Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros Cons on Dies vs Electronic Cutting

In my (frequently changing) mind, the Electronic cutters are hands-down the best option. BUT...I always side with FAST or QUICK, dies are faster even if I do have to set a heavy BigShot on my workspace.

I saved a LOT a few months back when I opted to use the Cameo and offered Sil designs rather than buy a collection I LOVED but didn't see much I would use it for. Spent about $10 and saved $100...at least!

NOW, I am thinking, it is just as much a pain to use the Cameo or Explore because it takes up more room in my work space and is a head-ache to scan my stamps make a file and cut them.

Is there a decisive PRO that outweighs the CONS of Dies Versus Electronic cutter??

Hubby looked at me like I was sick...lie mentally when I said I might need/want a new cutter. (He's a mental health person, ugh).

Could you list your PROS and CONS? I need some very real insight!:confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if this will help, but I'll share my experience.

I saved up and bought a Silhouette years ago. This would have been one of the first models. I had a Classic Sizzix, with just a small collection of dies, but dies were so expensive (and back then, took up so much space). I really thought that I was going to LOVE the Silhouette, and that it would solve all my problems. I could cut anything! It looked like a dream come true. But...

After about a year of fighting with it, I gave up, and gave it away. It just never worked for me. First, I couldn't cut "any" design - I had to find a way to get said design onto my computer screen first, and I am NOT a graphic artist. Second, no matter how many different things I tried, I could not get it to cut through heavy cardstock. Hopefully, the newer ones cutter the thicker paper better. And something like the Scan and Cut would eliminate the need to actually be able to draw, LOL. And there are a lot more SVG files out there now.

But I have been so much happier since I got rid of mine. I love love love my Sizzix! I have since upgraded to the Big Shot Pro because I cut a LOT. I actually wore out my last Big Kick. Thin dies are small and easy to store, and they have so many amazing, detailed designs! And it's so much less stress - I get a good cut, every time, without a computer. I will say, though, that I have a designated place for my die-cutter - I don't have to "take it out" when I want to use it.

I know that there are happy Silhouette users out there, but I don't miss mine at all. I love my big, heavy, manual, "old fashioned" die-cutter. :grin:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One OR the other? Is that really in the DNA of a stamper?! lol!

On the (more) serious side, I'm saving my pennies for a Scan N Cut, haven't seen one 'in person' yet, but watched enough video clips to see it's potential and want to play with one in a big way (and will want the kind that also cuts through cloth, because at that price, being able to use it in multiple ways, across hobby/craft interests will be important). Having said all that, it seems to me that the electronic cutters are great for the outline type cuts, but can't do the intricate cutting work that many of the dies for die cut machines can do ... and if possible, I'd love to be able to do both. For now it's hand cranking my beloved CuttleBug, but someday, I hope she's sharing a bit of shelf space with a lovely Scan N Cut machine. The things they can do together ... happy sigh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I think both have PROS/CONS

I like my electronic die cutters for cutting stamp outlines, boxes, 3D items, multiple cuts, bigger items, engraving, cutting chipboard, etc. I also like using them for cutting shapes/dies that are not available or that I only need one time.

The Big Shots/eBoss, etc. are great for one or two of something, intricate cuts and quick.

I have both types: love and use them! More of a personal preference I think. I don't think you save space with either/or though..you just have a different type of supply taking it up

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a cricut and a big shot. I use my big shot so much more, because like you I prefer fast and easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Silhouette (I have a older SD model)... the designs can be resized as needed and you can also make your own cut files of your stamps. I can also cut circles any size I want and not have to worry about storing dies for simple shapes.

With that being said, there are some dies I must have, but I have to really want them or not be able to create something similar. I have a Vagabond that I use for dies.

I use my Silhouette the majority of the time and hope to replace it someday with a wireless Cameo 3. It would be nice to have the 12" cutting area.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 08-18-2016 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I never went into the purchase of my Cameo thinking I would stop buying dies. I have more dies probably than all the craft stores in town combined! I love both ways of cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Big Shot, Cricut and ScanNCut.

I use the Big Shot most because I can pick a paper and easily visualize the size/look of my cut.

I rarely use my Cricut because I can never pick the size that matches the picture in my head. I always end up cutting more than one.

I LOVE my SCanNCut. I have the original version. Of course I wish I had the new one but this one works just fine. Also, I have not had the time to play with SVG and fancy things yet. I cut around printed or stamped images but my fave function is the scan to cut function. I can scan any shape or any size in and then choose to cut the same thing in whatever size I want. It is very useful for cutting multiples like tags or shapes for my papercrafting business.
It is THE machine for "dummies" who are not very tech savvy. I know very little about files and cutting but can use this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
I have the Big Shot, Cricut and ScanNCut.

