Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lining Stuff Up

I have a vision problem that makes judging if something is straight difficult. For instance if I try to center something it will usually be off center but look right to me at the time. I can use a ruler, but that usually means leaving pencil marks on things and very often they don't erase right.

And then when I try to put something in place I sometimes have to reposition it either because I've tried to judge the placement by eye or because I've just plain put it down wrong.

So, any suggestions on lining things up and I also need to know about adhesives that let you reposition something without tearing paper or cardstock.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the simplest and least expensive ways to line things up is to use a see-through t-square that are sold at craft and art supply places, and on line. Like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Acme-C8735532...words=t-square

You simply butt the small end to the side of the paper if you're lining up across the page (or butt it to the top of the paper if you're lining up vertically/down the page), and use the long part as your line, so to speak. It will be at a perfect 90 degree angle.

Some wonderful person here - I wish I remember who - recommended these to stick to the bottom of rulers (or t-squares) so they won't slide. They're extremely thin so barely raise the ruler up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're just talking about stamps, a Misti can work well, using graph paper for positioning the stamp, then removing the paper and putting your card stock in its place and stamping. Lydia explained that after I was having a duh moment!

A last way, is to work on top of a light box, taping graph or lined paper down and your cardstock over it (with removable tape). If the cardstock isn't too heavy, and the lightbox good enough, you'll see the lines. This is more of an investment and you'd want to test it to make sure you could see your lines.

Others will chime in with great suggestions I bet. : )

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I often use a centering ruler (something like this one https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Ruler.../dp/B00161W7GC ) when I want to be sure that I have something exactly centred. I'll use a regular ruler, perpendicular to that, to butt the panel I am attaching to the base up against. I work on a mat with a grid, so I make sure that where the edge of the panel will be is lined up with one of the grids, that way I can be sure I'm keeping my ruler straight. Sorry, I'm sure it would be better with pictures!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Well this is a nice coincidence. I was looking for a video of how to use a t-square for lining up, but this video shows the t-square, lining up with a Misti, plus one more idea - adhering your craft sheet to a Dahle cutting mat - and the lines show through. Of course the lines wouldn't show through your cardstock, but you'd see lines to the sides and above/below the card.

My Favorite Crafty Things 2014: TOOLS + Discount Codes + Giveaways - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

As for glue, I like tombow mono multi glue. It gives you wiggle room if it isn't down straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

My favorite ruler is the C-Thru. They have a nice red grid and come in a variety of sizes. I like the 6" and 12" and they are architecturally correct. They are made with a centering guide so you don't have to make tic marks. Also, they are inexpensive.

One thing you may not know is that all rulers are not correct. You should check your rulers to your trimmer/paper cutter to make sure they are the same.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_47fy0ig2xb_b
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

You may have tried this or found the above advise works well but I learned from Kristina Werner of K Wener designs that the pencils with the thin, little lead you click up at the end like an ink pen erases really well.

She uses it on many cards to make light marks that she erases.

Just a thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2016, 01:48 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I tend to place my ruler across my card, add a bit of low tack tape to keep it in place, then butt my matting layer up to that. One way to give yourself a bit of wriggle room with tape- if you use DST on your card, peel off the backing them smear a little silicone glue onto the sticky side. This will let you slide it a little, instead of grabbing straight away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2016, 03:47 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Have you tried any of the Perfect Paper Crafting tools? They are supposed to make lining up edges easy.

Perfect Layers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking grid paper under your card and a stamp press over it to look through might do the trick, but dang!, Dini, that perfect layers tool looks sweet! (and less complicated ...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I say don't sweat it! it's handmade and it is just one of its charms if it's slightly off kilter, it makes it unique....that is what I tell myself & I am sticking to it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2016, 03:43 PM   #12  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I am the same way - I like my laser level here: https://understandblue.blogspot.com/...aser-cats
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd recommend the Misti! You can line up your stamp before inking and see through the lid, then fix it if you need to. (I think the mini-Misti is a featured product on the home page right now.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Being a sewing person I resurrected my Omni-grid ruler and rotary cutter. Gives me perfect 1/8" borders every time. I have also used Lydia's laser level too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow! Happy to have spotted this thread!
Vision is a pressing issue for me, so I'll definitely be trying the C-thru Ruler.
Dini's mention of the Perfect Layers tools is a good suggestion for straight-line purposes as this tool has a unique 'ledge' for snugging up against paper/cardstock edges. It's a nice tool to use with a craft knife or even pencil line.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 09-28-2016 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: sp vs auto-correct!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep one of these on my desk:
https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-620-Sew...s=sewing+ruler

