Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Acquisition for Michael's

I just read on the CHA Facebook that Michaels acquired Lamrite West Inc. Are they a midwest store? I was looking at CHA stuff, and ran across this, so it was just by accident. I don't know how to link it, but will try.

https://www.facebook.com/CraftandHobby/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's some more info: Pat Catan?s Craft Stores Acquired by Michael?s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Thank you so much Victoria for the information. There are so many companies out there in our vast country, that I was not aware of who they were. Thank you for responding and clearing that up, I appreciate the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh, this does not sound like good news for Pat Catan fans. (I grew up in Cleveland where it began in 1954; going there was like being in heaven in the 50s and 60s.) The company avoided issuing coupons, and carried many products that the big box stores do not. Thanks to Victoria for the link to the informative, if very sad to me, article.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Here is some clarification from a Cleveland, Ohio radio station:

From Pat Catan’s Craft Centers: Pat Catan’s will not be closing any stores. We will continue to grow our business as you know it. We will always offer the low pricing and customer service you love. We have a very, very bright future ahead with leadership from Michaels, the best in the industry.

The store also clarified on their own Facebook page, adding:

Pat Catan’s will continue to operate as a separate entity under Michaels. We will maintain our Pat Catan’s name and history, and we will continue to offer the best value, customer service and community involvement in the crafting industry. No stores will be closing (we are actually opening several new Pat Catan’s stores in the coming months!) and there will be no layoffs, but we are excited for the additional resources that Michaels will provide to help us better serve our customers.

(I hope what Pat Catan's said is true!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Hmmm.....interesting for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

We don't have their stores in So Cal where I live; never had heard about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

"Lamrite West" is the parent company of Pat Catan, but also does business as Darice . Darice has been a major wholesale distributor for most of the smaller stores and for Joanns and some things at Hobby Lobby.

In another article they said they will keep Lamrite West ( Darice-Pat Catan) as separate businesses.

I have a friend who is the accountant for a small art and craft store and she said Joanns , Michaels largest competitor, is also the largest account for Darcie . Stay tuned . This may get interesting .

Michaels Buys Pat Catan's for $150 Million | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog | Cleveland Scene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post

From Pat Catan�s Craft Centers: Pat Catan�s will not be closing any stores. We will continue to grow our business as you know it. We will always offer the low pricing and customer service you love. We have a very, very bright future ahead with leadership from Michaels, the best in the industry.

Pat Catan�s will continue to operate as a separate entity under Michaels. We will maintain our Pat Catan�s name and history, and we will continue to offer the best value, customer service and community involvement in the crafting industry. No stores will be closing (we are actually opening several new Pat Catan�s stores in the coming months!) and there will be no layoffs, but we are excited for the additional resources that Michaels will provide to help us better serve our customers.

Leadership from Michaels is a joke. Michaels does not know how to train Management, and all the problems they have flow down to the hourly employees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Pat Catan's is a new-to-me name. Apparently they have 30 stores in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia and Indiana. Interesting crafty news though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Nancy Nally's Scrapbook Update has this article on the subject: Michaels Buying Darice Parent Lamrite West - Scrapbook Update Nancy notes there are more potential ramifications to this deal than meet the eye, some which Barbara Jay alluded to above.

The best part about Pat Catan's always has been that it ISN'T Michael's or JoAnns. Joann's corporate headquarters is in Hudson, Ohio, about 25 miles away from Catan's main retail stores outside Cleveland, and not far from Lamrite's headquarters in Youngstown. The merchandise mixes of the three stores are different, the staff attitudes are different, the prices are lower at Pat Catan's.

I am saddest because another long-time, family-owned, well-run business is going the way of the big box stores. As Barbara Jay said, "Stay tuned. This may get interesting."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

And now Michael's has purchased the rights to the Hancock Fabrics brand and intellectual property: Michaels buys Hancock Fabrics brand | Chain Store Age

They seem to be investing and expanding in so many different directions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

And now Michael's has purchased the rights to the Hancock Fabrics brand and intellectual property: Michaels buys Hancock Fabrics brand | Chain Store Age

They seem to be investing and expanding in so many different directions.
I don't know why Michaels keep expanding and taking over other craft stores. I will stand by my words as an former employee, Micheals does nothing about poor management. Hourly employees out on the floor especially cashiers don't get training. For years Michaels has cut hours on the employees, especially the cashiers.

Not all employees are trained to be cashiers. So when lines are long, that means not enough cashiers were put on the books to work.

Michaels cuts back full time hourly employees and took away benifenits recently, because Michaels "told" their employees the company was not doing well.

Guess that is a big fat LIE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Michaels "told" their employees the company was not doing well.
I think it's a peculiar, and desperate-appearing, business strategy. Instead of getting bigger, I'd think they would analyze what is making money and what isn't, and make decisions based on that. Bigger isn't always better. It will be interesting to watch this play out over time; I hope the process isn't painful for the company's long-term employees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I was sad to hear Catan's had been sold to Michael's. Never cared for them personally, Michaels that is. When this was announced I spoke to another "in the know" business person in Strongsville. He stated under the agreement Michael's had to keep Pat Catan's name on the stores for 3 years. What happens after 3 years? Michaels's opened a new store in Strongsville about 4 months ago. Stopped in once. Nice new store but was not impressed. This new store is about half mile from our Catan's and personally don't believe Michaels will keep both stores open in the long run (IMHO).

The Catan family is a huge presence here, owns and develops real estate in Strongsville.

I guess only time will tell how this actually affects the Pat Catan stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's horrible and hopefully they never get a hold of Hobby Lobby. I hate the Micheal's in my town dirty and hardly anything there.

Erica Sandwall
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I am blessed with 3 Pat Catans within easy driving distance. While they pretty much carry the same merchandise, each of the 3 has a distinct personality. Anyway, I can usually find there what I can't find at JoAnn, Michael's, or Hobby Lobby. I love getting Darice embossing folders for $1.00 at Pat Catans.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

This is truly sad news for those who have enjoyed Pat Catan's stores. https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...ore-chain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Part of the agreement when Michaels bought Pat Catans was they had to keep the Pat Catans stores for two years. I've been wondering when the Strongsville, Ohio store would close as a new Michaels opened less than two miles from the Catans location. I've was in the new Michaels twice in 2016 and haven't been back. There is just no comparison between the two stores. If you're familiar with both businesses you understand the differences. I guess I'll have to do my shopping online at Consumer Crafts which seems to carry most of what Catans carries. I think CC is part of the Darice arm of the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 03:38 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
Part of the agreement when Michaels bought Pat Catans was they had to keep the Pat Catans stores for two years. I've been wondering when the Strongsville, Ohio store would close as a new Michaels opened less than two miles from the Catans location. I've was in the new Michaels twice in 2016 and haven't been back. There is just no comparison between the two stores. If you're familiar with both businesses you understand the differences. I guess I'll have to do my shopping online at Consumer Crafts which seems to carry most of what Catans carries. I think CC is part of the Darice arm of the company.
Just be aware that shipping times are slow with CC. There was another thread on here about that, Takes a while to pack and ship, slow shipping method and customer service is slow to respond (if ever). Ive ordered twice; received my order but it took about three weeks to get to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I've ordered from Consumer Crafts many times without a problem and found their customer service to be top notch. There is another thread I found singing their praises about this company. Wasn't able to find the thread you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I've not heard the name Catan's either, interesting as to what is going on..... The last time I was in Michael's I remembered to bring my coupons... the time before that, I forgot, thinking they'd give me the discounts anyway--With all the signs up on everything saying they were on sale, WRONG! So, this time I brought the coupons, & I said something about them not giving me the coupon discounts last time, & the girl at the register said, They are making it so everyone who wants a discount HAS TO HAVE the coupons! No coupons, NO DISCOUNT! AND that means, you BETTER HAVE a computer & printer to get them! You HAVE TO BE one of their "members".... I AM one of their members- as Michael's carries some things Hobby Lobby doesn't. (You'd THINK they would SEE THAT when they ask for your phone number.... & give you the discounts, right?) I told her, I didn't like it! I'm SURE what I said, wouldn't go anywhere. LOL At Hobby Lobby, sometimes our printer has been out of ink for the 40% coupon, so I just jot down the code # & they give me the 40% off anyway. AND everything marked ON SALE, you get the sale price at the register, NO PROBLEM! NO COUPON needed for those things! HOBBY LOBBY WINS FOR ME, HANDS DOWN! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
The Charmed Life

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well the Pat Catan's stores are all closing in the Pittsburgh area. Michael's is the new owner and they claim that Pat Catan's was losing money. Some of the stores will be reopened as Michael's stores. I am surprised they stayed open for 2 years. I thought when Michael's acquired them they would close them down. I liked shopping at Pat Catan's but it's the sad end of an era.