I use the Big Shot most because I can pick a paper and easily visualize the size/look of my cut.

I rarely use my Cricut because I can never pick the size that matches the picture in my head. I always end up cutting more than one.

I LOVE my SCanNCut. I have the original version. Of course I wish I had the new one but this one works just fine. Also, I have not had the time to play with SVG and fancy things yet. I cut around printed or stamped images but my fave function is the scan to cut function. I can scan any shape or any size in and then choose to cut the same thing in whatever size I want. It is very useful for cutting multiples like tags or shapes for my papercrafting business.
It is THE machine for "dummies" who are not very tech savvy. I know very little about files and cutting but can use this one.
Diane, if you have done your updates to the SNC, you should have almost all of the features of the SNC2. Wifi being the major difference but honestly, that isn't a big deal

To the original post, I use dies and also my SNC which I love. I can cut out anything that I want or don't have a die for. I thought it would replace my having to purchase dies but there are some I still will purchase while others I can just use the SNC.

The price of the SNC when on sale is about the same as 10 SU die sets which over a year or so, I know I will save on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I Bought a Silhouette Cameo thinking It would replace dies and save me money.
Well, I have now had my Cameo 2 + years and I am still buying dies.
Most of the time using the Cameo is too much rigamarole . I can cut with my Big Shot or Grand Calibur much faster than setting up the Cameo.
Plus I like the embossing on Spellbinder dies .

For 2 years I bought an annual subscription to the Silhouette store when they had a discounted price on it near Christmas. Each month they credited me X amount of money to spend in the Silhouette store. The credits expire after 60 days. I found myself buying cut files I never used. This past year I did NOT buy a cut file subscription . I thought if there was a must have cut file I would just pay for it. This is mid August and I have not bought one file so far this year.
There are people who love using and having an electronic cutter .

In hindsight I should not have purchased the Cameo .

Just my 2� worth
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2016, 11:34 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

I have the Big Shot, eBosser and Scan n Cut (acquired in that order). The eBosser was a competition prize which, sad to say, I rarely use because the Big Shot and SnC do all I usually want/need between them.

Probably the main advantage for me of dies is that there are so many lovely intricate and embossed designs available. The SnC can do intricate up to a point, but not embossing (although I see its software now supports an embossing kit which isn't yet available in my part of the world). The SnC wins out in its sheer flexibility; I can cut any size which will fit on the mat, position the pattern where I want, and of course with the scan to cut function, I don't need to collect dies which match my favourite stamps. I used to prefer the BS as being quicker to set up, but now I'm getting more practiced with the SnC, there's not a lot in it.
If I had to choose one or the other, the logical choice would be the SnC. But really, I'd rather have both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm another to vote for both types. I bought my Silhouette when they were first released, so it's over 10 years old, and still going strong. I love it because I can cut a sentiment/relation/name in any size I like to fit my project/ Also means I don't need a die for every type of relation! Very useful in single sex marriages!
Like a previous poster, I was horrified at the cost of a set of alpha dies back then, I bought my machine for less than one set. I rarely use the scan and cut, to be honest. I use it in the main for the reasons I said. I've also used it to cut my own stencils from OHP film.There are so many free files out there now, it's great. Also being able to cut in any font I like, rather than just one. Also for cutting using 'Dingbat' fonts. Get some great images that way. I love it for doing a whole batch of cuts- say a load of 'Happy Christmas', rather than having to do them individually.
I have a bug and a BS Pro too- needed for embossing folders, also because I do have a number of dies, and sometimes that is exactly what I want.
So, I have to vote for both types, each has it's plus points.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 05:28 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I have a Grand Caliber and a Cameo. I'm a techie. I work in IT. I do the layout for all my cards and projects on the computer anyway. So I love my Cameo. I use it daily.

I got the Grand Caliber so that I could cut spellbinders dies. I find that it's almost always too much trouble to pull that thing out and use dies when I can quickly design something similar in Silhouette Studio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I Bought a Silhouette Cameo thinking It would replace dies and save me money.
Well, I have now had my Cameo 2 + years and I am still buying dies.
Most of the time using the Cameo is too much rigamarole . I can cut with my Big Shot or Grand Calibur much faster than setting up the Cameo.
Plus I like the embossing on Spellbinder dies .

For 2 years I bought an annual subscription to the Silhouette store when they had a discounted price on it near Christmas. Each month they credited me X amount of money to spend in the Silhouette store. The credits expire after 60 days. I found myself buying cut files I never used. This past year I did NOT buy a cut file subscription . I thought if there was a must have cut file I would just pay for it. This is mid August and I have not bought one file so far this year.
There are people who love using and having an electronic cutter .

In hindsight I should not have purchased the Cameo .

Just my 2� worth
Barbara
I could have written this almost word for word.:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm embarrassed to say I've had too many cutters over the 16 yrs I've been sbing and stamping. Anyone that's been around for awhile might remember the original Quickutz....which cut one letter at a time and took super human strength to use...it was expensive but the alphabets for it were even more outrageous...like several hundred dollars for one set. I had that with probably two different fonts which I hardly used since it was such a pain. Then I got a regular Sizzix and a few dies...again barely used. Then a revolution which I used a bit more than the others. I then took a break in scrapbooking for several years and when I came back brought the Silhouette. I used it a few times but ultimately it never cut as well as I wanted and I found it too complicated to use. I then bought A cricut Explore which I have nothing negative to say about it. Unfortunately I got into card making shortly after I bought it and found for card making , using a manual die cutter was so much quicker. I bought a Cuttlebug and then upgraded to the big shot which I use more than any die cutter I've ever had. I probably use it every time I make a card. I will probably keep the explore for sbing if I ever get back into it but for card making 100% prefer my big shot. If money were no option, I'd love to explore the scan and cut to see if you truly could cut anything with it. I guess that would be the ultimate cutter if it's easy to use and cuts well. So I think the answer depends on your strengths. I have a friend that uses her Silouette all the time for school projects for her daughter and things like that but she is pretty computer savvy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was toying with the idea to get a Silouette but I know I am not that computer smart and have decided I have enough basic dies and punches that I will live a full and happy life with them. It does get time consuming when I do a lot of one thing then I remind myself that I'm burning calories so it like I'm working out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I'm embarrassed to say I've had too many cutters over the 16 yrs I've been sbing and stamping.
There's no need to be embarrassed. You're among friends here. We understand
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am surprised no one is talking about the Cricut Explore or Cricut Explore Air. I love mine. I have the original Cricut Explore. I just made my own die cut, and it turned out perfect for what I wanted! The new Cricut Explore cuts like a dream. It has a new German steel blade and it lasts a long time. I had a Cricut Imagine before and it was a terrible cutter. I liked the features it had, but it didn't cut well at all. The Cricut Explore lets you set the pressure of the needle for varying card stock sizes. It can cut from paper to chipboard. You just set the dial for the kind of paper or cardstock you need to cut. I love the Design Space and love creating my designs on the computer. Now it has apps for your IPhone, and you can design on your IPhone and cut later! How cool is that? Save the project and cut it when you are ready. The Cricut Explore Air is wireless version. I like putting the design in the sizes I want. Scalloped ovals and ovals just a smidgen smaller. I can adjust the size to what I need, and it cuts it perfectly. It doesn't emboss around the edges like Spellbinders die cuts do, but when I want embossing around the edges I use my Big Shot. I have a magnetic board full of steel dies, and I use those when I need to too.
I was very happy with making my own Christmas Card die cut this year I made my own design, welded the letters together, and put a Christmas design below the sentiment. It turned out really great. I just love having both options. A die cutting machine and steel die cuts for various things. The draw back about steel die cuts, is it can only cut that one size. My Cricut can cut bigger or smaller as I need of the same design. All I do is adjust the size
To me it's very much worth the price of the machine. Very happy with it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

The thing which put me off the Cricut when it first came out was that if you bought one, you were locked in to having to buy their proprietary cartridges. Is that still the case? Or has the new ability to design your own patterns online removed (or at least reduced) that restriction?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2016, 02:25 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Jill with a G, if you want embossed edges, just cut a size smaller out of a couple of pieces of regular cardstock, stick them together,then place under the part you want to emboss, and run through your Big Shot. I have a couple of Sizzix die sets that will only cut, not emboss, and this was how I got around that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2016, 04:20 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a Big Shot which is on my desk at all times, an I love the quality of the cuts. But I was buying a lot of stamps from a company that sold svg files an not matching dies. I also thought saving money on dies was a good thing. So I got a Silouette and began climbing up the learning curve.

I was never thrilled with the appearance of the cuts, but I was ok enough with them, in spite of all the fussing I had to do. But then, the usb port got fried, and now I have to transfer files to an sd card to actually use it.

