Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gift of cards for daughters in laws for Christmas...yes or no?

So I watched some you tube videos made by a young woman who gave gifts of cards to various friends and relatives for Christmas and also as shower gifts for her bridal shower. She made a large number of cards and I can't imagine the work involved. The cards were lovely and creactve. She admitted she mostly cased the cards and gave credit to the original card makers. It stated me thinking that I could do,something like that. Not only would I be able to use all these supplies that I've accumulated but it would be fun and something to do with my time.
The only trouble is that I have a very small group of people to give the cards to. I thought maybe my two beautiful daughter in laws who are busy professionals might appreciate them. Neither of them are crafty though so I'm a bit nervous. Not everyone appreciates paper crafting, either the effort or money we spend. I thought I could make a pack of 10 cards each, some birthday, some thank you, some baby and wedding/anniversary cards since they are that age where all their friends are getting married , having kids and buying houses. I also am going to make a set for my youngest daughter with probably a different mix of cardssince she is young and single.
So, what do you think, am I setting myself up? Have you ever done this and how was it received. Thanks for the input!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I think its a great idea. I have always had good reception when offering those as gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I always make sets of personalized note cards to give as Christmas gifts to the gals in my family, DILs, and granddaughters.

I debated and decided not to make actual cards because I think everyone's taste is different in greeting cards - i.e. do they like flowers, cute animals, etc. and what colors do they like. I didn't feel up to making those decisions, so I decided on notecards. I lined the envelopes to match and they were very well received. Here are some samples from my gallery:
Attached Thumbnails
Gift of cards for daughters in laws for Christmas...yes or no?-note-cards-owls-001.jpg   Gift of cards for daughters in laws for Christmas...yes or no?-kitty-notecard-set-001.jpg   Gift of cards for daughters in laws for Christmas...yes or no?-christmas-notecards-2015-001.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

You're right that not everyone appreciates papercrafting. I've never gifted cards but I've thought about it, I just chicken out.

But I think that if you go into this project with zero expectations about what their reactions will be, you will enjoy the crafting process more and be more satisfied with the gift-giving aspect of it.

Also, try to keep your cards flat and standard sized so they don't have to use extra postage. If you DO make something that is off-shape or extra bulky, then pick up some of the stamps that cover the non-machinable surcharge (I think they might be 21 cents now) and include them with the gift, marking the cards that will require extra.

Have fun crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, I didn't give this as a gift, but just last week, I went through my stash and picked out 10 cards for my daughter. She is just starting her second year in the working world, so this saves her money. I gave her a variety: birthday, baby, thinking of you.
Several years ago, I was invited to a 70th birthday party, and gave a set of Thank Ayou cards as a gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I give cards as gifts to both my sisters, my SIL (because she kept saying she'd order some from me but never did, and since I don't really enjoy making to order it was more enjoyable to just pick suitable ones from my stash) and my best friend. I specially make a set of Scripture cards for someone in church as a Christmas gift every other year.The notecard option sounds both good and safe, but in my experience, a selection including sympathy, wedding, birthday, new baby and general "thinking of you/just a note cards goes down well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several years ago, I made sets of 4 fairly fancy cards and a box to put them in for 18 different people. Only 2 people told me thank you (one was a lovely note). I live out of state from some of them who were family (!) and others work in the office where my husband works here, so perhaps if I were there in person they might have said thanks. Just kind of soured me on the whole thing though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm part of a pretty crafty family so our Christmas gifts always include something handmade. Since I'm the paper crafter in the family, it's cards, notebooks, etc. One year, I even made "emergency card packs" for the boys -- a birthday, anniversary, Valentine's Day and "I'm sorry" card.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

people in my family are on the creative side ( not necessarily just paper arts) So, gifts of card packs that I have given away I have found that although the people love them. they do not give them away. they look at me all shocked like and gasp and say but, YOU made them...

so, after doing it a few times I did not do it again, I just mail them cards for them personally that they can display and keep.

but, that being said all of those people were 50+ years and up. So, I am thinking that maybe your dil's may not have that hang up and may just use the cards but, it probably depends on their sentimental scale in their heads. ( can they part with this thing YOU made?)

ETA now, I do a card booth once a year and my own friends will come and buy the cards on purpose to give away. So, I think it really depends on the people. if they like to give hand crafted gifts themselves.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

A few years ago I made the altered lunch tins and gave them as Xmas gifts to my group of five friends who get together for dinner every couple of months........I put dividers in them for Birthday, Thank You, Sympathy and Misc. and put three cards of each type in also. This past year when we were discussing hobbies two of the ladies spoke at the same time asking for more cards as their Xmas gifts.........so that's what they got. I have also given them to certain family members and as thank you gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it's a lovely idea. Caveat: knowing the receiver's personal taste/style may be key to their using the cards.

I used to spend a looong time shopping for just the right card, not that I sent many, and cards were generally offbeat, humorous, just the right message, and/or had animal photos, etc., given my and my recipients' taste. Or occasionally cards were small pieces of art, blank inside and made by artisans benefiting from a non-profit organization.

If someone had given me a gift of hand-made cards, I would have sincerely appreciated the time, artistry and caring behind the gift. And then I probably would have donated them to our go-to thrift shop - and would have been grateful to have something that pretty to donate.

If the people you're making cards for tend to send roughly the style of card you're making, then I think you're golden. Just my 1 cent.

