pain.

I would recommend storing the glue laying down until you are at the end of the bottle.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

It must be just me and my stiff fingers. I've 3 bottles and all have the same problem. Even my husband had trouble with one. I'll try laying the bottles down and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I use this stuff constantly and have not had problems - I have arthritic hands, as well. One thing I do when I'm going to be using it repeatedly for a stamping session, is moisten a paper towel, scrunch it up in the bottom of a little cup or jar, and plunk the glue in, open
and tip down. The glue comes right out, (not in blobs, just fine lines or drops). I don't put the top back on until I'm finished with my project. I got this tip on this site from someone years ago - maybe it will work for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,910 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I love this glue and use it a lot. My only problem is when I'm nearly empty. I want every little drop so I have to keep tapping it upside down to get it all. Usually as I get lower, I store it upside down until its all been used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 04:52 AM   #12  

I use it almost exclusively and have for years. I have never had a bottle clog, ever. So, I would think that it's just maybe one bad bottle or maybe it's empty? They seems to feel like there is more when there's not since the bottom of the bottle is so heavy I think.

It does take some practice to get used to and not get glue everywhere. I use a really light touch and very rarely get any glue where I don't want it. I find it much more economical than other adhesives and I never have anything fall apart. And a bottle will last me a LONG time! And I tap the bottle all the time like Muscrat :-) I feel like I work at Subway where they bang the mustard and mayo bottles on the counter lol!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 07:21 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I use it almost exclusively and have for years. I have never had a bottle clog, ever. So, I would think that it's just maybe one bad bottle or maybe it's empty? They seems to feel like there is more when there's not since the bottom of the bottle is so heavy I think.

It does take some practice to get used to and not get glue everywhere. I use a really light touch and very rarely get any glue where I don't want it. I find it much more economical than other adhesives and I never have anything fall apart. And a bottle will last me a LONG time! And I tap the bottle all the time like Muscrat :-) I feel like I work at Subway where they bang the mustard and mayo bottles on the counter lol!
Love the green lidded Tombow. I sometimes have a clog but I just use a pin. What I have trouble with is getting it on my fingers! I use it to glue 3D items because it sticks tight like ScorTape. I have a horrible time getting it off! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Memories to Create

I love my glue. I do try to keep it covered when not using it. Make sure the dried up glue is pealed off before screwing on the lid so it closes tight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I always seem to have glue on my fingers and then on the bottle. I also would like to know how to clean this glue off fingers and the outside of the bottle. I am not a messy crafter. So this drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
Love the green lidded Tombow. I sometimes have a clog but I just use a pin. What I have trouble with is getting it on my fingers! I use it to glue 3D items because it sticks tight like ScorTape. I have a horrible time getting it off! Any suggestions?
I use a baby wipe if I get any on me. You could try that.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsey

How frustrating. Tombow Mono Multi is what I use 95% of the time, I also store my bottle upside down (unless it falls over HA) but I've never had a problem with it clogging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
Am I the only one who has issues using the narrow tip of this glue? I store the bottle upaside down and also keep a pin in it so it won't clog. Yet no matter what I do, I can't get the glue to come out unless I use a vise!! I can get plent of glue out of the broad end.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been using the green and white one for a while now and have not had any problems with it. When not in use it gets tossed in a drawer. Like others have said maybe laying on it's side has helped neither side get clogged. I've also got some build up in the the caps, aka glue globs. They stay in the cap though and perhaps they also help keep the tips from drying out and clogging. As the kids would say IDK.

I do need to see how much I have left, probably not enough for Christmas cards...gotta remember to get some more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I use a lot of mono and yes, it can become thick and hard to get out of the bottle - yes, yes, it's true. I doesn't matter how I store it or put a pin in the top, the mono inside thickens.

I'm a person who likes to test and experiment to see why things happen. What I learned is that even though the bottle is closed tightly, the mono will begin to slowly thicken and become clogged in the top once I open the bottle. Mu back-up bottles are several months old and when I open one they haven't thickened.

Pushing a pen into the wee hole doesn't really fix the problem. I found this to happen with the original bottle and when I transferred the mono to a fine tip applicator.

My fix...I add a few drops to the mono to thin it out. I only add a few drops at a time so I don't make the mono too thin. When I add the water I don't have any more problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had occasional problems with bottles of the Tombow Mono Multi. The glue is sometimes very thick and kind of off-white in color. It is extremely difficult to squeeze out of the bottle.

I emailed Tombow and they said it sounded like glue had been stored or shipped during freezing temperatures and had most likely frozen. Since I live where it snows, it is entirely possible that it happened during the shipping process. I now order my Tombow during the warmer months and make sure I have plenty on hand. I have not had a problem since then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #21  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Love this glue. Truly love it!

On the rare occasion when it seems to be unwilling to dispense through the little spout ... I do this:
  • Holding the bottle over a scrap paper or paper towel, squeeze with more pressure than usually needed.
  • Be watching for a little bit of white seeming to peek out of the nozzle, but not actually flowing out.
  • Using pinched thumb + index finger, grab that bitty piece & pull it on out.
  • Sometimes that's just what it needs ... remove that one little thickened bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Love this glue. Truly love it!

On the rare occasion when it seems to be unwilling to dispense through the little spout ... I do this:
  • Holding the bottle over a scrap paper or paper towel, squeeze with more pressure than usually needed.
  • Be watching for a little bit of white seeming to peek out of the nozzle, but not actually flowing out.
  • Using pinched thumb + index finger, grab that bitty piece & pull it on out.
  • Sometimes that's just what it needs ... remove that one little thickened bit.
Good description of how to fix a little "clog". That's how I do it, too. Sometimes I use a straight pin to help it along.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Good description of how to fix a little "clog". That's how I do it, too. Sometimes I use a straight pin to help it along.
That worked with one bottle the other day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I rarely have trouble with the Mono glue clogging. Just wiping the tip with a wet cloth seems to do the trick on the rare occasions that is does happen. I usually have 2 bottles in use. One is set upright so the glue is in the bottom (the way I use it least), and the other upside down with the narrow end placed inside an old empty film container. (Yes, I still have a collection of them and use them for all sorts of things.) My complaint is the same others have. When I get it on my hands or it squeezes out of what I've used it on, or gets on the bottle itself, it is forever sticky. When I get home I'm going to try a baby wipe. (Now why didn't I think of that?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Interesting.. I just bought this today.. finally was able to find it locally. I'll post back if I have any issues. *fingers crossed that I don't*
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueheronView Post
I have had occasional problems with bottles of the Tombow Mono Multi. The glue is sometimes very thick and kind of off-white in color. It is extremely difficult to squeeze out of the bottle.

I emailed Tombow and they said it sounded like glue had been stored or shipped during freezing temperatures and had most likely frozen. Since I live where it snows, it is entirely possible that it happened during the shipping process. I now order my Tombow during the warmer months and make sure I have plenty on hand. I have not had a problem since then.
Interesting. I had a bottle that was thick and off color. I thought I had just gotten an old bottle.
Did they offer a solution to the previously frozen glue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2016, 02:48 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Edited, because I see Buggainok and I use the same method!!! Duh, I do have to read all posts before posting!

I've found no need for a pin, never had to use one on mono, and don't store it any particular way. Before use I give a squeeze with the tip down, take my thumb and index fingers roll around the top then grab and pull out the plug that's formed. I've used mono for years and never had to throw a bottle out even after sitting in storage for nearly three months. Getting the plug out only takes a second, super quick! I've never had a bottle freeze, but I've read freezing does ruin most glues.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 10-08-2016 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes