Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you like that is out of style or not so trendy?

I came to stamping late so some of the techniques I like I feel like are not the current trends (which I could care less about). For instance, I see a lot of patterned paper for sale, but I see it used rarely on cards. I love using patterned paper (must be the scrapbooker in me). I also love things like z fold cards. I'm not into the really elaborate folds but some simple things like the z fold I think are really elegant and fun to make. I also like triple stamping and using flowers and ribbons...which again I don't see as much of now. What about you? Trendy or not? If not what do you like that you feel is "out of style?"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really follow trends, at least I don't think I do, and maybe by the time I discover something new, it's probably already old news to most :-) . I like using pattern papers, I use buttons, brads and would even use eyelets if it fits the card I am making. I also love revisiting and playing with old techniques I learned when I first started over 10 years ago :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Punches. They seem to be losing popularity to dies, but to get a smile square or circle, I still prefer a punch.
Also, the postage stamp look. I don't know why, but I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I still love my Dew Drops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Great question!

I am with you...what is old to the vets is new to me. I like brads. (I hear all of you shuddering out there-LOL-it's ok) I still use ribbon. Embossing pastes and stencils (although that might be on second life now with mixed media). Faux tiling. I might use my light box to emboss a particular image like a flower. I finally got in some core'indinations paper to try sanding. I like fancy folds. Though I am more inclined to buy the base already made except for Z folds or gatefolds. There's probably more I am not thinking of right now....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 516 Posts

Hmmmm...cards with lots of layers and details.....eyelets and brads...punches over dies...but I have to say that I have never been someone who knows what is trendy. I am always 50 steps behind! Not that I am trying to keep up, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been one who pays much attention to trends. If I like something, I will find a way to use it. If I don't like something, then I stay away from it. You can't force creativity just because an item is deemed trendy.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 02:51 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too don't really pay any attention to trends. If there is something I like thats 'in', I may buy it, but won't use it till the trend is well and truly over. But that's rare. A lot of the 'in' stuff, really doesn't do it for me. Moustaches- just why, lol-, flamingo's are just a couple that spring to mind. To me, not only was my hobby for my own enjoyment, but also to make things that were different to what I could buy, and once a trend hits, it's everywhere.
Old stuff I still love, Wavejumper, I'm another brad person, and don't even ask how many eyelets I still have. Also the faux tiles and I'm just getting into using stencils. Every now and again, I'll do some heat embossing, that seems really 'old school' now! Ribbon, although I don't use it that often, still love it.
Patterned paper, not so much. I was actually determined I was going to bust some of my Christmas paper stash this year. I have managed not to buy any- except maybe the odd Tim Holtz, lol- for a couple of years now, and I'm still stuck with loads of it. I've considered going the masterboard route with some to see if I can use it up that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 04:04 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the faux tile effect making the background look like lots of tiles or making the entire card look like one tile? See how non-trendy I am? I don't even know.

For an inchie/twinchie swap I used die embossing plus clear embossing powder to make tiles like these: In Touch: Inchies

I didn't question whether it was in or out of style despite the date, just loved the technique, especially for the flower. When the intricate un-stamped lines are revealed there's this ohhh moment.

As Heidi Klum (Project Runway) would say, one day you're in and the next day you're out!

It's a little hard for me to wrap my head around, since if a technique fits, it fits. It's like saying paint is in or out of style. Paint is just always. My newness in paper crafts is showing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

I like eyelets too!

Not the look I was thinking of, but yes, still a tile look! I was talking about like a tile wall look, but definitely people do single tiles!

If you YT it, there are apparently many ways to do it-ask for faux tile stamping technique...and yet I dont see the way I was taught LOL

My way-pick a stencil with a very large open image. Grab what dreamweaver (what I have) calls tile stencils-we might say a grid or windows...they come with different size openings.

LJ 811 Lg tile

You lay the tile stencil down first and tape it. Put the big image over it and tape it. Sponge daub the image stencil only. You will end up with your image in the tile pattern.

Pick up the image stencil, leave the grid. Let ink dry. Then daub over all of it with versamark well, pick up stencil, clear EP, heat set. You can always re-do if you want more height or you can use a thicker EP. This gives you the tile effect.