It's hard to explain but here goes - because the marker moves, you can place the edge of the ruler against the edge of your piece and then push the tab to the edge of the card. Want to make sure the other side is the same distance away? Just flip the ruler the other way and measure it against the other side. If everything lines up, you are centered. Like I said, this is easier said then done but it's a gadget I reach for all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #17  

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

If I just want to line up something, I generally use a quilting ruler. It's gridded in 1/8' increments, and makes it pretty easy. I also have a Tim Holtz centering ruler--same gridding, plus the center mark. I've seen Darlene DeVries use her MISTI if she's layering 2 pieces that are the same size (like a full-size card front on a card base). Just place the bottom layer in the corner of the MISTI, and butt your top layer against the corner when you adhere the panel. I also have the Perfect Layers rulers (all 3). Great tools, and I have never regretted the purchase! The only kicker to those is, if your top layer is thin/lightweight, the lip on the ruler may not "catch" against it. I have that problem especially with lighter weight patterned papers. The ruler can also slip when you're cutting against it, if you don't hold it down really well. Just a couple of things to consider!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Thank you! A lot of great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a quilting ruler for trying to get my papers squared up when matting and layering. I have one by c-thru and it has 1/8" grids on it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
As for glue, I like tombow mono multi glue. It gives you wiggle room if it isn't down straight.
Absolutely correct! Tombow mono multi glue allows a less than perfect "plop" onto the card base and a bit of time to scoot it into correct alignment. It's my go-to adhesive when I know I can't take a chance of messing up on alignment.
And it's so dang easy to use and inexpensive compared to tape runners, why not use it? 8-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I am the same way - I like my laser level here: https://understandblue.blogspot.com/...aser-cats.html
Guess I need to go find my laser level because THAT idea is awesome!
I happen to be blind in one eye and have issues if my good eye is in any way stressed!
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I also use omni-grid rulers and I have one of these: center point ruler. https://www.amazon.ca/Center-Point-12-Ruler-CenterPoint/dp/B00PUUHK9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475277206&sr=8-2&keywords=Center+point+ruler

It's different than a center finding ruler. With this one you place the ruler along the edge and whatever the measurement is, you simply look at that measurement on the half scale ruler on the other side. With a center finding ruler, you have to move the ruler back and forth until the measurement is even on both sides. The center point ruler is faster and easier. I have a 24" one I used for sewing but it's too long for my craft space so I need a 12" one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I also use omni-grid rulers and I have one of these: center point ruler. https://www.amazon.ca/Center-Point-12-Ruler-CenterPoint/dp/B00PUUHK9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475277206&sr=8-2&keywords=Center+point+ruler

It's different than a center finding ruler. With this one you place the ruler along the edge and whatever the measurement is, you simply look at that measurement on the half scale ruler on the other side. With a center finding ruler, you have to move the ruler back and forth until the measurement is even on both sides. The center point ruler is faster and easier. I have a 24" one I used for sewing but it's too long for my craft space so I need a 12" one.
Very clever! Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If you do need to use the pencil I have a Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser that has never failed to remove every bit of pencil mark without harming the paper. Still haven't learned how to post a link so I apologize for that. I got my eraser in a pack of three at a local art store........gave one to my crafting buddy and hubby seems to have wandered off with the other one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

I was watching a 2015 video about masking, and at 11:25ish, using a T-ruler (to line up a sentiment in this case) without having to draw a line is briefly shown. : )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just saw the presentation on this gadget on HSN. It's by We R Memory Keepers and looks like it would work very well for those who need help lining things up. Here is a link. There is a video on how it works.

https://www.hsn.com/products/we-r-me...e-tool/8028789

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I am the same way - I like my laser level here: https://understandblue.blogspot.com/...aser-cats.html
I thought I was the only one with this problem. Every single photo I take needs straightening. I thought it was my eyes, but alas ... it's probably my brain. I'm going to need one of these tools!! Thank you for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes