View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 10:12 AM   #11
Hoboken Paper
Crimping Master

Completely agree with wavejumper -- find a card you like and see if you can make something similar.

I am not so old, but it still takes me hours to finish a card. Often the idea that I had in my head when I started doesn't quite work the way that I expected it to. I make a lot of components -- a pretty pattern, stamped and die cut images, a length of ribbon -- and then start moving them around until I start to like what I see. It's a lot of trial and error.

Also, consider doing some of the challenges here on SCS. It provides a "beginning" and a direction for a project. There are plenty of color and composition challenges on the web. They're also a fun place to start.

Here are a few nice ones:
Mojo Monday - The Blog

colourQ

Challenge | Your Next Stamp

The Paper Players

Tuesday Morning Sketches

Stamp, Ink, Paper Challenge ? Weekly Challenge Blog

As others mentioned, there are a lot of great blogs and youtube videos with tons of information and instruction. I really like Jennifer McGuire's blog:

Hi There - Jennifer McGuire Ink

She has a lot of videos.

Finally, here's a book for moments when you feel hesitant to just get started:
https://www.amazon.com/Dot-Peter-H-R...ywords=the+dot

Although it's technically a children's book, I think we all feel this way sometimes -- anxious about starting a project.