You might also emboss the tile stencil itself into the paper first for deep grout lines. I have not done that yet. I think you can use clear paste too, but I have not done it yet. There is crackle paste also if you want a distressed look. You can get bigger or smaller tile patterns.

Hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I like that! : D I had googled it and saw some that were backgrounds - your wall - and some not, so was just curious which one was being mentioned. And you explained it perfectly, thank you.

Re your last paragraph - if you emboss the tile stencil first, wouldn't you have thick raised lines so could not stamp over it? Or maybe they wouldn't be that thick?

See, now you're starting a re-trend, since those who didn't know about this will run with it. What's old is new. ; )

I have two dies that look like your tile stencil that make 1" or 2" squares, but if you mask the cardstock and run the die through the machine, it debosses instead of cutting all the way through. That makes a tile pattern too, though an inny instead of an outy.

My apologies for taking this OT. Love techniques and stretching dies or stamps.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

I smiled when I read your post. I don't really follow trends but I do like learning new techniques and interesting tricks to add to my cards.
For me I'm over punches, eyelets, patterned paper....all which I should try and use or get rid of. I do still love my little ole Cuttlebug as I don't have room for a big die cutting machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still love layers and textures!! I like Shabby Chic, mixed media, grunge, distressing, and staining edges. I actually have a lot of trouble with Clean and simple or single layer cards. I love to gaze at Clean and Simple cards, but I'm not so hot at making them. I like eyelets and brads too! They add texture and dimension, and I've always loved that! Brads look great when threading or lacing through them. Trends are great when they involve textures and dimension, but if a trend is something that doesn't appeal to me, I definitely don't follow it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I love patterned paper. There are so many wonderful designs coming out in patterned paper, a lot of which are entirely on-trend. Then there's patterns like polka-dots and stripes that are timeless and fit perfectly with any trend. I've found that I'm very much inspired by paper, so I'm not afraid to embrace it.

I think the reason why paper seemingly went "out of style" for card-making has nothing to do with the actual paper, but with the fact that it takes up room. A lot of the popular card-makers have such massive stamp/ink/stencil stashes that they don't have any room for storing paper, too.

Funnily enough, a lot of the time I find that the technique they're using for their card backgrounds (whether it's stamped, watercolored, mixed-media'd, etc) ends up with background I can find in my paper stash. Sometimes down to the very same color palette they used.

I also love using word/phrase stickers and alpha stickers (foam/chipboard/cardstock) for sentiments. Sometimes I combine them with a stamp, too, or a word die-cut. But other times they are just the perfect size and color for my card by themselves. They're great for spelling out uncommon words or personalizing a card with someone's name.

And, finally... Retired stamps/dies.
I used to worry so much about using retired stamps and how it would frustrate fellow card-makers who might be looking at my cards for inspiration. But I learned over the past couple of years that trying to keep up with only the newest stuff is a) impossible and b) going to propel me straight into bankruptcy. So, I let go of it. I use what I've got and what inspires me, and I apologize to anyone that falls in love with the stamp and gets disappointed that it's retired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still using brads, although I do use enamel dots too. I have a big stash of brads and eyelets. I thought the sequin trend was very strange as I always thought sequins cheapened things, but I'm using some on my cards now. Shazsilverwolf, what is a masterboard? I use some patterned paper, but also enjoy making my own too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Not a big conscious follower of trends and fashions here!
I like brads and eyelets, trying to make myself use them more. Problem is they do make mailing harder. Same with Dew Drops - I love seeing cards with them in the gallery, but I have a card with some ready to mail tomorrow and that needed bubble wrap and extra postage.
And I like a lot of the older techniques that are not used so much - Rock and Roll comes to mind for starters.

I still like old-fashioned fussy-cutting. I understand people finding dies easier if they have problems cutting, but personally I find white outlines around animals/people/objects set in a scene distracting, and would rather resort to masking or fussy-cutting to create scenes.