My Blog- The Charmed Life

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Pat Catan's is/soon-to-be-was a regional group of stores that began before Michaels came along in the 1970s. I made frequent trips to Pat Catan's when growing up in Cleveland, also to Cleveland Fabric Shops, which are now known as Joann and are also headquartered near Cleveland. Even people not from that region are familiar with "Darice" products, which are made by the parent company of Pat Catan's.

Now that Joann's rival Michaels has acquired the company that owns the Darice brand, you are noticing that Darice items are being replaced by other brands in Joann stores. So even though you never were fortunate enough to shop in a Pat Catan's store -- which always had a better selection of many different things and often higher quality than Michaels did -- your shopping will be affected by its demise. It's just a sadder day for those in the northeastern Ohio region and environs who fondly remember "when."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2019, 07:21 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you for tip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
I just ordered on Feb 3 Sunday- as they had the resealable cello sleeves to keep my cards in and envelopes I always bought at Pat Catan’s when I traveled to Ohio.
Not only did I get a 20% discount code, but free shipping and tracking notice tells me my package will be here by end of day today. feb 5. Tuesday. Wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #26  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

That's interesting. I will have to go back and re-check a facebook post from my friends who live near Cleveland. I thought they had posted that their local Pat Catan's is closing.

I did just order some things from consumer crafts on Friday. While the order hasn't been delivered yet, I received the shipping notice that it is on its way, estimated delivery date of Wednesday, 2/6. And that was for items that said delivery was 6-11 days.

Quote:

From Pat Catan’s Craft Centers: Pat Catan’s will not be closing any stores. We will continue to grow our business as you know it. We will always offer the low pricing and customer service you love. We have a very, very bright future ahead with leadership from Michaels, the best in the industry.

Pat Catan’s will continue to operate as a separate entity under Michaels. We will maintain our Pat Catan’s name and history, and we will continue to offer the best value, customer service and community involvement in the crafting industry. No stores will be closing (we are actually opening several new Pat Catan’s stores in the coming months!) and there will be no layoffs, but we are excited for the additional resources that Michaels will provide to help us better serve our customers.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Kerry, the post you refer to is from Feb. 2016. So yes there were no immediate closings or layoffs.

Part of the agreement when Michaels bought Pat Catans was they had to keep the Pat Catans stores for two years. I've been wondering when the Strongsville, Ohio store would close as a new Michaels opened less than two miles from the Catans location.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

We have a Pat Catan's near Toledo that has been opened for only a few years. I was in Thursday and asked them if they are closing and he said they are in October.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #29  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I LOVE Pat Catan's and have so many great memories of shopping there. Well, rebranding them as Michael's won't cause me to continue to shop there as I have not shopped at Michael's or Joann's in 10 years. I love great customer service and will pay more for it and I found both those stores sorely lacking in that area. It is also why I have not shopped at Target in 5 years - the one local to me is terrible! My local Wal-Mart is exceptional, though - friendly, helpful employees and shelves always neatly stocked. Love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

You're fortunate to have Stamp Fanci in Pittsburgh for stamping-specific supplies. There are so few stamping and scrapbooking stores remaining; I drive 20 miles one way to mine as often as possible, and stop by Stamp Fanci when visiting relatives there. (I also used to hit every Pat Catan's I could find when visiting. Truly the end of a special era!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #31  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I have not been to Stamp Fanci since it came under new ownership. I LOVED shopping there, but then I had to put stamping on hold for awhile and next thing I knew, it had a new owner! You have me wanting to go explore it, though. It's about 30 minutes from me and I have time tomorrow to go. Thanks for reminding me of this gem in my backyard!
Reply With Quote Likes