Thread: Gelli plate
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
kimbee1556
Rubber Obsessor

I bought my first gelli plate at Michael's. They started selling the Stampendous one. After viewing a youtube video comparing the Stampendous vs. Gelli Arts plates, I quickly realized that I should return the Stampendous one. It is very thin which I believe would inhibit good stencil prints. Then, after reading some of the comments from the youtube video, many suggested that a home made gelli plate is by far the best. So, I made one and I'm very happy. I used the recipe from Linda Germain's blog and it makes a nice 8 x 11 plate. After a printing session, I cut up the plate, microwave it for 2 1/2 minutes and pour it back into my pan. And honestly, I feel as though the second and third pourings have made a better plate. As much as I always agree with Lydia's advise, I don't find the homemade plate making odor offensive, so it works for me!

Now, I need to find acrylic paints that make pretty prints. My first two sessions I used acrylic paint from the craft section...you know, the $1.49 bottles. It seems to dry fast on the plate and makes heavy layers on the first print. I even added some blending solution to help out. Works okay. So, as usual, I am taking Lydia's advise and am waiting for Golden Open Acrylics to arrive Saturday. Can't wait to give them a go this weekend. They are fun to make, I just hope I find something to do with the prints I've made.