The first Monday of each month, our Technique Challenge here is "Everything Old is New Again", and we are trying to feature some of the older techniques. Some work better with all the new stuff we have - but there was one fun fold that I'm not sure people could recreate without the slot punch which practically everybody used to have back in the day, but I don't want to count on many people still having.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #17  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Wavejumper, not for the first time I wish you had a gallery! I'd love to see one of your tile style cards. I'm thinking it would work with a low-tack tape like quilters tape to create the grid, since that is removed last. That's what I've used sometimes for grid techniques. Your tile one certainly isn't any of the four different ones that I can think of!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 657 Likes on 414 Posts

Laura, I am thinking Masterboard is when you take a background sheet and alter it. so, a lot of the time it becomes a mixed media piece with paints and textures ( what ever you toss on it) but, after you are done, you chop it into little bits and pieces. and use it as a base for another piece so, a lot of master board becomes ATC cards that get altered over the top of that.
( to make it something you want to use, not something you go Eh, what did I buy this for?)

well, evidently I don't "know" what is trendy because, a lot of things mentioned are things I routinely do without thinking about. I think you just have to play how you want.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Cook22 - what are Dew Drops and where do you buy them? Are they those clear enamel type drops from PPP that is always out of stock?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #20  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura339View Post
Cook22 - what are Dew Drops and where do you buy them? Are they those clear enamel type drops from PPP that is always out of stock?
I don't know? Originally they were made by Robins Nest, and they come in a range of colours other than just clear. I think they're smaller and more raised than the standard enamel dots that people use. Personally I always got them from Frantic Stamper - before the exchange rate and my budget both deteriorated, she was my one-stop shop for almost everything..

Dew Drops ~ Originals

Here's a card where I used the clear ones - this one, I hand delivered last week: VSNMAR14IJ Blowing in the Wind and Rain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

Cook22 - those are very cute. I've never heard of them. I can see that they might be difficult to put in the mail. Your card is gorgeous! (Off topic - sorry - I see you are from Dublin. I was born in Belfast, but have lived in Canada most of my life.) I love making cards, but it is expensive to keep up and buy all the latest products. So, we'll have to make old products trendy again.��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

DSP...I'm still buying it from SU. I still use my buttons, ribbon, brads,and I still love those corduroy buttons and brads SU had a few years back along with the really old felt flowers that came in the silver tins.

I still use and love my punches, almost all are SU.

I tend not to go overly trendy and I use what I like no matter how old.

Like we always say, the recipient of our cards doesn't know what's in for card making.

Trends I haven't jumped on are doilies, sequins ( they have grown on me), washi tape, enamel dots, twine bunched in a circle behind something, and BIG sentiments. I like when I see these on cards, I just need to use what I have!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 09-18-2016 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm definitely not trendy. I love patterned paper and use it on almost every card. Also still use brads and eyelets and stamps that are 25+ years old. I have tons of ribbon and have to force myself to use it so I can use it up, but use just a strip of ribbon, no bows since all my cards get mailed. I use gems, pearls or enamel dots on most cards and even use stickers - I put the stickers on card stock and fussy cut it out before I add it to my cards. Lately the only items I've bought are dies and more dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I just keep in mind that the recipients of my cards have no idea about trends. None are crafters of any kind. So I do what I like, and many different styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

I definitely agree with Elle about retired stamps and I collect a company that's been closed for years. (Stamps Happen). If I ever did a gallery people could be unhappy but I got em on Ebay...so anybody can!

Harvest-you said it! Our recipients have NO clue what's trending!

Re your last paragraph - if you emboss the tile stencil first, wouldn't you have thick raised lines so could not stamp over it? Or maybe they wouldn't be that thick?

Beth-I dont know b/c like I said, I havent tried it. The grid lines are your "grout" lines so if we embossed it and then flipped it so the embossed side is up...then inked it...you could end up with very raised tile sections? Which might not be bad.

If you have something that will act as the tile stencil (or taping it) and just use a circle template to experiment with...you will get the hang of it and then be ready to use a more complicated open shape.

I say use a large open shape b/c that is how I was taught and b/c it is the easiest to get a dauber into. But I am thinking if you wanted a stencil with small flowers or something...and you want to spray it instead of daubing (after protective masking) that might work. Paste might create a relief look.

You just dont want a medium that is going to spread under the tile stencil layer and ruin your grout lines.