I also got the pixscan mat which usually only works well on one side of the mat or the other. I'm not ready to throw it out yet, but I find myself fussy cutting more and more.

The truth is I don't use the same stamps over again often enough to justify the matching dies, but I'm getting more of the frames/borders/generic type shapes than anything else. It WAY faster than the rigeramole i have to go through with the silouette.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
The thing which put me off the Cricut when it first came out was that if you bought one, you were locked in to having to buy their proprietary cartridges. Is that still the case? Or has the new ability to design your own patterns online removed (or at least reduced) that restriction?
What's cool about the new Cricut is that you can cut your design, or your own images, computer images, jpgs, pngs, etc. I love this feature! I can also cut out any downloaded font I choose too. You are not limited to the proprietary Cricut cartridges! Of course it lets you cut those! Another cool thing is since I had the Cricut Imagine, I was "granted" every image they made specifically for that machine! I love that! It also has a print then cut feature, and that works just fine too! I absolutely love how they've improved the Cricut!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Jill with a G, if you want embossed edges, just cut a size smaller out of a couple of pieces of regular cardstock, stick them together,then place under the part you want to emboss, and run through your Big Shot. I have a couple of Sizzix die sets that will only cut, not emboss, and this was how I got around that.
What a great idea! Thanks very much, I'm going to try it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Silhouette to save money on dies. And I no longer buy the matching dies to stamp sets. I have both Big Kicks (6" and 9") and use them more than the Silhouette (it's faster to hand crank on the die).

I could live without the Sil, but I'm glad I have it. The SVG cut files are so cheap compared to dies and I have enjoyed finding images on the internet and dropping it into the software and manipulating it to create my own cut files. I forced myself to learn it, and the more I learn it the more I get out of it. It's got a steep learning curve though (for me).

If I had to chose between the Big Kick and the Sil, I would chose the Silhouette. Mine has paid for itself twice already. I do use it in ways that save me money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an Expression and I gave it and all the cartridges away because I just don't like futzing with it. I saw an excellent demo of the Scan 'n Cut. It looked so easy but I just can't buy one because I know I'll do the same thing as I did with the Expression. I won't want to take the time to learn it.

I upgraded to a Big Shot Plus and I'm in love. Yes, I have a lot of dies but for me it's simple to just grab a die and cut. I use it for almost every time I stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Why I'll never ditch my CuttleBug:
(How cool are these projects?!?!?!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just one of the many, many ways to play (and customize), and why I'm saving those pennies for a Scan N Cut:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Or. What is this word you speak of? Does not compute. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Goodness Sakes! Thanks everyone for your answers, they really got me thinking. I find myself agreeing with ALL the posts! So I realize it's probably 'ok' that I am waffling back and forth because THAT IS WHAT WE DO!! :rolleyes: It is TOTALLY what we do!

There is no right or wrong or better approach. So I'm accepting the 'things I can't change'....lol!

Even a dear friend of mine who was totally committed to her Cricut, and now has the Explore, recently bought a BS and all the Heartfelt stamps and dies her credit card would allow. All this after 4 years of being in a monogamous die cutter relationship!

Bottom line, I LOVE my machines...ALL of them!!

I will probably buy a SnC2 from someone who no longer uses theirs or they get a new one 'cause I just can't hand over the kind of money a new one costs.

Think I will spend the day making files for my new Julie Nutting stamps. I'm hopelessly addicted to those Dolls! I know, shocking isn't it :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
Goodness Sakes! Thanks everyone for your answers, they really got me thinking. I find myself agreeing with ALL the posts! So I realize it's probably 'ok' that I am waffling back and forth because THAT IS WHAT WE DO!! :rolleyes: It is TOTALLY what we do!

There is no right or wrong or better approach. So I'm accepting the 'things I can't change'....lol!

Even a dear friend of mine who was totally committed to her Cricut, and now has the Explore, recently bought a BS and all the Heartfelt stamps and dies her credit card would allow. All this after 4 years of being in a monogamous die cutter relationship!

Bottom line, I LOVE my machines...ALL of them!!

I will probably buy a SnC2 from someone who no longer uses theirs or they get a new one 'cause I just can't hand over the kind of money a new one costs.

Think I will spend the day making files for my new Julie Nutting stamps. I'm hopelessly addicted to those Dolls! I know, shocking isn't it :shock:

I was still a newborn crafter when I bought my cameo and im...frugal? I couldn't comprehend spending that type of money on a hobby I wasn't sure about. I bought it on flexi pay through HSN.