Last edited by bjeans; 08-24-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Go for it and as Emily said, have zero expectations! I've given packs of cards for gifts for years. My MIL doesn't get them anymore as she wasn't very interested. Two of my friends love getting the cards and pout if I give them anything else I in turn love creating for them. I echo what bjeans said on knowing their taste. I give an assortment based on what's going on in their lives. One of them asked if I could start putting sympathy cards in her pack. The other needs more children's birthday cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Kitty I will take the cards your MIL doesnt want! LOL. She must be crazy! Your work is amazing!

I like that idea! I say do it!

I make note cards for people-I just find out their fav color. Then I riff off that. One gal I do her initial that I got special for her and just make cards in the three colors she said she likes. I might EF a few too. I heat emboss the intial and then just pop it on them. Another one I have a fox stamp because that is good for her and I emboss on cards the color she likes. And so on. Not hard, they can use them as hellos, or thank yous.

I used to scope the clearance section at Hallmark for stationary and then personalize that for myself and gifts. But no one writes letters anymore (but me) so now I stick to cards.

I love getting card sets. I dont know what's wrong with people! Sadly what I need these days are sympathy cards. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I say ... DO IT!! I think its a great idea! (I'm doing the same thing for family members this year)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I have done this before. I found some pretty Christmas boxes, made nice holiday cards, coordinating tags, packaged them up, gave as gifts. Cards were very well received. When my grandmother was still alive, I also enclosed postage stamps with the cards.

I like gifts I can use, so will other people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Do your DILs appreciate the cards you give them? My family has asked specifically for cards for a certain occasion, but in general, they don't send cards. They text, or message on FB or phone instead. I do make a set of cards for an elderly friend, for her birthday, an assortment including Thank You cards, she appreciates them and uses them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done this with family and friends, and people were really pleased. I did not go for bulk creations. Instead, I focused on fewer cards that had each specific person in mind - things like their favorite animals, their hobbies, favorite colors or personal styles. I tucked in a few general cards, too, for those last-minute life occasions (sympathy, congratulations, thank you). A few people have since asked me to send them any spare cards I have, because they made good use of their gift. That was a very proud moment for me.

Another thing that was extremely popular - like, talked about at dinner multiple times - was a personalized notepad I made for Christmas. Everyone loved having something with their name on it, especially since it was small enough to fit in a purse or pocket. So, maybe something personalized could work for your daughter-in-laws, too?

If you have a pretty scripted alphabet stamp, you could stamp a stationary with "from the desk of (Name)". 10 personalized sheets + 10 matching envelopes would be a lovely gift, and you can add a little variety with some subtle stamping (lightly colored swirls or florals in a corner, for example).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SURE! Why not......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone...I'm nervous but think I will go for it. I get what you are saying about simple note cards maybe being more appreciated but that's not really my style and if I was going to go that way I think I'd just buy them . My one daughter in law likes high end things so she's the one I am most worried about . However I do know what colors and style she likes. My other daughter in law is more down to earth and I think/hope she will appreciate anything but I don't really know her style as well. For my own 25 yr old daughter I am going to do mostly birthday cards with funny sayings and some thinking of you type cards. I'm giving her a smaller pack just because her generation doesn't send cards much. At least I'll have fun doing it, will make use of my supplies and hope they like them but will keep my expectations low. In all my years of paper crafting I've never given gifts to others...I've read way too many posts from people on message boards who gave this type of gift and were disappointed in others reactions. Thanks for your encouragement . I'm kind of excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to be an enabler, but if your dil likes high end fashion, do check out The Ton stamps. They have some stamps of shoes, fashion books etc that would make for a very fancy card or 3.

Penny Black has a few clear sets that are similar, but feel more retro/vintage.

And remember! Even if you don't get an enthusiastic response, you still used up some of your stash and then you have an excuse to get more new goodies. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

It's a great idea. I do this in a variety of ways - I just gave a pack of 15 to a former coworker for her birthday today. She was thrilled. I have used them as birthday gifts, shower game prizes, donated packs to various fund raising events, church festivals, I even give them to my hairdresser in lieu of a tip. My favorite is every Christmas I give all four of my sisters 12 envelopes. Every month I make them each a card (usually the same card) and I send it to them along with a hand written letter. They get a letter from me and a card to send on to someone else. They really seem to like this gift. Some months I send them a specific card (sympathy or graduation for example) and other months, I may send up to three sentiments with the card so they can choose which one to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Love some of your ideas and I do have some Ton stamps but not the ones you are talking about. You are an enabler 😊but actually I think some of these images would be perfect for her! Off to look at their website!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I am getting ready to move across the country (well, halfway), and plan on making a set of cards for each of my 3 sisters. The stamp set I'm using is particularly appropriate: Don't Forget to Write by Papertrey Ink. I plan on adding some monogrammed A1-size notecards, as well as a book of postage stamps. And as an added bonus, I ordered each of them a pen from Pengems:
PenGems Crystal Pens

I think these will make great gifts from their big sister and I know they will appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How lovely - a complete kit. Our Post Office had the most beautiful and fun Forever stamps the other day, Linda. You can also order them on line. You must already know this, but just in case someone doesn't... I love stamps that add a little zing.

They had birds in the snow, pets - including exotic ones, vintage veggie/fruit labels, and a set that was colors in neat patterns - one color per stamp. There were others but I don't remember the rest.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks, Beth. I just looked for stamps online and found books perfect for 2 of my sisters: one loves ice cream so Soda Fountain is perfect for her; another loves hiking and traveling so the National Park set is perfect for her. None are speaking to me for the 3rd sister.
Reply With Quote Likes