Sorry-didnt mean to hijack the thread.

Sabrina-that is kind of you I only have 1 pic of a tile card I did and it makes me cringe to look at it now...I would keep the tile part but the rest...yeeesh.

Gee, I feel a new thread question coming on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if none of us are buying into the trends, WHO DO THEY MAKE THEM FOR??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
So if none of us are buying into the trends, WHO DO THEY MAKE THEM FOR??
I think they hope to appeal to all of us - after all, they do stay in business only if people continue to buy. But they're most useful for newbies and for people who make a living from card-making.

When I started stamping, I definitely mainly bought the trendy things. If I didn't have that kind of focus, I think I would have been incredibly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of supplies, techniques and styles that are out there. Once my stash was bigger and I had some experience with what I consider my style, I could move beyond the trends and focus on buying what works for me.

For people who make a living out of card-making (or blogging/yt), it's a reassurance that they're not working with one obscure product that is frustrating to find. Recent felt trend is a good example. Companies started carrying felt and felt dies, but I've chatted with plenty of crafters who had a stash of felt from years ago or who just picked up a felt pack from their local craft store. So, when a popular crafter blogged about making felt plushies, people with different levels of experience and different stash sizes could feel inspired equally.

So, I see trends as a good thing - even if I don't follow them closely. Plus they give you both the opportunity to play along with what everyone's doing or stand apart because you're doing something completely different.

Just my 2 cents, anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Faux Dew Drops

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I don't know? Originally they were made by Robins Nest, and they come in a range of colours other than just clear. I think they're smaller and more raised than the standard enamel dots that people use. Personally I always got them from Frantic Stamper - before the exchange rate and my budget both deteriorated, she was my one-stop shop for almost everything..

Dew Drops ~ Originals

Here's a card where I used the clear ones - this one, I hand delivered last week: VSNMAR14IJ Blowing in the Wind and Rain
Frugal Crafter has a faux Dew Drops tutorial using a hot glue gun. I rub on Perfect Pearls to make faux pearls. I just treated myself to a new hot glue gun with a thin nozzle and can get nice small ones. I used my old glue gun to make the tear drop shapes. Still practicing with the new one to make minis. Here's a couple of cards using the faux drops The Reflection of Our Tears, Birthday Roses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #29  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Mmm, I've seen people use hot glue, and yours look great. I'm pretty sure I received a card from MariLynn with some of her glue ones - but I'm not that handy with mine. Or else my sticks of glue get too old waiting to be used, LOL. I'd be more tempted to try the DIY enamel dots, but I don't have the time or patience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Old stuff

I have been a crafter/SU Demo for over 15 years now, so I have followed a lot of trends. SU prides itself on being on-trend, so I am tempted to try something "new" every time a new catty comes along.

The trend I miss is real watercoloring, using watercolor pencils or crayons. Using ink to color is OK, but does not have the depth of the pencils or crayons. I still have my beloved crayons and pencils, but don't use them on projects for clients since they can't get ahold of them.

Old trends I still follow are raised embossing with a light table, using patterned paper whenever possible, retired stamps (I have hundreds I just can't part with), brads, and lots of lace.

I try to sell off my old stuff to my clients once or twice a year, but always find things I "must" keep. So the pile of "vintage"--not old--items in my collection is pretty big!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

The same question
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Default Memories to Create

I agree with Creativecardsea. I would be broke if I kept up with all the new stamps! I'm trying to be creative with stamps I already own from the past 20 years plus. I try to use pattern paper, dies especially stitched and cross-stitched frames to set out my focus. I try some new techniques but only keep what I like best. I don't care for just wording with special fonts with different shapes and paper behind it. I need a picture with words, my love for scrapbooking
showing I guess. I love both! I do love to emboss at times. Using step ups, box cards, and flip its are great to add depth and requires more creativity for me.
As a retired kdg. teacher of 40 years I have seen trends come and go and repeat. We need to keep what we love and has pleasing results while adding new trends that work for us and make them fit together to get pleasing results!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #33  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I believe that you use whatever makes you happy. Yes, there are trends, even in paper crafting. But, trends come and go. If you wait long enough, what is old becomes new again.