It made me feel better about the big purchase and I'm so glad. I feel like two is the way to guy. My Cameo cant use embossing folders and there are dies I just love and have to have.

Im weird. I will buy a hundred little things that equal to 100$, but I have a problem spending 100$ on one thing. This is why it took me a while to get my copics which I also love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Leona, I totally get it! I'm that way, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I waited many years to purchase my Silhouette Cameo 2 after already having a Sizzix Eclips that I barely used. I much prefer the cameo because of the super easy to use free software. I have it in a cubby where I just have to pull it over to my work surface. I feel like having it that accessible (and always plugged in) makes a big difference in how often I use it. I recently used it to make my own version of a MFT die that I was drooling over after I saw Amy R from Prairie Paper and Ink use it. Saved myself $12.99 right there.
That got me thinking about all the wonderful word dies I've been envious of and then I was like "DUH! I can totally make those with the silhouette!" Downloaded some cute fonts for free and got to work making words like "happy", "Thanks", etc. I looked up how much it would cost me to buy those as dies and just on one 12x12" sheet I "saved" myself over $100.00 by cutting with the cameo. I was also able to easily design banners and simple shapes in the design studio. I also really like how many the files available in the library are more mature and classy looking. I've always felt that cricut catered more towards the cutesy and kind of kiddish style. I really like using the pix scan mat to cut out stamped images. I've easily made my money back with this machine and I haven't had it for a terribly long time. My cameo cuts 140lb water color card stock like butter. I've also used it for vinyl projects and it's so much fun! OMG, now I want to go home and cut my babies name for her wall. (Due in less than 2 weeks. Why didn't I think of that before!?)

I love my Big Shot too and would never have just one or the other. The big shot is needed for embossing and spellbinders dies. I just can't replace those. Plus I get card kits that come with dies and need a way to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have decided to sell several of my electronic and manual die cutters I mean who need so stinking many? Using Ebosser so letting go of Brother Scan n cut, Grand Caliber, Cameo, and new in box Big Shot Plus. I will still have the Crossover, Ebosser, Diamond Cutter, Blur Tattered Lace Machine & Big Shot...lol. This will free up more space for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 02:11 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I will always keep my Cuttlebug for embossing. I have the basic shape Spellbinder dies that I still use and will probably buy some of the stitched and pierced dies.

My electronic cutter is an older Cricut Explore which I have used mainly with cartridges. I love the CTMH cartridges because they have so many images and I liked the matching stamp sets. I found that I used the Cricut cartridges less and less after getting the CTMH Cricut cartridges so I sold all but 2 of the Cricut cartidges. Using Cricut Craft Room (Design Studio with newer machines) opens up a lot of possibilities for manipulating images, downloading files, and designing your own cuts.

I don't own a Silhouette but I will say in researching my latest purchase I think they have the nicest collection of images to buy.

So last week I bought the ScanNCut 2 on sale. The advent of matching stamps and dies and the popularity of word dies made me evaluate the benefit of making my own "matching dies" for my already excessive collection of stamps. You can scan and cut images on Cricut and Silhouette but with more steps than the Brother. I knew I could do that but the ease, speed, and simplicity of the Brother sold me. I love it and will use it mostly for scanning and cutting stamped images and designing my own cuts while keeping the Cricut for the CTMH cartridges that I love. I can see myself giving up the Cricut at some point though. At this point Brother doesn't have the best library of images available but it is easy enough to import files. I suspect the availability of free and individual sale of files will continue to grow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I first had a Cuttlebug. Loved it but wanted an electric Bigshot for quickness. It was discontinued for poor motors. Mine is still going fine. I bought dies but found them very expensive. I got my Cameo 4 years ago and use it all the time! It is set up on my work table on a shelf riser so I can use the space below to work or store stuff. I also have riser for my laptop so set up isn't a problem. I have my BShot on another table. I use it rarely. I gave the Cuttlebug away. I have saved a lot by being able to cut any shape, size or design that I want on my Cameo. It is worth any $$ that I spent buying it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have decided to sell several of my electronic and manual die cutters I mean who need so stinking many? Using Ebosser so letting go of Brother Scan n cut, Grand Caliber, Cameo, and new in box Big Shot Plus. I will still have the Crossover, Ebosser, Diamond Cutter, Blur Tattered Lace Machine & Big Shot...lol. This will free up more space for me!
Amber, would you PM me what you want for your SnC and which one it is? All I want it to do is allow me to scan and cut my stamped images...that's it.

You've inspired me to part with my Original Sil and Pink Expression...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertStamperView Post
I will always keep my Cuttlebug for embossing. I have the basic shape Spellbinder dies that I still use and will probably buy some of the stitched and pierced dies.

My electronic cutter is an older Cricut Explore which I have used mainly with cartridges. I love the CTMH cartridges because they have so many images and I liked the matching stamp sets. I found that I used the Cricut cartridges less and less after getting the CTMH Cricut cartridges so I sold all but 2 of the Cricut cartidges. Using Cricut Craft Room (Design Studio with newer machines) opens up a lot of possibilities for manipulating images, downloading files, and designing your own cuts.

I don't own a Silhouette but I will say in researching my latest purchase I think they have the nicest collection of images to buy.

So last week I bought the ScanNCut 2 on sale. The advent of matching stamps and dies and the popularity of word dies made me evaluate the benefit of making my own "matching dies" for my already excessive collection of stamps. You can scan and cut images on Cricut and Silhouette but with more steps than the Brother. I knew I could do that but the ease, speed, and simplicity of the Brother sold me. I love it and will use it mostly for scanning and cutting stamped images and designing my own cuts while keeping the Cricut for the CTMH cartridges that I love. I can see myself giving up the Cricut at some point though. At this point Brother doesn't have the best library of images available but it is easy enough to import files. I suspect the availability of free and individual sale of files will continue to grow.

Cant you cut sil images on the scan and cut?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I had the sizzix old one for years and loved it but was bothering my shoulder having to press the handle down. Also wasn't cutting all the way thru some things. I then got a Big Shot. Love it so much better. I then got the small cricuit and it was ok but saw friends using the big one so sold the small one and got a big one. I hated it. Wouldn't cut thru the paper or was haggard when it cut. Even with the better blades for thick paper. I went back to my Big Shot and sold that one also. I do have the electrical e boss but haven't used it much because I don't have a place to set it up but one of these days I will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I started with the old SIzzix and didn't use it much, because as others have said the dies were expensive, heavy and took up lots of space. Then I got a Big Shot and the thinlits came out and I used ot more. But it was still expensive, so I got a Silhouette and I tried it when it arrived and thought it was pretty darn cool. But there it sat on my counter for a VERRRYYYY long time while I accumulated more designs for "some day soon." Then I thought if I bought the Pixscan that would make cut-outs for my specific stamps I would finally use it. Sold the whole bunch two months ago. I LOVE my Big Shot and when my hands got arthritic and I live in thumb slings I got a Vagabond. I use it All. The. Time.

Another vote for the manual machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertStamperView Post
I have the basic shape Spellbinder dies that I still use and will probably buy some of the stitched and pierced dies.
I love the stitched and pierced dies!

Quote:

My electronic cutter is an older Cricut Explore... I love the CTMH cartridges because they have so many images and I liked the matching stamp sets. I found that I used the Cricut cartridges less and less after getting the CTMH Cricut cartridges so I sold all but 2 of the Cricut cartidges. Using Cricut Craft Room (Design Studio with newer machines) opens up a lot of possibilities for manipulating images, downloading files, and designing your own cuts.
I, too, use the CTMH carts more than any of the Cricut ones.

Quote:

They really do!!

Quote:

So last week I bought the ScanNCut 2 on sale. The advent of matching stamps and dies and the popularity of word dies made me evaluate the benefit of making my own "matching dies" for my already excessive collection of stamps. You can scan and cut images on Cricut and Silhouette but with more steps than the Brother. I knew I could do that but the ease, speed, and simplicity of the Brother sold me.
Congrats on your Scan N Cut!! Is it really as simple as scanning and cutting??

You are SO VERY right!! Takes Forever to do the scan and cut and calibrate....all that on the Cameo....I spent HOURS yesterday trying and I'm DONE trying!! Grr!

Quote:

I love it and will use it mostly for scanning and cutting stamped images and designing my own cuts while keeping the Cricut for the CTMH cartridges that I love. I can see myself giving up the Cricut at some point though. At this point Brother doesn't have the best library of images available but it is easy enough to import files. I suspect the availability of free and individual sale of files will continue to grow.
If there were a realistic way to 'copy' the Cricut designs I love, the Cricut would not have a place on my table. I almost wish I hadn't bought the Explore because I use my Cameo All the time....that and the BigShot. Totally agree with you, Silhouette does have the best images of all out there!
Reply With Quote Likes