So use your supplies, stamps, paper because they make you happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Wait...what? Patterned paper is "off trend?" And ribbon?

Not in my house! :mrgreen: I just made a bunch of sympathy cards using old paper with some sketch challenges. Those challenges are great for using stashed-away supplies!

I am not a follower of trends, and I am fine with using older stamps, pattern paper, and other supplies. (I do enjoy learning some new techniques, especially for backgrounds) On occasion, I pull out my stash of old spiral clips (gasp!) or felt flowers...because they are pretty and fit my style...which is apparently "Tight-budget-so-use-what-you-have-Eclectic."
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
DSP...I'm still buying it from SU. I still use my buttons, ribbon, brads,and I still love those corduroy buttons and brads SU had a few years back along with the really old felt flowers that came in the silver tins.

Me too. Special people are worth the extra postage for those embellishments! LOL
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

I own very little patterned paper. Just never seemed to get the hang of mixing and matching. I enjoy the new stamps that create patterns and splotches etc. I use my patterned paper mainly to make envelopes! I love brads, ribbons and brass stencils and still use them. I have gone back to colouring with watercolour pencils and pencil crayons since the adult colouring book craze hit. So does that make it trendy or what is old is new again? LOL! I still use old stamps and lots of layers to create my cards. I don't think I'm trendy... I try to be but I enjoy the oldies but goodies the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

Another non-trend follower here. I've always resisted being just like everyone else. The biggest issue I have with trends is that everyone's work starts to look the same and there seems to be no room for originality.

What usually starts a trend is someone popular and talented uses a new product, and because most of us are followers and want to 'be just like her/him', we have to have it.

Although I have a stash of pattern paper, I rarely use it. I still enjoy creating my own backgrounds using stamps.

I've pretty much learned that I don't have to buy every stamp or die that I like, especially when I have something similar in my stash. There are too many things collecting dust, because I simply don't have the time or inclination to use it all.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Interesting you should pose this question. I feel lately like I am totally off trend. I still love the vintage looking cards. That seems to be completely out of style now. I still think they are beautiful. I like using the big background stamps to add movement and texture to a card. They aren't being used much either. Once SU ran a special on the large background stamps and at Splitcoast we saw many cards using multiple background stamps. I loved those cards. I shouldn't be surprised, though, because I always seem to be marching to a different drummer than the majority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I love using trends but I don't follow them just because they are trendy. Watercolor pencils and crayons may not be a current SU! trend but the rest of the crafting world is picking up many traditionally fine art techniques especially and including watercolor. For me this isn't a trend, I've been using watercolor for a long time, I just put it down for a while in favour of Copic markers.

I love sequins and while they might have started out trendy, I don't plan on dropping them. Cutesy seems to be popular but it's not my style so I have very few stamps from say Lawn Fawn and Paper Smooches. But I love dies and despite having an electronic die cutting machine, I keep buying them!!

Another 'trend' is interactive cards. But I also remember many interactive cards using the word window punch from the early 2000's. I've always made them! I never got into owls, foxes, triangles, gems etc. I do sometimes use beads and eyelets, they are staples I'd never give up.

My style is elegant, vintage and shabby so I'll keep buying that. I love patterned paper so 6x6 pads of some type find their way into pretty much every order!

I think patterned paper will never go away and some companies that used to only be stamp companies are producing paper like Lawn Fawn, PTI, MFT and Taylored Expressions. I see a lot of it being used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #40  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it's interesting how many of us don't follow trends. This "hobby" we have come to love (and yes, sometimes hate too) does have it's journey doesn't it? When I first started stamping I had to buy everything I saw...and don't even get me started on those coupons! If I had a coupon I had to go buy something (come on - I was getting the most perfect thing I had to have at 40% off right?). Over the years I learned that just because someone else uses _____ and it looks great on their cards doesn't mean it will look great when I use it. I've learned that my style is truly basic - give me a sketch to start with, some dsp, an image, and ribbon or a button or brad and I'm happy. Trends come and go. My style still stays the same and that's ok. I no longer think I have to keep up with what is new or have to have that "must have" item that everyone raves about....It's been quite a journey but I'm happy with where I am now and so is my wallet. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes